PDA

View Full Version : Is the Pontiac G8 Back ?? Now... the Impala SS

MMBLUE
05-16-2012, 04:40 AM
Looks like someone in the Bowtie camp smartened up. From Jayski Silly season site; http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Holden to announce export of the Commodore to U.S. as Chevrolet SS: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the Commodore (http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/commodore), which will see the Adelaide [Australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the United States. Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, a Commodore V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the USA hint that an announcement of the Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the Holden connection. The coming VF Commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for American muscle car fans, and NASCAR stock car racing as well, thanks to its V8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now the head of GM operations in the US and a known fan and supporter of the Commodore, dodged Carsguide's questions on a link between the SS program and the Commodore. Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the US, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)

This to me is good news. Maybe the Blue Oval will get their head out of their A$$, and find a 4 door rear wheel drive fast car too and stick it on the market.

ROCOB
05-16-2012, 05:49 AM
This to me is good news. Maybe the Blue Oval will get their head out of their A$$, and find a 4 door rear wheel drive fast car too and stick it on the market.[/QUOTE]

^^^I concur.

Only if we could be so lucky :D

Granddaddy Marq
05-16-2012, 05:59 AM
This to me is good news. Maybe the Blue Oval will get their head out of their A$$, and find a 4 door rear wheel drive fast car too and stick it on the market.

^^^I concur.

Only if we could be so lucky :D[/QUOTE]

I second the motion.

DOOM
05-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Ford needs a performance V-8 RWD sedan!!!!

Right now the Cadillac CTS-V & Chrysler 300 SRT/8 own that market!

Wake up ford!!! :mad2:

mrjones
05-16-2012, 06:32 AM
OK, if they bring this http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/commodore/redline#/sportwagon
here, they have my buckies.

Odinson
05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
OK, if they bring this http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/commodore/redline#/sportwagon
here, they have my buckies.

Agreed! Otherwise rather spend my time and money on restoring a classic or maintaining the marauder. More car, less BS.:banana2:

That other thing is just another blah impala with a bigger engine. Newer model impala looks much nicer.

If regs get tighter as scheduled, only car you can buy in America will be a full sized truck or the size of a shoe. People over 6 feet will have to choose the truck. Yeah that will help lower gas use a bunch. Thanks big bro.

duhtroll
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
The new Escapes are nice and I fit in them very nicely at 6'3".

If they had been around a year earlier, I would have bought one instead of the KIA. (which is basically the same design, including the sync/evo system)

yjmud
05-16-2012, 07:50 AM

come on we have the sho isn't that good enough :lol:

MMBLUE
05-16-2012, 08:16 AM

The SHO would have my vote, but front wheel drive and NO rumble = NO WAY BABY!

2,4shofast
05-16-2012, 08:26 AM

I agree with you, big 4 doors performance cars have not sold well for Ford in the last 20 years or so that is why they kill them off so quickly. I dont know the reason but look at the past cars that were available...

Odinson
05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
The new Escapes are nice and I fit in them very nicely at 6'3".

If they had been around a year earlier, I would have bought one instead of the KIA. (which is basically the same design, including the sync/evo system)

I dunno. I think it looks like a Nissan or Isuzu. Actually liked the old escape.

Bigdogjim
05-16-2012, 08:40 AM
:confused::help:

Ford right now can not change direction. They really must follow the chosen parth to regain market share. Ford now is suffering from ID issue associated with past products. If you watch TV at all you have seen the "go forward" ad. They are Ford autos beeing showcased minus the "Blue Oval"trademark. Why? Because Ford own research shows people get turned off when they see/learn that the "new" car is Ford. So for now Ford must work on Quality and winning back "old" customers.

As much of a fan of rear wheel drive as I am I do not see Ford putting a RWD seadn on the market any time soon.............

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=d4c686f7-e72b-40a3-ae7d-8434cd30a5db

Read the above link to see how bad Ford thinks their image really is.

slickster
05-16-2012, 08:56 AM
There not going to make one atleast for a long time for right now it's the sho and even that's way off

ctrlraven
05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
What the new RWD Impala really is just the middle east Chevy Lumina rebadged.

MMBLUE
05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
What the new RWD Impala really is just the middle east Chevy Lumina rebadged.

Pics or it didn't happen. Are you saying that the Aussie Chevy is made in the middle east or vice versa?

ctrlraven
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. Are you saying that the Aussie Chevy is made in the middle east or vice versa?
Everything steems from Holden, the GTO, G8, Lumina and now Impala. What I meant was Chevy has basically had the "new" Impala for a while already but it was badged as the Lumina which was only sold in the middle eastern market.

This is a 2007 Chevy Lumina which it stayed current until 2011 I believe
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/11/luminassleader.jpg

This is the new 2014 Chevy Impala. When I look at this it reminds me of the Taurus.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-ny.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-new-york-2012/

MMBLUE
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Everything steems from Holden, the GTO, G8, Lumina and now Impala. What I meant was Chevy has basically had the "new" Impala for a while already but it was badged as the Lumina which was only sold in the middle eastern market.

That 2014 Impala looks like sha-zat. It doesn't even look like the Aussie version/ G8 / GTO. I really liked the G8. I even took it for a test drive. I hope the SS doesn't look like THAT YUK. You are so right looks like a Taurus. I guess the thing I hate about it is, it looks tall but it really isn't. I looks as if someone squeezed the sides in and the roof popped up.

duhtroll
05-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Except the mileage sucks compared to the imports.

Like I said, the new ones are much better in that regard and have lots of room, but I didn't know they were on the horizon when I made the purchase last year. My wife has an '09 Escape and I like it fine, but mine gets much better MPG with the same amount of room.

I dunno. I think it looks like a Nissan or Isuzu. Actually liked the old escape.

BlackJack
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
:confused::help:

Ford right now can not change direction. They really must follow the chosen parth to regain market share. Ford now is suffering from ID issue associated with past products. If you watch TV at all you have seen the "go forward" ad. They are Ford autos beeing showcased minus the "Blue Oval"trademark. Why? Because Ford own research shows people get turned off when they see/learn that the "new" car is Ford. So for now Ford must work on Quality and winning back "old" customers.

As much of a fan of rear wheel drive as I am I do not see Ford putting a RWD sedan on the market any time soon.............

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=d4c686f7-e72b-40a3-ae7d-8434cd30a5db

Read the above link to see how bad Ford thinks their image really is.

I've had an '05 Mustang, '06 Mustang GT, & an '08 F-350 and had zero problems. Mopar drivetrains have problems and a buddy of mine basically had the whole drivetrain repaired/ replaced on his CTS-V just before the powertrain wty went out after it left him stranded in another state with a busted transmission. Fancy looks and big sticker prices won't get you home. Fords will. If they could paint a car without orange peel they would be perfect to me.

RF Overlord
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, I think Ford is through with RWD. Very sad.

Kudos to General Motors for bringing another V8 RWD sedan to the market, even if the looks are mediocre. The twin turbo Eco-Boost, is WAY over-complicated and will be massively expensive to maintain in the long run.

FastMerc
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM

^^^I concur.

Only if we could be so lucky :D[/QUOTE]
Dont need it,I got my marauder thats what works for me...

FreddieH
05-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Fords Aussie site is : www.fpv.com.au (http://www.fpv.com.au) They allready have what we need here.

MMBLUE
05-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Fords Aussie site is : www.fpv.com.au (http://www.fpv.com.au) They allready have what we need here.

Linky no worky..

BUCKWHEAT
05-17-2012, 04:38 AM
The SHO would have my vote, but front wheel drive and NO rumble = NO WAY BABY!
The SHO is only all-wheel drive. I have the Lincoln version & it beats most street stuff, handles really well and, is quiet, in contrast to my MM. You can get a Livernois tune for the SHO that perks it up into the 12s. My stocker is just over 14 seconds with no mods.

Vortex
05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
The new Impala is a totally different car from the upcoming "SS" (by the way, what a crappy name, they should have just called it a Bel Air or Caprice or Chevelle). The new Impala is similar to the Buick Lacrosse, the new Cadillac and the new Malibu; the upcoming "SS" is the same underneath as the Holden made GTO, police Caprice, G8 and the Camaro. A very nice car. Have to say my feelings on big V8 cars is under review lately. I love the way they drive and all but we all know the general trend is smaller more efficient high performance cars. I dont think I will ever buy another new big V8 car (though I understand why keeping an older one is just fine). There are just too many real nice small cars out there like the new Focus RS (wish there was a 2 door though), Golf GTI and others. Hell, even the new Beetle Turbo is pretty cool. No more new big cars w/V8s for me I think.

jerrym3
05-17-2012, 06:42 AM
I lean towards 2 drs for performance/sporty cars.

Not as practical, but, IMHO, more attractive.

CBT
05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
The SHO is only all-wheel drive. I have the Lincoln version & it beats most street stuff, handles really well and, is quiet, in contrast to my MM. You can get a Livernois tune for the SHO that perks it up into the 12s. My stocker is just over 14 seconds with no mods.

What vehicle is this?

justbob
05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Ford will introduce the next RWD V8 sedan in 2022. Approximately NINE YEARS after Chevrolet debuts the SS. Atleast if history repeats that is... 94 Imp SS > 03 Marauder

WOW, drag our heels much? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Odinson
05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Ford will introduce the next RWD V8 sedan in 2022. Approximately NINE YEARS after Chevrolet debuts the SS. Atleast if history repeats that is... 94 Imp SS > 03 Marauder

WOW, drag our heels much? :rolleyes:

Actually I think that is spot on. And it may be another 17 ft car, possibly even with pretty wings and curves and bad aero dynamics.

Here's the catch, it'll be electric. Sorry man peak oil is fact. Marauder was the last stand. Not so bad really. The biggest problem will be tuning the motors down so the car is somewhat controllable.

justbob
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Hold up. I'm wrong. Forgot its already 2012. We will all be dead 12/21...

Best to just keep the Rauders folks.