PDA

View Full Version : Any Astronomy/Telescope Experts out There?

WhatsUpDOHC
05-17-2012, 10:38 AM
My 8 y/o son is expressing interest in the planets, stars, solar system, etc. and I would like to get a decent telescope for us (I've always had an interest as well).

I bought a telescope at a garage sale to get us started but we're already outgrowing it.

Can anyone help me with the purchase of a decent telescope that will allow us to see details on Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, etc. (No Uranus jokes - My son has plenty of them)?

Thanks,

Mark

IwantmyMMnow!
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
My 8 y/o son is expressing interest in the planets, stars, solar system, etc. and I would like to get a decent telescope for us (I've always had an interest as well).

I bought a telescope at a garage sale to get us started but we're already outgrowing it.

Can anyone help me with the purchase of a decent telescope that will allow us to see details on Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, etc. (No Uranus jokes - My son has plenty of them)?

Thanks,

Mark

That's awesome! Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm taking an astromony class this fall at UNC-A; I also had the privilege of being assigned to a solar observatory up in Mass during my AF career. While we didn't use telescopes to look at planets, it was still a very interesting assignment. We monitored the sun for solar flares, coronal mass ejections, etc. If you plan on being in the Boston area any time soon, let me know and I'll give you the info on where it is and can call the observatory and arrange a tour of the site...we used to do that sort of stuff for local schools when I was there.

If you didn't know already, spaceweather.com is an awesome website!

IwantmyMMnow!
05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Looks like we had a big flare late last night...

Kodimar
05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Not sure what your budget is but I've been wanting to buy this one for a while

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-for-Beginners/Orion-StarBlast-45-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/339/p/9798.uts?refineByCategoryId=33 9

Mike M
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-for-Beginners/Orion-StarBlast-45-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/339/p/9798.uts?refineByCategoryId=33 9

Nice find, you will be able to see the rings around Saturn and the The Galilean moons no problem.
Great price...check Amazon with that part #

jsignorelli
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I have four Celestron Telescopes. I teach an Honors Astonomy elective at a Science High School in Northern NJ.

If your son wants to see only solar system objects, get an 80 mm or larger REFRACTING telescope. My scopes are 100, 120, and 150 mm
If he might want to see galaxies, then the 150 mm or larger REFLECTING telescope is the choice. I have a 150 mm and I can get great resolutions on Andromeda, et al on a clear night. The plants and moon are so bright that you think you are in orbit above their surface.
The best mounts allow for setting ascension and declination (up/down & right/left) in what are called "setting circles". These are called German Equitorial mounts.

Coated lens are standard on the Celestron, and Orion telescopes. Buy them from dealers on line an save a bundle.
These brands have real glass lens, and can be upgraded later for motor drives etc as you son gets into the hobby.
If you need specific details on how to set up the telescope, email me and we'll get you on track fast.

I don't know what your budget allows but $ 450 and up is your range for quality. Celestron has an XLT-102 ($ 499.00) which is fit for the serious adult amateur astronomer. I have purchased my scopes from "Hands On Optics". They have been extremely reliable and honest. I ordered one day, and had the scopes within two days. Go to their website. A camera store in NYC (Adorama) is also very good.

STEPS
05-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I agree the Celestron is great but for a beginner try a Meade.
this hobby will run into $$$$$$$. enjoy and if you get a chance see the movie Hubblel in 3D Imax
I worked on the flight guidance systems

jsignorelli
05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi Mark:

Good name, my son is also Mark.

Buy your son some computer software to help him map the sky. This way he can plan on what will be visible. Kids get a kick out of planning and then actually finding and seeing the objects. It becomes a treasure hunt for them. I teach seniors in HS and they act like they are in primary grades when thet look through the eyepiece.
"The Night Sky" is good. There are some free websites for this as well. The astronomy magazine webpage is very good. You can sign up with them for free emails with what is going to be visible each month.

WhatsUpDOHC
05-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I have four Celestron Telescopes. I teach an Honors Astonomy elective at a Science High School in Northern NJ.

If your son wants to see only solar system objects, get an 80 mm or larger REFRACTING telescope. My scopes are 100, 120, and 150 mm
If he might want to see galaxies, then the 150 mm or larger REFLECTING telescope is the choice. I have a 150 mm and I can get great resolutions on Andromeda, et al on a clear night. The plants and moon are so bright that you think you are in orbit above their surface.
The best mounts allow for setting ascension and declination (up/down & right/left) in what are called "setting circles". These are called German Equitorial mounts.

Coated lens are standard on the Celestron, and Orion telescopes. Buy them from dealers on line an save a bundle.
These brands have real glass lens, and can be upgraded later for motor drives etc as you son gets into the hobby.
If you need specific details on how to set up the telescope, email me and we'll get you on track fast.

I don't know what your budget allows but $ 450 and up is your range for quality. Celestron has an XLT-102 ($ 499.00) which is fit for the serious adult amateur astronomer. I have purchased my scopes from "Hands On Optics". They have been extremely reliable and honest. I ordered one day, and had the scopes within two days. Go to their website. A camera store in NYC (Adorama) is also very good.

Hi Mark:

Good name, my son is also Mark.

Buy your son some computer software to help him map the sky. This way he can plan on what will be visible. Kids get a kick out of planning and then actually finding and seeing the objects. It becomes a treasure hunt for them. I teach seniors in HS and they act like they are in primary grades when thet look through the eyepiece.
"The Night Sky" is good. There are some free websites for this as well. The astronomy magazine webpage is very good. You can sign up with them for free emails with what is going to be visible each month.

Thanks Jim!!! :bows:

Sounds like I came to the right place - I'll look around for the models that you mention. Would you mind if I gave you a call if I have questions?

Thanks again - This is great!

Mark

WhatsUpDOHC
05-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Hey -

Thanks for the response - What do you like about this telescope?

I appreciate your sending me the link.

Mark

Kodimar
05-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Hey -

Thanks for the response - What do you like about this telescope?

I appreciate your sending me the link.

Mark

My brother has the 6 inch telescope by the same company. The optics and the tripod seem very high quality for the money.

But I think as long as you get one from any of the major brands you'll be ok. As far as mirror size goes I wouldn't get anything less than 4 inch or you'll be struggling to get enough light.

Also you'll want a few good quality eye pieces for looking at different stuff such as the moon, planets, deep space objects you'll want different powered eye pieces.

jsignorelli
05-22-2012, 08:34 PM
When buying a telescope which is planned to be a "keeper", well past childhood dreams, make sure that the gears are NOT aluminum. Brass or bronze is long lasting. A little vaseline from time to time keeps the gears lubed. Aluminum gears used on "discount" scopes fail in a few years and what a surprise, replacement parts are not available!
Celestron, Orion, and many Meade scopes stand by their products.

sailsmen
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
A friend, Ken Stage, owns this observatory http://www.stgeorgeobservatory.com/

Moon Pic he took
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/moon2.jpg

I have been to talks by Charlie Duke, Story Musgrave and Joe Kittenger at the Observatory. Ken Stage is the best speaker I have ever heard on the heavens. His enthusiasim and ability to put the information in tmers we can all relate to is outstanding.

I picked Charlie up at the airport. I have had dinner with Jim Lovell and Tom Stafford. My Dad went to school with both of them.

WhatsUpDOHC
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
A friend, Ken Stage, owns this observatory http://www.stgeorgeobservatory.com/

Moon Pic he took

I have been to talks by Charlie Duke, Story Musgrave and Joe Kittenger at the Observatory. Ken Stage is the best speaker I have ever heard on the heavens. His enthusiasim and ability to put the information in tmers we can all relate to is outstanding.

I picked Charlie up at the airport. I have had dinner with Jim Lovell and Tom Stafford. My Dad went to school with both of them.

Man!

That's cool!

IwantmyMMnow!
12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I know this thread is old, but I just bought a Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker Telescope for my son for xmas, based on what you guys posted up earlier this year.

Got it on amazon for $140....a little more than I wanted to spend, but it appeared that $150 was the line between 'kinda okay' and 'good'. Saw one telescope priced at $15K...yowza!

It also comes with:

3x Barlow Lens
German Equatorial Mount
127mm Aperture
1000mm Focal Length
aluminum tripod and accessory tray
"The Sky" Level 1 planetarium software with 10,000 object database and enhanced images

Hope he likes it!

WhatsUpDOHC
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I know this thread is old, but I just bought a Celestron 127EQ PowerSeeker Telescope for my son for xmas, based on what you guys posted up earlier this year.

Got it on amazon for $140....a little more than I wanted to spend, but it appeared that $150 was the line between 'kinda okay' and 'good'. Saw one telescope priced at $15K...yowza!

It also comes with:

3x Barlow Lens
German Equatorial Mount
127mm Aperture
1000mm Focal Length
aluminum tripod and accessory tray
"The Sky" Level 1 planetarium software with 10,000 object database and enhanced images

Hope he likes it!
Have a great time with it!
Dark skies in Ashevlle!!

MMcactusflower
12-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I started with a Polaris by Meade...and went up from there...it is a good starting scope...but if you want a better one...what these guys said is right on.

IwantmyMMnow!
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Have a great time with it!
Dark skies in Ashevlle!!

The Blue Ridge Parkway is an excellent place for star-gazing...even without a telescope!

WhatsUpDOHC
12-19-2012, 04:18 AM
You got it - You're all set!

mcb26
12-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Just bought one for my wife for Christmas.
http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestronastromaster114eqrefle ctor.cfm