PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new toy...have questions...

rossv1
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone. So I bought a 1987 Buick Grand National last week and am excited to get it out and around the block with it this summer. My question is for those who have owned one before, what should i watch out for in terms of known problems. Also for NJ residents, I registered it as historical registration ("QQ" plates) and the person at the DMV told me I don't get a inspection sticker AT ALL. I thought I got a triangular sticker...is this true? Thanks.

MOTOWN
05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Congrats on one of the best machines ever made! make sure the vacum line to your oem waste gate is intact!!

mine melted under the heat, and caused me to overboost my stock engine and blew a head gasket!

So i built a stage II buick V6 oncenter single turbo motor! made 1072 rwhp! pm me if you have any questions, or problems the are great cars, be sure to check out the turbo 6 boards/forums.

Mike M
05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey everyone. So I bought a 1987 Buick Grand National last week and am excited to get it out and around the block with it this summer. My question is for those who have owned one before, what should i watch out for in terms of known problems. Also for NJ residents, I registered it as historical registration ("QQ" plates) and the person at the DMV told me I don't get a inspection sticker AT ALL. I thought I got a triangular sticker...is this true? Thanks.

No inspection in NJ with QQ

Yep make sure the rubber hose isn't melted, if it is...it will.
I am an original owner of mine and still have it. Wonderful car.

Mr. Man
05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Triangle sticker is for collectible autos under 25yrs. Yours is an antique, 25 and over.

Panther
05-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Would our 04 MM be considered collectible under 25 yrs old.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fsvz4m
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Panther

wickedmerc
05-23-2012, 05:14 AM

WOW Ross, that's awesome!! :up: I dig those GN's. The GN has a huge following and there are plenty of sites like this 1 to guide you.

With QQ plates, I understand you don't need inspection. I think you need to swing it by an inspection station so they can verify your odometer reading and that it functions, that's it. No more than 3k miles per year. Keep checking DMV site, they keep changing the rules.

I do have a question, 2 actually: 1. Aren't you a college student?? I know you work a few jobs but....3 cars?!? and 2. where the heck you keeping these machines??

Best of luck with all your vehicles. How'd the MM body work come out?

wickedmerc
05-23-2012, 05:18 AM

---

I think any car can be considered "collectible". It really depends on how much you use it. Most collectible/historic regs restrict annual driving to less than 3000 miles per year. Check with DMV website.

rossv1
05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the responses you guys. Yes I am a college student (just graduated from Rutgers...GO RU). I do have three cars because I have an inheritance that I have most of it invested and the last little bit I used to get my truck and the gn (bought my mm through a trade-in). Btw if anyone is interested i a 02 Harley truck let me know. Im looking to possibly trade/sell, gas is not good at all with that thing lol.

Im still learning about the gn, mainly with how turbos work, but the person who had my car before ran an extra positive wire from the fan so that i can shut off the car and keep the fan running to cool down the turbo. If i can find the craigslist list ad that listed all the mods I will let you guys know what is in this car already (had a completely built engine in it from a shop in North Carolina, rebuilt transmission, etc. it was built to be a race car almost)

Also, with the inspection. Since I don't get a sticker does that mean they inspect the odometer when i renew my registration card then?

See you at Carlisle

CBT
05-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Right on, post some pics for us to drool on. :beer:

Rockettman
05-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Right on, post some pics for us to drool on. :beer:

Thank God I went back to read what this thread was about after I read that! ;)

rossv1
05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Ok i posted some pics in my photo bucket album...

http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/fubu992000usa/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Should be on the first page. These were just photos for the insurance company and registering it. Also, I included two photos of my truck as well. Im in the middle of moving my stuff back home to Cape May now but when I get the chance I will take more detailed photos so those of you who know this can can help identify things for me. By no means is this a perfect car (my personal project). Im replacing the bumper fillers in the rear and the brake accumulator since the light flashes when i brake.

sd8683
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Beautiful ride! Mind me asking how much you paid for it? Always wanted one!

rossv1
05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
The guy had it original listed for 13.5k. When i found it, it was down to 11.5k. I negotiated with him that I would buy it for 11.5k if he got the rear bumper fillers and brake accumulator for me with his discount, because he use to run Cars inc. (google it and it shows all sorts of buick parts for sale).

Mr. Man
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes and it's a bit of leg work on the owners part. First you need collectible insurance from an insurer who is willing to accept the Marauder as collectible, not all will. Then you need to send photos and an explanation as to why the MM's collectible to the State and they will make a determination. Be easy if you can find someone who has done it already as there would be presedent.
I have looked into it but it's actually cheaper insurance wise for me to put them "in storage" over the Winter.

---

I think any car can be considered "collectible". It really depends on how much you use it. Most collectible/historic regs restrict annual driving to less than 3000 miles per year. Check with DMV website. I believe that it's 3000 or 3500 miles. If you have the collectible sticker then all the inspection people should look at is the mileage.

Thanks for the responses you guys. Yes I am a college student (just graduated from Rutgers...GO RU). I do have three cars because I have an inheritance that I have most of it invested and the last little bit I used to get my truck and the gn (bought my mm through a trade-in). Btw if anyone is interested i a 02 Harley truck let me know. Im looking to possibly trade/sell, gas is not good at all with that thing lol.

Im still learning about the gn, mainly with how turbos work, but the person who had my car before ran an extra positive wire from the fan so that i can shut off the car and keep the fan running to cool down the turbo. If i can find the craigslist list ad that listed all the mods I will let you guys know what is in this car already (had a completely built engine in it from a shop in North Carolina, rebuilt transmission, etc. it was built to be a race car almost)

Also, with the inspection. Since I don't get a sticker does that mean they inspect the odometer when i renew my registration card then?

See you at CarlisleThey will inpect the miles in lieu of the OBDll test, or as in our case a tailpipe smoke test.

CBT
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM
The guy had it original listed for 13.5k. When i found it, it was down to 11.5k. I negotiated with him that I would buy it for 11.5k if he got the rear bumper fillers and brake accumulator for me with his discount, because he use to run Cars inc. (google it and it shows all sorts of buick parts for sale).

Nice car, man! :beer:

Shaijack
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Great purchase, one of my favorite autos. When I grow up I would like one. Truth is they have one for sale a few blocks over but we can't agree on the price. I even showed him cash for the sale.
Casey you would drool over Mike's Golden Rod picture.

Mr. Man
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Going to need you to bring it at the next NJ/NY/PA/ mini meet. Speaking of which late June?

CBT
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Great purchase, one of my favorite autos. When I grow up I would like one. Truth is they have one for sale a few blocks over but we can't agree on the price. I even showed him cash for the sale.
Casey you would drool over Mike's Golden Rod picture.

Afraid to ask. If it even remotely relates to the e-mails you send me, I am absolutley NOT going to ask, lol. :rolleyes:

STEPS
05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
before I retired I work with the Dorsey Gage company where I built and delivered and gave in service on a instrument call the Piston ring tension gage, Buick bought this gage to measure each set of piston rings that went into that engine
enjoy the car it will give you a lot pleasure.

wickedmerc
05-25-2012, 08:13 PM
First and foremost....Congratulations also on your Rutgers graduation :2thumbs: :banana:

The GN looks sharp bro, congrats!! While I happen to love stock Grand National rims, those Centerlines and the tint make it look mean. I totally agree with Mr Man, you gotta bring that GN to our next gathering for proper inspection ;)

Myself and several others can vouch for that truck of yours. I had to do a triple-take when I heard it was an '02.....super clean!

Baaad GN
05-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Nice GN, did you mention mileage? just wondering.

rossv1
05-27-2012, 07:13 AM
It has about 71,6xx miles on it now. Took it for a long cruise around cape may county yesterday and I've never gotten so much attention lol. I will take it to the next local meet whether its fudruckers or Englishman. Im sending the car to this shop just south of Philadelphia after carlisle that specialines in 3.8 turbos just to let them inspect it thoroughly and give it a clean bill of health.

wickedmerc
05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Took it for a long cruise around cape may county yesterday and I've never gotten so much attention lol.

They're probably thinking the same thing I think when I see a car like yours....
"How the Hell does he get away with tinted front windows in NJ?!?!?" :dunno: ---> :D

I'm just messin' with you man. That GN looks sick!