PDA

View Full Version : Flood today...

IwantmyMMnow!
05-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Since I moved into my place at the beginning of the year, I’ve sometimes wondered how much rain it would take to make the creek that runs near my place flood. I found out today when we received somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches of rain in about 30 minutes from a thunderstorm. The creek is usually very shallow (less than a foot deep) and the banks are 4-5 feet high. When I took these pics, the water had already begun to recede, and within 30-45 minutes had receded enough to where the creek was back within its banks and flowing under (not over) the little bridge that crosses it. There is another little bridge about 200-300 yards upstream; a 250 gallon oil tank (empty, thankfully) had been washed up against it, causing a huge dam and caused the water to re-route itself into my neighborhood. The edge of the floodwater was about 6-8 feet from the back of my car…my driveway is about 100 feet from the creek.

Bluerauder
05-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Since I moved into my place at the beginning of the year, I’ve sometimes wondered how much rain it would take to make the creek that runs near my place flood. I found out today when we received somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches of rain in about 30 minutes from a thunderstorm. The creek is usually very shallow (less than a foot deep) and the banks are 4-5 feet high. When I took these pics, the water had already begun to recede, and within 30-45 minutes had receded enough to where the creek was back within its banks and flowing under (not over) the little bridge that crosses it. There is another little bridge about 200-300 yards upstream; a 250 gallon oil tank (empty, thankfully) had been washed up against it, causing a huge dam and caused the water to re-route itself into my neighborhood. The edge of the floodwater was about 6-8 feet from the back of my car…my driveway is about 100 feet from the creek.

I hope you have flood insurance. If not, you should consider some soon.

IwantmyMMnow!
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I hope you have flood insurance. If not, you should consider some soon.

I'm renting and yes, I have renter's insurance. I can move my car to higher ground nearby if/when needed.

SC Cheesehead
05-24-2012, 04:33 AM
:eek:

Whoda thunk flooding in Asheville?

Glad you didn't have any water damage.

CBT
05-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Too close for comfort!

SC Cheesehead
05-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Too close for comfort!

That's what Joey said.... ;)

Bigdogjim
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Renters insurance might not cover flood damage? It's worth a call to check.

I lived through that for years when I lived 1/2 block off the Delaware River:mad:

I got smart and moved:)

SC Cheesehead
05-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Renters insurance might not cover flood damage? It's worth a call to check.

I lived through that for years when I lived 1/2 block off the Delaware River:mad:

I got smart and moved:)

Yeah, but not too smart; you're still in Jersey... ;) ------> :D

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X508/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-0235494.jpg

MyBlackBeasts
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm renting and yes, I have renter's insurance. I can move my car to higher ground nearby if/when needed.

Renters Insurance does not cover a loss by Flood.
You need a Personal Property only (Renters) Flood policy from a FEMA approved flood writer (providing your community participates in the FEMA program. If they don't = oh well).