PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Sport Trac - any thoughts?

Green96
05-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I had to put the MM back in DD service last November. I am in a position again where I am considering adding another vehicle to the fleet. I am thinking about a 1st gen Sport Trac V-6 2WD. Anyone have any experience with one of these? Any thoughts in general?

I am a little concerned about the transmission reliability/longevity. Anything else I should be worried about?

SC Cheesehead
05-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Basically it's an Explorer. If you can get feedback through KBB or NADA on recalls, etc, that should give you a good idea about the reliability of the Sport Trac.

Just out of curiousity, why do you think the trans would be an issue on these?

Green96
05-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I read someplace that there were some issues with the explorer transmissions. I do not know if is this one, or a different one. This one will be the 5spd auto.

breeze
05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
My co worker has one he likes it and he's a Dodge Ram guy.

Green96
05-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I have thought that the only problem with the transmission in the explorer might be that the soccer moms that drive them do not maintain them properly. Also whatever I read said the the transmission frequently needed replaced. Since I have already stereotyped once I will do it again and assume that same group wouldn't know the difference between a transmission that needed replaced and one that needed a cheap sensor or solenoid.

EMAS
05-26-2012, 05:48 PM
You want one new enough to have the V8 not the V6 do a search on the SOHC 4.0 Timing chain. They turned the old pushrod 4.0 into that engine and since they didn't want to cast 2 unique heads and wanted the timing cover to be part of the head one of the timing chains is in the back of the block and they are not particularly reliable. Also many places like to say "ALL" Fords are supposed to use 5-20 and if you use that in the SOHC 4.0 you will pound out your rod bearings. Even if they do get the 5-30 a rod knock on start up is common on the 4.0 SOHC if they set for more than a few hours w/o running and they've got a 100K on them.

Save yourself some money, by paying the extra gas for the 1MPG loss and not have to mess with the engine.

One of the problems with the 5R55E trans is the lack of a dip stick. There is a 2 step plug in the pan. Pull the inner plug and have access to the fill tube/level check. To add fluid you have to have the engine running vehicle level and pump fluid over the top of that tube until it runs out. Remove the outer plug and drain the fluid, but of course then you have to figure out how to get fluid back in the trans. For that reason many places will only use the "fluid exchange" machine which means the filter never gets changed and it plugs up. It also means that the place likely used "universal" fluid with some sort of fluid converter additive. So a certain percentage certainly fail from a lack of proper maintenance. The solenoids do fail and depending on which and how long it is attempted to be driven like that can kill the trans and of course there are those shops that would rather sell a $xxxx transmission replacement instead of a $xxx solenoid replacement.

Green96
05-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Interesting info on the 4.0 motor. I saw several listings with higher miles mentioning new engines also, but didn't really think that much of it. Figured people had not been doing their oil changes often enough if ever. Thanks for the info.

guspech750
05-26-2012, 06:18 PM
My only experince with them is one of my clients has one. Ive riden in it many times and I find it really small inside, not much room. Im 6'2"

Green96
05-26-2012, 07:18 PM
My only experince with them is one of my clients has one. Ive riden in it many times and I find it really small inside, not much room. Im 6'2"

Not a problem for me, I am 5'8" if I wear my "tall shoes".

guspech750
05-26-2012, 07:19 PM
:lol:
Not a problem for me, I am 5'8" if I wear my "tall shoes".
:lol:

Vortex
05-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Not a truck, not an SUV; each to their own but I can think of lots better stuff out there.

Green96
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Not a truck, not an SUV; each to their own but I can think of lots better stuff out there.

I don't need to size, cost, mpgs of a full size truck, but I have 2 small kids that still ride in car seats so I need it to seat 4. I would get a Ranger, but even with an extended cab it is really useless for more than 2 people. The Sport Trac gets me enough hauling capacity to do everything I need that the Marauder will not do.

MrBluGruv
05-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Two thoughts:

My buddy has a Sport Trac with like 150K miles, has gotten to a point of near total neglect but still runs reliably (although not necessarily confidently). They should be fairly tough.

Secondly, have you seen the Sport Trac Adrenalin? Pretty intense truck that seems to fly under most peoples' radar. :eek:

Ozark Marauder
05-27-2012, 08:38 AM
A friend, who sells real estate and uses it in her business has one with 150,000 on it. I've ridden in it and it runs well, and she drives aggressive, read....lead foot.:burn: Disclaimer: Dealer serviced since new and it has the V8......

OZ