PDA

View Full Version : Plasti dipping continues:) haha

marauder21
06-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Well finally got around And plasti dipped my wheels And so far its not too bad:) lol let me know What you guys think.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

marauder21
06-05-2012, 02:18 PM

CBT
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I like it, nice color contrast. :beer:

marauder21
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I like it, nice color contrast. :beer:

I'm thinking of doing the grill black to combine the rims but eh idk haha but my friend gave me the idea of doing the mufflers lmao but the plasti dip will probably melt right off because of the heat

ctrlraven
06-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I guess your friend doesn't realize you can't even see the mufflers to begin with.

Mebot
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey man looking good! I like the red calipers too. The plasti dip really makes the calipers stand out & like cbt said its a good contrast! :thumbup:

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge

MercNasty
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
looks good man. yea u should do the grill black to.

guspech750
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks really good bubs.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

marauder21
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I guess your friend doesn't realize you can't even see the mufflers to begin with.

He doesn't know the difference between an automatic or manual car(he drives a soul)...lmao I told him if he meant the tips and he's just like, "what tits?" Yup I have an idiotic friend haha but yeah kinda thinking about doing the grill and maybe the window chrome, but eh I'm still iffy about it. We'll Just have to see...

Rockettman
06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree with the others.
The rims look great; do the grill also. Black it out. Hey, if you don't like it; peel it off. But do the grill.

marauder21
06-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree with the others.
The rims look great; do the grill also. Black it out. Hey, if you don't like it; peel it off. But do the grill.

It is decided...I shall do the grill, later lmao I'm a bit "fatigue" right now haha. I'm afraid imma go plasti dip crazy:rolleyes:

IwantmyMMnow!
06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Not to knock or anything, but I just don't like the plasti-dip; just not for me I guess, but you do what makes you happy! To each his own...would be a boring 'car group' if everyone looked the same.

Have you ordered floor mats with red lettering from redlinetuning.com yet?

marauder21
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Not to knock or anything, but I just don't like the plasti-dip; just not for me I guess, but you do what makes you happy! To each his own...would be a boring 'car group' if everyone looked the same.

Imma take off the plasti off later on...eventually lol just having a little fun..
And red marauder mats??:eek: hhmm maybe but eh I'm good with the original ones:D

IwantmyMMnow!
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Imma take off the plasti off later on...eventually lol just having a little fun..
And red marauder mats??:eek: hhmm maybe but eh I'm good with the original ones:D

These are better...ask me and about 100 others how I/we know...

marauder21
06-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok...how are they better? Lol no seriously though how do they differ from the original ones? And well I dunno cause I mean I have my original mats under an all purpose weather rubber mat. But hey...these red lettered mats you speak off could match my custom seat covers:D

dohc324ci
06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Looks good man!

Vortech347
06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm that guy...

Yuck. Black wheels always look dirty. If I wanted more black, I'd run 15's with a big sidewall.

Rockettman
06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
OP; remember to put cardboard or something as a blocker between the grill and the rad. (If you're not going to remove it of course). You don't want to coat your rad in that stuff. ;)

ctrlraven
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM
As I said in another thread, the best part about the plasti dip is that it's totally reversible. I've actually been thinking of taking mine off. I already pulled it off my Taurus wheels but left it on the center cap for a contrast look which actually looks nice. For those that run stock wheels during the winter time up north it's a perfect solution to keep the stock wheel finish looking great during the winter months.

marauder21
06-06-2012, 09:52 AM
ctrlraven actually in some way motivated me a bit more to try it, and yes I could easily take it off I don't want too I'm just simply experimenting to see how my car will look "blacked out" kinda lol I mean I've seen black marauders all blacked out but never a DTR so eh why not try it. And yes rockettman, wwaayyy ahead Of you lol I already got the cardboard I'm Just doing some errands before I go home and spray the grill:)

bugsyc
06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
They look black...There are 3 black Marauders in Horry county,where I live..One belongs to an older guy who owns a body shop..He painted his wheels high gloss black with a clear coat..He of course thinks they look great,not me.....Isn't the grill already black??? If you like them that's what counts.Any mod that makes your car a little individualized,I'm in favor of.....bugsy...:)

marauder21
06-06-2012, 10:03 AM
They look black...There are 3 black Marauders in Horry county,where I live..One belongs to an older guy who owns a body shop..He painted his wheels high gloss black with a clear coat..He of course thinks they look great,not me.....Isn't the grill already black??? If you like them that's what counts.Any mod that makes your car a little individualized,I'm in favor of.....bugsy...:)

I agree with you^^ to each his own car. And well the only marauders that came with black grills Are the black ones and silver ones..but I could be wrong. And well I've never seen a DTR marauder with a black rims, black grill, and with a black window chrome. So eh Why not try it and Just see how it looks :beer:

ctrlraven
06-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Also to note providing you have at least 5 layers of spray on, you can spray clear coat on the plasti dip as well to go from a Matte look to gloss look, just an fyi.

marauder21
06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Also to note providing you have at least 5 layers of spray on, you can spray clear coat on the plasti dip as well to go from a Matte look to gloss look, just an fyi.

yeah I know I wanted to go for the gloss look but the thing is you could only get the gloss spray online. And well eh idk I didn't wanna get TTOO serious with this project :rolleyes:

Mebot
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
You dipped your wheels and left the godshead chrome, which I like. That's how i did mine. Each to their own, but I like that undercover, dog-dish hubcap kind of look. Always have. I think the chrome wheels on our cars looks fantastic but this project can help you decide whether you want to stay with dark wheels or not.

As I mentioned in my other thread i was thinking about purhcasing aftermarket black wheels, but just wansn't sure how i would feel. Doing the plasti-dip helps, because you know its not permanent and you can go back to stock chrome at any time w/out feeling like you blew $600 - $1000

marauder21
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
^^ exactly my thought. Like the marauder look stock to me, it looks like a clean respectful look. Like James bond type thing, like always looking nice with a tuxedo and everything but deadly. Lol and idk the black on black just looks bad to bone Like aggressive!! Just my thoughts haha.

And at first I tried going for a chrome lip look but it Just didn't work out with the plasti:/ lol but it still did its job though!:)

Mebot
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
did you paint your calipers yourself?

marauder21
06-06-2012, 11:43 AM
did you paint your calipers yourself?

Yes sir I did :) not the greatest job ever but it looks pretty decent. I used VHT spray in case Your wondering

marauder21
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Only reason why I'd be interested in the red lettered mats :D

guspech750
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Only reason why I'd be interested in the red lettered mats :D

Yes. Order a pair of mats with the red lettering. I love mine and the quality is way better than the paper thin OEM junk mats.

Sent from my iPhone

marauder21
06-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes. Order a pair of mats with the red lettering. I love mine and the quality is way better than the paper thin OEM junk mats.

Sent from my iPhone

They look just Like the original? Hhhmmm quick pic bro? Oh and Joe I gotta talk to you! Lol I might need your help with something...(not like that people) haha. :rolleyes:

IwantmyMMnow!
06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
They look just Like the original? Hhhmmm quick pic bro? Oh and Joe I gotta talk to you! Lol I might need your help with something...(not like that people) haha. :rolleyes:

This is what they look like w/silver lettering...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79469

marauder21
06-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Hhmm...tempting tempting...imma look into it. Thanks bro!! Kinda wanna get em just so it can go with the seat covers haha it'll look like an entire set!!

guspech750
06-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Wuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzz aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap?

:burnout:

Sent from my iPhone

marauder21
06-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Check my other thread I started^^ :D

marauder21
06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Well I haven't tried painting the grill yet, but I did however try something a little different....check it out.

marauder21
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
The pictures don't quite do it justice, but I tried my best. Maybe later on ill take better pics and post them up if requested:D

IwantmyMMnow!
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Plasti-dip or pinstripe? (Sorry, I had to ask) Goes well with your rims. I think it will look really good when you black out the window chrome.

It's got me thinking I might give the plasti-dip a try when winter rolls in around here. I've already got black pinstriping and black titanium inserts. Will give me a chance to try it out and protect my wheels from the elements...

marauder21
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Plasti-dip or pinstripe? (Sorry, I had to ask) Goes well with your rims. I think it will look really good when you black out the window chrome.

It's got me thinking I might give the plasti-dip a try when winter rolls in around here. I've already got black pinstriping and black titanium inserts. Will give me a chance to try it out and protect my wheels from the elements...

Nope all plasti dip. I Just used one bottle and its STILL 90% full! ! Lol
And I'm just doing this because one) I want to see how it'll look before And if I decide to make it permanent. And two) why the heck not!?? Lol you can Peel it off anytime. But yeah definitely once winter hits imma plasti dip the bottom of the car...maybe the WHOLE car ;) but give it a try bro one bottle only costs $6.51

marauder21
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Just finished the grill!!! It literally took me longer to find cardboard and set it up so it wont spray the radiator than the whole process lmao. Here let me know what you think. (And the pictures are too bright idk it Just doesn't look right:/)

IwantmyMMnow!
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Just finished the grill!!! It literally took me longer to find cardboard and set it up so it wont spray the radiator than the whole process lmao. Here let me know what you think. (And the pictures are too bright idk it Just doesn't look right:/)

Lookin' good! Are you going to plasti-dip the mesh you have on the lower bumper openings? That's one mod I keep forgetting about...meshing those openings...

marauder21
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Its so simple too. Hey why not go to home depot get the mesh and a few bottles of plasti dip all under $15 and Your good to go!! And yeah I am.....Hhhmmm imma do that right now...lmfao hold up.

marauder21
06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Done.

Ozark Marauder
06-09-2012, 07:31 AM
I likey......:cool:

OZ

marauder21
06-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Well a little update on the PD DTR lol, I took off the plasti dip from the rims but did keep the black grills and black trim. So let me know how this looks guy! TIA!

airjordan2k8
06-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Question how does the can of this plastidip look like cause i see like 2 diff. ones??? thanks

marauder21
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.rumblebee.org/files/plasti_dip_198.jpg

You can find it an home depot. Probably menards or any hardware store but I got.mine from home depot :)

airjordan2k8
06-19-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.rumblebee.org/files/plasti_dip_198.jpg

You can find it an home depot. Probably menards or any hardware store but I got.mine from home depot :)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using TapatalkPreciate that man, gonna try this wknd if i get to it..

DarthVader215
06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
your car is nice i like the black trim and grille better then the burgundy

marauder21
06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
your car is nice i like the black trim and grille better then the burgundy

Thanks! I tried going for a look no other DTR has :rolleyes:

Preciate that man, gonna try this wknd if i get to it..

Yeah no problem. If I where you I'd do like 3-5 coats that way if you don't like how it looks it'll be much easier to peel off from the rims. But Good luck to You sir!!:D

ctrlraven
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Highly recommend doing at least no less than 4 good coats on the wheels. Make sure the wheels have been cleaned and last prep step before spraying is to rub them down with rubbing alcohol. Not a whole lot but just dampen a clean rag, wipe and then let dry before spraying.

When I took mine off I ripped three of them off and then pulled one. The more coats the more durable it is.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/2012-06-09_14-38-24_610.jpg

airjordan2k8
06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys, and about how many cans for this?

breeze
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I like it better with black wheels. You should try the bumper where it ghas the gaps in it and to the creases. Give it a different look , I'd try it but moves already black.

marauder21
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I didn't use rubbing alcohol before I sprayed them.:eek: Ooopps lol I just cleaned them and then sprayed. Seemed to come off easily afterwords.
I used in total 2 bottles. But it all comes down to how much coats you use. Like ctrlraven said, 4 coats is good enough.

marauder21
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I like it better with black wheels. You should try the bumper where it ghas the gaps in it and to the creases. Give it a different look , I'd try it but moves already black.

Where exactly do You mean?? Always interested in new ideas...

airjordan2k8
06-19-2012, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=marauder21;1192701]I didn't use rubbing alcohol before I sprayed them.:eek: Ooopps lol I just cleaned them and then sprayed. Seemed to come off easily afterwords.
I used in total 2 bottles. But it all comes down to how much coats you use. Like ctrlraven said, 4 coats is good enough.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE ok thanks man, and has anyone tried our taillights? like the ss treatment? and by the way looks good with that black grille it also looked nice with the black wheels...

ctrlraven
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
It's okay if you don't use rubbing alcohol, I just recommend as the last step in prep work so it will have a nice clean surface to bond to for however long you keep it on.

50% coat down first
80% coat for the next 3 or more coats
Always spray the hard angles/places first

breeze
06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Where exactly do You mean?? Always interested in new ideas...

In the blue. Will add a look to the bumper.

marauder21
06-20-2012, 09:32 AM
In the blue. Will add a look to the bumper.

well I put a mesh grill in there...then decided to paint that black so it could match the grill lol

Mebot
06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Your car is looking good. You already took the dip off your wheels? you only had it on for like a week lol

ctrlraven
06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Your car is looking good. You already took the dip off your wheels? you only had it on for like a week lol
Me? I dipped my wheels back in February, was on for about 3.5 months.

Mebot
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Me? I dipped my wheels back in February, was on for about 3.5 months.

No not you, Marauder21. I know you had yours on for awhile

marauder21
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM

Yeah!! Lol went a whole week with the black wheels..and idk I liked how they look but I dunno I just loved more how the sun makes them shine without the dip. It was more of a experimental week type thing lol. Definitely gonna put em black again later on. Once summer is near its end lol

ctrlraven
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
When I pulled mine off and saw that beautiful shine again it felt like I had just gotten a brand new mod.

marauder21
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
When I pulled mine off and saw that beautiful shine again it felt like I had just gotten a brand new mod.

Exactly!!! Makes You appreciate more the rim :D

marauder21
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Well found extra bottles of plasti when cleaning the garage...so eh decided to mess with it a little Thoughts about this? :confused: yay or nay??

marauder21
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Panther
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I like it I was thinking of doing that but buying the real ones look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Panther

Mebot
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Well found extra bottles of plasti when cleaning the garage...so eh decided to mess with it a little Thoughts about this? :confused: yay or nay??

Sorry, not a fan of those stripes man. Just my personal opinion. I do like the direction you're going and making your Marauder distinct and personalized with your flavor, I just don't think that's what I would do with mine.

marauder21
08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I like it I was thinking of doing that but buying the real ones look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Panther

Well You could always buy the real ones or try it yourself with plasti dip. Just to see how it'll look before the permanent ones go on.:) lol and Yeah idk this Are.Just temporary so it'll be coming off soon depending on How many Likes or Dislikes I get from people :beer:

IwantmyMMnow!
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
so it'll be coming off soon depending on How many Likes or Dislikes I get from people :beer:

Isn't this counter-productive on what you're trying to accomplish...customizing your car to your tastes?

If you like it, who gives a rats-butt what others think?

As the idiotic Major Frank Burns once said, "Individualism is fine, as long as everyone is doing the same thing".

If I wanted to put neon yellow racing stripes on my car because I think it looks good, I wouldn't care about what others think.

Mebot
08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Isn't this counter-productive on what you're trying to accomplish...customizing your car to your tastes?

If you like it, who gives a rats-butt what others think?

As the idiotic Major Frank Burns once said, "Individualism is fine, as long as everyone is doing the same thing".

If I wanted to put neon yellow racing stripes on my car because I think it looks good, I wouldn't care about what others think.

This is correct. & unfortunately why we also see Marauders painted bright pink, rolling on 22s &/or have lambo doors installed.

Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else's interpretation but each to their own

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge

marauder21
08-01-2012, 09:22 PM
You guys are right...like idk I'm undecided, I like em but at the same time I don't..the two stripes doesn't look as Good on marauders as they would on mustang's..imma take these stripes off and try a different look. :D so stay tune!!! Lol but anyone have any ideas on what kinda stripes or designs I should do?? (Nothing to crazy or big!! Lol I have like 3/4s of plasti dip can left.) :beer:

marauder21
08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
After taking these pics...the stripes do look kinda nice, in way lol

Guittard22
08-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Rims look real mean gives it a nice look to the car.

marauder21
08-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Well rims do demand respect :) lol ^^

IwantmyMMnow!
10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
So, today's weather (cloudy, some drizzle, windy and cool) made me realize that winter is just around the corner...along with snow, salt, etc. Got me to thinkin' about my plans of plasti-dipping my wheels for the winter, and if I don't like the look, I can just peel it off.

Wondering if there are any SB owners that have done this to theirs that can post up some pics...I know craven did his, but I can't find any pics.

Any significant advantages to taking the wheels off vs leaving them on when plasti-dipping them? If there's any road rash on the rim, does the plasti-dip still come off easily? Optimal temperature to apply the stuff?

TIA...

marauder21
10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Any significant advantages to taking the wheels off vs leaving them on when plasti-dipping them? If there's any road rash on the rim, does the plasti-dip still come off easily? Optimal temperature to apply the stuff?

TIA...
When you take the wheels off and apply the plasti its so much easier to get the hard to reach spots, saves up time from trying to cover the brakes and such, and its just plain easier. I suggest to take the wheels off even if its one by one because you wouldnt want any of the plasti to get on the brake system. And as for the road rash, plasti will Just fill in so yes it'll still be easy to take off. The temperature I'm not sure about but if possible I imagine working indoors would be better. But who knows lol

ctrlraven
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
So, today's weather (cloudy, some drizzle, windy and cool) made me realize that winter is just around the corner...along with snow, salt, etc. Got me to thinkin' about my plans of plasti-dipping my wheels for the winter, and if I don't like the look, I can just peel it off.

Wondering if there are any SB owners that have done this to theirs that can post up some pics...I know craven did his, but I can't find any pics.

TIA...
Taking them off makes it easier to spray them and don't have to mask off the brake parts.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/485792_319360814785460_5517210 68_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/389231_2470629783639_103892150 9_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/418313_2426999452908_150222968 7_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/405794_2384747196628_152524634 2_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/398423_2344108980698_214229229 _n.jpg

I didn't tape off the tire, I just gave it a good coat of silicone tire shine so if any overspray got on the tire I could just peel and/or rub it off which did work out fine.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/420940_2344102700541_104388027 4_n.jpg

ctrlraven
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
AND if you want to take it a step more you CAN use auto grade clearcoat spray and to give the matte black of the plasti-dip a little shine. Just make sure you tape off the tire, have already sprayed the last coat of plasti-dip and let it dry before spraying clearcoat on the plasti-dip.

I've actually been looking a set of full-size spare wheels because I am going with a Wilwood brake kit and I use 16" steel wheels which won't work anymore once I do the big brake kit.

IwantmyMMnow!
10-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for posting up the pics, raven...saved me some time and money. I like the bling of the rims more than how they look w/plasti-dip.

marauder21
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for posting up the pics, raven...saved me some time and money. I like the bling of the rims more than how they look w/plasti-dip.

You can NEVER go wrong with the OEM look

ctrlraven
10-09-2012, 09:58 AM
If I had another set of stock wheels I would plasti dip them and run snow tires on them.

The plasti dip is really a good idea for anyone who drives their car in the winter.