PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't I think of this earlier?!

woaface
02-12-2004, 12:47 PM
For those of you who've changed out their rear gear from stock, are there any left over 3.55s? I may possibly be interested putting up a bid. It all depends on cost of the item (item/shipping), how much it will cost to get them installed, and how long the car will be out of service to get them installed. (I'd need it done in less than 3 and a half hours, but I'm sure that depends by shop)

Thanks! -James

Haggis
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
I left mine with Kenny Brown when he put on the 4.10s with the rest of the package. Give David a call you never know he might have some lying around? Good Luck. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/950/fart.gif

woaface
02-12-2004, 01:03 PM
haha! I won't be able to get up off the floor after seeing that smily!
While I'm at it, I was looking around E-bay and I'm completely confused now.
I can't decided whether I want a stock Marauder, or an older (1998-2001)Continental (soooo beautiful!) that I'd let Dennis supercharge.
:confused: :help:

Haggis
02-12-2004, 01:07 PM
One word: MARAUDER

TAF
02-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Continentals are "wrong-wheel-drive", unfortunately...otherwise...th ey are great looking cars.

CRUZTAKER
02-12-2004, 01:11 PM
I've got a set with approx. 2500 miles on them. It took the fellow who did mine about 4 hous start to finish. He sold/installed the FMS 4:10 for $460. I beleive the gear set alone was about $185. I'm sure someone on this site would be willing to give you a set for nothing. I on the other hand am too in debt to do that...in the event you buy, I'd let them go for a c-note.

BTW: I mailed your bagde yesterday.

woaface
02-12-2004, 01:16 PM
I've got a set with approx. 2500 miles on them. It took the fellow who did mine about 4 hous start to finish. He sold/installed the FMS 4:10 for $460. I beleive the gear set alone was about $185. I'm sure someone on this site would be willing to give you a set for nothing. I on the other hand am too in debt to do that...in the event you buy, I'd let them go for a c-note.

BTW: I mailed your bagde yesterday.Awesome! Can't wait for it!
I didn't know Continentals were front wheel drive! Ok, Marauder it is. But the Continental probably has the most beautiful interior I've seen on a car. Anyways, my main two concerns are time and whether I should have it done without my dad's knowledge...I drive the car the most, but when it comes to a vacation or two we might take this year, he'd be driving. Even though the Villager is much more comfortable and spacious...the car is safer:shake: . Technically it's not mine, although I COULD just get the part and wait a year till I have the money to make the car mine, and then get it installed. Hmm, I think I'll do that. WHOO! I'm a genius!:D

greyghost
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
You sure you don't mean MKVIII. If you do mean MKVIII get a 97 LSC. It has the same basic motor and tranny as the Marauder plus it has the HID headlights. I will be looking for one later on this year. :up: :rock:

woaface
02-12-2004, 03:29 PM
You sure you don't mean MKVIII. If you do mean MKVIII get a 97 LSC. It has the same basic motor and tranny as the Marauder plus it has the HID headlights. I will be looking for one later on this year. :up: :rock:It's my understanding that that was the first car in the U.S. to have HID lights! Not a BMW but a Ford! I've looked at some of those two, but I like the looks of the Continental inside more. Gah, even the back seats are y! I'd get it just for luxury, and then I saw Dennis' S/C Mark, and I was like "WHOA!"

01 Interceptor
02-12-2004, 06:03 PM
You don't want a Conti. I asked a Ford tech about a car I was looking at and asked if he could run an OASIS on it, he advised me to "STAY AWAY" from them. MkVIII's though are top notch, and of course a Marauder would look good in any place! Mind you the Conti wasn't for me...I will only own RWD or AWD(split more to the rear of course!)

Marauderman
02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Well I did keep my 3:55's and held on to them for 6 months --at the time wasn't sure why--then it hit me too--put them in wifes T-Bird which had 2:78's..so there ----if you change out stuff--keep it,.... for you never know --you or someone else may want it--as in woaface's post here--see....

stumpy
02-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Used gears are not necessarily a good idea. They may wear uneven and you could end up with noise. Gears are cheap! Less than the cost of the install, which is a difficult job that requires training.

woaface
02-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Used gears are not necessarily a good idea. They may wear uneven and you could end up with noise. Gears are cheap! Less than the cost of the install, which is a difficult job that requires training.Yes, I heard about this problem, I was offered a set I might buy with less than 2500 miles on it. I heard it's difficult, but I don't wanna give the guy $450-$500 to do it, even if that's what it takes, which is what my estimate was. I'm probably going to buy them and wait a while on it. I figure, that if I wait to buy them, I'll end up with really used gears, or I'll end up at my local Merc place and they'll go "Yeah, um, those are made to order since we don't sell the car anymore, so it'll be like a million dollars and we can't have them to you for a era or two"

Well I did keep my 3:55's and held on to them for 6 months --at the time wasn't sure why--then it hit me too--put them in wifes T-Bird which had 2:78's..so there ----if you change out stuff--keep it,.... for you never know --you or someone else may want it--as in woaface's post here--see....The more I think about it, the more the number "2.73" comes to mind. That's just a guess, but 3.27 is with the handling package, which I don't have. I really want some 3.55's though!

jgc61sr2002
02-12-2004, 08:30 PM
James - The handling package in my 2000 GM came with at 3.55 rear but it was a non-locker.

TooManyFords
02-12-2004, 09:14 PM
because they will fit in my '93 Explorer. It has 3.25's in it and I want to raise it a bit with the taller 32's I have on it now. I just need to find a set of 3.55's for the front Dana 35 to match.

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/explorer/images/93expclean1.jpg

woaface
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
James - The handling package in my 2000 GM came with at 3.55 rear but it was a non-locker.You sure? I thought it was 3.27 with that package.

duhtroll
02-13-2004, 03:21 PM
I also have a set of 3.55s that I would sell. Mine only have 2500 miles on them as well. Bought the MM last May, did stage I in early July.

Anyone interested PM me.

Thanks,
-A

TooManyFords
02-13-2004, 03:50 PM
You sure? I thought it was 3.27 with that package.
What I get for working from memory. You are correct, they are 3.27's.

Bet it would be hard to find 3.25's for the D35. :)

John

woaface
02-13-2004, 04:23 PM
What I get for working from memory. You are correct, they are 3.27's.

Bet it would be hard to find 3.25's for the D35. :)

John
Don't sweat it, I told several people I had 3.27s before I remembered I doesn't even have a handling package:up: