PDA

View Full Version : My son wants my Marauder!

Lowndex
06-09-2012, 11:43 PM
My son is 15 and is embarrassed by my other car, a 2008 Smartcar. Well, it's not exactly a chick magnet. Anyway, he loves my 2004 Marauder (damn well better). So he say's "Dad, when I get my driver's license, can I have the Marauder?" I respond, "if you you have A's in all your classes, it's yours."

Well, he just completed his freshman year with a 3.65 GPA (A starts at 3.50). Oh OMG!:eek:

fastblackmerc
06-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Gues you won;t be making deals like that again!

I'd be embarrassed to drive a smart car too!

The best place for a smart car is in the trunk of the Marauder..... use it as a spare.

droppointalpha
06-10-2012, 06:22 AM
somebody derped pretty bad there....

slickster
06-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Great. Now tell him if he becomes a lawyer or doctor you will supercharge it for him. Then later he will buy you another one

guspech750
06-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Give him a life's lesson and tell him when he can afford one. Buy one. :)

Great job on the GPA.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Timw286
06-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Gues you won;t be making deals like that again!

I'd be embarrassed to drive a smart car too!

The best place for a smart car is in the trunk of the Marauder..... use it as a spare.

I'd rather walk:D

Ken
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
How do we feel about a newly licensed driver driving our MM?

marauder21
06-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, I don't know if I have a say in this but I'm 17 and drive a marauder. Lol me and my dad bought it half and half so its his AND mine. I pay for maintenance, mods, insurance and such. And well Like Zack told my dad when my dad asked him if it was stupid letting a 17 year old drive a marauder, "Does he have a girl pregnant?" "No." "Does he do drugs?" "No." "Does he have good grades?" "Yeah." "Then what's the problem?" Lmao exact convo they had. :D

Ken
06-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Ken
06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, I don't know if I have a say in this but I'm 17 and drive a marauder. Lol me and my dad bought it half and half so its his AND mine. I pay for maintenance, mods, insurance and such. And well Like Zack told my dad when my dad asked him if it was stupid letting a 17 year old drive a marauder, "Does he have a girl pregnant?" "No." "Does he do drugs?" "No." "Does he have good grades?" "Yeah." "Then what's the problem?" Lmao exact convo they had. :DCongrats marauder21, while pregnancy won't kill you or someone else, The go fast pedal on our modded MMs can. With the responsibility of the MM, the maturity to know when and where to use that pedal. While it doesn't take a lot of power to get in trouble, our MM's have more than enough power to get away from the driver. We've lost one young member because of that power. Wouldn't want to see another added to that statistic.

guspech750
06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, I don't know if I have a say in this but I'm 17 and drive a marauder. Lol me and my dad bought it half and half so its his AND mine. I pay for maintenance, mods, insurance and such. And well Like Zack told my dad when my dad asked him if it was stupid letting a 17 year old drive a marauder, "Does he have a girl pregnant?" "No." "Does he do drugs?" "No." "Does he have good grades?" "Yeah." "Then what's the problem?" Lmao exact convo they had. :D

LOL. Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone

marauder21
06-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Congrats marauder21, while pregnancy won't kill you or someone else, The go fast pedal on our modded MMs can. With the responsibility of the MM, the maturity to know when and where to use that pedal. While it doesn't take a lot of power to get in trouble, our MM's have more than enough power to get away from the driver. We've lost one young member because of that power. Wouldn't want to see another added to that statistic.

Yeah so I heard one time about this accident when I was talking to Joe. Its sad really but trust Me I'm not that crazy on stepping on the petal that often. (Partially because it kills to fill the whole tank the next day lmao :rolleyes: ) but to this day after one year of having the marauder I still haven't actually done a good burnout(unless You count the screeching tires when You takeoff?) so I guess you can say I'm not that crazy of a driver society says us "young and inexperienced" teens Are lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

justbob
06-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Personally I feel my kids will never know what it feels like as a driver of my Marauder unless I am with them. By themselves? Absolutely NOT. Can a honda do 110? Sure. Can a Corsica round a corner? Of course. Can they bark the tires at 96 MPH in third? NOPE. My MM does..

Congrats on his grades, but I would seriously try to bargain him into a different car.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

Ken
06-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah so I heard one time about this accident when I was talking to Joe. Its sad really but trust Me I'm not that crazy on stepping on the petal that often. (Partially because it kills to fill the whole tank the next day lmao :rolleyes: ) but to this day after one year of having the marauder I still haven't actually done a good burnout(unless You count the screeching tires when You takeoff?) so I guess you can say I'm not that crazy of a driver society says us "young and inexperienced" teens Are lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using TapatalkFunny that you should mention it. I'm not concerned about the burnouts, which are generally done off road. It's the screeching tires at takeoff that I'm referring to. The lead foot.. driving too fast for conditions... the street racing (which is rightly banned from this site)... the invincibility of the young (won't happen to me...) ... etc. Not accusing you of anything, just take the responsibility of the MM seriously. Don't abuse that responsibility. Your life or someone else's may depend on it.

off my :soap:

marauder21
06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Funny that you should mention it. I'm not concerned about the burnouts, which are generally done off road. It's the screeching tires at takeoff that I'm referring to. The lead foot.. driving too fast for conditions... the street racing (which is rightly banned from this site)... the invincibility of the young (won't happen to me...) ... etc. Not accusing you of anything, just take the responsibility of the MM seriously. Don't abuse that responsibility. Your life or someone else's may dep end on it.

off my :soap:

Street racing? Ppssshhh screw that! I'm good. Like honestly I see no point of doing that. Simply because 1) why risk not only your life BUT the lives of those around you. And 2) there's a reason why they have race tracks no? (Still haven't actually been to one but hopefully I will:) ) And I've seen off first hand experience on how stupid and easily a driver can lose control when going high speeds on the highway. My dads a truck driver so at times ill go with him, so You would not believe what kinda crazy stuff goes down on the highways of Chicago at night lol. and about the screeching tires, its not like I do it on purpose sometimes when it happens it just reminds me of what car I'm driving again lol

Horsepower
06-10-2012, 11:45 AM
2002 I was 15 ... In high school with a 3.0 gpa and my dad told me he wasn't buying me any car no matter what. Lol my grades should be on the top end regardless. So I saved up my own cash and 8 years later lol ,... Bought my own.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v41jc2

guspech750
06-10-2012, 12:18 PM
2002 I was 15 ... In high school with a 3.0 gpa and my dad told me he wasn't buying me any car no matter what. Lol my grades should be on the top end regardless. So I saved up my own cash and 8 years later lol ,... Bought my own.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v41jc2

X 1,000,000

The way it should be!

Sent from my iPhone

Esilar
06-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, well, well. the OP is in a deep **** and i don't have a solution too. :P
I fully agree that a 15 y/o might be tempted to push down the pedal if friends or competitors tease him to do. Or just to impress the fancy girl of the night. So to give him the MM might be irresponsible. On the other hand, in the case of an accident at 80 mph, where do you want your boy is sitting? In an 8 years old rice cooker or an bold Marauder tank? :rolleyes:
Breaking a promise is very bad, so i'd like to talk to my son for another deal. Should be possible i think, there are more sportive cars out there... Good luck! :cool:

marauder21
06-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Well to the OP...what if you get him a grand Marquis or crown Vic? I bought my dads 1990 grand Marquis before we bought the marauder lol..and the deal I have with my dad is well one little screw up (ticket, crash, etc etc = bye bye marauder.) And well like i said im practically paying for any maintence, repairs, and such not only for the marauder but also for the Grand Marquis. But also I'm giving my dad a few hundred dollars each month with the own money I make. So in a way You could say I'm paying for the marauder from a dealership I call "Father" lol :) I just believe it all comes down too in how much you trust your son.

Ms. Denmark
06-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I would be tempted to consider a 5 speed manual (Honda, Toyota or any lower HP car) for my 17 year old. Hands would be too busy for texting which is also a big problem. Would absolutely not give him a Marauder. (for many reasons). But it's cool that he likes the car!! JMHO

Horsepower
06-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh and gas in expensive so don't forget about the extra bill aside from his cell phone , school , clothes and allowance .... A rauder is already like having another kid ... Lol also factor in his friends that will wanna drive who I'm sure aren't on the insurance policy. Not a good idea lol

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gjn1bp

Lowndex
01-30-2015, 09:23 PM
My son now drives the wife's 2005 Acura MDX. She bought a 2015 Subaru Outback.

Now I am install a new motor, transmission, exhaust, supercharger and brakes, I will the only driver of my Marauder until death. Then, I will be buried in it!

CHSurvivor
01-31-2015, 06:22 AM
My son is 16 and I will let him drive my Marauder(i already have) only with me in it.

I taught him hard work pays off. So he saved his pennies, cut lawns, shovelled snow, crushed pop cans and did everything he could to save money and sold some of his own toys(mini bike etc) to pay for his build.

At age 14 we built his first car.....a 79 Malibu which has been in HotRod magazine and Old Autos.

Doesnt matter what you own. You can speed in anything, get in trouble with anything. I remind him condoms or diapers. One is cheaper and the other doesnt get your car sold....

If this dad gave his kid a Marauder or smart car. Don't matter.
Good for him for keeping his nose clean and good grades...

My sons fav words is smoke tires not drugs !

BigM460
01-31-2015, 06:33 AM
:rolleyes:
Guess you just gotta know your kids.
My son has had the Marauder since he got his license. Straight A's all the way through school. Can't think of anything much safer. In fact he drives so cautiously it annoys everyone in the family. Besides I needed the money we had for his first car to buy the supercharged one I have now! He got the DTR hand me down. There slow anyway right?:eek:

sailsmen
01-31-2015, 06:46 AM
It is human failure that causes most accidents.
I have seen dozens of wrecks at the drag strip and rarely is it due solely to mechanical failure.

Get a valet tune.

Bad_S55
01-31-2015, 11:22 AM
When I was first car shopping last year, man I was one crazy hopped up gearhead kid (still am :cool4:) I had plans to pull off an LS swap on a third gen Firebird, or build a prerunner F150, heck I even saved up enough cash to get a less than perfect Marauder (rough by many people's standards)!! Well as soon as my mom caught word of what I was going to try and do, that was the end of it. My pops got himself a '99 Continental, so I bought his MGM, my S55 I have now. The fact that your boy is not only pulling off killer grades in school, but is also interested in a Marauder is really great. But maybe start him a little lower on the food chain, like a Crown Vic or Marquis!!

vkirkend
01-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I personally believe the Marauders are safe vehicles to own for anyone. I would rather see my kid in a marauder as opposed to a V-8 Mustang or similar vehicle. With that said. I believe the first car for a kid should be 80's or 90's crown vic or other similar era road tank. They usually crash/dent their first cars. Let them learn on something not a limited edition vehicle. And as the second car maybe a Marauder.

Lowndex
01-31-2015, 03:03 PM
A stock Marauder, maybe. Once BRG Racing is done, 500 rbhp (supercharged), NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

At 17, I would have killed myself in such a ride.

Chayton
01-31-2015, 05:17 PM
18 year old chiming in here. Started off in a 98 p71, Had my fun in that for a year, got accustomed to the handling and power characteristics of it and a year later I was lucky enough to find my Marauder. Had her for almost a year now. The car and I are still here, undamaged. lol. Besides, A stock PI Mustang GT is faster..And in my opinion a lot less safe compared to a Marauder.

Crown Vicman
01-31-2015, 06:39 PM
A deal is a deal lol. Any speeding tickets voids the deal.

88CuttyClassic
02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
The best way for a kid to learn how to handle a rwd car with decent horsepower is for him to drive a low power rwd car in the winter. Lets you feel how the car will react when you lose the rear. You can explain it but you never learn until you feel it.

MGDriver
02-11-2015, 02:59 AM
I started out driving my 2003 Audi A6 TDI that was a hand me down from my Dad since I was 17, then I had a friends 2004 Mustang GT for a while when I turned 18 and this was my first experience of driving a V8 RWD. First rule for driving a car like is that you need to have a lot of respect for the power it produces and that this power, when used inappropriately, has the ability to kill you. I will admit that this Mustang was totally the wrong car to start out with and it also wasn't my choice, by taking on the Mustang I was helping out a friend who was going through a tough time, I took the car off him so that the authorities wouldn't seize it with the view of giving it back to him after he had overcome his crisis. The car was his dream that he imported from California all by himself so I couldn't see him losing it, the fact that it wasn't actually my car did help a bit because it made me drive even more carefully. Of course nobody is free from mistakes including me so I had a few scary situations with that car still but I managed to save myself from all of them and never did any damage. I only had the Mustang for about 6 months before giving it back to my friend but it was a very good experience for me.

Admittedly I'm a pretty lame guy, I was never into the whole racing and hooning thing, never raced anybody off the lights but perhaps starting out with more powerful cars did help with that. Other people in my age only had VW Golfs, Opel Astras or Ford Focuses, at school I was always the guy with the biggest car and I never felt the need to race anybody, even more so when I had the Mustang because I knew I could outrun them anyway so why did I need to prove myself. Just the thought that I could if I wanted to was enough for me.

The Marauder was always my dream car ever since I was a kid, I had a massive Marauder poster in my room when I was 12 years old and it was clear I needed to get one eventually. My Dad never liked American cars so he didn't supported me with it and I was also the average guy at school, never particularly good at anything so when school was over I got myself into the working world as soon as possible to start earning money. I've been working straight for 4 years now and have saved up enough money to make my dream come true. I was very lucky to have found a Marauder that was already in Germany but if that wouldn't have happened, I would have gone out of my way to get one from States.

Bottom line here is, if you want something, find a way to get it yourself. I personally can't stand kids who just get stuff from their parents because they don't respect it in the way you would when you've worked your arse off to buy it yourself. I'm very certain of the fact that cars which teenagers bought by themselves won't be wrecked so quickly because it's their own hardly earned money on the line.

BeeDamn
02-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Give it to him and limited the speedo to 60mph by SCT :)

Lowndex
04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
My son turns 18 today! I said, "son, what do you want for your birthday?". That was a mistake.

Dad, "I still wants the Marauder!"

BATMOBIL
04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
:burnout:THAT WAS A MISTAKE

junior
04-08-2015, 02:15 PM
My son turns 18 today! I said, "son, what do you want for your birthday?". That was a mistake.

Tell him he can have it when you're done with it. It will be a classic then. That's how my wife got her Dad's 40 year old '67 Camaro rs/ss. :beer:

ChiTownMaraud3r
04-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Awesome. Glad to hear not all young'ns are into ricers now a days. Marauders are cheap to find now too.

:beer:

Badass_forever
04-08-2015, 04:04 PM
I was always a huge into cars, by the time I was 14 I had my first car. 1988 mustang GT, still have it to this day. My dad helped me work it every weekend while i was still in school. I asked him if we could have it done before prom so I could take my girl friend at the time.

Two months before school was over the car was done. He took me for a ride in it and was showing me how to drive it. He came around a corner on our street and we spun right out, scared the **** out of me. He told me that is how easy a car with power like that could get you into trouble and that i need to drive it with respect.

last year "i'm 29 now" he told me he spun the car out on purpose to show me how quickly it could happen, Let me tell you it worked, still to this day i don't drive like and idiot and am very respectful while driving.

chief455
04-08-2015, 05:50 PM
All this about not letting new drivers behind the wheel of powerful cars saddens me.
I was under 16 in dad's 430 Electra 225, 455 wagon, 500 Eldorado, - watched my brothers burn rubber all the time.
I got my liscense in the 455 wagon, then bought a 65 Mustang 289. 2 cars later at 17 I had the fastest car withing 5 towns, my 70 Mach 1 with solid lifter 302 and 4 speed. I bought the motor from a stock car, the trans from the newspaper, and built it.
never hit anything in my cars, or lost control.

I say teach them about the car in the car.
if you don't trust your kids ability to have control behind the wheel, no car is safe.

chief455
04-08-2015, 05:54 PM
The best way for a kid to learn how to handle a rwd car with decent horsepower is for him to drive a low power rwd car in the winter. Lets you feel how the car will react when you lose the rear. You can explain it but you never learn until you feel it.
winter driving did help very much, great point.
would be the same as on wet roads in the warmer states.

lji372
04-08-2015, 06:06 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^^

marauder21
04-08-2015, 06:36 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^
Lol Update: I'm 20 years old, i paid off the marauder from dad a year ago for my 19th birthday.
My dad has not put a single dollar in the marauder ever since we bought it. Ive taken full responsibility for this car. And I've been loving every minute of it. Lol