PDA

View Full Version : Can You Spell G-E-N-E-R-A-T-O-R?

jabird56
06-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Well I've been on generator power for almost 14 hours now, since we got hit by that severe storm line that went through CAMer Land last night.

I have two trees down in the yard. Had to use LOW-LOW 4x4 with the SuperDuty to drag one of the trees out of it's surrounding treeline, since it was wedged into a neighboring tree.

15KW V-Twin HONDA basically provides the whole house with power.

Timw286
06-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Hopefully the two downed trees didnt cause any damage, did they?

Haggis
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Well as long as you have power. I have been thinking about hooking up a generator here for just such occasions.

jabird56
06-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Hopefully the two downed trees didnt cause any damage, did they?

Nope no damage, other than scrapping up a couple of neighboring trees.

jabird56
06-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Well as long as you have power. I have been thinking about hooking up a generator here for just such occasions.

It's definitely worth it. This generator came with the house when we bought it. The longest we have gone on generator power was from that blizzard a year or two ago. I think I ran the generator for 30 or 36 hours that time.

Mebot
06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
We lost a shutter last night due to the wind but still have power. Shutter fell right in our driveway luckily michelle parked the fusion around the corner

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge

yjmud
06-30-2012, 11:38 AM
feel your guy's pain last year I was out of power for a week had to use the generator to keep the fridge up

jabird56
07-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Well, I'm still on GEN power 34 hours later.

Issue with the house A/C that I'll fix as soon as things are back in order. It appears that f___up energy saver box that the power company put on the outside compressor unit (without my permission) won't work (no power to the compressor) since it CAN'T phone home to the power company. So, NO A/C in the house. Current inside house temp is 90.

Come in stage right our camper. So as a backup, I set the camper up in front of the garage and hooked it up to the generator. I at least have A/C on-board with this and spent the night in it.

Yes the generator can handle both the house and the camper.

Copy of my "FEMA" trailer enclosed.

Marauderjack
07-01-2012, 05:06 AM
What size generator and will it pull your AC??:confused:

Bluerauder
07-01-2012, 05:19 AM
It appears that f___up energy saver box that the power company put on the outside compressor unit (without my permission) won't work (no power to the compressor) since it CAN'T phone home to the power company. So, NO A/C in the house. Current inside house temp is 90.

Sorry to hear this Jay. Hopefully, you'll get full power back soon.

You are on the "Smart Meter" program ..... looks like everyone got one installed >>>> http://takecontrolmaryland.com/what_is_a_smart_meter.html

jabird56
07-01-2012, 05:32 AM
As to the power saver box, I suspect that the previous owner DID provide permission to install the box. Your monthly bill should reflect some kind of discount for having that capability installed. If not they are cheating you out of the benefit.

SMECO put this box on last year without my permission, and I chewed the out for it. They gave me a rebates and a small give me on the monthly statement.

Once shore power comes back up, I'll check things out. I will be interesting if the compressor starts working again.

Also......

I do believe this is a milestone for me with my

1000th posting..

:beer::beer::party:

jabird56
07-01-2012, 05:35 AM
What size generator and will it pull your AC??:confused:

15KW generator, V-twin Honda. Not a problem with the load.

sailsmen
07-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Soon there will only be remotely controlled thermostats and power allocatioins.:mad2:
There has already been discussions of it by some local gov't.

RF Overlord
07-01-2012, 08:11 AM
It appears that f___up energy saver box that the power company put on the outside compressor unit (without my permission) won't work (no power to the compressor) since it CAN'T phone home to the power company. So your phone service is down, too?

Tell the power company there's an elderly person in the house who is sensitive to heat and you want their controller to work regardless of it's ability to communicate. Most power companies are scared to death of the word "elderly" during extreme heat or cold.

Black_Noise
07-01-2012, 09:06 AM
We were on generator for 14 days a few winters ago.... hell of an ice storm. Thats the joys of country living.

DOOM
07-01-2012, 09:41 AM
This is my 2nd day running a generator too!

justbob
07-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks like I will be pulling my Honda out and joining you guys... Nice storm just rolled on thru, tree's all over the place (the horizontal kind)..

Sent from my Ally while ruling the world from my toilet.

guspech750
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Looks like I will be pulling my Honda out and joining you guys... Nice storm just rolled on thru, tree's all over the place (the horizontal kind)..

Same here. Might have to fire up the generator too.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

jabird56
07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
ALRIGHT! Just got shore power back, and the house A/C is working. So now I hope it cools the house off for when I hit the sack in 3 hours. There is a whole lot of heat energy built up in my brick structure....

Now to move the camper back in it's slot, so I an get the car out for work tomorrow.

CWright
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Hate to hear all of you have been without power. Especially with all this heat. Hopfully they'll have you back up and running with power soon. I wish you the best!

justbob
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Getting warmer... :(

guspech750
07-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Well house is still really cool at 75 degrees. Thanks to the new roof, windows siding and insulation.

Just fired up the generator to keep the two refrigerators and a large industrial fan to just move the air around. Living large in the dark soon.

Good time peeps. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone

robertmee
07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
FYI, depending on the style load control the power company is using, you can most times pull the cover off the AC unit and jumper the two wires from the load control box the power company put in. The load control simply interrupts the 'ON' signal from your house thermostat. Jumper it and it's like it isn't there and the power company has no way of knowing. I've done it many times for various reasons (mostly troubleshooting a dead AC unit) with no ill effects.

RF Overlord
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Jumper it and it's like it isn't there and the power company has no way of knowing. That's the spirit!

As much as I'm FOR conservation and reducing energy consumption, unless the power company gives me a DISCOUNT to install their controller, they can bugger off.

guspech750
07-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Power just came back on for the second time. We will see if it stays on this time.

Sent from my iPhone

MyBlackBeasts
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm still on GEN power 34 hours later.

Issue with the house A/C that I'll fix as soon as things are back in order. It appears that f___up energy saver box that the power company put on the outside compressor unit (without my permission) won't work (no power to the compressor) since it CAN'T phone home to the power company.

Bypass the box so you can run the a/c. Very simple to do as a temp job.