PDA

View Full Version : Tim Allen's 1996 Impala SS

loud2004marquis
06-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Pretty Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gelX4LfiC0&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLXsjvEtHYmlCZebwRJCJ3uA

Black_Noise
06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
not bad, ugh ugh ugh

Haggis
06-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Need more POWER!!!!

88LTDCV351
06-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I remember seeing a TV show about Tim's car a long time ago. I don't remember what show it was. Chevy put a special engine in it for Tim but the local police use to complain about the loud noise of the car. Sweet!

88LTDCV351
06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Just having watched the youtube, I think it was this very episode.

TAKEDOWN
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
That's an SS! But MARAUDERs are better, yeSsS they are!

Marauderman
06-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Old....like the car and it's power....the MM arrived and removed it from.......wait for it..............the........... ...........present!!!!

bigcowl-imp
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
That's an SS! But MARAUDERs are better, yeSsS they are!

How do ya figure the Marauders are better when the Impala`s are faster and get better mpg....???

Marauderman
06-30-2012, 04:55 PM
How do ya figure the Marauders are better when the Impala`s are faster and get better mpg....???

"faster" needs to be defined--as in " dragstrip" or on the street---cause those I see on the street--well they can't keep up----see---and as for mpg--it depends on a lot of factors--just can't say arbitraily(sp)your statements and expect them to be all truthfull --do you-- there are many here who know what I mean --and I believe you do as well---such a statement leaves out many factors.................

MarauderTJA
06-30-2012, 04:58 PM

That is extremely debatable:shake:

Marauderman
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
That is extremely debatable:shake:

Thank you Tom!!! Well put--what I was meaning prevously.

guspech750
06-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I forgot all about that car. Love the LT5's. Too bad it's pretty much an extinct motor.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SC Cheesehead
06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
"The rear also includes a "Binford 6100" badge."

End of story, that's worth 50 hp+ by itself...

Chayton
06-30-2012, 07:24 PM

did you just ask that question... on the mercuryMARAUDER forums?

Curless
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
I have to say I agree...I do like my Impala more than the Marauder...the gas mileage SUX on the MM! The steering and suspension are now where near as predictable as the Imp...not trying to start a flame just speakin the truth. I love em both, Big, Black, V-8, Rear wheel drive....whats not to love??

TAKEDOWN
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Rockets are faster, MARAUDERs RULE!

LOL!

Mr. Man
07-01-2012, 03:38 AM
I have to say I agree...I do like my Impala more than the Marauder...the gas mileage SUX on the MM! The steering and suspension are now where near as predictable as the Imp...not trying to start a flame just speakin the truth. I love em both, Big, Black, V-8, Rear wheel drive....whats not to love??

I can squeeze 23-4 MPG out of the MM without trying and if I lived in a flat state could most likely get more. What kind of mileage does the SS get I can't believe it is significantly more.

Considering the SS has a full liter+ on the MM and is only 10th's quicker in the 1/4 mile isn't saying much. If the MM came with the SS' torque #'s it wouldn't even be close at the 1/4 mile.

I find the lines of the MM much more masculine and pleasing to at least my eye than the Impala. I will say that the Impala is a major stride forward in aesthetics considering it was derived from one of the ugliest cars ever produced the Chevy Caprice/Buick Roadmaster.

Glad you love them both and I hope you have many great times driving each of them.:)

ncmm
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Marauder for me. . . :burnout:

dohc324ci
07-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Nice! Forgot about the LT5s that would have been a sweet setup from the factory. Always wanted a SS Impala I may still pick one up one day.

JBeezy
07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I loved that car when I had my '96 Impala SS. Only thing I can say I missed about it is the factory stance and the torque. MM rule.

bigcowl-imp
07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I can squeeze 23-4 MPG out of the MM without trying and if I lived in a flat state could most likely get more. What kind of mileage does the SS get I can't believe it is significantly more.

Considering the SS has a full liter+ on the MM and is only 10th's quicker in the 1/4 mile isn't saying much. If the MM came with the SS' torque #'s it wouldn't even be close at the 1/4 mile.

I find the lines of the MM much more masculine and pleasing to at least my eye than the Impala. I will say that the Impala is a major stride forward in aesthetics considering it was derived from one of the ugliest cars ever produced the Chevy Caprice/Buick Roadmaster.

Glad you love them both and I hope you have many great times driving each of them.:)

My new stock 95 impala got 26 mpg on the highway and went 14.84 in the 1/4 and was stock.....that was in 1995...

JBeezy
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
The best mine would run was 15.22 1/4 mile. Felt faster. All stock. 28 mpg hwy

IwantmyMMnow!
07-01-2012, 06:03 PM
"The rear also includes a "Binford 6100" badge."

End of story, that's worth 50 hp+ by itself...

Upgrade to the Binford 7500 badge and the hp increase is over 9,000....

Curless
07-02-2012, 05:47 AM
My Imp will get 24-26 at 70-75 mph...in town Its around 18-21...the MM gets 17 -20 at best on the highway, if you guys know how to get 25 or better out of one let me know. My guess would be driving like an old lady and never getting it up over 65.

prchrman
07-02-2012, 06:15 AM
My Imp will get 24-26 at 70-75 mph...in town Its around 18-21...the MM gets 17 -20 at best on the highway, if you guys know how to get 25 or better out of one let me know. My guess would be driving like an old lady and never getting it up over 65.

you're wrong on MM mpg, mine before mods got 25/21 mpg all the time and i do not drive slow. i will not argue about which is the best but in one area, ride the MM better hands down, OTOH i for sure like the bottom end torque of the SS better. eye candy appeal is a toss up.

Curless
07-02-2012, 06:40 AM
you're wrong on MM mpg, mine before mods got 25/21 mpg all the time and i do not drive slow. i will not argue about which is the best but in one area, ride the MM better hands down, OTOH i for sure like the bottom end torque of the SS better. eye candy appeal is a toss up.

My mileage may not be what yours is but I assure you its correct. My Mother In Laws car was about them same too...Don't get me wrong I like my MM, just not all the way there yet with the driving aspect of it. One thing we have not mentioned here is the MM takes PREMIUM gas, the SS does not. No bottom end torque so the initial launch is not there, so I am tromping the gas every time I leave the light...I will have to play with driving habits and see what I can get out of her.

Heading to Columbus this weekend so nice long highway run, we'll keep her under 75 and see how that goes.

Ride? You feel that the ride is better in the MM? What do you have on it for shocks?

prchrman
07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
My mileage may not be what yours is but I assure you its correct. My Mother In Laws car was about them same too...Don't get me wrong I like my MM, just not all the way there yet with the driving aspect of it. One thing we have not mentioned here is the MM takes PREMIUM gas, the SS does not. No bottom end torque so the initial launch is not there, so I am tromping the gas every time I leave the light...I will have to play with driving habits and see what I can get out of her.

Heading to Columbus this weekend so nice long highway run, we'll keep her under 75 and see how that goes.

Ride? You feel that the ride is better in the MM? What do you have on it for shocks?

factory, and before you ask I rode in several SS when new and the the ride is not as good as the MM. i have after market sway bars and my ride now suffers. thought about going back stock but to lazy to change out and it does stick like a rat with tennis shoes on now.

Curless
07-02-2012, 08:57 AM
factory, and before you ask I rode in several SS when new and the the ride is not as good as the MM. i have after market sway bars and my ride now suffers. thought about going back stock but to lazy to change out and it does stick like a rat with tennis shoes on now.

Thanks for the info, looking around at shocks, Ford are not that badly priced, Monroe are pretty decent as well.

Chad1987
07-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Five reasons why I prefer the Marauder to the Impala SS:

1) Better handling, because of the rack & pinion steering v. recirculating ball steering.
2) Way nicer interior. The Marauder's interior blows the Impala's interior out of the water.
3) Better in town mileage. I get 17-18 around town in the Marauder, got 13-14 in town in my LT1 Roadmaster.
4) Rarity. Mercury made 11k Marauders, Chevy made some 60k Impala SS's.
5) Exterior design. I prefer the Marauder's design to the Impala's.

With that being said, I'd still be happy with an Impala SS, specifically a 1996 because of the floor shift & better instrumentation, but I'm more happy owning a Marauder.

guspech750
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I still want a 96 Dark Cherry Impalla SS to go along with my DTR.

Sent from my iPhone

marauder21
07-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I still want a 96 Dark Cherry Impalla SS to go along with my DTR.

Sent from my iPhone

You and me both:D most have a black marauder and impala. But a dark Cherry impala, the red trailblazer SS and DTR marauder would be a dream!! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Curless
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
You and me both:D most have a black marauder and impala. But a dark Cherry impala, the red trailblazer SS and DTR marauder would be a dream!! Lol

I'd say it would be an awesome dream! All three matching...sweet! If we are dreaming why not throw in a dark red 300C SRT8 to go with the package?

marauder21
07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
heck, why stop there? Lol why Not add more to the collection? Or DOUBLE the cars? Why just one of each when we can have two of each! Lmao :beer:

hotford
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I like them both.....that being said.......the LT1 just didnt do it for me......now Im sure people have swaped in LS1 into these cars and it would be alot more fun to drive......
If the chevy gear heads are so willing to jam LS1 into fords......you would think at least they would be willing to jam them into these cars............

Curless
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I like them both.....that being said.......the LT1 just didnt do it for me......now Im sure people have swaped in LS1 into these cars and it would be alot more fun to drive......
If the chevy gear heads are so willing to jam LS1 into fords......you would think at least they would be willing to jam them into these cars............

LT1 leaves a lot to be desired when working on them...I like my SS but that blasted Opti Spark is RETARDED!!! As for the swapping, I'd say that the main reason for LS swaps into Fords would be price. The cammer engines Ford produces make awesome power (new Coyote for example) but the cost is hellish. Wish Ford would have kept this in mind when they designed all of the 4.6 / 5.4 / 5.0 engines. They could have kept compatibility between the engines so that we could swap parts to build what we want without having to replace everything each time. The 260 / 289 / 302 all swap parts and no one can argue the "bang for the buck" during the fox body years. They still rock!

DOOM
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I would love to line up against it!

Why in the video when they showed the car going down the track, the time wasn't posted???

Wonder what it runs in the quarter?

Curless
07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I would love to line up against it!

Why in the video when they showed the car going down the track, the time wasn't posted???

Wonder what it runs in the quarter?

EXACTLY! I hate that!

71cyclone
07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I remember seeing a TV show about Tim's car a long time ago. I don't remember what show it was. Chevy put a special engine in it for Tim but the local police use to complain about the loud noise of the car. Sweet! probably had the" BENTFORD" "TOOL PACK" installed :banana2: