PDA

View Full Version : Teen Boy Dupes BMW Dealership

Donny Carlson
02-14-2004, 05:48 PM
From USA Today, 2-13-04

"A teenager posing as a banker duped an Ohio car dealership into delivering a $123,000 BMW to him at his high school in Jersey City, N.J. police in Dublin, Ohio said. After completing paperwork that was mailed to his home, the teen called the dealership pretending to be a banker confirming a wire transfer, police said. The car was delivered at Dickinson High on Jan. 27, two weeks after the suspect turned 17. He was charged with theft by deception."

Hokay... my guess the dealership probably had this car on ebay and had previously delivered high ticket beemers before sight unseen. The kid has nads the size of Nebraska, imo, even though he was an idiot for thinking he could get away with it.

So, some schmuck drove the beemer all the way from Ohio to Jersey City?
You think the new owner needing a hall pass to take delivery would have been a clue, no?:burnout:

Petrograde
02-14-2004, 05:56 PM
:lol: The kid should've been able to keep it for their stupidity!

Tom

jgc61sr2002
02-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Anything for a sale. :lol:

BillyGman
02-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Now if that kid knows of a way to get a 2005 Ford GT like that, then I want to talk to him. :D

martyo
02-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Now if that kid knows of a way to get a 2005 Ford GT like that, then I want to talk to him. :DNow don't go gettin' ideas there Billy....

MapleLeafMerc
02-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Now if that kid knows of a way to get a 2005 Ford GT like that, then I want to talk to him. :D

:lol: (Maybe he takes "requests")

To call that dealer stupid would be an insult to stupid people! Or maybe it was just good old fashioned greed.

BillyGman
02-14-2004, 10:00 PM
LOL..........requests? Hey I gotta get ahold of him. I wonder where he's being held. maybe I can spring him if we cut a deal............(only kidding "uncle" Marty :D )

junehhan
02-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Actually, before we go insulting the dealership, let's realize that there are two sides of the story, and knowing how papers like the USA Today are, that means that we likely have not been told the entire story the would ruin the sensational appeal of this article. They are not giving me enough information to understand what exactly happened.

BillyGman
02-14-2004, 11:56 PM
yep, that's always a possibility w/the press.

Donny Carlson
02-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Actually, before we go insulting the dealership, let's realize that there are two sides of the story, and knowing how papers like the USA Today are, that means that we likely have not been told the entire story the would ruin the sensational appeal of this article. They are not giving me enough information to understand what exactly happened.

From the NBC News Channel 4 website:

Student Accused Of Cheating Dublin BMW Dealer

Midwestern Auto Group Ships Car To New Jersey

<TEXT id=txt_posted>POSTED:</TEXT> 12:55 PM EST February 12, 2004
<TEXT id=txt_updated>UPDATED:</TEXT> 5:56 PM EST February 12, 2004

<!--startindex-->DUBLIN, Ohio -- By posing as a banker, a New Jersey teenager was able to induce a Dublin dealership to deliver a $123,000 BMW to his high school, and then order a second luxury vehicle, police said.

The second one was never shipped, and the first car, with "black sapphire metallic" paint and a heated steering wheel and seats, was found in Raleigh, N.C., Dublin Detective Scott Davis said Thursday.

"He apparently sold the car, and it ended up in a dealership in North Carolina," Davis said. <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The teen was arrested at his Jersey City home after Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin learned from its bank that the payment was never made, police said.

The teen allegedly told MAG that he would wire the cash. The dealership told police the wire transfer was verified by Huntington Bank, and that was why it shipped the car to New Jersey, NewsChannel 4's Nancy Burton reported.

A Huntington Bank representative told NewsChannel 4 that whoever verified the wire transfer was not a real bank employee, but may have been posing as one.

"I don't think we have ever had one like this. It's unique," Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gregory Tomczak told The Jersey Journal of Jersey City in Thursday editions.

The boy was 16 when he called the dealership in early January, ordered a 12-cylinder 2004 BMW 760Li and said his bank would confirm the wire transfer, police said.

After completing and returning paperwork that was mailed to his home, the car was delivered to him at Dickinson High School on Jan. 27, two weeks after the boy turned 17, police said.

On Jan. 27, the teen ordered a second car, and the dealership learned it was never paid for the first vehicle, authorities said.

The teen was not hard to find.

"He did use his correct name, as far as I know," Davis said.

The teen allegedly drove the car for 10 days, Burton reported.

New Jersey police said the teen's parents didn't know about the car because he kept it in a garage several blocks from his home.

New Jersey police said the BMW's registration ran out, so police said the teen sold it to a North Carolina used car dealer for $40,000. The Dublin dealership is going to go to North Carolina to get the car back.

The teen is charged with theft by deception and is no longer in custody, Sgt. Edgar Martinez said.

Authorities did not release the boy's name because he is a juvenile.

Here is a link to the car dealer's web site. They are supposed to be one of the US's larger BMW dealers..

http://www.magcars.com/

the_pack_rat
02-15-2004, 04:24 PM
A Frank Abagnale Jr "wannabe" ?.

:lol:

Eric

woaface
02-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Great! I can get a Marauder now! I guess he does have some huge testes...

jgc61sr2002
02-15-2004, 05:34 PM
IMO he did it as a joke and never thought the car would be delivered. :D James you are more intelligent than that. :coolman:

junehhan
02-15-2004, 10:03 PM
OMG.........

A huge ass premium European car chain like the Midwestern Auto Group should have known better, but this is just plain wrong. If a teenager can justify committing fraud, and a scam like this one here, I wonder how he was raised as a child to have such loose morals. I know some people that work for MagCars too, and this is just sad...............

MAG sells Lotus, Ferrari's, Lambo's, and a lot of exotic brands, anyone interested?