PDA

View Full Version : Checked out the New GTO :(

MERCMAN
02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Stopped by the local GM dealership and they had one GTO. It was in the shop because a grease monkey had broken the key off in the ignition and had been in the shop for a week waiting on parts. I would not like waiting for parts that long if I purchased one!!. The interior was nice, loved the guages, My head was stuck on the ceiling, no head room at all( I am 6'7) The salesman seemed knowledgeable about it. He said everyone was disappointed in the styling. Nothing sets it apart. Also had duals that fed into a single exhaust pipe, :down: I was not impressed with the car. However, I didn't
drive it. engine compartment looked nice. Rear end looked rice. Wish the mm came with the billet pedals the GTO has. All in all, I will take my MM over the GTO. BTW price starts at 30k.

bugsys03
02-15-2004, 10:42 AM
you actually set foot in a GM dealership!! blasphemer:uzi:

Bowman9
02-15-2004, 11:25 AM
I stopped by my pontiac dealer also, they had one black one in stock.
It's a nice car but the looks just didn't grab me :(

I also stoped by my chevy dealer they had an SSR on the showroom floor with do not touch signs on it.
It is alot bigger in person, it is not a roadster that the pictures in magazines make it out to be, it is the size of a truck, maybe a little bigger than a S-10.
But it did look nice. I think the sticker price was about $45k

Zack
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
As far as Im concerned, GM would sell more GTO's if they slapped some Cavalier badges on it and tried to compete against the rice burners.
By the way, the gas tank is INSIDE the car. In the trunk to be exact, protected by a cheesy square tubing crash bar welded to the floor of the trunk. They really fumbled the ball with this car.

UAW 588
02-15-2004, 05:30 PM
By the way, the gas tank is INSIDE the car. In the trunk to be exact, protected by a cheesy square tubing crash bar welded to the floor of the trunk.

Maybe it's supposed to be the modern day version of the Ford Pinto.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Silver_04
02-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Stopped by the local GM dealership and they had one GTO. It was in the shop because a grease monkey had broken the key off in the ignition and had been in the shop for a week waiting on parts. I would not like waiting for parts that long if I purchased one!!. The interior was nice, loved the guages, My head was stuck on the ceiling, no head room at all( I am 6'7) The salesman seemed knowledgeable about it. He said everyone was disappointed in the styling. Nothing sets it apart. Also had duals that fed into a single exhaust pipe, :down: I was not impressed with the car. However, I didn't
drive it. engine compartment looked nice. Rear end looked rice. Wish the mm came with the billet pedals the GTO has. All in all, I will take my MM over the GTO. BTW price starts at 30k.

Nothing wrong with a GTO that buying a Marauder can't fix. :D

bigslim
02-15-2004, 09:14 PM
I looked at one at the Autoshow and was not impressed. Interior was done nicely with real nice seats. Fit and finish inside was good. However the exterior was very bland. It looked like an oversized Sunfire. I did notice that most of the people impressed with it were of the "Ricer Crowd". There was one purple haired fellow that was about ready to have an orgasm over it. I have even checked out their website and I must saw that they market to a different crowd.

89VERT
02-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Maybe it's supposed to be the modern day version of the Ford Pinto.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
All it needs is Firestone Radials !

RCSignals
02-16-2004, 01:34 AM
I saw a Cadillac CTS-V on Motorweek. I didn't think a CTS could be made to look uglier, but they managed it.
It said the starting price is $49,000. Can that be right? :eek:

bigslim
02-16-2004, 07:55 AM
I saw a Cadillac CTS-V on Motorweek. I didn't think a CTS could be made to look uglier, but they managed it.
It said the starting price is $49,000. Can that be right? :eek:
I reallly like the CTS-Z. If it wasn't so expensive I would consider it.

RF Overlord
02-16-2004, 08:31 AM
I agree with an earlier post where someone said the new Caddy looks like a snowplow...

And now that you mention it, the new GTO does look like an oversize Sunfire... :down:

...in addition to not having an oil pressure gauge...

The '04 Grand Prix I rented last week had every gauge except the O.P., but it has a DIC...Driver Information Center...that displays "Low Oil Pressure" when appropriate...woo-freakin'-hoo... :rolleyes:

It also has a display for "Low Tire Pressure"...but it doesn't specify what the threshold is, or what the actual pressure is...again, woo hoo... :rolleyes:

I guess Pontiac must think I'm too stupid to process actual readings...

TAF
02-16-2004, 08:52 AM
I guess Pontiac must think I'm too stupid to process actual readings...
Kinda like Ford doesn't trust SVT/Marauder owners with REAL Oil Pressure Gauges??!!:confused:

D'OH!!!!:lol:

RF Overlord
02-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Kinda like Ford doesn't trust SVT/Marauder owners with REAL Oil Pressure Gauges??!!:confused:

Well, yah...but...at least Ford PRETENDS to put in a gauge... :rolleyes:

And I don't like the Pontiac door lock foolishness...when you push the button, all that happens is a chime...then when you close the door, they don't actually lock for another 5 seconds or so...making me stand there like a goober because I don't trust that they always WILL lock...when I push a button, I want IMMEDIATE ACTION, dammit...

LNYTUNS
02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
As far as Im concerned, GM would sell more GTO's if they slapped some Cavalier badges on it and tried to compete against the rice burners.
By the way, the gas tank is INSIDE the car. In the trunk to be exact, protected by a cheesy square tubing crash bar welded to the floor of the trunk. They really fumbled the ball with this car.
Some "Pontiac Fan" where I work left an acticle out of Bussiness Week on my desk about the new GTO. Here is what the car is, a Chevorolet Monaro Coupe that is sold in Australia, Chevy stuffed a 5.7L Corvette motor in it and changed the gas tank to meet US crash safety standards. The acticle stated that the car is GMs typical "jelly bean" styling right from the early 90's, when the Monaro was originally designed and introduced in Australia.

The "Pontiac Fan" can keep his GTO. Long live the Marauder.

RCSignals
02-16-2004, 05:46 PM
The acticle stated that the car is GMs typical "jelly bean" styling right from the early 90's, when the Monaro was originally designed and introduced in Australia.

Older. It's the old Opel Omega platform

RCSignals
02-16-2004, 05:49 PM

Ford used to use real oil pressure gauges. They changed to the "constant pressure" type because of complaints from dumb customers, who thought the fluctuations meant there was a problem.

dailydriver
03-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Is it just me or does the new "GTO" look like a 2 door Cadillac Catera?

Donny Carlson
03-11-2004, 04:39 PM
I also stoped by my chevy dealer they had an SSR on the showroom floor with do not touch signs on it.
To their great credit, the dealer in Hoover, AL has a nice black one parked out front by the street, leaves the top down, hood open on nice days. You can poke around, sit in it, to your heart's desire.

Hmm, maybe that's how you sell one.

It's way overpriced, but looks cool, imo.