PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ernest Borgnine

N40GL
07-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Cdr. Quinton McHale has left us.

(CNN) -- Film and television actor Ernest Borgnine, who won an Academy Award for his portrayal of a lovelorn butcher in 1955's "Marty," has died at age 95, his manager said Sunday.

The thick-set, gap-toothed Borgnine built a reputation for playing heavies in early films like "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock." But he turned that reputation on its head as the shy, homely title character in "Marty," taking home the Oscar for best actor -- one of four awards the film claimed.

His manager, Lynda Bensky, said Borgnine died of kidney failure Sunday afternoon. His wife, Tova, and children were at his side at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, she said.

"It's a very sad day," Bensky said. "The industry has lost someone great, the caliber of which we will never see again. A true icon. But more importantly, the world has lost a sage and loving man who taught us all how to 'grow young.' His infectious smile and chuckle made the world a happier place."

Born in Connecticut to Italian immigrants, Borgnine -- originally Ermes Effron Borgnino -- began taking theater classes after serving in the Navy during World War II.

He had joined the service after graduating from high school during the Great Depression and had been discharged in 1941, but re-enlisted after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor launched the United States into World War II.

He made the move to films and then television in 1951, racking up more than 200 credits in projects ranging from the era of live television drama to the children's cartoon "SpongeBob SquarePants."

He starred in the 1962-66 sitcom "McHale's Navy," was one of the original celebrities on the game show "The Hollywood Squares" and played William Holden's right-hand-man in Sam Peckinpah's revisionist Western "The Wild Bunch." He also was a regular on the 1980s television drama "Airwolf" and a frequent guest star on a variety of shows.

In addition to his Oscar for "Marty," Borgnine was nominated for three Emmys -- the most recent in 2009, for a guest spot on the hospital drama "ER" -- and won a life achievement award from the Screen Actors Guild in 2010.

Tova Borgnine, whom the actor married in 1973, was his fifth wife. His previous marriages included a brief 1964 union with Broadway legend Ethel Merman that lasted barely a month before the couple separated.
----------------------------
Personal note: In his later years, he was very prominent in the Masonic community (particularly Scottish Rite, where he was very visible at fund raising events for RiteCare - the Scottish Rite's foundation for children with speech and language disorders), where I met and shook his hand once.

Haggis
07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
And let us not forget his role in "Escape From New York", were he played 'Cabbie' the taxi driver sidekick to Kurt Russell's 'Snake Plissken'.

RIP Ernest, Hollywood lost a good one.

Curless
07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Don't forget about his role in Air Wolf in the 80's... RIP.

Ozark Marauder
07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
RIP.........Ernie

8Sz2-IYJ2GA&feature=

OZ

Bluerauder
07-09-2012, 10:00 AM
And let us not forget his role in "Escape From New York", were he played 'Cabbie' the taxi driver sidekick to Kurt Russell's 'Snake Plissken'.

RIP Ernest, Hollywood lost a good one.

Don't forget about his role in Air Wolf in the 80's... RIP.

He was also the General in "The Dirty Dozen" who gave Lee Marvin his mission.

Lots of great character potrayals over his career. Marty was one of the best. Fatso Judson in "From Here to Eternity" was also a memorable character.

R.I.P. Ernie

screamn
07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Good actor especially his role in "Escape from New York"!

May he RIP.

Krytin
07-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Shack in Emperor of the North Pole!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqPcXOe_oSN jlpiFM56sAcGQejekPa_z2Jgmzcrxo hJWIioYNz

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVy6arE-gLfnoVxS57AKkXeREnFDfh6fvnq9Kw Nm_AcIKFPdSW

Krytin
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Mermaid Man from Sponge Bob.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTynQazWW4OD Ee9O84LhaUJusn-GcP8_WH4S_gRRWKNbJJZMyEn

JOEMERC
07-09-2012, 03:51 PM
He was great in the movie Posiedon Adventure remember his wife Stella Stevens was a former prostitute in the movie, lot a great actors in that movie. Seen it a million times it seems. RIP Ernest.he lived a full life at least.

Blackmobile
07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I remember him stating in an interview what his secret was to such a long life..........PM me and I'll spell it out. LOL

RIP Mr. Borgnine

Ms. Denmark
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
He was one of a kind with a face only a mother could love.... and apparently it was his mother who encouraged Ernie to pursue a career in acting. RIP Mr. Borgnine.

Bigdogjim
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Great man ever hear crap about his life like some young stars today.

Mc Hale's Navy was tops!

Bluerauder
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Ernest Borgnine's Filmography is listed here >>>>> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000308/

203 titles from 1951-2012 (Average of 3.5 titles per year for 61 years) not including 138 episodes of McHale's Navy .... he was making movies and TV shows my entire life. He started when I was 1 year old.

jerrym3
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Borgnine died at 95. Kirk Douglas is now 95.

In "The Vikings", Borgnine played Douglas' (and Tony Curtis') father, Ragar.

Never realized that, in real life, they were the same age.

Blk Mamba
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I liked him in Railkings, with Lee Marvin, I've seen it 6-7 times.

05crownsport
07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Great man ever hear crap about his life like some young stars today.

Mc Hale's Navy was tops!

Amen to that brother! The term "they don't make them like they used to" would fit well here. May he live eternally in what he has left for all to enjoy.