PDA

View Full Version : Price opinions wanted

RF Overlord
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Looking at a 2000 Grand Monkey GS...120,000 miles...the usual options. Seems to be in very good condition. I'm going to test-drive it tomorrow and put it on a lift to check out the underside, but what I could see and hear on the lot there's nothing major wrong.

Dealer is asking $3900...what do y'all think is a fair offer?

Curless
07-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Sounds cheap to me...at least it would be around here. Any idea of condition? Tires, a/c (working), paint, interior??? I hit them hard at a dealer walk in with cash and be a grand less!

Spectragod
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I sold a 2000 last summer, it had 142k on it, and it sold for $4900, IMO, it was mechanically fine, it had the typical Ford white de-laminating issue and needed paint, and the leather replaced in a couple of spots.

If that's what you want for a driver, go for it, I would offer $1500, I paid $1200 for the one I sold, trade in isn't much, but retail sure is.....

RF Overlord
07-11-2012, 03:28 PM
The owner of this particular lot also owns the taxi service that my company uses fairly frequently, and I told him I was looking for something on the lower end of the scale and that I knew he went to all the auctions. I don't want to insult him if he's already giving me a good deal, but I want to hear what the collective has to say.

Bradley G
07-11-2012, 03:30 PM
They own the car for spit, that being said good cheap used cars usually draw a decent buck,tell em a quarter, They gotta' make sumthin':P

screamn
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I hit them hard at a dealer walk in with cash and be a grand less!

What he said ^^^^^.

Doesn't hurt to try. If agreed, you saved some $ that you can use to fix her up or use for the usual maintenance. You'll may also feel like you won or got the better deal.

As we say in Hawaii "CHANCE EM" aka take a chance!

I wouldn't worry about insulting because if the offer is too low they'll let you know!

And like was said earlier, cash up front/payment will always make the offer acceptable or agreeable.

Hope this helps your decision.

RoyLPita
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
OASIS report?

slickster
07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
It better be nice and not a fleet car. Offer 3k

RF Overlord
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
OASIS report?After my test drive tomorrow, I'll get the VIN and PM you, Brian...thanks. :)

Cobra25
07-11-2012, 05:28 PM
The car is already 12 years old and its a GS not a LS . If you like the car and you dont wish to insult him I'd say offer him in the range around $3000 to $3200 if it's in good shape & it checks out fine.

babbage
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
2000's have:

NPI heads (less power)

Plastic intake - you should replace it with the updated metal one (fairly often they can crack) and blow major coolant.

Possible timing chain issue. At 100K you should be able to hear the chains grinding into the metal part on the tensioner arms if it has this problem. There is a TSB on this for 2000-2003 2v engines. Obviously you realize that if the chains have eaten into the tensioners and become too loose it will jump the sprockets and grenade the heads and or engine.

I think it's fair, look underneath for rust. I'd be looking for an HPP (factory duals) etc.

All I can think of. Post up some pics!

tbone
07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Looking at a 2000 Grand Monkey GS...120,000 miles...the usual options. Seems to be in very good condition. I'm going to test-drive it tomorrow and put it on a lift to check out the underside, but what I could see and hear on the lot there's nothing major wrong.

Dealer is asking $3900...what do y'all think is a fair offer?

High.

I'll sell you a 1999 Lincoln Town Car with 102,000 for $3900.

Mr. Man
07-11-2012, 07:09 PM
2000's have:

NPI heads (less power)

Plastic intake - you should replace it with the updated metal one (fairly often they can crack) and blow major coolant.

Possible timing chain issue. At 100K you should be able to hear the chains grinding into the metal part on the tensioner arms if it has this problem. There is a TSB on this for 2000-2003 2v engines. Obviously you realize that if the chains have eaten into the tensioners and become too loose it will jump the sprockets and grenade the heads and or engine.

I think it's fair, look underneath for rust. I'd be looking for an HPP (factory duals) etc.

All I can think of. Post up some pics!
Hello Aluminator :banana::lol:
We had a 2000 CV and there was always something wrong with it, so we moved into a Marauder.