PDA

View Full Version : Silverstars? Hmmm

MarauderMark
02-15-2004, 08:43 PM
My nephew is on this site and showed me this thread and i thought i would share this with alla ya'll...:rolleyes:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32779

jgc61sr2002
02-15-2004, 08:52 PM
The street glow sure does look brighter.

TAF
02-15-2004, 08:57 PM
IMHO...Blue = :puke: Rice

If you can't have TRUE HIDs...Silverstars are by FAR the best look.

bigslim
02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
I hear that the Streetglows don't last long. I also think that the Silverstars shine farther.

woaface
02-15-2004, 10:03 PM
While those streetglows look alright, their cheap for a reason. The silverstarts are covering a wider area...

RF Overlord
02-16-2004, 05:10 AM

You said it, bro...Blue = Rice.

...as someone said in that thread, you can't compare headlights by shining them on a pile of dirty lumpy snow, then taking a picture with a camera that's not properly white-balanced... :nono: MY SilverStars don't look that yellow... :rolleyes:

modular46
02-16-2004, 06:19 AM
from going to dodgeintrepid.net, so I can't tell you which is better. :help:

martyo
02-16-2004, 06:21 AM
...as someone said in that thread, don't eat yellow snow... :rolleyes:Bob: I have been telling Todd this for years and he still just won't listen!! :eek:

merc
02-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Well Mark you saw my head lights and tail lights. Check my sig, I have had street glows for just under 1.5 years without any problems. Oh, RC I don't think I am a Ricer, but a crock pot killer. :beer:

hitchhiker
03-26-2004, 05:48 PM

Yup! What He Said!

nexstar7
03-26-2004, 06:19 PM
will the wireing hold the power. you know how sesative our wireing is. :confused:

sailsmen
03-26-2004, 06:20 PM
I found the low beams on the SS to be a dramatic improvement over OEM. Being in an urban area that is whats important to me.

The picture in the thread the SS clearly provide more illumination.

I guess the guy was only interested in blue looking head lites. Why not just paint the bulbs w/ high temp blue paint? I won't suggest it on the site because he would probably do it and get in a wreck due to low illumination.

CRUZTAKER
03-26-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm with Merc on this one...I like my Zenons and no one has every called my car a ricer.:coolman:

nexstar7
03-26-2004, 07:24 PM
thats nice to hear that no one has called your car a ricer. but will the lights after a while hurt the wiring ? who wants to pay to replace that. iam sure it will be lots of $$$$$$$$$$.

Stephen Soulsby
03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
I've tried them all. Street glows, Euro Dezigns, Koba, APC, and not one of them lasted more than 6 months I have had Silverstars now and am extremely happy. I would have Silverstars in my LS too, but they don't make a 9145 bulb and I don't want to have mis-matched headlights and driving lights. That would just be gay.

CRUZTAKER
03-26-2004, 08:17 PM
.... will the lights after a while hurt the wiring ? who wants to pay to replace that. iam sure it will be lots of $$$$$$$$$$.
Knock on wood, I have used the 80/100 zenon lamps for nearly 4 years on the marquis, and nearly two on the MM, and no signs of trouble over all these years.

RCSignals
03-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh, RC I don't think I am a Ricer, but a crock pot killer. :beer:

I am so confused

jaywish
03-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Well I haven't used anything exotic other than the Sylvania Silver Stars but I like them so much in my GM that I have a nice new pair of SSS's in in a cardbord box marked 'Marauder' just waiting.

duhtroll
03-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Who cares about headlights?

All I know is someone over there (Goliath27) stole my avatar.

After I went through all that trouble of stealing/modifying it myself. :shake:

:P

-A

halucin8
03-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Who cares about headlights?

All I know is someone over there (Goliath27) stole my avatar.

After I went through all that trouble of stealing/modifying it myself. :shake:

:P

-A

The Evil Monkey gets around!! He's not just in Chris' bedroom.

metroplex
03-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Silverstars are overwatted tinted bulbs.

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

They advertise that they have a max of 60/70W, stockers are usually advertised as 55/65, but the obvious thing with the SS's is their tint.

ANY amount of tint reduces light output. In order to compensate for this reduction, they need to boost the wattage a tad.... It's the same principle with using 80/100W blue bulbs to get that bright white light.

I upgraded the wiring, added relays, and went with Sylvania Xtravision 9007s on my Vic as recommended by Dan Stern Lighting.

There have been a few ppl on CVN that went as far as calling Sylvania and asking for specs only to find that the SilverStars do not have as long of a rated lifespan as the Xtravisions.

IMHO any product that is advertised as "the look of HID" and aren't HIDs are just ricer-bulbs, oh lookee here:
http://www.sylvania.com/auto/images/after.gif

mtnh
03-29-2004, 08:55 AM
The LS foglights work really well with a set of silverstar 9005 hi-beams in place of the anemic 33-watt (or so) 9145s. Also, the Silverstars will be "ported" to the 9145 bulb soon, according to one of Sylvania's reps who is a member of www.llsoc.com, the private Lincoln LS Owners Club ($35/year membership). This guy also states that the expected life of a silverstar bulb is on the order of 1 year, because, as he states, you trade off better lighting for shorter bulb life. Sure, sure, sure. I have around 16 months on my MM's silverstars (which didn't do that much for the car with the tinted headlight lenses, compared to the world of difference they made in the LS) and no sign of bulb outages yet. At $20 a whack, I don't want to be replacing headlamp bulbs that often. Oh yes, I bought only 4 silverstar bulbs for my LS, so the low beams and the fogs have them installed, but the hi-beams are still plain halogen. What a comparison test that is to switch from lows/fogs to hi beams with the different lighting. Well, that is not quite what I would define as "gay", but it irks the heck out of my wife. Luckily, I rarely use the high beams, but will, eventually, change the high beams for silverstars and be done with it.

Mike

metroplex
03-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Some more ricer garbage:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/sssignal.htm

SS Turn Signal bulbs look different colors when off, but when its on it glows the legal color. :rolleyes:

Fourth Horseman
03-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Just ordered myself a set. Doesn't seem ricey to me, I just want whiter light.

metroplex
03-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Of course its whiter light. It's got a filter/tint on the glass. Then they bumped up the wattage to somewhat compensate for the reduction in light.

I want a light that works. Not just because its white. :shot:

Fourth Horseman
03-29-2004, 04:46 PM
According to people here that have used them, they get more light and visibility out of them. Their recommendation is good enough for me.

Stephen Soulsby
03-29-2004, 05:13 PM
The LS foglights work really well with a set of silverstar 9005 hi-beams in place of the anemic 33-watt (or so) 9145s. Also, the Silverstars will be "ported" to the 9145 bulb soon, according to one of Sylvania's reps who is a member of www.llsoc.com, the private Lincoln LS Owners Club ($35/year membership). This guy also states that the expected life of a silverstar bulb is on the order of 1 year, because, as he states, you trade off better lighting for shorter bulb life. Sure, sure, sure. I have around 16 months on my MM's silverstars (which didn't do that much for the car with the tinted headlight lenses, compared to the world of difference they made in the LS) and no sign of bulb outages yet. At $20 a whack, I don't want to be replacing headlamp bulbs that often. Oh yes, I bought only 4 silverstar bulbs for my LS, so the low beams and the fogs have them installed, but the hi-beams are still plain halogen. What a comparison test that is to switch from lows/fogs to hi beams with the different lighting. Well, that is not quite what I would define as "gay", but it irks the heck out of my wife. Luckily, I rarely use the high beams, but will, eventually, change the high beams for silverstars and be done with it.

Mike

When I first got the LS I used 9005 bulbs in place of the 9145. Three words, BRIGHT AS S***. Absolutley blinding to oncoming traffic. I was getting constantly flashed, and to me it was "queer" looking to have driving lights that seemed three times brighter than the headlights.

9145 bulbs are 45w and have a coating over the top of the capsul so you don't directly see the iluminated filiment. Consider the more straight aiming of driving lights and they look 100% equal in light output as the 9006 low beams.

What really got me p***** off was when on two seperate occasions I bought 9145 bubs on eBay only to be sent 9005 bulbs. The moron sellers claimed that 9145 had been superceded to 9005. Even thought the auctoins clearly stated I would recieve 9145 bulbs and pictured them. Just a warning not to get ripped off.

NOMARQUIS
03-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Can the MM's fog lamp bulbs be changed to Silverstars? Does anyone use "Cool Blue" by Sylvania?

Eric

Stephen Soulsby
03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Can the MM's fog lamp bulbs be changed to Silverstars? Does anyone use "Cool Blue" by Sylvania?

Eric

They do make Silverstar driving light bulbs for our cars. H1ST is the part number I think. And the Cool Blues are about halfway between halogen and silverstars. Halogen is 3200k, CB are 3800K, and SS are 4000K color temperature if I'm not mistaken.

woaface
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Of course its whiter light. It's got a filter/tint on the glass. Then they bumped up the wattage to somewhat compensate for the reduction in light.

I want a light that works. Not just because its white. :shot:IMO, the tint put on the silverstars is less than than that of the PIAA ones I've seen, therefore looking less blue, and more white with hint of blue. The silverstars on my Marquis still make me say "wow" over the old bulbs. They're not only a nicer color, but cover the area more completely that they're aimed at. They shoot about 5-10 feet farther than my old bulbs.

Barry, where do you get your HID's? The guy I know who owns the Porsche got a set and mentioned something about if you look around you can get a decent set and not for several hundred dollars.

mtnh
03-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Steve,

I have not yet had a hi-beam flash at me since installing the SS in my LS' fog lamps. I passed by my neighbor (a serious motorhead, albeit a chevy man) right after the install and specifically asked him to verify the brightness of the silverstar fog lamps, and he said that they appeared to be normal and not offensive. I had heard some at LLSOC bemoan the silverstars as fog lights and some claim as I do, that they are aimed such that the intensity is not directed at the oncoming traffic's eyes, and that the 9005's deleted painted filament protector is not that big of a deal. I will switch down to 9145s when they become available, however.

Hey, nice cars in your siggy!

Mike