PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable price to expect out of my 183k mile 03 MM?

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
(so you dont have to hunt for the pics): http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/2003%20Mercury%20Marauder/?start=all

My reason for selling is that I want to get a 2013 Mustang GT next year, and unfortunately to do that, the one year plan includes selling my 03 MM. More than that, I don't have the garage space for three cars (I have a 93 LX Coupe taking up half the garage right now, my Marauder taking up the other half). As much as I don't want to sell it, I'm 90% sure that it's just going to have to happen. I've thought about building a carport and keeping it out there under a cover.. but I digress.

The car is in about as good of shape as one could be for the miles it has. In fact, I'd put it up against cars with 1/4 the miles mine has. The paint is 8/10. Interior is 9/10, very few dents (I had 14 pulled out when I had it professionally buffed a couple years ago). It has had a BUNCH of parts replaced on it within the last year or two, mostly OEM Ford stuff. It looks, runs, and drives like a car with 1k miles on it. It doesn't leak a drop of anything, the oil analysis I send to Blackstone always comes back saying that the oil looks like it comes from an engine with 50k less miles, etc. But, I am realistic. I know that high miles scare most people..

Anyway enough bragging :P

I was thinking about asking 8k and HOPING for 7k or thereabouts. I'd drive it from here to Alaska and back without a second thought. Yeah, everyone says something like that, but this is seriously the best, most reliable, trouble-free car I've ever owned. I know the previous owner, and he knows the original owner, so I know the entire history of the car. I bought it with 130k.

Anyway (this isn't a for sale ad.. it's not actually for sale yet) - Here's a rough write-up that I plan on using for my sale ad, maybe with a few tweaks.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...ry%20Marauder/

2003 Mercury Marauder
Black
Garage kept and rarely driven on rainy days since I've owned it
Charcoal leather interior
Mostly stock (has been programmed to change shift points and for firmer shifts.. otherwise mechanically is stock)
183k miles
Tinted Windows
Power Locks
Power Windows
Power Mirrors
Power Seats w/lumbar
Cruise control
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Factory stereo w/6 disc trunk CD changer and aftermarket speakers (Boston Acoustic in the door, Pioneer in the rear deck)

This car is in great shape despite the miles. I am very meticulous with maintainence and mainly use factory Ford parts when it needs them. Everything listed below was replaced as preventative maintainence, not because something broke.

List of things recently replaced:
-Shocks and struts were replaced 10k miles ago with factory OEM Motorcraft/Tokico shocks/struts
-Front hubs
-Brakes (Police Interceptor OEM Motorcraft pads on the front)
-Tires were replaced in October 2011 and are the same OEM model BF Goodrich KDWS and factory tire sizes
-Water pump (OEM Motorcraft)
-Battery (OEM Motorcraft)
-Alternator (OEM Motorcraft)
-Belt (OEM Motorcraft)
-Fuel Filter (OEM Motorcraft)
-Spark plugs (OEM Motorcraft)
-Air Filter (Fram)
-Pinion seal (OEM Motorcraft) - When I replaced this, I filled the rear end with Mobil1 Synthetic rear end lube.
-I've used Mobil1 5w20 and Motorcraft oil filters since I bought the car with 130k miles

These things were replaced because of failure:
-EATC O-rings
-Blend door motor (OEM Motorcraft)
-Headlight Control Module fix

The car needs very little to be perfect. There is a 1/4" wear hole in the driver's seat (pictured below). Other than that the interior is good to go. In addition to the factory Autometer Oil PSI and Voltmeter, this car also has a matching Autometer transmission temperature gauge. The front bumper and hood have some chips and marks on them as you'd expect for a car with original paint that has this amount of miles on it.

I had the entire car buffed in 2009 and it still looks FANTASTIC. However, it has been driven and there are a few small areas in the paint that could be addressed if you are picky.

It averages 18-19 mpg around town and 23-24 on the interstate, which is not bad considering the car weighs in around 4200 lbs. It also handles very well thanks to the factory Tokico shocks and struts, Police Interceptor front springs, factory Watts link rear suspension design, and 18" wheels and BF Goodrich KDWS tires. Overall between acceleration, handling, and braking, the car is very well balanced.

Very few things on the car need to be addressed in order to make it mechanically perfect.
-The parking brake shoes have worn and as a result the parking brake does not function.
-The engine consumes a small amount of oil due to valve seals (sometimes puffs a small amount of smoke on warm startup) (approx 1/2 qt in 3k miles which is not abnormal by any means).
-There is a small crack in the body trim in front of the hood, and the driver's side headlight bezel has been damaged and repaired with epoxy at some point in the past

I wouldn't be scared to drive the car across the country, as I have done with it every year since 2009.

Now that you've spent five minutes reading this, onto the good stuff. Pictures!

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/2003%20Mercury%20Marauder/?start=all

Mr. Man
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Just curious, I get the impression you really like the MM so why not get rid of the other car?

fastblackmerc
07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
(so you dont have to hunt for the pics): http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/2003%20Mercury%20Marauder/?start=all

My reason for selling is that I want to get a 2013 Mustang GT next year, and unfortunately to do that, the one year plan includes selling my 03 MM. More than that, I don't have the garage space for three cars (I have a 93 LX Coupe taking up half the garage right now, my Marauder taking up the other half). As much as I don't want to sell it, I'm 90% sure that it's just going to have to happen. I've thought about building a carport and keeping it out there under a cover.. but I digress.

The car is in about as good of shape as one could be for the miles it has. In fact, I'd put it up against cars with 1/4 the miles mine has. The paint is 8/10. Interior is 9/10, very few dents (I had 14 pulled out when I had it professionally buffed a couple years ago). It has had a BUNCH of parts replaced on it within the last year or two, mostly OEM Ford stuff. It looks, runs, and drives like a car with 1k miles on it. It doesn't leak a drop of anything, the oil analysis I send to Blackstone always comes back saying that the oil looks like it comes from an engine with 50k less miles, etc. But, I am realistic. I know that high miles scare most people..

Anyway enough bragging :P

I was thinking about asking 8k and HOPING for 7k or thereabouts. I'd drive it from here to Alaska and back without a second thought. Yeah, everyone says something like that, but this is seriously the best, most reliable, trouble-free car I've ever owned. I know the previous owner, and he knows the original owner, so I know the entire history of the car. I bought it with 130k.

Anyway (this isn't a for sale ad.. it's not actually for sale yet) - Here's a rough write-up that I plan on using for my sale ad, maybe with a few tweaks.

2003 Mercury Marauder
Black
Garage kept and rarely driven on rainy days since I've owned it
Charcoal leather interior
Mostly stock (has been programmed to change shift points and for firmer shifts.. otherwise mechanically is stock)
183k miles
Tinted Windows
Power Locks
Power Windows
Power Mirrors
Power Seats w/lumbar
Cruise control
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Factory stereo w/6 disc trunk CD changer and aftermarket speakers (Boston Acoustic in the door, Pioneer in the rear deck)

This car is in great shape despite the miles. I am very meticulous with maintainence and mainly use factory Ford parts when it needs them. Everything listed below was replaced as preventative maintainence, not because something broke.

List of things recently replaced:
-Shocks and struts were replaced 10k miles ago with factory OEM Motorcraft/Tokico shocks/struts
-Front hubs
-Brakes (Police Interceptor OEM Motorcraft pads on the front)
-Tires were replaced in October 2011 and are the same OEM model BF Goodrich KDWS and factory tire sizes
-Water pump (OEM Motorcraft)
-Battery (OEM Motorcraft)
-Alternator (OEM Motorcraft)
-Belt (OEM Motorcraft)
-Fuel Filter (OEM Motorcraft)
-Spark plugs (OEM Motorcraft)
-Air Filter (Fram)
-Pinion seal (OEM Motorcraft) - When I replaced this, I filled the rear end with Mobil1 Synthetic rear end lube.
-I've used Mobil1 5w20 and Motorcraft oil filters since I bought the car with 130k miles

The car needs very little to be perfect. There is a 1/4" wear hole in the driver's seat (pictured below). Other than that the interior is good to go. In addition to the factory Autometer Oil PSI and Voltmeter, this car also has a matching Autometer transmission temperature gauge. The front bumper and hood have some chips and marks on them as you'd expect for a car with original paint that has this amount of miles on it.

I had the entire car buffed in 2009 and it still looks FANTASTIC. However, it has been driven and there are a few small areas in the paint that could be addressed if you are picky.

It averages 18-19 mpg around town and 23-24 on the interstate, which is not bad considering the car weighs in around 4200 lbs. It also handles very well thanks to the factory Tokico shocks and struts, Police Interceptor front springs, factory Watts link rear suspension design, and 18" wheels and BF Goodrich KDWS tires. Overall between acceleration, handling, and braking, the car is very well balanced.

Very few things on the car need to be addressed in order to make it mechanically perfect.
-The parking brake shoes have worn and as a result the parking brake does not function.
-The engine consumes a small amount of oil due to valve seals (sometimes puffs a small amount of smoke on warm startup) (approx 1/2 qt in 3k miles which is not abnormal by any means).
-There is a small crack in the body trim in front of the hood, and the driver's side headlight bezel has been damaged and repaired with epoxy at some point in the past

I wouldn't be scared to drive the car across the country, as I have done with it every year since 2009.

Now that you've spent five minutes reading this, onto the good stuff. Pictures!

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/2003%20Mercury%20Marauder/?start=all

If your selling it here no need to list all the stock equipment... all Marauders have it.

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Just curious, I get the impression you really like the MM so why not get rid of the other car?

Oh, my coupe.. no way :) That's the one car I shall never part with. It's currently getting 6.0L LSx and T/56 swap.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/1993%20Mustang%20LX%20Coupe/IMG_3303.jpg

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
If your selling it here no need to list all the stock equipment... all Marauders have it.

Yeah, I understand that. That's what I'll be using on Craigslist/other forums, etc. I didn't feel the need to edit out line items piece by piece based on what forum it will be posted on and what the forum members may/may not know.

Blackmobile
07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh, my coupe.. no way :) That's the one car I shall never part with. It's currently getting 6.0L LSx and T/56 swap.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/shaft311/1993%20Mustang%20LX%20Coupe/IMG_3303.jpg

Nuff Said, That is almost too pretty to take to the track.....Notice I said ALMOST!:D

marauder410
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
those rear drag radials looks soo sexyy

i cannot wait to my MM needs new tires again so i can get me a set of the nitto drag radials and get rid of these stockers

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys. I bought that car in 2000 with 52k miles on it, bone stock.

CBT
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Normally I'm like "Meh." when I see a Mustang but this car is sharp as a tack!
Glad the 'rauder coils worked for ya. (keep it :)) :beer:

JOEMERC
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Dam you put all those miles on your Marauder ? I do like those new Mustangs though good luck with getting it.

ImpalaSlayer
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
take a ride in a coyote, you'll forget all about a marauder.

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Normally I'm like "Meh." when I see a Mustang but this car is sharp as a tack!
Glad the 'rauder coils worked for ya. (keep it :)) :beer:

Thank you very much :)

Dam you put all those miles on your Marauder ? I do like those new Mustangs though good luck with getting it.

I got it with 130k, and put the other 53k on it since the summer of 2008. Lots of commuting and trips including the Hot Rod Power Tour three times.

take a ride in a coyote, you'll forget all about a marauder.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen :lol:

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 07:02 PM
So, does anyone have any thoughts on the price?

tbone
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Start high, go down.

ReefBlueCoupe
07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
http://www.lxcoupe.com/images/mad1.gif

tbone
07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Sarnak says: Try for 9k.

Blackmobile
07-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd say list it at $8500 and give um a discount to $8K and take ~$7500

ReefBlueCoupe
07-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Old bump. I ended up selling it for $6800 last summer.

Bluerauder
07-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Old bump. I ended up selling it for $6800 last summer.

Looks like you did pretty well. :up: KBB puts the private party sale at $5,890 (Very Good condition) or $6,236 (Excellent). The dealer suggested retail price would have been about $1,100 higher ($7,919) than what you sold for. You may have been able to hold out for a little more now that these cars are getting harder to find in really decent shape; but that may have taken more time than you were willing to wait.

clmrt
07-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Better than the $4500 a dealer offered me on a 95K mile car.

NXSBOB
07-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Links do not work for me.

Bluerauder
07-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Links do not work for me.

The original post was from a year ago. He probably took down the pics when the car was sold last summer.

cer0413
07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
Y is this in the unreads