PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Trains/ American Flyer

Baaad GN
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I know, I know this is the farthest thing from a car thing but I thought what the Heck!!
So my question is who has Lionel trains etc an who would be interesting in selling them.
I starting collecting them back in 1969 with my son Bad Merc and over the years have aquired an exception number of trains. Brad has slowed some here after buying his new house etc but we always looking. If ya want to get rid of them or know someone who might will give you far value.
American Flyer not worth as much and most are reqally trashed unfortunately but still consider them.

regards

fastblackmerc
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I have some that I'd be willing to part with.

Will try to get a list and some pics.

Mike M
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Trains are cool, I started collecting Aurora ThunderJets H.O. cars years ago as well as old hot wheels and old matchbox. All from the 60's.

justbob
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Can't help ya Ed. I am very far on the other end with my N scale. LOL Your Lionel's would EAT my N's!

Sent from my Ally while ruling the world from my toilet.

Bluerauder
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
So my question is who has Lionel trains etc an who would be interesting in selling them.

You probably would have loved the "Train Store" at the Strassburg Railway during Marauderville IX (MV9) >>>> http://strasburgrailroad.com/. Lots of Lionel trains there including all of the accessory sets. Brought back some real memories of the Lionel train that I had growing up. I think my older sister and her husband snatched up that set while I was in Germany with the US Army.

Baaad GN
07-16-2012, 05:03 PM
N scale, at least you could build a large train board, if we did it we would need the whole house. This train collecting turned out to be a sickness, over the years we've spent so much money that we are on those private train sale meets. Brad and I talk about the sale we went to in Indy years back where they started out selling just empty boxe's, I think the first few sold for around $5,000 to $6,000 apiece, Brad looked at me and said lets go I can't even afford the boxe's let alone a train.
We've learned a lot, some trains are worth nothing but people think they are gold and go to ebay to prove that fact and others $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Just got to know what your doing.
Brad has always been into the Mint stuff, train sets where the box's have never been open or cars never touched, I've restored so many boat anchors I can't remember them all and than we slowed down a year or two ago, just getting the idea to see whats out there. Ya know Bob after all these years we could sell the collection and pay brads New house off, sssssssssshhhhhh hope the women didn't hear that! Bob Didn't you see some of his trains when at Brads House?

Baaad GN
07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
What is it with the Military, I had two large Lionel trains sets when I was growing up from the 50's, went to Viet Nam 66-67 and when I returned stopped by my cousins house and there were all my trains scattered everywhere, didn't know what to say! Went and asked my Mother what the HELLLLLLLLLLL! Never really forgave her for that but she said they were toys and I was a grown man. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
My *&^&*&& Aunt got mad one day and put them all in the garbage! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Hated her to!!!!!!!!
1969 bought Brad a train, it was not as good as mine and upset me so started to look for the old good stuff! The sickness started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guspech750
07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Man I love trains and would love to collect trains. But I would be a dead man considering my collection of sports stuff of all kinds.

So I just make do by going to the Union Railway Museum.

merc
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I have my complete train set from the 60's. I will post pictures in the next couple of weeks. The set is located in Newark NJ.

IwantmyMMnow!
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
My Dad is into trains. Growing up my brother and I had O scale to play with since we weren't allowed to 'touch' his HO scale stuff. He eventually sold most of his HO stuff and moved to N scale. The O scale stuff is at my brother's house. I have a decent collection of N scale; sold about half of it last summer to help make ends meet. I had built a couple of simple tables when I was in Mass; that's when I learned why my Dad didn't want us touching his trains! :mad: It seemed my kids weren't interested unless something got broken...I dunno how many times they asked me to make the trains 'crash'. :mad2:

I'm still holding on to the dream of building a layout of the iron ore lines in upper Michigan/Wisconsin (where my parents are from) and one of the paper mill in Canton (about 20 miles west of here). I'm hoping that next summer I can find a place that's got a bit more room than where I'm at now. A garage and a 'bonus' room of some sort would be sweet...then I could take care of both passions...the MM and my trains.

Brad33
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
I've got my grandfather's American Flyer collection. Several locomotives and a few buildings. Train station, coal building, cattle yard, maybe another one...

And I've got my dad's Lionel trains.

We have talked about selling them, so let me know if you're interested.

Shoot me your email, and I'll send you the pics I have.

RubberCtyRauder
07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I have my dad's lionel train set that he got for xmas when he was 5, so it is from 1931. I'm keeping it though, along with his metal toy trucks. I can appreciate a good collection, congrats and best wishes for expanding it.

robertmee
07-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Long time HO modeler since the early 70's. I'm building a new layout now in the sunroom for my 7 year old. A 4'x15'x8' dog leg with mountains/tunnels, switching yard/turntable, etc. Still going old school (non-DCS) :D

Baaad GN
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok guy's here's my email address, also Brads email address, if you could copy us both in I'd appreciate it. Ya know it's more of us OLD timers that seem to love these trains and they were expensive back then so if you got one you were lucky. The kids now aday's have computers that if you sold one like they have today to Russia you would be charged as a spy! Just different time I guess, I remember riding on steam engines as years ago my father was a engineer on the Milwakee RR, went by our house so I met the train and took a ride.
Anyway here''s our email address, would love to see what you have!
Ed Linthicum (Baaad Gn) Bickki@aol.com
Brad Linthicum (Bad Merc) Bradstirr@aol.com
Regards

Baaad GN
07-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Ya Joe know what your talking about, to be blunt we've hid for years the money we put into trains, I remember I bought an engine for like $310.00 and it's worth maybe $600.00, I was so proud of myself and told my wife about the great deal! Her comment is it was like burning $300.00 in the fire place because I'd never sold anything before so that money was gone! yep I guess she had a point.

robertmee
07-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Just different time I guess, I remember riding on steam engines as years ago my father was a engineer on the Milwakee RR, went by our house so I met the train and took a ride.

That started my love of trains as well....My grandfather retired from the RR. He was a railman for Seaboard Airline which later became Seaboard Coastline.