PDA

View Full Version : My new ride is awesome...

RF Overlord
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
......NOT! :D

With all the common issues affecting ABS, RAS, EATC, funky expensive rear tires, etc, my new DD is a relief because it has NONE of those.

2000 Grand Marquis GS:

No ABS
Manual HVAC
Coil springs
Peg-Leg differential
Single exhaust
Same cheap-o tires all around
Nothing to break down and empty my wallet! :up:

Well, maybe the plastic intake...but I'm-a cross my fingers on that one. :rolleyes:

Ms. Denmark
07-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Pics please!:)

RF Overlord
07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm embarrassed to take pix...this is the ULTIMATE Grandpa-mobile...even has a Landau roof. :shake:

(OMG...I am SO lame...)

DOOM
07-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Sounds like a good beater to me! :up:

Bigdogjim
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Bob: Nothing worng with a GM DD when you got 2 marauders:up:

tbone
07-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I had a recent scare on the plastic intake on my Town Car. It was leaking at the thermostat. So I bought a new stat and o-ring and it still leaked. So I doubled up on the o-ring and now it's fine. What a relief!

SC Cheesehead
07-18-2012, 04:05 AM
I'm embarrassed to take pix...this is the ULTIMATE Grandpa-mobile...even has a Landau roof. :shake:

(OMG...I am SO lame...)

Slap a set of Dubs on that rascal, Bob, and you'll be rollin'.

;) -------> :D

Haggis
07-18-2012, 04:10 AM

(OMG...I am SO lame...)

...and with your eye sight get some curb feelers.

Oh yea, congrats & good luck Gramps.

SC Cheesehead
07-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Oh, and don't forget these always a nice touch and a guaranteed good time out on the streets:

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Baaad GN
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
With all that money your gonna save after 10-15 years you might be able to afford
a 5.0 Mustang. I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a Boss on the floor, with add on"s right around $50,000 ( that included state tax of 8%, need that for the state link cards.) Geez in 1969 I ordered my New Impala SS, working my deals the car was about $3,300.00 but with the 427 425HP ( which the dealer said you couldn't get)there was an additional cost of $600.00 if I remember right!

babbage
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
......NOT! :D

With all the common issues affecting ABS, RAS, EATC, funky expensive rear tires, etc, my new DD is a relief because it has NONE of those.

2000 Grand Marquis GS:

No ABS
Manual HVAC
Coil springs
Peg-Leg differential
Single exhaust
Same cheap-o tires all around
Nothing to break down and empty my wallet! :up:

Well, maybe the plastic intake...but I'm-a cross my fingers on that one. :rolleyes:

You forgot Non-PI heads. :P

I warned you about the intake, in your other thread.. Looks like this?

http://www.maxeysunroofs.com/images/mercGrandMarquis.gif

N40GL
07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.hornblasters.com/

Fourteen hundred dollars for HORNS?

Holy Guacamole, Batman!

MM2004
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Fourteen hundred dollars for HORNS?

Holy Guacamole, Batman!

Yep.

1,400.00 of loud as hell in a can.

Guaranteed to make unsuspecting people wet their pants.

:lol:

Mike.

SC Cheesehead
07-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Yep.

1,400.00 of loud as hell in a can.

Guaranteed to make unsuspecting people wet their pants.

:lol:

Mike.

Yup, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPE6nGXVqE&feature=relmfu

RF Overlord
07-18-2012, 03:18 PM
You forgot Non-PI heads. :P No I didn't...I was just listing things that the car doesn't have that I don't have to worry about breaking. I don't think PI heads break down more than NPI.

Looks like this?No, the one in your pic is a faux convertible. Mine's a landau...like this:

...only not brown. ( :banned: )

screamn
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
At least you don't have to worry about finding a prime parking spot.

Nicks and dents who cares.....just adds character

Bluerauder
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM

(OMG...I am SO lame...)

Should have gotten one of these as a Daily Driver ..... it takes the edge off of being a GrandPa. :D But it almost makes the MM look like an intermediate size car.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/TwoCars0001.JPG

Ms. Denmark
07-18-2012, 05:41 PM
^^^^ Honestly....I prolly would get another Marauder as a DD. In fact I have begun to fantasize about doing just that!;)

ReefBlueCoupe
07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Should have gotten one of these as a Daily Driver ..... it takes the edge off of being a GrandPa. :D But it almost makes the MM look like an intermediate size car.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/TwoCars0001.JPG

Haha.. nice use of forced perspective in that photo.

In reality though, they are very similar in size. The Taurus is a bit taller.

Height:
Taurus: 60.7"
Marauder: 58.9"

Length:
Taurus: 202.9"
Marauder: 212"

Width (w/o mirrors):
Taurus: 76.2"
Marauder: 78.2"

babbage
07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
No I didn't...I was just listing things that the car doesn't have that I don't have to worry about breaking. I don't think PI heads break down more than NPI.

No, the one in your pic is a faux convertible. Mine's a landau...like this:

...only not brown. ( :banned: )

Post up a picture, lets see it! I'm sure its fine.

RF Overlord
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Should have gotten one of these as a Daily Driver .....Charlie, while I'm sure that's an awesome car, I have 2 issues with it:

1) Probably impossible for a shadetree mechanic to work on, and if I can't work on my cars, I get cranky. (OK, Gordon...cranky-ER :rolleyes: )

2. DOHC...twin-turbo...DI. Those 3 things add up to a motor that will likely be ludicrously expensive to fix/maintain.

Haggis
07-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Charlie, while I'm sure that's an awesome car, I have 2 issues with it:

1) Probably impossible for a shadetree mechanic to work on, and if I can't work on my cars, I get cranky. (OK, Gordon...cranky-ER :rolleyes: )

2. DOHC...twin-turbo...DI. Those 3 things add up to a motor that will likely be ludicrously expensive to fix/maintain.

Who loves ya Bob...:D

PM sent days ago....:(

Ken
07-21-2012, 10:37 AM
^^^^ Honestly....I prolly would get another Marauder as a DD. In fact I have begun to fantasize about doing just that!;)Found one locally, was cheap enough, that after about $1500 worth of repairs, ball joints, alignment, ac accumulator, plugs, COPs, fog light, l/r door lock accuator, LCM repair, EATC repair, new console insert/ armrest, oil change, battery. I've got a decent DD.

At least you don't have to worry about finding a prime parking spot.

Nicks and dents who cares.....just adds characterExactly, it was beat up enough that I don't worry about it.