PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for on CVPI's.

guspech750
07-25-2012, 04:31 PM
My friend/neighbor is looking into buying a CVPI for his DD since his Hyundai's motor took a major poop.

Any certain years better than others?
Any typical issues that CVPI's have?
Any other good info you may have, please share.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Spectragod
07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
My friend/neighbor is looking into buying a CVPI for his DD since his Hyundai's motor took a major poop.

Any certain years better than others?
Any typical issues that CVPI's have?
Any other good info you may have, please share.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

It would depend on the year of the car your looking to buy, i.e. how much does your friend have to spend?

03 has soft axles, most got replaced, I have seen this on some of our 04' squads.

Most will have holes from equipment, be wary of ones that don't, or low mile cars, they are generally "problem children".

05' first year for DBW and first year for 31 spline axles

09' new window switches and a few other changes (decontenting)

I would probably look of an 01' or 02, less desirable i.e. cheaper, old frame type and steering box instead of a rack and pinion.

These cars are built to last, some maintenance and they will run forever

Guittard22
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
03 they started to roll the lips on the inner part of the wheel wells so water would not get stuck in there as much to rust the wheels out as fast .

guspech750
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
It would depend on the year of the car your looking to buy, i.e. how much does your friend have to spend?

03 has soft axles, most got replaced, I have seen this on some of our 04' squads.

Most will have holes from equipment, be wary of ones that don't, or low mile cars, they are generally "problem children".

05' first year for DBW and first year for 31 spline axles

09' new window switches and a few other changes (decontenting)

I would probably look of an 01' or 02, less desirable i.e. cheaper, old frame type and steering box instead of a rack and pinion.

These cars are built to last, some maintenance and they will run forever

Sorry. He is looking for an 2002 and up. About $2,000 to $5,000.

Sent from my iPhone

RF Overlord
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
PIs have an oil cooler that tends to leak over time. Problem is with the o-rings in the hose connections.

Check the area between the trunk and the fuel tank. Careless upfitters tend to mount equipment in the trunk with sheet-metal screws and have been known to puncture the tank.

Also be aware that unless decommissioned carefully, many ex-cop cars have intermittent electrical issues that can be a nightmare to track.

Mr. Man
07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Check the interiors closely for sugar ants that may have moved in to eat all the donut leavins :D

guspech750
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Check the interiors closely for sugar ants that may have moved in to eat all the donut leavins :D

:lol:

Good one.

Sent from my iPhone

LOWBUCKMM
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
When I was looking for a Vic dd I was looking for a 04 cause it's befor the drive by wire. And it has the better steering. 03 are about the same but, Have the softer axels. I'm sure they would have been replaced my now But, you never know.

DOOM
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I had an 01 CVPI for 7 years!!!

Best damn car I ever owned!

I put over 240,000 miles on it before I fell asleep behind the wheel and totaled it! :bigcry:

Only issue yo will have with the 02 & under CVPI's is the plastic upper intakes that tend to crack!

03's are the first year they started using the all aluminum motors.

I now have an 05 CVPI for over 2 years strong with no issues except the LCM!

chazman
07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
03 or newer is best bet

EMAS
07-25-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd say not to look for a P71, Civilian models that usually have lower miles can be had for a similar price. No holes in the nicer interior or the exterior that needs to be repainted and it is a nicer ride for a daily driver.

As an example I bought my wife a 02 GM with 74K, leather, nice Wedgwood Blue paint, and aluminum wheels for $4500 for her DD a few months ago. A P71 of that age seems to run around $4000 and has at least 100K miles on it around here. Sure it doesn't have the performance of a P71 but it is a more comfortable DD.

REAL4WD
07-26-2012, 02:49 AM
05' first year for 31 spline axles

this is true but not all 05s got 31 spline axles. only after a certain build date did they get them. if you want 31 spline axles better to get 06+ for guaranteed 31 spline axles.

Only issue yo will have with the 02 & under CVPI's is the plastic upper intakes that tend to crack!

03's are the first year they started using the all aluminum motors.

are you talking about the coolant crossover on the front of the intake? Most intakes with plastic crossovers should have been replaced with the new aluminum crossover style by now. but the rear port for the heater is still a weakness on the intake manifold since it is still plastic.

Spectragod
07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
this is true but not all 05s got 31 spline axles. only after a certain build date did they get them. if you want 31 spline axles better to get 06+ for guaranteed 31 spline axles.

are you talking about the coolant crossover on the front of the intake? Most intakes with plastic crossovers should have been replaced with the new aluminum crossover style by now. but the rear port for the heater is still a weakness on the intake manifold since it is still plastic.

Uhhh, all the 05's in the fleet I maintain have 31 spline axles, at least the ones that I have had to change axle seals in.

IIRC, starting in 03' all Vics had an aluminum crossover tube on the intake, maybe is was 04', I would have to dig out paperwork to verify that, but yes, the rear port is plastic.

Timw286
07-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Questionable stains in the back seat!:eek:

REAL4WD
07-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Uhhh, all the 05's in the fleet I maintain have 31 spline axles, at least the ones that I have had to change axle seals in.

IIRC, starting in 03' all Vics had an aluminum crossover tube on the intake, maybe is was 04', I would have to dig out paperwork to verify that, but yes, the rear port is plastic.

on CVN many 05 P71s have 28 spline axles. my buddy's 05 P71 from California Highway Patrol has 28 spline axles.

yjmud
07-27-2012, 06:06 AM
I to have found the 28 spline 05 06 and up good to go

Roadwarrior
07-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Questionable stains in the back seat!:eek:

You may want to avoid former K-9 CVPI's for the aforementioned reason as well as not being able to getting rid of the smell of a dog kennel. :bigcry: :puke: If you can find a former Federal gov't, state or local agency P71 CV, they are usually well equipped (street appearance package), low to medium miles & maintained regularly, but the price may be a little more $$ than what your friend had in mind. :agree: with what others had said about model years to get.

NATEHAWK
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a 01 CVPI she runs like a champ...I replaced the upper intake so I wouldn't have the plastic cross over crack on me.. After that just your routine stuff like plugs, filter, oil, and I replaced the oil cooler hose b/c it leaked...All relatively cheap items...I've had it for about 2 years now still running strong with 181,000 its my daily driver while the MM sits in the Garage and comes out to play on nice days maybe twice a month if that.

RF Overlord
07-27-2012, 03:54 PM
What intake did you use, NATEHAWK? My recently-acquired 2000 MGM has the plastic one...no leaks yet (knocks on wood) but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

FrankJAG
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
http://adtr.net/
Has the Ford Racing kit that a few folks on CVN have used successfully.
I'd stay away from the Dorman, allot of complaints about it.

Spectragod
07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
on CVN many 05 P71s have 28 spline axles. my buddy's 05 P71 from California Highway Patrol has 28 spline axles.

If your buying one used from a PD, they could have switched out the rear end for any variety of reasons with that of one from an earlier car, we do actually hoard some parts "just in case". If that's what it take to get the car back on the road as inexpensive as possible.

I can say all the 05's that we bought new, and have serviced from day 1, all have 31 spline axles in them. That's not to say that if the rear end in an 08 blows up this weekend that we wouldn't put the spare assembly from an 04' in it.

05' was supposedly the start of 31 spline axles in these cars, no real idea why there is a debate about it. personally, I'd look for a Grand marquis for the same money, and not beat to hell and back.

UncleLar
07-27-2012, 08:33 PM
He's 2 months too late,my 2002 Tootsie Roll was a real nice car.
Tell him to look for a 2001 or later with the PI (power improved motor) and check the intake manifold and make sure the front of the manifold is aluminum and NOT plastic,they had tons of trouble with the older style intake manifolds.
That said 2004's are probably the primo year,2005 went to fly by wire throttle body and there's a lot of bickering about throttle feel on them.
Check Obenauf Auctions as they have good online and live auctions for some nice P71's a lot.And they're pretty honest about insisting the sellers list known defects or repairs needed in stuff they sell.

05RetP71
08-15-2012, 07:59 PM
If your buying one used from a PD, they could have switched out the rear end for any variety of reasons with that of one from an earlier car, we do actually hoard some parts "just in case". If that's what it take to get the car back on the road as inexpensive as possible.

I can say all the 05's that we bought new, and have serviced from day 1, all have 31 spline axles in them. That's not to say that if the rear end in an 08 blows up this weekend that we wouldn't put the spare assembly from an 04' in it.

05' was supposedly the start of 31 spline axles in these cars, no real idea why there is a debate about it. personally, I'd look for a Grand marquis for the same money, and not beat to hell and back.

I have an 05 and it's 28 spline axles. It's build date is January 18,2005. The early 05's have 28 spline and the late 05's (I think June) have 31 spline. Not all 2005 model CVPI's have 31 spline axles

Chris

RoyLPita
08-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I have access to what options are available on Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles from 1999 and up. PM me.