PDA

View Full Version : What are the brightest taillight bulbs

FW_Linc/Merc
08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Went to the parts store which was a waste of time. I am looking to upgrade my taillight bulbs and backup lights since I have nightshaded the taillights.

Any suggestions? There are too many options on the WEB and I do not feel like trial and error.

slickster
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Go to vleds page for LEDs. Last time I checked and they where out of our type or go to superbrightleds. If you want led turn lights you'll have to wire in Resistors

RF Overlord
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
If you don't want LEDs, then your only choice is the 3457 (3456 for the back-ups). They're about 25% brighter. Be advised that the 3457 is only brighter on the brake/turn side, not on the tail side.

FW_Linc/Merc
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Are there no good LED turn signal bulbs yet?

FW_Linc/Merc
08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
If you don't want LEDs, then your only choice is the 3457 (3456 for the back-ups). They're about 25% brighter. Be advised that the 3457 is only brighter on the brake/turn side, not on the tail side.

3157's Sylvania silverstars claim 30% brighter than stock so them or 3457 are the only non-LED's I have found.

slickster
08-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Silverstars are good to I have them for now. Don't forget about the front side curtsy turn light

fastblackmerc
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Went to the parts store which was a waste of time. I am looking to upgrade my taillight bulbs and backup lights since I have nightshaded the taillights.

Any suggestions? There are too many options on the WEB and I do not feel like trial and error.

3watt bulbs are available...... close to $20.00 each.

screamn
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
3watt bulbs are available...... close to $20.00 each.

Just wondering if those 3 watts are installed in the tail/brake lights and applying the brakes for long periods, will it melt or damage the lens????

Do they get really hot?

And NO she didn't say it!!!

Embassy
08-08-2012, 10:30 AM

That is what I am using.

fastblackmerc
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Just wondering if those 3 watts are installed in the tail/brake lights and applying the brakes for long periods, will it melt or damage the lens????

Do they get really hot?

And NO she didn't say it!!!

Good questions.

Although I haven't tried any of these 3watt bulbs, I'd imagine that there would be no damage since LEDs always run cooler.

Rule of thumb.... 85% of the energy applied to an incandescent bulb is wasted as heat.... the exact opposite for LEDs.

screamn
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I read you.

Guess, I'll be converting to LEDs. Best bang......light..... for the buck and no wasted energy from heat!

FW_Linc/Merc
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
After more research on the LED the life span is not living up to the claims yet. I have found 3457 silverstars for the turn signals and 3456's for the backups. I decided to go with chrome amber bulbs for the front turnsignals since they are not tinted. Good thread thanks for all the inputs. I feel better with my decisions.

ctrlraven
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Did you check out the Silverstar 3157A bulb for the front turn signal?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dvKneoi2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LED lifespan is directly related to the quality of product. LEDs typical lifespan is about 30,000 or more hours, reduced if operated at a higher temperature than specified. Incandescent bulbs have a typical life of 1,000 hours.

There are times when, even high quality, LED products can last as little as a year. The problem with these can be attributed to a large number of things, here are a few main causes:

Heatsink - Designing a heatsink is a fine science. Some heatsinks do not have the correct amount of surface area, some do not take into consideration about the gaps between fins to enable air flow. Some have horizontal fins, when they are positioned vertically. The main design fault with the latter, being that heat rises. Rather than dispersing the heat away from the bulb, the heat coming from the lower fins heat the upper fins even more.

Capacitors - Most, standard, electronic capacitors are made from a plastic. These have an average life time of around 1 year, if used regularly. Capacitors are part of the circuit in every LED driver. Now a number of companies are making their capacitors from ceramics, giving them a much longer life expectancy.

Environment - LEDs are usually designed to work in our country, and in our climate. If they are used in a hot country, or enclosed area, the heat around them can easily surpass the heat they were designed to withstand, shortening their life time.

To get LEDs to their full potential, these factors, among other considerations, must be taken into account.

DOOM
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Do they still make the 3157A's?

RF Overlord
08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I thought Sylvania discontinued those a couple of years ago. There may be some NOS left on e-Bay or Amazon, but last I saw they were boku bux.

ChasJr
08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Would these work and can you get brighter? For Rear Backup

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hpx31afi30341.html

ctrlraven
08-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Do they still make the 3157A's?
Nope.

Yeah, I thought Sylvania discontinued those a couple of years ago. There may be some NOS left on e-Bay or Amazon, but last I saw they were boku bux.
Most I have seen are $30 a pair now

Would these work and can you get brighter? For Rear Backup

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hpx31afi30341.html

Reverse lights are 3156, they would work but I don't know how much they will throw out as there are more LEDS firing to the side and not many firing towards the lens.