PDA

View Full Version : mirror black paint vs OEM orange peel

Geo
08-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I've recently painted with black Glasurit90 waterborne paint with special attention for the removal of orange peel (cut polishing) prior to delivery, I wonder how many of you here have done so.

if so, and years go by, have any of you had insurance claims denied for the extra polishing required for the orange peel removal as the paint would have been X number years old (since orange peel is part of the OEM specification).

also, there is usually graying/hazing or other imperfections that can arise from less-than-perfect polishing preperation in order to remove the orange peel (particularly around the wheel wells and other hard-to-reach trim. I presume this is the case as I am dealing with this right now and presume the paint isn't actually damaged.

boatmangc
08-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Insurance policies have to be written very specifically describing agreed or declared value as opposed to book value, most policies wouldn't pay for color sanding or polishing.
They might work with you if you have receipts for the extra time when you painted it, if you did it on your own, probably not.

Fosters
08-12-2012, 02:29 PM
. .

boatmangc
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
What's this orange peel you talk of, I have never heard of it. :lol:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2122_43826084825_3966_n.jpg

Has anyone ever mentioned Botox?
Just sayin.

Geo
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Insurance policies have to be written very specifically describing agreed or declared value as opposed to book value, most policies wouldn't pay for color sanding or polishing.
They might work with you if you have receipts for the extra time when you painted it, if you did it on your own, probably not.

yes, unless it can be proven that the vehicle had previous cut polishing to remove orange peel, the can acknowledge that as a precedent. The phrase, "I'd like the vehicle to be returned to it's prior-to-date-of-loss condition" is key.

The big question is how old does such a paint job need to be before the insurance company may say that it's depreciated. I'm guessing ~5 years.

Geo
08-13-2012, 01:20 PM
What's this orange peel you talk of, I have never heard of it. :lol:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2122_43826084825_3966_n.jpg

great pic of the peel!