PDA

View Full Version : Any Subi owners?

Cheeseheadbob
08-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Hey folks, I am thinking seriously about adding a Subaru WRX Sti to the stable. As with all research, you find all sorts of opinion, pro and con. After doing my homework, I want to pull the trigger. Does anyone here have any experience with them? And yes, I researched the Mitsu Evo.... Thanks. -Bob :burnout:

Odinson
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Resale is very good. Bottoms out at about 5k no matter what. 4wd thing I suspect.

I have a 2001 Forester and so far it's been a giant pain in the ass. (Especially the wallet cheek) I inherited it with 71k on the clock now there is 84k.

Turns out the 2.4 boxers in 98-2003? or so had a REALLY bad head gasket design. Apparently 3 different versions of the head gaskets have existed and the car still had the original. Scattered stories of recal type replacement for free. Eventually the dealer figured this out but the process leading up to that was onerous.

misfire and check engine on cylinder 4. -> I Replaced wires and plugs and coil.
Oil on outside of sparkplug boots -> I ignored (first real clue)
knock sensor fails -> hmmmmm. I replaced, grumbling.
Overheating problems. -> Local mechanic replaced thermostat and hoses.
More overheating problems, loosing coolant -> head gasket diagnosis from dealer.

$2400 to remove the heads (which are disassembled in the process to remove) and sent them of to pressure test and hot tank. Nope heads are fine, it was the gaskets.

I was ready to throw the whole damn car out at 81k, but the dealer (who saved my marauder) convinced me that this was their main, specific problem and that it would last another 100k after this was done. Been about 4k since and so far so good. I think MOST of the above problems were misdiagnosis of the real deal, the blown gaskets.

BTW I do beat on cars as you might imagine. Usually engines need mild repairs 5k into my ownership as I blow borderline items. Whatever was about to go anyway.

Moral is, lots of gottyas that are unique to subaru engines. You really need a SUBARU mechanic to have a clue.

Oh and it's hates hot weather in general over 100 degrees in traffic you may shut the A/C off to play it safe.

Three good things.
It's a great hauler. I can buy ->whatever<- at home depot and between the roof rack, the hatch, the fold down seats I can get it home at 30mph.
It's a rocket sled in the snow. You really don't need to slow down much (if you leave room to stop) Laps everything.
Good car for a novice driver. Small size for parking. Less low speed driving dynamics to remember. It's my wife's car now.

stevesoasis
08-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I have a 2007 impreza special edition wagon. Great car!! Had it over a year now and the only thing ive had to do is replace a burnt out tail light bulb. The car has 110,000 kms (canada). I installed a cat-back exhaust with magnaflow muffler, tinted windows. The car is unreal in the snow on just all season tires. Im actually going to put it up for sale soon because i have a company vehicle i use as a daily driver. The car still car approx 8 months left on a bumper to bumper warranty from subaru. Who ever buys this car is gonna get a very reliable car.

Cheeseheadbob
08-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your in depth report! I know there are some idiosyncrasies with the 2.5 l turbo, especially with the rings. I called a very well known and respected Subaru mod shop and talked with the head wrench. He laid it out for me and said there are a lot of problems you can avoid with close monitoring of systems. I guess I will be going back to the Joe Walsh school of gauges for this car. :D

I am getting bored with the Cadillac and don't want to sink 60K into a V... just yet, so I thought this would be a great alternative until I am ready to get the V wagon.
Resale is very good. Bottoms out at about 5k no matter what. 4wd thing I suspect.

I have a 2001 Forester and so far it's been a giant pain in the ass. (Especially the wallet cheek) I inherited it with 71k on the clock now there is 84k.

Turns out the 2.4 boxers in 98-2003? or so had a REALLY bad head gasket design. Apparently 3 different versions of the head gaskets have existed and the car still had the original. Scattered stories of recal type replacement for free. Eventually the dealer figured this out but the process leading up to that was onerous.

misfire and check engine on cylinder 4. -> I Replaced wires and plugs and coil.
Oil on outside of sparkplug boots -> I ignored (first real clue)
knock sensor fails -> hmmmmm. I replaced, grumbling.
Overheating problems. -> Local mechanic replaced thermostat and hoses.
More overheating problems, loosing coolant -> head gasket diagnosis from dealer.

$2400 to remove the heads (which are disassembled in the process to remove) and sent them of to pressure test and hot tank. Nope heads are fine, it was the gaskets.

I was ready to throw the whole damn car out at 81k, but the dealer (who saved my marauder) convinced me that this was their main, specific problem and that it would last another 100k after this was done. Been about 4k since and so far so good. I think MOST of the above problems were misdiagnosis of the real deal, the blown gaskets.

BTW I do beat on cars as you might imagine. Usually engines need mild repairs 5k into my ownership as I blow borderline items. Whatever was about to go anyway.

Moral is, lots of gottyas that are unique to subaru engines. You really need a SUBARU mechanic to have a clue.

Oh and it's hates hot weather in general over 100 degrees in traffic you may shut the A/C off to play it safe.

Three good things.
It's a great hauler. I can buy ->whatever<- at home depot and between the roof rack, the hatch, the fold down seats I can get it home at 30mph.
It's a rocket sled in the snow. You really don't need to slow down much (if you leave room to stop) Laps everything.
Good car for a novice driver. Small size for parking. Less low speed driving dynamics to remember. It's my wife's car now.

ImpalaSlayer
08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
sti's are awesome cars Bob. several friends have had wrx's with no major problems that i know of.

Odinson
08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
No problem. Been an interesting year with that car. Was neglected somewhat. BTW plasti-dipped the bumpers and it looks sweet.

Not sure if you still like the sleepers but there are some mostly unknown turbo foresters out there for reasonable prices. Beef one of them up and let the good times roll.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=forester+turbo&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/year-forester-xt-should-i-buy-88332/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSdchWmri4

Mr. Man
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
My Mom has an Outback and loves it. Think it might be a 6 banger. Another friend has a pet sitting service and is on her third on in 10 years. She puts about 100K on them and trades them in. Says she couldn't see driving anything else around here especially in the Winter. She goes for the 4 bangers no turbo.

Subaru's also seem to be a requirement if you live in New England, zillions of them up there. You thinking of a move North?

boatmangc
08-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I had an 06 STI
Fun car, really brings out the teenager in you, I fou d I couldn't drive it slow, it got to where if a LEO saw me coming the other way they would flash their blues and shake their finger at me.
I got rid of it before I went to jail
Plus IMHO it is a great car for a 20 something, long road trip over 3 hours and you really start figuring out just how loud and uncomfortable it is.

slickster
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
there good cars. great resale value but its one car you just have to pay the price for

sailsmen
08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Only get one w/ an OEM extend warr sand have a blast. Otherwise take a pass. My exp Turbo doubles the miles on motor.

GAMike
08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Recent car rag reviews of the WRX, have said they would find it hard to sink the additional 6-9k in for an STI........ I have driven a few, and found them to be a kick off the line, and the modded one I drove would shred just about anything short of a GT-R handling wise. The ride can be punishing however. Coming out of a plush Caddy that will be something to consider:beer::burnout:

babbage
08-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Had a Forrester 5 speed sport (good) and a Black WRX Wagon, was slow off the line but once the tach is over 3K the power comes on good.

Loved my black WRX Wagon, but I got rid of it and started in on panthers!
Clutch too can be the weak point if you launch it a lot and drive it hard.