PDA

View Full Version : 01 Suburban code P0332

SID210SA
08-31-2012, 05:19 AM
My Mom was picking us up from the airport in our Burb when she wacked a yellow pole in the cell phone waiting lot.....dented the fender on the passenger side...but no other damage.

While I was taking it to the bodyshop to get repaired I got a check engine light on the dash. 2 days later when I picked up the truck I took it to Auto Zone to have the code read. Came up with a P0332 code and that came up with a few possibilities:

1. Knock sensor defective

2. Check conector and wiring to sensor (where might that be?)

3. Engine mechanical condition-knock or rattle in engine

4. Low fuel Pressure

The last time I had the truck serviced they told me I should probably replace my fuel pump.....sometimes the truck starts right up some times it takes a couple of turns of the key before it will fire up. It has done that since we bought the truck 3 years ago.

My question is, what is the least inexpensive and easiest route to try first?

Thanks,

Mike

Curless
08-31-2012, 05:32 AM
If you are wondering about your fuel pump, have the pressure checked. Check key on engine off...and watch it, you don't want it to drop after the pump stops...also check running pressure while driving, there are specs for both. As for the knock sensors they are located under the intake...I assume this has a 5.3 / 6.0 in it?

SID210SA
08-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Yes...it is a 5.3 1500 LS

stevengerard
08-31-2012, 06:23 AM
i just had the knock sensor code on my 04 too, I reset it and it has been fine. We have an issue with startups as well. If the tank is 1/4 full or less the car will not start. I don't know if the gas gae isn't reading correctly anymore or like you I suspect a fuel pump issue. We have owned ours since new it has 110k miles

fastblackmerc
08-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Cheapest thing to do it reset it and see if it comes back.

SID210SA
08-31-2012, 08:58 AM
i just had the knock sensor code on my 04 too, I reset it and it has been fine. We have an issue with startups as well. If the tank is 1/4 full or less the car will not start. I don't know if the gas gae isn't reading correctly anymore or like you I suspect a fuel pump issue. We have owned ours since new it has 110k miles

We bought ours at 87K and now has 124K.

SID210SA
08-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Cheapest thing to do it reset it and see if it comes back.

I will try that....I have noticed no difference in driving it.....none at all.

SID210SA
09-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys,

I diconnnected the battery and ran some errands.....came back, chaged out the headlight bulbs to silverstars, reconnected the battery and no more check engine light.....I think it might have been that I put gas in it the day before and prolly didnt close the lid properly. I thought it would have gone out on its own but it didnt.

Mike

stevengerard
09-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I just replaced the waterpump on Friday, guess that is common as well. made by daewo it leaks at the seams. UGH

gdsqdcr
09-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I just did both knock sensors on my 04 Seirra with the 5.3. If you replace them, drop a bead of RTV around them to help keep the moisture and crap out of them.

I bought her with 50K, and 5 years later she is at 146K miles.

SID210SA
09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I just replaced the waterpump on Friday, guess that is common as well. made by daewo it leaks at the seams. UGH

mine did too....found out it came with the wrong type of gaskets...they were paper like

RacerTex
09-10-2012, 04:58 PM
This info is from a professional diagnostic program. Hope it helps.

Let me know if you need more info.

DTC P0327 OR P0332: KNOCK SENSOR CIRCUIT
NOTE:
For circuit reference, see WIRING DIAGRAMS article.

Description
Knock Sensors (KS) produce an AC signal under all operating conditions. PCM calculates average voltage range of each KS signal. If KS system is operating properly, PCM should monitor KS voltage varying to more than and less than a calculated average voltage. If PCM detects KS signal staying within calculated average range, DTC will set. DTC P0327 refers to front knock sensor. DTC P0332 refers to rear knock sensor.
Code Enable Criteria
· DTCs P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P1114, P1115, P1121, P1122 or P1258 are not set.
· Minimum noise level must be learned which requires Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) to be greater than 140°F (60°C) and engine speed to be 475-975 RPM.
· Engine speed is 1500-3000 RPM.
· Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) is less than 49 kPa.
· ECT is greater than 140°F (60°C).
· Throttle Position (TP) sensor angle is greater than zero percent.
· Engine has been running a minimum of 10 seconds.
· Ignition voltage is 10 volts or more.
DTC will set when previous conditions are met and PCM detects knock sensor signal is less than the expected amount for a minimum of 9 seconds.
Diagnostic Procedures
1. Perform powertrain diagnostic system check. See POWERTRAIN DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK under SELF-DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. After performing powertrain diagnostic system check, go to next step.
2. If any abnormal engine mechanical noises can be heard, repair as necessary before proceeding with this test. To proceed with test, use scan tool to review FREEZE FRAME/FAILURE RECORDS data for this DTC and observe parameters. Turn ignition off for 30 seconds. Start engine and operate vehicle within conditions required for running the DTC as specified in CODE ENABLE CRITERIA , or as close to conditions noted in FREEZE FRAME/FAILURE RECORDS data as possible. Using scan tool, select DTC, SPECIFIC DTC, then enter P0327 or P0332. If scan tool displays DTC P0327 or P0332 FAILED THIS IGN, go to next step. If scan tool does not display DTC P0327 or P0332 FAILED THIS IGN, see DIAGNOSTIC AIDS .
3. Remove intake manifold sight shield. Disconnect KS jumper harness connector, located on left side of intake manifold. Using DVOM, measure resistance between KS and engine block. Resistance should be 93,000-107,000 ohms. If resistance is as specified, go to next step. If resistance is not as specified, go to step 6 .
4. Turn ignition off. Connect DVOM between KS and ground. Set DVOM on AC voltage scale. Tap on engine block near area of KS while observing DVOM. If any signal is present, go to next step. If signal is not present, go to step 7 (file:///C:/Users/JAM/AppData/Local/Temp/mric_tmp/tempa.htm#S1682188692200109060 0000#S16821886922001090600000) .
5. Disconnect Blue 80-pin PCM harness connector C1. PCM is located in left front corner of engine compartment, near radiator. See Fig. 2 . Check KS signal circuit for open, high resistance, short to voltage or short to ground between KS harness connector and Blue 80-pin PCM harness connector C1 terminal No. 51 (Dark Blue wire DTC P0327) or terminal No. 11 (Light Blue wire DTC P0332). See Fig. 3 . Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If no problem is found, go to step 9 .
6. Remove intake manifold. See 4.8L, 5.3L & 6.0L - TRUCKS article in ENGINES. Check KS signal circuit for open, high resistance or short to ground between KS jumper harness connector (located at back of intake manifold) and KS connector (Dark Blue wire DTC P0327; or Light Blue wire DTC P0332). Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If no problem is found, go to next step.
7. Check for poor connection at appropriate KS connector. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If no problem is found, go to next step.
8. Replace KS. After repair, go to step 12 .
9. Check for poor connection at KS jumper harness connector (located at back of intake manifold). Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If no problem is found, go to next step.
10. Check for poor connection at PCM harness connector C1. Repair as necessary. After repair, go to step 12 . If no problem is found, go to next step.
11. Replace and program PCM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article. After repair, go to next step.
12. Using scan tool, clear DTCs. Turn ignition off for 30 seconds. Start engine. Operate vehicle within conditions for running the DTC as specified in CODE ENABLE CRITERIA , If DTC does not reset, go to next step. If DTC resets, go to step 2 .
13. Using scan tool, check for any other DTCs that are present. If no other DTCs are present, repair is complete. If any other DTCs are present, repair DTCs as necessary. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS .
Diagnostic Aids
Check KS for proper connection. A loose or over-torqued KS can cause DTC to set. If DTCs P0327 and P0332 are set at same time, check for poor connection at KS jumper harness connector (located at back of intake manifold). If KS is dropped, it must be replaced.