PDA

View Full Version : passenger side brake/turn signal dont work

silversnake
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
need help... my MM directional blinker started blinking rapidly today, and from past experience with my 03 GM i thought to replace my rear bulbs since the front passenger blink(rapidly) but that wasnt the issues because the replacement bulbs also didnt blink.

Note:passenger side rear parking lamp works when turned on but does not light up when brake pedal is depressed orright turn blinker... also may i add that driver side turn/brake lights work just fine.

fastblackmerc
09-04-2012, 09:14 PM
need help... my MM directional blinker started blinking rapidly today, and from past experience with my 03 GM i thought to replace my rear bulbs since the front passenger blink(rapidly) but that wasnt the issues because the replacement bulbs also didnt blink.

Note:passenger side rear parking lamp works when turned on but does not light up when brake pedal is depressed orright turn blinker... also may i add that driver side turn/brake lights work just fine.

The bulbs blink fast because the LCM senses there is less resistance in the circuit. You have one or more bulbs out in the front or rear. Might be a good time to replace them all.

EMAS
09-05-2012, 12:12 AM
On my car I found out that at some point the wires to the taillight had been pinched between the mounting stud and the body. Mine reared it's head due to the fact that the fuse blew. So I'd start with inspecting the wiring back there, but it could be anywhere between there and the TS switch. Make sure that none of the terminals have backed out of their connector. Also check the connections in the socket. For testing be sure to use an incandescent test light and not a volt meter. A modern volt meter does not load the circuit sufficiently. That can lead to false diagnosis if the circuit is marginal and can pass a few milliamps but not enough amperage to light a bulb.

silversnake
09-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the response... Today I am going to start with the TS switch and work my way to the taillight because I suspect the problem is not with the bulbs but I'll also replace the front cornering lamps jus eliminate the bulbs being bad.

Spectragod
09-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the response... Today I am going to start with the TS switch and work my way to the taillight because I suspect the problem is not with the bulbs but I'll also replace the front cornering lamps jus eliminate the bulbs being bad.

It seems it would be easier to verify if the bulbs were working than taking the column apart?:confused:

silversnake
09-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Sorry I'm a noob at vehicle electric system but you guys are saying that if the first cornering lights are bad then that would cause my brake/turn lights to not pulse? I actually at work and getting everyone input before I get home and destroy my car searching for this problem

Krytin
09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Yeah, replace any bulbs that don't light up when they are supossed to and see if that fixes it before you do anything else.

EMAS
09-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah, replace any bulbs that don't light up when they are supossed to and see if that fixes it before you do anything else.

He already replaced the bulb that wasn't working. Of course that may have been with a NEW bulb or one that Never Even Worked, so swapping the known good one from the other side would be a good idea.

I'd start at the back and work forward since the wiring is more accessible there. Once that is done make a note of the color and then try and find it in the kick panel area where the rear lighting harness connects to the dash harness. In the middle is the next best place to go since you cut the circuit more or less in half. If you've got power there then go to the back of the car and if you don't go to the switch.

silversnake
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Ok here is what I did so far. I replaced the rear bulbs with new ones and nothing changed. The front corner lamps works fine besides blinking rapidly but the rear light still only lights up when I turn when I turn on the marking lamps and it stay on. It does not pulse with turn signal or when brakes are depressed

SID210SA
09-05-2012, 09:05 AM
never mind....lol

silversnake
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Update status: problem solved. It turned out to be a loose connector in the kick panel