PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Hospitals!

jabird56
09-12-2012, 07:53 AM
We went out for dinner with friends last night to have fun and to discuss logistics for a camping this weekend up around York PA. I was basically done with my main course and went to take a first taste of my second mug of beer. The next thing I know the wife is holding my hands/arms above my head and a friend of mine is saying Jay….Jay….Jay.

Apparently, I had some type of seizure where I went out for about 15 seconds, eyes rolled up, and my tongue was pulsating in an out. After six hours at the ER where they ran an extensive battery of tests (including a CAT scan),…everything came back normal.

So I’m home today and have an appointment with my primary doctor later today, and an appointment with a neurologist in November ….very busy doctor.

DOOM
09-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Whoa!!!

Hope everything is ok!

Mr. Man
09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow that's scary. I've had bad reactions to the bill but you may have a winner with yours......:D

fastblackmerc
09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Hope it's not something serious.....

jflave
09-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Good luck hope your ok. :)

Curless
09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Get that checked out, hope everything works out for you.

Papillon
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
My God Jay! That sounds scary!

My mom had a similar event a few years back. She was standing however, eyes rolled back, mouth open, and her head started shaking. She was unresponsive. Her episode lasted just about a minute. She came through but we had already called 911. By the time EMS came, her BP was a bit low but close to her normal. She followed up with her cardiologist and it was determined it was a vasovagal synocpal episode and has (thankfully) never occurred again.

My suggestion would be call the neuro's office every now and then (maybe once a week) and see if they get any cancellations so you can be seen sooner.

Hope everything turns out ok!

kmastl
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Don't know what the laws are in MD but in MO I believe you can't drive for 6 months.

jabird56
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
My suggestion would be call the neuro's office every now and then (maybe once a week) and see if they get any cancellations so you can be seen sooner.

I'm on their call list.

LeoVampire
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
WOW I am sure it was scary for them but man to come out of it and having all that going on must have been pretty scarey for you as well!

I hope all the tests go well and it was just an isolated incident!

vkirkend
09-12-2012, 05:39 PM
We went out for dinner with friends last night to have fun and to discuss logistics for a camping this weekend up around York PA. I was basically done with my main course and went to take a first taste of my second mug of beer. The next thing I know the wife is holding my hands/arms above my head and a friend of mine is saying Jay….Jay….Jay.

Apparently, I had some type of seizure where I went out for about 15 seconds, eyes rolled up, and my tongue was pulsating in an out. After six hours at the ER where they ran an extensive battery of tests (including a CAT scan),…everything came back normal.

So I’m home today and have an appointment with my primary doctor later today, and an appointment with a neurologist in November ….very busy doctor.

I hate them too, until I need one......Hope you get uproblem idetified and corrected.

yjmud
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM
so what kind of beer was it seems like it is very powerful

boatmangc
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
so what kind of beer was it seems like it is very powerful

That's what I was thinking...
Hope everything turns out OK

jabird56
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Well, I went to my primary doctor for a follow-up this afternoon. He was "diplomatically" livid that the ER didn't admit me earlier today, and do an EEG, carotid Doppler, echo-cardiogram, and HIRES MRI testing today. So, all these tests are being scheduled along with a session with a neurologists once these tests are completed.

Oh yeah, I'm restricted from driving until my doctor clears me.

And it was a BUD. :-)

Ms. Denmark
09-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Well, I went to my primary doctor for a follow-up this afternoon. He was "diplomatically" livid that the ER didn't admit me earlier today, and do an EED, carotid doppler, echocardiogram, and HIRES MRI testing today. So, all these tests are being scheduled along with a session with a neurologists once these tests are completed.

Oh yeah, I'm restricted from driving until my doctor clears me.

And it was a BUD. :-) That's more like it! It is shocking that nothing more was done immediately in the ER. Keep us posted Jay!

jabird56
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Had an MRI last Friday, no issues.

Had a Carotid Doppler test and a Echo-Cardiogram done on Monday, no issues.

EEG scheduled for next week.

Follow-on with the doctor on the 1st.

Still at home during the day...

Black_Noise
09-19-2012, 07:32 PM
switch beers?..... hope it gets figured out, thats kinda scary

fastblackmerc
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Hope it all gets figured out for you!

HammerDown
09-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Had an MRI last Friday, no issues.

Had a Carotid Doppler test and a Echo-Cardiogram done on Monday, no issues.

EEG scheduled for next week.

Follow-on with the doctor on the 1st.

Still at home during the day...

Jay, hope things are okay--pulling for ya! Connie & Jack

Bluerauder
09-20-2012, 04:01 AM
Sorry to hear this Jay. :( Thoughts and prayers for you and Denise as you go through the testing procedures. Hope they get it figured out and that it is easily treatable.

Badger
09-20-2012, 04:20 AM
I blame the beer....

Haggis
09-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Just reading this now.....

Wow Jay, glad to hear that you are better and all the test so far are coming back negative.

What restraunt were you eating at? If I was seating at another table I would have ask what you had ordered and ordered something else. Or maybe just got up and left.

MMcactusflower
09-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Those events are very scary to be sure. I saw the results of several when I was in med school...you are quite right to be in close communication with your specialty docs who should be able to determine the problem and set a course for some prompt corrections. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery with no serious recurrence.
You take care.

jabird56
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Had the EEG today, and "unofficially" there were no issues.

A friend of mine who was at dinner with us back on the 11th is starting to have fun with it. He's now saying, yeah you vapor locked on us. He also said don't be surprised if your EEG just flat lines on you. What are friends for?.... Nothing like a retired P.G. County firefighter to keep the humor in it.

So we wait for the follow-up with the doctor next Monday.

Still not driving... Even Denise is having fun now, stating that she's driving "Mr. Daisey" around. Luckily I have 11+ months of sick leave banked.

I need a beer, maybe a ABC run next month.

rayjay
09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
I hope all is well Jay. I can comiserate. The doctors have been chasing angina like symptoms on me for 6+ years and still can not figure it out. Three caridac catherizations, nothing. I am also seeing a neurologist now as the cardiologist gave up. They squeezed me in today before I leave for SC this weekend for 3 weeks. I now get to stay up all night so they can do another (#3) EEG when I'm exhausted. They call me the mystery man. I spent two days in the hospital, had all the tests you mentioned and nothing. Best part is I do not recall 36 hours of it as I was out like a light.... They found -0- :rolleyes: I went to work that night as they found nothing. That episode was after a face plant in my food at the dinner table, unresponsive, three years ago. The angina symptoms continue to worsen and be more frequent.

I hope you have better luck than I've had. It gets old.

jabird56
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, after the doctors reviewing ALL of test they threw my way...everything came back AKO!. I don't even have any plaque in the heart or arteries. So, I'm cleared to start driving again and back to work.

Having close to 3 weeks off from work,....I can see the light at the end of the "retirement" tunnel coming closer. :D

Bluerauder
10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Well, after the doctors reviewing ALL of test they threw my way...everything came back AKO!.

AKO or A-OK. Sure it wasn't AFU??

This is great news Jay. Anything back on the Neurology test? Maybe this was just one of those spontaneous fainting spells that Voula mentioned. I know that you would feel better if they found a "smoking gun" and said "don't do this anymore" and it won't happen again. Sometimes they just can't find the root cause.

jabird56
10-01-2012, 07:16 PM
AKO or A-OK. Sure it wasn't AFU??

This is great news Jay. Anything back on the Neurology test?

Charlie, the EEG came back with no issues,...no evidence of a tumor or stroke. And there were brain waves there (I saw them), and not flat lined as a friend suggested.... :)

Nor was there anything in the MRI (w/contrast) or the CAT Scan.

The same friend who was at dinner with us that night stated apparently you just had a once in a life time "vapor lock".

So back to work tomorrow, and I get to jump in and start writing annual appraisals.

HammerDown
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Charlie, the EEG came back with no issues,...no evidence of a tumor or stroke. And there were brain waves there (I saw them), and not flat lined as a friend suggested.... :)

Nor was there anything in the MRI (w/contrast) or the CAT Scan.

The same friend who was at dinner with us that night stated apparently you just had a once in a life time "vapor lock".

So back to work tomorrow, and I get to jump in and start writing annual appraisals.

Jay!!! that's what we'll hope it was!!!!!! Hope you are feeling good and this is the END of it!!! Keep on feeling better and see you at the next gathering...............

Connie & Jack

Ms. Denmark
10-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Great news Jay!! :beer:

Haggis
10-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Jay if/when the time comes....can I have Denise?

Mrs_Tweeety
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Jay if/when the time comes....can I have Denise?

Oh Gordon, you're my hero! Thanks for wanting me! Right now, with Jay being home & underfoot, and me going to WORK, I'd gladly give HIM to you! His dr. saved his "shiny hiny" by letting him drive and go back to work! Hope all is well with the Marauder family! Hi and happy Fall to all!

Mr. Man
10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Yo JB just thinking off the cuff here do you think you may have had an allergic reaction to something you ate?

jabird56
10-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Yo JB just thinking off the cuff here do you think you may have had an allergic reaction to something you ate?

It may have been; even though, we have done the Tuesday night chicken special at this place for years. The DOC is thinking more along the lines of some type of once in a life time chemical imbalance.

I have only had allergies with pollen over the years.

Mr. Man
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Might want to ask the restaurant manager if they changed the recipe or any of the ingredient suppliers recently as ingredients made in the USA may not be the same as ingredients made in Paraguay.

Haggis
10-03-2012, 04:26 AM
It may have been; even though, we have done the Tuesday night chicken special at this place for years. The DOC is thinking more along the lines of some type of once in a life time chemical imbalance.

I have only had allergies with pollen over the years.

Do you have too legged chicken or foor legged chicken, make big diffrence?

rayjay
10-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I have found as I age that I am allergic things I never had been before. Just a thought as Eric said.