PDA

View Full Version : opening a detail shop need advice

slickster
09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
befor i invest time and money im trying to figure out if i can get atleast 4 cars a day full detail for $75.? everyone else is wanting $120 and thats the most cheap place i found so if i charge a good bit less then ill have to get alot of business but im guessing on the low safe side of 4 cars a day atleast for the first month or two. also my investment will be $1500. what do you guys think can i make $8400 a month i might be paying one guy to help me for $1500 a month?

martyo
09-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Need more budget items filled in: rent, utilities, especially water, phone, insurance, advertising, etc.

sailsmen
09-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Exactly what Marty said. You first need to determine all your hard costs. The Budget I recently drew up included postage costs. Is the Budget 100% accurate, no, but it tells me if I can be profitable. Reality has resulted in the Budget changing several times, but the projected net income is still right on. I was high on some and low on others.

My CPA specializes in fine dining restaurants, not surprising based on where we are. He told that half the business plans that are brought to him will fail just on the numbers they provided in their own plan!:confused:

capt512
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
look at www.autopia.org, they have a professional detailer section that will show some of the expenses, pricing lists, etc.

slickster
09-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm actually going to buy or build a garage in my huge back yard later but for now I'm thinking about just a tent until I make some cash and before the County tells me I need Business License for a building etc. I was thinking at $75 a full detail I just need a few months of basic advertising.

capt512
09-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Be careful with the full detail for 75... really define that, there are lots of really nasty cars out there that come in for details and can tie up your whole day on a "full" detail. 8 hours for $75 turns out not so hot.

RubberCtyRauder
09-15-2012, 11:19 AM
How long do you think it will take to do a detail? even at 2 hours that's $37.50 per hour..not alot for a wage, supplies, utilities, taxes, and you best have some type of liability insurance you never know what might happen manuevering a car around or something. 2 hours seems pretty quick to detail a car to me. There's a reason why small auto shops, independent plumbers, electricians etc charge $65-95 per hour.. I would get more facts and figures first.

slickster
09-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Be careful with the full detail for 75... really define that, there are lots of really nasty cars out there that come in for details and can tie up your whole day on a "full" detail. 8 hours for $75 turns out not so hot.

The steam carpet cleaner I'm getting is freaking amazing and very powerful it cost 1k for a reason. Oxidation is the worst to buff out but it makes alot better difference and I can doit in a hr. I won't be cutting down paint or sanding etc.

CWright
09-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I used to detail cars all the time to make extra money. I would go pick them up to take to my house to clean and return them. Then I figured out I was loosing alot of productivity with all the drive time so I went mobile and doubled my profits in the same amount of time. Most of what I did was wash only and if they wanted waxing I'd schedule another day to spend more time on it. Just washing, cleaning windows, wiping interior, door jams, and vacuuming out with a final touch on the tires with shine. 15 years ago I got 25 per car and they would always tip an extra 5.00. I got to where I could knock 4 cars out in an hours time unless it was a truck or SUV then I was down to 3 per hour. I would pull 2 cars up side by side, clean all the wheels, then go back and wash the cars and use a shammie to dry em down. Then I'd do all the windows and dashes. From there break out the vacuum between the cars and vacuum them out. I could do 2 cars that way in 30 min. What I looked for was hair salons and banks. It would help them out and most of the ones I did had a minimum of 8 cars at each location. They would also let me use a corner of their parking lot to do the work.

This worked for me. Just thougth I'd share the idea with you. The biggest thing I found that worked for me was to make sure they could DEPEND on me being there. I had their business every week for 4 years. The only reason it wouldn't get done would be due to weather or vacation. Other than that the knew I was good to go. Good luck with your venture. I believe you could do very well. :beer:

slickster
09-15-2012, 11:38 AM
For me and one guy doing the same car the worst car should be 3hr max. Now if you have a suburban and took your dogs every that had the craps then that's a different story on price ofcourse.

slickster
09-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow $25 a car one carwash place near me wants $16 and the other $7. But a cheap detail is $120? So an extra $100 to clean carpet and a wax? I guess people don't have or know how to use great equipment

CWright
09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Wow $25 a car one carwash place near me wants $16 and the other $7. But a cheap detail is $120? So an extra $100 to clean carpet and a wax? I guess people don't have or know how to use great equipment

For the people I dealt with they liked the convenience of not having to run their cars through a car wash or taking it somewhere to get it done. That was one less thing on their plate. Car washes have come a long way in 15 years for sure. But the convenience was the selling point for them. I started with a few cars there and then all the other people wanted me to start doing it also. If I had turned it into a full time job I'd been at 75-100 per hour by myself minus driving driving from one location to another. I had such a system in they way I did it I don't know if I could have brought on anyone to help me. I was only sharing on what I actually did do. The only reason I quit doing it was taking the job I'm in now. If I had to go back to it again I know I could make it a good run. I wish you the best!

slickster
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
For the people I dealt with they liked the convenience of not having to run their cars through a car wash or taking it somewhere to get it done. That was one less thing on their plate. Car washes have come a long way in 15 years for sure. But the convenience was the selling point for them. I started with a few cars there and then all the other people wanted me to start doing it also. If I had turned it into a full time job I'd been at 75-100 per hour by myself minus driving driving from one location to another. I had such a system in they way I did it I don't know if I could have brought on anyone to help me. I was only sharing on what I actually did do. The only reason I quit doing it was taking the job I'm in now. If I had to go back to it again I know I could make it a good run. I wish you the best!

How did you get your name out there and how long did it take from when you started to get the ball rolling

CWright
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
How did you get your name out there and how long did it take from when you started to get the ball rolling

I started with people I knew. Then it became word of mouth. I'd start out by going to hair salons and banks. Especially if I knew someone there. Find office places where there's a good many people working and they have limited amounts of time on how long they can be gone from work. It might start with 1 or 2 cars at each spot. I promise if they see you do a good job and they can depend on you to be there they will give you the business. When I started doing it that was the biggest complaint I heard was they couldn't ever find somone they could depend on.

sailsmen
09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
A "Business Plan" solely based on charging 38% less than the competition is likely to fail.

slickster
09-15-2012, 12:21 PM
A "Business Plan" solely based on charging 38% less than the competition is likely to fail.

How would I fail by charging less and the competition charging more stays in business? And turn around time would mostly be quicker. If I can get a dealer contract then I would assume to be set?

sailsmen
09-15-2012, 12:52 PM
"How would I fail by charging less and the competition charging more stays in business? And turn around time would mostly be quicker. If I can get a dealer contract then I would assume to be set?"

I hope I am not reading your post correctly.

Go for it and find out.

To answer your question in the simplest terms - The World ain't perfect and s*^t that cost money happens.

I had a detail business in 1979. Before most people knew what detailing a car meant.

slickster
09-15-2012, 01:03 PM
"How would I fail by charging less and the competition charging more stays in business? And turn around time would mostly be quicker. If I can get a dealer contract then I would assume to be set?"

I hope I am not reading your post correctly.

Go for it and find out.

To answer your question in the simplest terms - The World ain't perfect and s*^t that cost money happens.

I had a detail business in 1979. Before most people knew what detailing a car meant.

Could You please explain your knowledge in detail in detail

Mike M
09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I charge $169.00 for a detail which is too low. We average about 4-5 hours per car. I should be in $250+ range but since my detail shop is part of my quick lube and part of my full repair business I use the detailing and hand wash's as a loss leader.

To do a detail for $75.00 is not even in the realm of reality to me.

Using that type of thinking, why not do it for $15.00 and you will do even more!

If pricing your services way below what you are worth is the secret to success, then why are all the successful shops charging more?

slickster
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I charge $169.00 for a detail which is too low. We average about 4-5 hours per car. I should be in $250+ range but since my detail shop is part of my quick lube and part of my full repair business I use the detailing and hand wash's as a loss leader.

To do a detail for $75.00 is not even in the realm of reality to me.

Using that type of thinking, why not do it for $15.00 and you will do even more!

If pricing your services way below what you are worth is the secret to success, then why are all the successful shops charging more?

Would it help to be cheap at first to get attention then I could go up in price. How many cars you get a day average?

Ms. Denmark
09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Is this a full detail of the engine, exterior and interior? Professionally judged car show ready? If so, $75 is not enough. That takes a lot of time and effort from my personal experience with our local detailer. (who also does work for our local car dealers.)

Spectragod
09-15-2012, 02:35 PM
How would I fail by charging less and the competition charging more stays in business? And turn around time would mostly be quicker. If I can get a dealer contract then I would assume to be set?

It's called "perceived value", if they are paying more, they think that they are getting more. But, you do have to deliver the goods, i.e., a quality detail, better than the "other" guy.

The bottom line, to MAKE money, just because you have a couple $200 days, and then do nothing for the rest of the week, that won't pay the bills, your salary, a helper etc. Also, if you hire someone, you will be paying quarterly taxes for them, workmans comp, social security etc. unless you make them a subcontractor and 1099 them at the end of the year.

The biggest thing to stress is liability insurance, and cover all the details of it with your agent. You will need it working on customers cars.

I personally think the money is in the mobile service, if you are running a legit business, you can deduct all you equipment and supplies, you need accurate records and a CPA.

Let us know how it turns out.

Mike M
09-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Would it help to be cheap at first to get attention then I could go up in price. How many cars you get a day average?

Cheap prices attract cheap people.

Between details and hand washes I guess about 15 a day with the majority being hand washes.

You may want to push the hand wash angle as much as you push the detailing.
For $20-$25.00 you can do a lot of hand washes that can always be up sold to wash/wax job or full detail or clay bar etc. You should attract them in with the hand wash.

People who want their cars detailed are usually more interested in how well the job gets done, price is secondary.

I hate cheap people...they make your life miserable.

capt512
09-15-2012, 02:54 PM
My understanding is starting low is a bad idea, as those people will refer people based on price and you will be in a pickle because the people getting refered will want the cheap price.

You have to decide what you want to do with it, either mobile wash for cheap prices with the option of a quick wax, or quality details that are more expensive but the quality brings them back.

Mac-MerC
09-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I used to detail cars all the time to make extra money. I would go pick them up to take to my house to clean and return them. Then I figured out I was loosing alot of productivity with all the drive time so I went mobile and doubled my profits in the same amount of time. Most of what I did was wash only and if they wanted waxing I'd schedule another day to spend more time on it. Just washing, cleaning windows, wiping interior, door jams, and vacuuming out with a final touch on the tires with shine. 15 years ago I got 25 per car and they would always tip an extra 5.00. I got to where I could knock 4 cars out in an hours time unless it was a truck or SUV then I was down to 3 per hour. I would pull 2 cars up side by side, clean all the wheels, then go back and wash the cars and use a shammie to dry em down. Then I'd do all the windows and dashes. From there break out the vacuum between the cars and vacuum them out. I could do 2 cars that way in 30 min. What I looked for was hair salons and banks. It would help them out and most of the ones I did had a minimum of 8 cars at each location. They would also let me use a corner of their parking lot to do the work.

This worked for me. Just thougth I'd share the idea with you. The biggest thing I found that worked for me was to make sure they could DEPEND on me being there. I had their business every week for 4 years. The only reason it wouldn't get done would be due to weather or vacation. Other than that the knew I was good to go. Good luck with your venture. I believe you could do very well. :beer:

I didn't know this...
Is there anyway u can get mine looking like yours?... Do u still have the skills? I know your an old man and all lol
But I'm dead serious....:)

imorb1994
09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
FWIW details around me:
Cheapest $250
Includes wash, light/quick wax, vacuum, shampoo, windows, door jambs, armor-all or equivalent.
Top dollar $375
Includes the above plus engine detail and an actual good waxing.
The price doesn't sway people away, they are always booked at least a week or 2 out.
Also that gets your car 4+ hrs of attention
trucks and Suv's are usually $25-$50 more depending on size and soil level

ROCOB
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
It's called "perceived value", if they are paying more, they think that they are getting more. But, you do have to deliver the goods, i.e., a quality detail, better than the "other" guy.

The bottom line, to MAKE money, just because you have a couple $200 days, and then do nothing for the rest of the week, that won't pay the bills, your salary, a helper etc. Also, if you hire someone, you will be paying quarterly taxes for them, workmans comp, social security etc. unless you make them a subcontractor and 1099 them at the end of the year.

The biggest thing to stress is liability insurance, and cover all the details of it with your agent. You will need it working on customers cars.

I personally think the money is in the mobile service, if you are running a legit business, you can deduct all you equipment and supplies, you need accurate records and a CPA.

Let us know how it turns out.

^^^^^Well said. 1099s are great, just make sure your staff is aware of the tax implications at the end of the year.

Where I live $100 will get a me a full detail on my marauder: wash, wax, vacuum, shampoo, windows, door jambs, armor-all, engine bay, and trunk.

I told Gary last year when he was here for the shootout and he was impressed with the quality, particularly for the price.

Price varies significantly regionally and even locally. I would expect to pay $250 in Atlanta for the $100 deal I get locally.

boatmangc
09-15-2012, 06:57 PM
You never want to be known as the cheap guy
Better to be the expensive guy that does the BEST job
Just be sure that your skills are up to your pricing.

slickster
09-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Well I am in the capital of sc if that makes a good difference.

slickster
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
FWIW details around me:
Cheapest $250
Includes wash, light/quick wax, vacuum, shampoo, windows, door jambs, armor-all or equivalent.
Top dollar $375
Includes the above plus engine detail and an actual good waxing.
The price doesn't sway people away, they are always booked at least a week or 2 out.
Also that gets your car 4+ hrs of attention
trucks and Suv's are usually $25-$50 more depending on size and soil level

Wow you must be in a huge town full of rich people

imorb1994
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Living less than an hour north of Aspen, does have its downsides

Spectragod
09-16-2012, 04:25 AM

"Rich" is a relevant term, you get what you pay for. I would rather detail 3-4 high end cars a week than 20 piles of junk for a C-note each.

A local shop to me that does higher end cars, Ferrari's, Porsche's, Lambo's, BMW's, and a few other exotics......... $600 and up, that will include detailing the bottom of the car, removing wheels, detailing suspension, rotors.

Quality is the key, provide the quality, the money will follow, trust me on this.

I guess price will be driven based on what your customer's want. I would look on-line and see what some of the "other" detail shops are charging for their services.

Also, price can be based on your experience level, I have seen people quote services before that they were not too familiar with, this leaves the customer with a not so good feeling and generally, bad word of mouth. So, if you are going to provide a service you are not 100% comfortable with, discount that particular service, and be up front with your customer about it.

But in all sincerity, cheap is not the route to go. I would price all services individually, and then make some "packages" that included certain services at a discounted rate of doing them individually, once again, the bottom line is just that, the bottom line, you have to make money.

Cost of supplies is another thing to consider, I am in no way a "detailer", but I probably have 2k+ in cleanup supplies, polishers, vacuums, air dryers etc.. I would love to have a paint depth gauge, but can't justify $1700 for my hobby of cleaning my own junk.

As long as you are anal retentive, you will do good, because even for cheap, peoples expectations are always way higher that you would believe, as I said before, I would list your services individually and what is provided with those services.

I wish you the best and hope you do great at this adventure. :beer:

boatmangc
09-16-2012, 05:12 AM
Since I have a paint thickness gauge I am anal retentive? I thought it was just OCD.

Slickster, study hard and be sure you have the skills to match the tools, there is a ton of good info, videos, write ups etc. on a utopia and autogeek.

When I blew my motor in ATL in 08 the shop that did the swap had my car detailed by the "best" guy in the area, 3 years later I have almost repaired the damage to my finish from a pro!

Good news and reputations travel slow, bad news and reputations spread like wildfire!

CWright
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM
I didn't know this...
Is there anyway u can get mine looking like yours?... Do u still have the skills? I know your an old man and all lol
But I'm dead serious....:)

OLD MAN?????? :P Don't mind at all helping you out.

Slickster. These guys make great points. 15 years ago I was after the repeat customers on a weekly basis. Earlier this year I bought a brand new Black Ford Explorer. 2 weeks later some idiot decided not secure a 1 gallon can of WHITE paint and it fell off the back of his truck exploding all over the highway. Because it happen so fast I had no reaction time and just ran through it. Needless to say I had a huge mess on my vechicle. I took to a local detail shop and they charged me 1185.00 to get it all off. Thank goodness for Insurance. They did a great job and told me if I brought it to them 1-2 times a month they would "RESEAL" paint and keep the wax lasting a long time. I asked how much and they said 110.00 each time. I asked what do you do to it. They said we have a "SPECIAL" soap we use that helps preserve the wax and don't strip it. I have to say I called a little BS due to what I know about detailing cars and how I take care of mine with my own hand washing. But..... most people don't know that and would probably pay that money. I say that to say you can decide the market in what you want to go after. Personally I'd go after the week to week customers to keep steady work. I like the mobile part. Now you might can put a guy you trust in that seat. Have your setup at home to do the full detailing from there get some business from dealerships on their used cars. I know the local shop here charges 300.00 to a dealership to fully detail out the car to get ready to put on the used lot. They stay very busy with this business but after talking with the owner he said it did not happen over night. He picked up more business over time as they saw what kind of job he did. He's been doing this for 28 years. He has a 5 bay shop, 12 employees, and he doesn't do any of the work anymore.

bugsyc
09-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Do it and don't look back.If you feel that you're the man for the job go for it.I volunteer tobe your showcase model.I'm sure if your work is good,alot of the MM members will bring their cars to you..Nothing worse than regrets about,I shoulda,I coulda,etc...GOOD LUCK should you decide to go for it....Nothing like being your own boss..Just keep in mind most small businesses fail due to under capitalization..

J-MAN
09-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Could you "detail" just what your detailing consists of? Four full details per day, wow!

bugsyc
09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Slickster....Are you going to Wilmington next month???Maybe you can demonstrate your skills.Everyone is wanting an exceptional detailer...

slickster
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
ill be at john hopkins in md until late oct. the only thing im lacking is cuting down paint and all that. ill take a class just for buffing im good now but cant hurt to get better. ive got waxing down to a art!. theres a $1000 200deg 150psi steam cleaner thats just magical. i spoke to a local ford dealer and told the maneger when he gets a trade in with faded paint to hold it until im ready to detail it then i would drop all kinds of mess and junk in the carpets and i would make the carpet look brand new he then would give me a 10k month contract at 4 cars a day. that was just the 5th dealer i called if this goes well i would hire two other workers well maybe 3 so i wont have two work and get another contract. i know what you guys are saying you get what you pay for but if something is good but its cheap and easy after so long that tends to change

boatmangc
09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Autogeek has Detailing 101 and 102 courses, It takes a weekend and you and about 10-15 others do a complete paint restoration on a Rent A Wreck car and then spend a day color sanding, buffing and polishing hoods painted with the worst orange peel you have ever seen just for the occasion, You get to use paint thickness gauges and just about every polish, compound, buffer and polisher there is.
Well worth the expense.
I took it after many years of doing paint corrections, showed up in the Marauder and got asked WTH are you doing here?
But I left with quite a few new tricks. I can always be taught something.

Check autogeekdotnet and look for training in the forum.