PDA

View Full Version : Added 375 HP and 18.7 lbs. of boost...

Cheeseheadbob
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Picked up this rocket sled on rails last Monday. A 2011 Sabaru Impreza WRX STi. I bought it from Audi of Alexandria. They did not know what they had...:D It has the full Cobb Stage II upgrades; full exhaust, down tube and CAI with a custom tune.

This thing absolutely flies in the Sport # mode. It also burns a tanker car of gas, but when you can downshift from 4th to 3rd, mash it all the way to the floor and find yourself doing 110+ in a couple blinks of the eyes, it is well worth it!

Turbo is a whole new kind of boost for me. When I mashed the go pedal on the Marauder, it was like getting kicked in the chest and having someone punch me in the face. When I downshift the Subaru, and mash it, it is like being released from a catapult. Not nearly as intense as the Marauder, but when I look down at the speedo, equally satisfying.

Now on to the suspension mods!

And the kicker is that I can fit all of my Goalie equipment and sticks, as well as my golf clubs!!!:beer:

ctrlraven
09-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Congrats Bob!

Joe Walsh
09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Nice Subie Bob!

Because of the aforementioned crappy gas mileage......

You should de-tune the WRX....I guess you wouldn't mind if we bolted all those Cobb goodies on the wife's Legacy GT?

Cheeseheadbob
09-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Joe, I will take you up on your offer when I decide to put the big twin turbos on... In the mean time, check out these guys. http://www.iagperformance.com/ Great shop, great guys, and no one is allowed to wear their ball caps incorrectly while in the shop area! :D
Nice Subie Bob!

Because of the aforementioned crappy gas mileage......

You should de-tune the WRX....I guess you wouldn't mind if we bolted all those Cobb goodies on the wife's Legacy GT?

Joe Walsh
09-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I drive by IAG's shop every time I head up Route 140 to our warehouse near Taneytown.
There is always a bunch of modded Subies parked out front.
I have never stopped in because I KNOW that if I do....I will start modding Marianne's Legacy GT and then I am in real trouble!!

(BTW: She has run 164,000 miles on the 2005 Legacy and it still is running like a champ.)

....but when the turbo bearings wear out......:hmmm:

boatmangc
My STI made my Valentine 1 go off when I got into high RPMs.

ctrlraven
I know a lot of people running IAGP stuff and haven't heard anything bad about them.

Cheeseheadbob
09-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Ha! What do you think caused it?
My STI made my Valentine 1 go off when I got into high RPMs.

SC Cheesehead
09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Good stuff, Bob!

Once that Boost gets in your blood, it's darn hard to stay away from it! :D

guspech750
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
That's bad ass!!

Sent from my iPhone

4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

1stMerc
09-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Now Bob, you know better than to post without pics of the engine.

Let's see it.

burt ragio
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Always liked the Subbie. Best of luck.

Cheeseheadbob
09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I will get on that. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post up.:beer:
Now Bob, you know better than to post without pics of the engine.

Let's see it.

whitey
09-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Very nice, theres a shop called agile auto that specializes in subaru tuning on the corner of rt 152/mountain rd and Route 1

Cheeseheadbob
09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Here are some pics I took with my crappy cell phone camera. It is pretty cool how Subaru can get so much power and torque out of a 2.5 L 4 banger!

1stMerc
09-25-2012, 04:10 PM
^^^Very nice. They sure packed it in there.^^^

I came close to buying one back in 02. Unfortunately the dealership had moved out of walking distance. Still love those WRXs

babbage
09-26-2012, 05:53 AM
When are you taking it to the drags? My old WRX did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, wasn't the STi and was a total dog under 3k RPMS..

Timeslip or it isn't fast! ;) :D

Cheeseheadbob
09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
I will be taking it to the track sometime in October for sure! I'm glad I kept most of my old racing gear!:D

The STi is not a complete dog under 3K, but once you turn it to the S # setting, and get into the boost, 120 mph comes very quickly... I can also use my tuner to do flat foot shifting. That should be a hoot! :burnout:
When are you taking it to the drags? My old WRX did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, wasn't the STi and was a total dog under 3k RPMS..

Timeslip or it isn't fast! ;) :D

babbage
09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I will be taking it to the track sometime in October for sure! I'm glad I kept most of my old racing gear!:D

The STi is not a complete dog under 3K, but once you turn it to the S # setting, and get into the boost, 120 mph comes very quickly... I can also use my tuner to do flat foot shifting. That should be a hoot! :burnout:

Cool, looks like you need to get the access port. I'd think launch control would be very cool to have.

Saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNMJVdD9mU

Odinson
09-26-2012, 08:22 AM
That's so cool! Love to see solid numbers on FF shifting. Especially since it's visibly faster.

Joe Walsh
09-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes Bob,
After reviewing the pix of your engine....I've come to the conclusion that I have intercooler envy.....yours is much bigger than mine....(Actually my wife's!!....:eek:)

You should strip off all those useless "Go-Fast" parts and donate them to my 'underendowment fund'......:P

BTW: Isn't 'flat footed' shifting just good old powershifting?

Cheeseheadbob
09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
The AccessPort was my first purchase after getting the car. I had it in my hands and plugged into the car less than two days from taking delivery!:D
Cool, looks like you need to get the access port. I'd think launch control would be very cool to have.

Saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNMJVdD9mU

MarauderTJA
09-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Nothing better than boost Bob:beer:. Super car for you snow birds.

Cheeseheadbob
09-26-2012, 06:18 PM
In a way, yes. You use the AccessPort tuner for the map that allows you to keep the pedal pinned to the floor and hit the clutch without redlining the motor. You can preset your RPM's for the shift. Pretty cool, and I can't wait to try it! :burnout:

BTW: Isn't 'flat footed' shifting just good old powershifting?

Joe Walsh
09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
In a way, yes. You use the AccessPort tuner for the map that allows you to keep the pedal pinned to the floor and hit the clutch without redlining the motor.
You can preset your RPM's for the shift. Pretty cool, and I can't wait to try it! :burnout:

I always thought that was the intent!

REDLINE it baby!!!

:D

Besides, the 'redline' on an engine is only a rough guideline to be ignored during any speed contest.....:P