PDA

View Full Version : Air Induction

mrcar1
02-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Can someone enlighten me on an air induction solution for the Marauder? I am currently running the Reinhart chip, 4:10 gear, plugs and thermostat on my '03 Marauder. At this point I have not touched the air induction system. Is there any benefit to a cold air type kit or simply utilize a K&N replacement filter and where can I locate such a product?

Thanks in advance.

:coolman:

TAF
02-23-2004, 09:03 AM
K&N does make an air filter for the Marauder

<TABLE id=dg_app style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 2px ridge; BORDER-TOP: white 2px ridge; FONT-SIZE: smaller; BORDER-LEFT: white 2px ridge; WIDTH: 750px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 2px ridge; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" borderColor=white cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 rules=all border=2><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: navajowhite"><TD>Year</TD><TD>Make</TD><TD>Model</TD><TD>Type</TD><TD>Engine Type</TD><TD>Comment</TD><TD>Part Number</TD><TD>Description</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dedfde"><TD>2003</TD><TD>MERCURY</TD><TD>Marauder</TD><TD>Automotive</TD><TD>4.6L V8 F/I </TD><TD>All</TD><TD>33-2272 (http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2272)</TD><TD>Air Filter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Best price I've found is @ www.ajusa.com (http://www.ajusa.com)

The Marauder is supposed to have the most free flowing air intake of any Ford car. Nobody has come up with any improvements that show significant results barring forced air induction.

mrcar1
02-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the information. I just ordered the replacement filter from your referal.

:rock:

MERCMAN
02-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the information. I just ordered the replacement filter from your referal.

:rock:

careful with the K&N, if you have a problem with your MAF, the warranty may be voided on it!!

TAF
02-23-2004, 09:36 AM
careful with the K&N, if you have a problem with your MAF, the warranty may be voided on it!!
Not true mercman. :down:

The way to use the K&N is to NOT "re-oil"/clean it...just buy another one for $35 and put a new one in if you think it's dirty. I just put a new one in at 25K miles and will do the same at 50K.

2003 MIB
02-23-2004, 10:03 AM

The way to use the K&N is to NOT "re-oil"/clean it...just buy another one for $35 and put a new one in if you think it's dirty. I just put a new one in at 25K miles and will do the same at 50K.
That's what I do too, Todd except at 20K and 40K. I just never told anybody- wanted to avoid the "you're throwing money away" stuff...:banana2:

MERCMAN
02-23-2004, 10:12 AM

ok,, so if you don't re-use it, is it worth the extra $$$$ ? No flame intended, just curious :confused:

01True BlueGT
02-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Void the warranty, is no, but they could make you pay for a MAS airflow. The oil gets on the wire and makes it read incorrectly. Most techs won't say anything, because they have 1 too.

2003 MIB
02-23-2004, 10:29 AM
ok,, so if you don't re-use it, is it worth the extra $$$$ ? No flame intended, just curious :confused:

Oh, it's a very valid question- no doubt. Why do I do it? I saw this demo machine at a car show where a ping pong ball was in a tube measuring airflow. A paper element would block the flow and the ball would fall- the K&N allowed enough to float the ball. Sold me but might be more marketing than anything else....

TAF
02-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Well, if you're changing everytime you have the oil changed 2-3K (like some recommend) with the paper filter @ $4-$7 a pop...it's kind of a "wash" cost wise in my mind.

RF Overlord
02-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I saw this demo machine at a car show where a ping pong ball was in a tube measuring airflow. A paper element would block the flow and the ball would fall- the K&N allowed enough to float the ball. Sold me but might be more marketing than anything else....

OK, the K&N thing has been discussed ALMOST as endlessly as oil threads, so I'm only gonna say this once...for the benefit of those who may be teetering on the precipice...

If you have 100% filtration, you have zero flow...if you have 100% flow, you have zero filtration. A good filter design finds a happy medium. Just because a given filter will FLOW some specific amount more than another, doesn't mean it's a BETTER filter...especially if the max flow is greater than the car needs at WOT.

Example: Oiled filter "K" will flow 850 cfm. Stock paper filter "M" will flow 720 cfm...if my motor only needs 700 cfm at WOT, what's the advantage to filter "K", especially if it costs 4 times what filter "M" does? And further, what's the advantage to filter "K" if I change it at filter "M" intervals?

Paul T. Casey
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Talking to some gear head buddies of mine, air flow on the Marauders is the least of our power concerns, right for the air inlet through the valves. These modulars seem to breathe pretty good.

Cobra25
02-23-2004, 11:11 AM
I spoke to Lincoln Mercury about this. They told me That some people over oil the K&N filters after they clean them and Oil gets on the MAF changing the readings. Second the factory Air Filter they say is alot better in cleaning the air and stopping water from getting into your motor than the K&N filter , if you live in a area where their is alot of flooding then the K&N might not be best for you. But as far as Air Induction grades the K&N panel filter is all that is out their right now for the Marauder. At least what I've been told.

scareme
02-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Are there any proven gains fomr the K&N or is it a preference thing?

Ross
02-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has produced a commercially available cold air kit for our cars yet. Before I agree that such a kit won't help, I would like to see one tested. I remember all of the people who said that headers wouldn't help, either. Now we know that was incorrect.

Kelly
02-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Dennis told me to just stick with the paper and change it often, the sting is that the local ford place charges $22.00 each for the paper, any other lo-cal to get a cheaper paper?

RF Overlord
02-23-2004, 11:55 AM

The K&N has been proven to gain approx. 1-2 HP over the paper...on a Crown Vic, which has an inferior (to the Marauder) intake system...

metroplex: You wanna take it from here? ;)

Ross
02-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Also, K&N not only makes a replacement filter which is the same size as the OEM, it makes a larger, conical filter. I have one of those but have never had the car dynoed so I can't give anything accurate about gains.

scareme
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Cobra25, i noticed in your sig you have the tornado, did you feel like you got a gain from that?

2003 MIB
02-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Also, K&N not only makes a replacement filter which is the same size as the OEM, it makes a larger, conical filter. I have one of those but have never had the car dynoed so I can't give anything accurate about gains.
Hey Ross,
Is that the generic 3" that just attaches to the end of the inlet hose? It seemed to me that it would just suck hot underhood air...

Ross
02-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Hey Ross,
Is that the generic 3" that just attaches to the end of the inlet hose? It seemed to me that it would just suck hot underhood air...

It's about 5 or 6 inches in diameter at its widest point, and about 9 inches long. Not out by the car right now to measure it. I think K&N makes several sizes of conical filters. Suck hot underhood air? Maybe. I think there may be a trade off somewhere. What if a certain filter gives you more air, but hotter air? You gain by having more air, but you lose by having hotter air. Depending on how much MORE air you take in, and how much HOTTER that air is, you will either have a net gain or a net loss. Without having done the dyno to tell, I'm not sure where those points are.

SergntMac
02-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has produced a commercially available cold air kit for our cars yet. Before I agree that such a kit won't help, I would like to see one tested. I remember all of the people who said that headers wouldn't help, either. Now we know that was incorrect.
You are correct, there is no commercial production cold air kit specifically for the MM, by any of the major players. It's also my understanding that K&N has been approached about a tailored FIPK, and they decided against it due to limited MM production, and small owner/modder demographics. Once we told them we had been adapting another filter to our OEM air box, they gave it a part number for ease of ordering.

I personally ran into this wall when I approached AutoMeter to make a custom gauge A pillar (not just a pod) for our MMs. The best we got was single and dual add-on pods.

I am disappointed to see your "incorrect" comments here about "headers." Back in '02, I was one of the loudest who spoke up about the headers available then, because they were expensive and provided very little performance in return. They were full length headers from Kook's, available through Sean Hyland, at 1500 bucks a set, headers alone. Then, or, now, I do not think the 10-15 HP these headers would produce on a N/A MM is a good deal. Consideing the low end loss of torque as well, I still say they are not. I did not offer incorrect advice, as you suggest.

Since then, Kook's has designed a set of mid length headers, Dennis Reinhart developed his Corba manifold kit, and both have provided choices in the exhaust/cat/X-pipe mods. Today, this is solid performance at reasonable costs to us, and money better spent today. These products have been tested by US, in the field, and gains reported on by real end users, not a custome built 5.2 stroker on an engine dyno in a lab in Canada. We may not agree on which system is ultimately the best for us all, and I don't think we really need to do look at things that way. We only need to know that both are good investments with a favorable "bang for the buck" return.

As I have said in other posts, everything here is dynamic, new ideas and new developments every day. Often, what was true a year ago may not be true anymore, but give the pioneers a break. Their opinions of a year ago were trutheful back then. And in this case, it is still truth.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, my comments apply to our air filter discussion as well. Absent any development of a cold air kit for the N/A MM, choice of air filter seems to be the only component we may expect to improve upon. The OEM cold air path is the best FMC has ever produced. It can be fine tuned if you want to spend some time paging through a Summit, or, Jeg's catalogue and cross referrence some hoses and stuff. But, it's still the best there is, short of personal customization.

RF's response is your best advice, look at flters from his point of view. More air flow = more impurities, choose your filter carefully. With respect for the "bang for the buck," I subscribe to the "cleaner is better" school of thought, as I do with all consumables.

When I owned a N/A MM, I bought air Autolite or Motorcraft filters by the case, and changed it with every oil change, needed or not. This cost me about 4 bucks a change, and took two minutes of my time.

I do not offer any disrespect to those who prefer to spoil their MM with expensive oils and filters, I am sure there is gratification in having only the best for your MM. However, if all I am getting is a brand name to toss around in conversation, I'd rather save my coins for the stuff that extends longevity first. Oil or air, cleaner is better...IMHO

Ross
02-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Sarge, please accept my apologies if you thought that my comments were in any way directed personally toward you. As I recall, without going back to re-read all of the header posts, there was a general consensus (by a number of people) that headers wouldn't be of benefit to the car. Headers were developed which disproved that theory. Right now there is not a cold air kit, and many people say that our cars breathe so well that a kit wouldn't benefit us. All I am saying is that I'm not ready to close the door to a cold air kit until one is developed (like the headers were) and we see the results, good or bad.

Sarge, I've gotten too much good advice from you to be trying to flame you on this. Sorry if I didn't make the point of my prior post clear.

Cobra25
02-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Cobra25, i noticed in your sig you have the tornado, did you feel like you got a gain from that? IN my 2004 Mercury Grand Maq I felt a Nice difference, sold that car and the Tornado fit in the Marauder so I figured it couldn't hurt, it could only help so I put it in. Did I notice any difference, No.

TAF
02-23-2004, 03:52 PM
There were LOTS of folks who said early on the there was no gain from exhaust mods on this car. Where those threads or posts are...I can't find them, but I remember the discussions.

SergntMac
02-23-2004, 07:29 PM
There were LOTS of folks who said early on the there was no gain from exhaust mods on this car. Where those threads or posts are...I can't find them, but I remember the discussions.
Oh, they took place, Todd, I was involved with them too. And, it's just as well they are gone now, I suppose. This kind of history can get twisted and misunderstood, which is what I'm addressing now.

You didn't flame me Ross, and I'm not upset. I'm just looking at the accracy factor. Way back when...I said there was no benefit to headers at that time. Today, there is, and it's this development we should be focused on.

When I posted my original advice here, it was correct advice, based on what we knew then. It's still correct advice too, because the cost of those particular headers have not come down, and the only way to judge their value, is to buy a set and install them on a modded car, the way WE mod our cars, and see the difference. Long tubes may be the hottest setup yet, we don't know. But, not knowing doesn't make advice bad advice.

A new twist on cold air may be right around the corner, Ross, but for now, K&N has said officially said no to development. Reinhart has tried several times to build kits that improve cold air induction, and he gave up. I think this is pretty strong evidence that the N/A car has the best on it already, yes?

The only thing I'd like to see, is another way to get fresh cold air into the OEM air box, and I encourage the handy among us to experiment. The induction port is directly behind the headlight assembly, and whithout much room for direct air flow. Change that, and you may be on to something...IMHO.

CRUZTAKER
02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
It's also my understanding that K&N has been approached about a tailored FIPK, and they decided against it due to limited MM production, and small owner/modder demographics.
The regional K&N rep told me in March of '03 it was in the works. In Nov. '03 he told me what Mac stated above. There was no profit to be made.

MarauderMark
02-23-2004, 08:34 PM
So are we saying use the K&N or not to use K&N? is that the question.i have it and dont know weather or not to use it .i also but remember a thread about this and the majority was not to use it but some do use it .its like playing ping pong without anybody missing.i am not trying to be a problem but just need to know what to do with the $37.00 investment..:confused:

RF Overlord
02-23-2004, 08:39 PM
So are we saying use the K&N or not to use K&N? is that the question.

It isn't a matter of "use it or not"...just don't expect miracles if you do...

Glenn
02-23-2004, 09:10 PM
A professionally developed MM air box worth a dynoed 6-8 HP is scheduled to be released next week.

Glenn

FordNut
02-23-2004, 09:14 PM
So are we saying use the K&N or not to use K&N? is that the question.i have it and dont know weather or not to use it .i also but remember a thread about this and the majority was not to use it but some do use it .its like playing ping pong without anybody missing.i am not trying to be a problem but just need to know what to do with the $37.00 investment..:confused:

ping pong ping pong ping pong

Really, I use it but there is zero gain in performance. I just prefer the longer recommended service intervals when compared to the paper ones. And as has been said in this thread and many many others, if you clean and re-oil it don't over-do it or you'll mess up the MAF sensor.

FordNut
02-23-2004, 09:16 PM
A professionally developed MM air box worth a dynoed 6-8 HP is scheduled to be released next week.

Glenn

Come on, come on. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see this. Didn't you say something about an intake tube in another thread too?

jspradii
02-23-2004, 09:42 PM

Glenn
Do tell, Glenn....Do tell...by whom?:bounce:

TAF
02-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Glenn

So the REAL reason we didn't seee you on Saturday has FINALLY come out, eh?:shake:

Glenn
02-23-2004, 09:52 PM
No, I had to get my son from Ga Tech for the weekend and spend some father time with him. Sorry, I should not have said anything. Forget my post. It is not for me to say. (But, I'm getting one).

jspradii
02-23-2004, 10:00 PM
No, I had to get my son from Ga Tech for the weekend and spend some father time with him. Sorry, I should not have said anything. Forget my post. It is not for me to say. (But, I'm getting one).
Do say!!!!! Do say!!!!:rock:

TAF
02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
He's a bigger tease than...

SergntMac
02-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Sorry, I should not have said anything. Forget my post. It is not for me to say. (But, I'm getting one).
tick
tock
tick
tick
tick
tock...

Your rep is on the line here, Glenn...

tick
tock
tick
tock...

Petrograde
02-24-2004, 04:18 AM
woo hoo!

Forget my post. It is not for me to say. (But, I'm getting one). ARGGGG! Glenn you're killing us man! You can't drop a bombshell like that then tell us to forget it! :(

Will you be able to tell us next week?

Tom

jfclancy
02-24-2004, 04:30 AM
woo hoo!
ARGGGG! Glenn you're killing us man! You can't drop a bombshell like that then tell us to forget it! :(

Will you be able to tell us next week?

Tom
What he said ^^^^^^^ just let us know if it works after You get Yours ok ?
Joe Clancy :beer: :beer: :nono: :beer:

CRUZTAKER
02-24-2004, 04:33 PM
It's probably homemade:baaa: ....no company in their right mind would put enough time in engineering and production to build a kit that would likely retail for nearly $300 to a market of 2%ers on a vehicle in such a limited production.*
*The only exception would be Dennis, Trilogy, and KB on their S/C applications.

You made the very same statement the last time Mac and I said that as far as K&N, it wasn't gonna happen. Prove me wrong Ross...pleeeeeease, and give up the info! Otherwise, quit misleading the newbies, and frustrating the oldbies.:shake:

Glenn
02-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Allright, Allright, yes - Sarge is right as always. It was not my place to say anything. And I do apologize to the net. But, I will call and see If I can release any information tomorrow and post any news. Sorry. Old men sometimes get stupid. It's just that I cannot wait for it to come. Sometimes one's enthusiam overcomes one's common sense. Let's talk about Nitrous instead - 125 HP for the FFW in April. That will put me at 425 HP including the air box and other mods.

Glenn

CRUZTAKER
02-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Ross has changed the subject to laughing gas.

Let's talk about Nitrous instead - 125 HP for the FFW in April. That will put me at 425 HP including the air box and other mods.
Glenn
Whippits!!!:baaa:!:rolleyes: ! :help:

Race dogs...what did you think I was talking about?:banned:

Glenn
04-03-2004, 10:08 AM
O.K. , I'm trying to regain my Rep and reinstate my good standing with Mac. Just to clarify, I am only passing on information that hopefully will be of interest to fellow MM owners, nothing more. (Note: continuing release delays are always possible, but this is accurate as of yesterday.)

High Flow Air Box to be released Monday, April 5 by PP (#517-764-7661). Cost $289 with a stated 8 HP increase. Cool air duct is located behind the grill (no engine heat?). Unit is "similar" to Cobra unit. Web site will be update on 4/5 to reflect new MM products with photos. More MM mods to be released in April.

Glenn
(clarification from a previous post: one of the oldest active MM Net members)

Petrograde
04-03-2004, 10:14 AM
color me interested! :banana: :bounce:

03SILVERSTREAK
04-03-2004, 10:32 AM
O.K. , I'm trying to regain my Rep and reinstate my good standing with Mac. Just to clarify, I am only passing on information that hopefully will be of interest to fellow MM owners, nothing more. (Note: continuing release delays are always possible, but this is accurate as of yesterday.)

High Flow Air Box to be released Monday, April 5 by PP (#517-764-7661). Cost $289 with a stated 8 HP increase. Cool air duct is located behind the grill (no engine heat?). Unit is "similar" to Cobra unit. Web site will be update on 4/5 to reflect new MM products with photos. More MM mods to be released in April.

Glenn
(clarification from a previous post: one of the oldest active MM Net members)Im looking foward to hearing some more about this...

BillyGman
04-03-2004, 10:38 PM
????????? offered from who??????? Having cold air would be the only set-up that offers a real performance gain. Everyone who takes their MM's to the track, or who drives them hard during different times of the year knows how much cold air increases acceleration.

BruteForce
04-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Running the phone number (517-764-7661) through Google turns up Paul's High Performance www.paulshp.com (http://www.paulshp.com). No Maurader parts yet though... :(

BillyGman
04-03-2004, 11:23 PM
AAAAAAAHHHH!! Good info.......I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow.

hitchhiker
04-03-2004, 11:41 PM
K&N does make an air filter for the Marauder

<TABLE id=dg_app style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 2px ridge; BORDER-TOP: white 2px ridge; FONT-SIZE: smaller; BORDER-LEFT: white 2px ridge; WIDTH: 750px; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 2px ridge; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" borderColor=white cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 rules=all border=2><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: navajowhite"><TD>Year</TD><TD>Make</TD><TD>Model</TD><TD>Type</TD><TD>Engine Type</TD><TD>Comment</TD><TD>Part Number</TD><TD>Description</TD></TR><TR style="COLOR: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dedfde"><TD>2003</TD><TD>MERCURY</TD><TD>Marauder</TD><TD>Automotive</TD><TD>4.6L V8 F/I </TD><TD>All</TD><TD>33-2272 (http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2272)</TD><TD>Air Filter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Best price I've found is @ www.ajusa.com (http://www.ajusa.com)

The Marauder is supposed to have the most free flowing air intake of any Ford car. Nobody has come up with any improvements that show significant results barring forced air induction.

Thanks for your posting on this K&N filter information!

Also helpful is the link to the PDF Document showing directions for replacing the Air Filter.

Best Regards,

David

BruteForce
04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Its now the 7th and still no new MM parts on their site. :rolleyes:

Ross
04-07-2004, 12:16 PM
I just called Paul's High Performance and talked to them. The guy said that they will have a ported and polished intake for around $1,200.00 and a cold air kit for around $200.00 in about two weeks. I asked about dyno numbers and he said that they got about 280 RWHP with these two mods only. This would be about 40-45 additional RWHP for about $1,400.00-$1,500.00. I hope this is true, it would be good news, but I am holding my breath. Dennis apparently didn't get that kind of performance when he tried a ported and polished intake, and I'm sure that he is about as good as anyone else, and better than most, at designing mods. Of course, there is always someone who finds a way to do something just a little bit better, so I'm waiting to see.

one50npump
04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
will someone send me one of those K&N's they are throwing away?

2003 MIB
04-29-2004, 07:04 AM
I got the following email this morning from Paul's High Performance:

"Sorry for the delayed reply - This is our really busy season!!!
The High Flow airbox is $249 with pre-filter. Good for 18 rwhp and 14 lb-ft
of torque. Really nice unit! Going up on the website today, 04/29."

If there are sheets posted or it looks cool- I'm buying one.

2003 MIB
04-29-2004, 08:32 AM
I got the following email this morning from Paul's High Performance:

"Sorry for the delayed reply - This is our really busy season!!!
The High Flow airbox is $249 with pre-filter. Good for 18 rwhp and 14 lb-ft
of torque. Really nice unit! Going up on the website today, 04/29."

If there are sheets posted or it looks cool- I'm buying one.

They did post a dyno sheet and I bought one. It looks quite evil...I like that.

scareme
04-29-2004, 04:14 PM
MIB please follow up as I'm sure you will when you recieve and install it!!!!

SergntMac
04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Let's start a new thread on this new development, or, catch up with each other on other new threads now running? This 411 is too important to get lost by split/multiple threads, K?

cyclone03
04-29-2004, 05:44 PM

Any chance you'll send me your old one for "disposal".

I'll pay shipping of course.

Edit:
DAH,boy this is an old thread.........

Glenn
05-02-2004, 06:12 PM
I told you so! 18 HP is unbelievable, but look at the dyno charts!!!!!
<http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp/estore/images/7000051.jpg>
"The Paul's High Performance's Marauder High-Flow Air Box is uniquely designed for the '03-'04 Marauders. It bolts in using your existing lower O.E. mounting pads. Comes with our stainless heat shield, lower black-powder coated brace, 10-inch conical open-end filter, and all mounting hardware and gaskets along with comprehensive instructions. Adds 18 rwhp & 14 lb-ft of torque.
We highly recommend the use of the Pre-filter which is a re-usable filter skin that helps to keep dirt and moisture out."
<http://secure-order-area.net/paulshp/estore/images/7000052.jpg>
"With or Without Marauder Pre-filter
Without Pre-filter $229
With Pre-filter $249
Installation
Add $45 for installation of this product"

We need some feedback on any installations and a HP dyno chart would be great.

Glenn

Petrograde
05-03-2004, 03:37 AM
I just ordered one. $249 for 18 rwhp and 14 lb-ft of torque? sounds good to me! :up:

schuvwj
05-03-2004, 04:16 AM
I just ordered one. $249 for 18 rwhp and 14 lb-ft of torque? sounds good to me! :up:

I ordered Paul's cold air kit also, can't wait to install it and pickup those HP'S!

Bradley G
05-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Is this kit only compatible with n/a MM's? or will it work withwith a s/c as well?

BillyGman
05-03-2004, 09:49 AM
I would think that us S/Ced owners have even more of a reason to get this mod. Any increase of air going in would only benefit a S/Ced engine. However, it might create the need to have the air/fuel ratio checked to see if it can be causing a lean condition, and therefore might neccessatate having a new chip burned (atleast for S/Ced cars).

What I don't understand is why $45 for the installation? I'm not implying that they're overcharging people, but for that installation fee, it makes me wonder exactly how involved, or how difficult the installation procedure is. I've written to them about this, and to ask them to send me a copy of the installation instructions (assuming there are some) but they haven't written back to me yet. If i was to purchase this, then I'd be the one performing the installation.

03SILVERSTREAK
05-03-2004, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see better pics and a better display of the time slip and how it will get the outside cold air ???

BillyGman
05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
yeah, I couldn't even see that dyno chart very well. It's very small, and when you blow it up, it's all blury to the point that you cannot even read any of the numbers on the chart at all.

TripleTransAm
05-03-2004, 10:11 AM
We highly recommend the use of the Pre-filter which is a re-usable filter skin that helps to keep dirt and moisture out."

Isn't that what a filter is supposed to do in the first place? :lol: :lol:

BillyGman
05-03-2004, 10:19 AM

that's a very goodpoint Steve. I was thinking the same thing. That statement kinda makes me wonder about this. If the filter is adequate in the first place, then why is there a need for a "pre-filter". That just doesn't sound right to me. And if there IS a need for a pre-filter, then wouldn't having one cut down on the air flow? because if it would, then that might defeat the whole purpose for going w/this upgrade. Right?

Ofcourse all of this is merely speculation at this point, but these are questions that I believe we as would-be consuners need to consider, and should seek to have answered.

O's Fan Rich
05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
That's a good thing.
Those who have ordered it will post their experiences in another thread then?
Please?

Bradley G
05-03-2004, 10:02 PM
I would think that us S/Ced owners have even more of a reason to get this mod. Any increase of air going in would only benefit a S/Ced engine. However, it might create the need to have the air/fuel ratio checked to see if it can be causing a lean condition, and therefore might neccessatate having a new chip burned (atleast for S/Ced cars).

What I don't understand is why $45 for the installation? I'm not implying that they're overcharging people, but for that installation fee, it makes me wonder exactly how involved, or how difficult the installation procedure is. I've written to them about this, and to ask them to send me a copy of the installation instructions (assuming there are some) but they haven't written back to me yet. If i was to purchase this, then I'd be the one performing the installation.Hey BillyGman I'm still a newbee:P I thought S/C kits required or were supplied with better air pickups than N/A's . Probably hearing MAF made me think air box was different between the two:confused:

BillyGman
05-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Bradley G, no that isn't true. they neither come w/a new MAF, nor a new airbox. perhaps some of them do, but not the ones that I'm familair with. A good Supercharger, and related kit, will make your car a whole lot faster w/out any MAF upgrade. maybe it's different w/a ricer's car I dunno, but there aren't many of those guys on this board anyway.

Bradley G
05-05-2004, 04:29 AM
:D [QUOTE=BillyGman]Bradley G, no that isn't true. they neither come w/a new MAF, nor a new airbox. perhaps some of them do, but not the ones that I'm familair with. A good Supercharger, and related kit, will make your car a whole lot faster w/out any MAF upgrade. maybe it's different w/a ricer's car I dunno, but there aren't many of those guys on this board anyway.[/QUOTE I appreciate all your info! I have learned a ton from you and others :up: . I'm 6'7", sold]Fords & Linclns, Mercs for going on 15 yrs. "I HATE RICERS":down: "I luv MM's":) (ricers are for little people)

MERCMAN
05-05-2004, 07:41 AM

Like pre-boarding an airplane? pre-heating an oven? :lol:

03SILVERSTREAK
05-05-2004, 07:44 AM
I'd like to see better pics and a better display of the time slip and how it will get the outside cold air ??? Id still like to see better pics...

MERCMAN
05-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Is this simply just a heat shield to cool the air, or does this incorporate a tube that re-routes the outside air to come from somewhere other than from the engine compartment? :help:

BillyGman
05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Paul's seems to choose to be very tight lipped about this. Atleast through the e-mail anyway. I wrote to them asking them to send a file of the installation instructions, and they refused to comply. They did send me a reply, however merely stated that the installation is simple. But no file for the instruction manual was sent. I had explained to them who i was, and that I'm a member of this board. ialso mentioned my username, and that I was interested in purchasing one of these from them, and that I wanted to take a look at the instructions first. but I guess all of that didn't matter to them.

2003 MIB
05-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Paul's seems to choose to be very tight lipped about this. Atleast through the e-mail anyway. I wrote to them asking them to send a file of the installation instructions, and they refused to comply. They did send me a reply, however merely stated that the installation is simple. But no file for the instruction manual was sent. I had explained to them who i was, and that I'm a member of this board. ialso mentioned my username, and that I was interested in purchasing one of these from them, and that I wanted to take a look at the instructions first. but I guess all of that didn't matter to them.

Yikes!- I hope that your experience is not typical...as a respected member of this board, your words have a lot of weight and could impact sales for these folks. We are the only people modifying Marauders and it's already a small market. I'll tell you what Billy...Mine's coming today and I'll see what they send for instructions as well as report my Danometer (seat-of the-pants) results. I emailed them this morning and Rhonda sent me the tracking number in a matter of minutes...It LOOKS as simple as unbolted the old box and bolting in the new. Let's see.

Ross
05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Let's hope that Paul's not only has a good product, but also better support than they showed to Billy. Since K&N is right on Paul's tail with a competing product, those of us who are interested will need to make some decisions. Price, performance and professional support all go into my decisions.

BillyGman
05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Let me point out that I very often take a hard line on vedors until they prove themselves to me. i was the same way with Kooks, but after purchasing their product, and installing it on my Marauder, I've been praising Kooks and their exhaust package every chance I get. So I'm very often a hard sell. But IF a vendor proves themself to me, and their product is as good thaty say, then I'm their biggest supporter. It's too bad that paul's didn't take the opportunity to go the extra mile for me. I gave them a chance, but they chose not to. that doesn't neccessarily mean that I'll never purchase their product, nor that their product is worthless.

I'm just a bit skeptical thus far. That's merely my opinion, and one that's based so far on speculation alone. So it shouldn't neccessarily sway anyone as far as I'm concerned. I'm only voicing a gut reaction here. That's all. I might end up buying one of these. I dunno.

TAF
05-05-2004, 11:48 AM
I tried to do some business with Paul's...not interested anymore, though. I'm with Billy.

TripleTransAm
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Paul's seems to choose to be very tight lipped about this. Atleast through the e-mail anyway. I wrote to them asking them to send a file of the installation instructions, and they refused to comply.

Just to be a devil's advocate, perhaps they are afraid that the installation instructions might be detailed enough that the product might be copied?

Perhaps a second email asking for specific answers might be more productive... perhaps asking whether any drilling is required, what parts are replaced, what extra hardware needs to be purchased at the installer's expense (ie. random nuts, bolts, screws, etc.)... just in case they feel sharing installation instructions might result in a breach of info and eventual lost sales to competitors.

No affiliation with Paul's... just putting forth a possible alternative spin on the situation.

2003 MIB
05-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Ok folks- I got it. It's installed and here's what I know:
1) It doesn't come with installation instructions- you don't need them- it's VERY intuitive. On a 1-10 scale as a wrench, I'm a 2. Some of y'all could do it with a spork during a commercial. It took me 18 minutes.
2) It doesn't take in outside air. The filter is huge and in almost a tunneled heat shield.
3) The seat of pants doesn't feel any different than my handmade heat shield $15 and leftover Dynamat.
4) IT LOOKS WICKED COOL INSTALLED.
That's it...Draw your own conclusions- I'm keeping it and selling my old conical K&N and handmade shield. :burnout:

CRUZTAKER
05-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm confused and concerned as well. I have been on the road for some time now, and have been unable to make the call to Paul's. I know Logan has successfully spoken with them. I wish he would comment...

BillyGman
05-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Hmmm, now that's funny, because when Paul's wrote back to me, they specifically told me that the kit comes w/instructions. I wonder why they would've told me that? Maybe it doesn't even require instructions though. I'll have to assume it's no biggie. I just don't like having to assume.

2003 MIB
05-05-2004, 05:58 PM
I'll have to assume it's no biggie. I just don't like having to assume.

No brother, you have to trust me. I swear on Charlton Heston's life that you will have ZERO trouble installing this puppy. You know me, Billy- that's a big deal.

2003 MIB
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
And if there IS a need for a pre-filter, then wouldn't having one cut down on the air flow? because if it would, then that might defeat the whole purpose for going w/this upgrade. Right?

I also got the pre-filter. It is thin (you can see through it) and resembles the material used in cheap ladies undergarments. I understand what it's supposed to do but really it would appear to keep bugs etc... out of the filter element.

TripleTransAm
05-05-2004, 06:08 PM
I also got the pre-filter. It is thin (you can see through it) and resembles the material used in cheap ladies undergarments.

Interesting. I've never handled undergarments belonging to cheap ladies, so I obviously have no idea how it works.

CRUZTAKER
05-05-2004, 06:27 PM
That's it...Draw your own conclusions- I'm keeping it and selling my old conical K&N and handmade shield. :burnout:
Do you have the resources to do a dyno run and reaffirm the hp increases?

Petrograde
05-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Well,.. I ordered it online on Monday. I e-mailed asking for an estimated ship date and some info on installation... No reply yet. hmmm. They also haven't charged my Visa yeat either.

schuvwj
05-05-2004, 09:00 PM
I got mine today and installed it in about 20 minutes. Yes it doesn't come with installation instructions but you don't really need it. The installation is a no brainer.
1) Take Paul's cold air uint completly apart.
2) Remove the OEM stock filter box, rubber air intake hose. and MAS from MM.
3) Remove MAS from the Stock filter box and install it on Paul's new box, kit provides new MAS gaskets and bolts/lock nuts. (Do NOT use the old OEM ring gaskit or screws)
4) Install new filter with cloth filter cover using hose clamp provided in kit.
5) Once Filter is installed re-install cold air box cover.
6) Bolt the cold air unit to one of the existing bolts used on the OEM filter box and connect the stock air hose.
7) This colds air unit takes all of the cold air coming from the same location/source as or stock boxes. (It does not re-route the air to a defferant location)
8) Yes it does keep the hot air off the air filter.
9) Any seat of pants differance? I have only driven it 5 miles so it's too early for me to tell. I did see less RPM drop when shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th.
10) Yes the stallation is very very good looking!

My 2 cents

tmac1337
05-05-2004, 09:29 PM
I ordered one yesterday. I was very specific on the phone if it came with installation instructions and was assured that it did. I also asked if the HP and TQ was increased later through a dyno tune change the air fuel ratio and was told that it was a stock vehicle with before and after dyno, no changes in between except for the box. I am interested to see if instructions will be included in the box. If not conclusions are conclusions. Let you all know when I get it. I would like others who have access to a dyno to do a before and after when they get one to post the findings for the other members.

BillyGman
05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
No brother, you have to trust me. I swear on Charlton Heston's life that you will have ZERO trouble installing this puppy.

Now wait a minute......if you're bringing old Charlie's name into this, then that's different.....in that case you must be shootin straight......

studio460
05-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Cool air duct is located behind the grill (no engine heat?). Unit is "similar" to Cobra unit.
To those of you that already have the cold air kit, is this true? (I don't know what the Cobra intake looks like). Is there any ducting in the PHP product that takes air from somewhere OTHER than where the stock airbox took it in? Or are the benefits primarily due mainly to the larger/higher-flow filter and the heat shield? Thanks.

Oh, by the way . . . POST SOME PICTURES OF YOUR "WICKED-COOL" INSTALLS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 MIB
05-06-2004, 04:25 AM
are the benefits primarily due mainly to the larger/higher-flow filter and the heat shield?

Yes. Absolutely correct- no ducting is provided.

This next part is pretty sad to say (especially to you Shooter)...I'm photo challenged and have trouble posting pics on the site. A camera idiot of the highest magnatude BUT, I'll be at the AER show this weekend and someone will post a pic.

Petrograde
05-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Just got it installed

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_3.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_2.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_1.jpg

merc406
05-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Just got it installed

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_3.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_2.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=503/1111PHP_Air_Box_1.jpg

Is that homemade?

CRUZTAKER
05-06-2004, 05:59 PM
I ordered mine this afternoon! The folks at Dave's were delightfull on the phone...and yes, they have been recently inundated with calls from Marauder owners.:D

joflewbyu2
05-06-2004, 06:00 PM
IMHO - Do you think there is really a restriction on the huge factory intake tube going to the throttle ? I don't ! The airbox is plenty big and picks up cool/colder air from outside the engine bay ! The factory system is sealed off from the engine bay heat - it's not using a deflector to keep the engine fans from creating turbulent air intake from messing up the MAF readings like many.

CRUZTAKER
05-06-2004, 06:01 PM
I will dyno with it as soon as I get it on, maybe next weekend....restrictive or not, I'll know soon.

Petrograde
05-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Is that homemade?

:lol: yeah,.. I was wondering that too. The quality is good, But, I think I could've done the same thing at work.

I haven't driven it yet. so I don't know how much of an increase of RWHP/RWTQ there is. I would think that you could feelit? hmmmm..... we'll see.

merc406
05-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Why can't someone do a ram air from under the cover or through it. Air be cooler down their.

Petrograde
05-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Why can't someone do a ram air from under the cover or through it. Air be cooler down their.

My thoughts exactly!! I wonder if you could route a tube?

TAF
05-06-2004, 07:41 PM
If you don't get 18 RWHP out of that thing...demand your $ back.

From their site...
The Paul's High Performance's Marauder High-Flow Air Box is uniquely designed for the '03-'04 Marauders. It bolts in using your existing lower O.E. mounting pads. Comes with our stainless heat shield, lower black-powder coated brace, 10-inch conical open-end filter, and all mounting hardware and gaskets along with comprehensive instructions. Adds 18 rwhp & 14 lb-ft of torque.
We highly recommend the use of the Pre-filter which is a re-usable filter skin that helps to keep dirt and moisture out.

NOTE: No disclaimers of "on a stock Marauder" or anything....just "Adds 18 rwhp & 14 lb-ft of torque." Period...
As Marty says to his clients...."SHOW ME THE $$$$$$!!!!!!"

03SILVERSTREAK
05-06-2004, 07:42 PM
My thoughts exactly!! I wonder if you could route a tube?After seeing the pics , Its clear that this was not what I was expecting to see :down: . I believed it to be a ram air induction system that can be directed from the front of the car , forcing the air through the tube and into our air box so as the engine can get all the pressured cold air it can handle...

Petrograde
05-06-2004, 07:48 PM
After seeing the pics , Its clear that this was not what I was expecting to see :down: . I believed it to be a ram air induction system that can be directed from the front of the car , forcing the air through the tube and into our air box so as the engine can get all the pressured cold air it can handle...

Yup,.. I was under that impression too. I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box. :shake:

Butif it delivers the power, I'll be :rasta:

PS- I didn't get any "comprehensive instructions" but, it was pretty easy to figure out.

03SILVERSTREAK
05-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Yup,.. I was under that impression too. I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box. :shake:

Butif it delivers the power, I'll be :rasta:For the cost of that box , I hope it does because if it doesn't :fire: :fire: :fire: ...

Petrograde
05-06-2004, 07:52 PM
For the cost of that box , I hope it does because if it doesn't :fire: :fire: :fire: ...

abso-friggin'-lutely~!

well,.. time to find a dyno.

martyo
05-06-2004, 07:56 PM
As Marty says to his clients...."SHOW ME THE $$$$$$!!!!!!"

And, what would be wrong with that?

BTW, as for the airbox: :puke:

Sorry, I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

studio460
05-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Great pictures, Petorgrade!!! THANK YOU! That DOES like nice installed! Now, why can't anyone engineer a through-the-wheelwell duct somethin' to make this really suck some decent air. C'mon you HVAC experts, let's hear some ideas on this!

Better yet, I'd really much prefer a cowl hood air-induction solution. Ya know, the Camaro SS claims its 30HP increase JUST by using a cowl hood for the "ram air" effect. Other than Bilstein suspension options and SLP exhaust options, that was really the only "power adder" differentiating the SSs from the Z28s.

2003 MIB
05-07-2004, 03:45 AM
Interesting. I've never handled undergarments belonging to cheap ladies, so I obviously have no idea how it works.

A short road trip to The Barbie Club in Shebrook could provide a research opprotunity. It's my favorite part of Quebec. :up:

2003 MIB
05-07-2004, 04:05 AM
The quality is good, But, I think I could've done the same thing at work.

My thoughts too, Tommy- exactly...I already had a 10" conical heat-shielded K&N (albeit ugly). I did a sense of validation for my "homemade" system after seeing what the pros have brought to the marketplace. I saw that you took their decal off the box- I left it on so it didn't look homemade...Build quality is good but I would think I'd feel something in the seat more than I did. I'm glad Barry's gonna run this on the dyno and verify the numbers. I'm not convinced.
No bashing on Paul's- it looks better than what I had but IMO it sure doesn't rate much on my "bang for the buck" scale.
No offense to y'all but I wish I'd waited to buy this until after someone else here had tested it. Now, what I really wonder is what that K&N FIPK is gonna do...

Ross
05-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Now, what I really wonder is what that K&N FIPK is gonna do...
My sentiments exactly. With K&N coming out with a competitive product hopefully very soon, I would love to see some comparison before I buy either. I would think that with a true increase of 18 RWHP, there would be at least a little butt-o-meter difference.

Petrograde
05-07-2004, 02:51 PM
OK ,... by my calibrated butt-o-meter, I'd say there is a little bit of a difference. Seems to be a bit more pep off the line; and,... tell me if this makes sense: at 70 mph the RPMs are slightly lower. just under 2K, instead of just over 2K. ???

I did a sense of validation for my "homemade" system after seeing what the pros have brought to the marketplace.

You should feel validated Dan. You had a good setup! :up:

I saw that you took their decal off the box
yup! for $248 bucks I hope Paul didn't really expect me to do some free advertising for him! :nono: Besides, would your really want to admit what you paid for that? :lol: We'll see come dyno day!

TAF
05-07-2004, 03:11 PM
OK ,... by my calibrated butt-o-meter, I'd say there is a little bit of a difference. Seems to be a bit more pep off the line; and,... tell me if this makes sense: at 70 mph the RPMs are slightly lower. just under 2K, instead of just over 2K. ???
Good for you Tom. I had a lengthy discussion today with one of the Master Techs at Team Ford, and we discussed the setup. If it IS working...you should maybe not feel TOO much seat-o-the-pants (according to him)....BUT...he said a little difference could be felt from a...let's say "informed seat". He also said that if working properly, you'll see some more efficient gas mileage. So...if you feel some lower RPMs are now being experienced...that could be it. I don't know...I'm not the expert.

Glad you are pleased so far. :up:

Petrograde
05-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Glad you are pleased so far

Well,..'pleased' is a little strong... let's call it 'satified for now'

My slightly 'informed' seat thinks I need Ram Air!!! :lol:

Marauder57
05-07-2004, 03:44 PM
The kit looks nice....but I am kind of skeptical of 18 hp....that is a lot....but I also do not thing the K&N will do much more than what PaulsHP is doing...I don't think it will be re-routing air from outside....just kind of "boxing" it off like Paul's Dyno will be the real test....

Either way if I could get say 10hp....for $280....I guess that would be OK....especially now when 10hp is hard to come by on my NA MM....

:banana:

TripleTransAm
05-07-2004, 04:12 PM
A short road trip to The Barbie Club in Shebrook could provide a research opprotunity. It's my favorite part of Quebec. :up:

:lol: ROFLMAO! :lol:

I don't recognize the name of the club but if it's the one I'm thinking of (it's in that area), woohoo!

Note to all: all you single MM'ers out there would just DIE to have a Marauder get-together up here. Give me one night as the Master of Debauchery and I guarantee you'd leave here with a smile that would last a few months... ;)

TAF
05-07-2004, 05:58 PM
:lol: ROFLMAO! :lol:

I don't recognize the name of the club but if it's the one I'm thinking of (it's in that area), woohoo!

Note to all: all you single MM'ers out there would just DIE to have a Marauder get-together up here. Give me one night as the Master of Debauchery and I guarantee you'd leave here with a smile that would last a few months... ;)
I thought Chez Paris was the place...not that I've ever been there.

bahnstormer
05-07-2004, 07:01 PM
DR told me two weeks ago that he has never seen a hp gain on the dyno with a K&N filter. Ever. Beware of the oil and MAF. I'll never install K&N.

TripleTransAm
05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
... tell me if this makes sense: at 70 mph the RPMs are slightly lower. just under 2K, instead of just over 2K. ???

I'd love to tell you it did... but consider that the driveline (when the TCC is locked up 100% in 4th) is a solid entity from the tires all the way forward to the engine, solid meaning that there is no place where there could be a change in mechanical ratio. There would have to have been some slippage in order to result in two different RPMs for the same speed.

Sort of like saying you didn't have to pedal your 10-speed as fast in its highest gear because you had a better breakfast that morning. A gear ratio is a gear ratio...

Todd, Chez Parée is fine if you're a tourist or a high paid sports star. There are far more entertaining locations elsewhere (off the island being the most raunchy, of course). I've done my share for cross-border relations by taking many a US co-worker or visiting vendor/supplier to some of the more middle-of-the-road spots, and they've all gone back with grins and smiles lasting several weeks. :up:

For the rather sedate and controlled young man that I used to be, this was always a source of entertainment to watch our guests and their reactions in certain places... but someone less restrained could definitely get themselves into trouble in the raunchier spots.