PDA

View Full Version : Spray Gun Needed - painting

darebren
02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm going to order some House of Kolors Kandy paint and Clear Coat and whatever primer I need for both metal and plastic parts, and use it to paint some parts on my motorcycle (gas tank and fenders)

I have an air compressor, and it looks like gravity feed spray guns are pretty cheap (compared to $1,500.00 to have someone else paint my bike).

I can take all the parts off and hang them with wires in a protected area outside once it gets warmer. I'm not going for perfection here.

Anyone know a model and type of spray gun I can get from Home Depot to do this with?

Anyone have experience painting can share some tips?

martyo
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Anyone know a model and type of spray gun I can get from Home Depot to do this with?

Anyone have experience painting can share some tips?
Painting is not my bag, but I have always liked this company for its tools and supplies:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/department.asp?dep_key1=Paint&SKW=FPAINT

Dr Caleb
02-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't buy one, rent one. Like $20 for the week :)

http://www.ur.com/new/index.php/rental/General+Rentals/all

(Shameless plug)

pacammer
02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Buy one at Harbor Freight. Thier HVLP gun does a terrific job and is on sale for less than $60.00 dollars.
www.harborfreight.com

darebren
02-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Buy one at Harbor Freight. Thier HVLP gun does a terrific job and is on sale for less than $60.00 dollars.
www.harborfreight.com

I got that one from Harbour Freight, it looks like a nice one for about $59.00.

Now the hard part, picking out a color for the motorcycle. I'm leaning towards Kandy Tangerine or Shimmering Black Pearl... any suggestions

Man, I can't believe how complicated this is getting, I need special primer, basecoat, sealer, hardener, catalyst, reducer, top coat, clear coat.. all special House of Kolor stuff... but when I'm all set and done I'll be out the door at under $150.00 including the new spray gun and save over $1,000 compared to having someone else do it instead... might look less good, but it's only an old Harley style motorcycle