PDA

View Full Version : Check your Bank Account Status ASAP

GAMike
10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
:eek:Hey everyone...... I bank with Wells Fargo..... Last night someone went in and pinged my account with 2 small transactions and then was able to change my login/password.......

Long story short, but Wells Fargo sent a notice via email with a phone # in an effort to either confirm this change, or get me in touch with their online fraud team..........

Check your email and your spam folder for a similar notice as soon as you can....:cool:

martyo
10-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Be very careful.

Banks rarely make these sorts of communications via e-mail.

Watch what you click!

GAMike
10-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Be very careful.

Watch what you click!

My notice was that W/F was confirming a change made to my account... Since I did not make a change, I immediatley called the Fraud Hotline..... They had flagged one of the hacker's probing transactions allready.... I just confirmed their suspicions.

Vortex
10-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Banks dont send that type of message by email. SCAM.

martyo
10-02-2012, 06:57 AM
My notice was that W/F was confirming a change made to my account... Since I did not make a change, I immediatley called the Fraud Hotline..... They had flagged one of the hacker's probing transactions allready.... I just confirmed their suspicions.

That was a good way to handle it.

The electronic age is making it harder and harder to stay ahead of the crooks.

RubberCtyRauder
10-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Don't mean to hijack thread or make light of anyone who experiences bank fraud ( I experienced credit card fraud once) but, visiting MO's Speed shop can also make your bank account make withdrawals :lol:

Just kidding Martyo! I'm happy and glad that my schedule worked to bring my Marauder down to your shop last month. I knew I did not have to worry about it and that your crew would not steer me wrong. I only wish you guys were closer, but then I would need a bigger bank account:beer:

stevengerard
10-02-2012, 07:28 AM
just got the same "message" from US Bank

JBFTech
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
I had $1700 taken out of my account from somewhere overseas, and I caught it myself. The bank didn't inform me of anything, however, they did get my money back ASAP and take care of everything. BUT, there were 2 times that a hacker got into the system, one was the bank system, and the other time was the system at a store where I had made purchases. Both of those times, my bank closed my account and sent me an official letter in the mail, then a new bank card and account number. Never got one single email.

kernie
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
:eek:Hey everyone...... I bank with Wells Fargo..... Last night someone went in and pinged my account with 2 small transactions and then was able to change my login/password.......

Long story short, but Wells Fargo sent a notice via email with a phone # in an effort to either confirm this change, or get me in touch with their online fraud team..........

Check your email and your spam folder for a similar notice as soon as you can....:cool:

Be very careful.

Watch what you click!

Banks dont send that type of message by email. SCAM.

just got the same "message" from US Bank

I dunno, perhaps you should get the phone # from the phonebook and make another call.

Everything alright?

martyo
10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I dunno, perhaps you should get the phone # from the phonebook and make another call.

Everything alright?

Agreed.

There are "clone" or "spoof" sites with redirects that are very hard to detect.

gdmjoe
10-02-2012, 10:30 AM
GAMike ... someone went in and pinged my account with 2 small transactions and then was able to change my login/password.......

martyo - Be very careful.

Vortex - Banks dont send that type of message by email. SCAM.
Mis-Information ... Financial instutuions ROUTINELY send communications via Email when account changes are made. ESPECIALLY in the case of password and/or personal information.

martyo
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Mis-Information ... Financial instutuions ROUTINELY send communications via Email when account changes are made. ESPECIALLY in the case of password and/or personal information.

Not with "click through" information.

Dr Caleb
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM

My bank does not have my email address, so any email from 'them' I know to be fake. They also say on their website, they will send offers for services via email, but will NEVER send or ask for accounting information. For that, you have to go to their secure website or call in.

http://www.td.com/privacy-and-security/privacy-and-security/how-we-protect-you/online-security/onlinepolicy.jsp

GAMike
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Everything is fine on my side guys... Thanks for the suggestions.... I'm no babe in the woods regarding these kinds of transactions..... I guard my info. pretty well. Had it happen some years back and went through a similar process with a different bank..... All was good there as well.

Just an Fyi..... I am signed up for the bank to kick off an email notification to me, when something in my profile (that resides behind their firewall) changes.... Its a confirmation of anything I do (that it takes hold after I make the change, and to guard against things like this).

Thanks again.... Hope it does not hit anyone here......

PonyUP
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Glad everything is good Mike

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

gdmjoe
10-03-2012, 10:49 AM
martyo - Not with "click through" information.
GAMike indicated ..."email with a phone #" ...

You threw-in the ..."Watch what you click!"

gdmjoe
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Dr Caleb ... They also say on their website, they will send offers for services via email, but will NEVER send or ask for accounting information. For that, you have to go to their secure website or call in.
-CORRECT- And GAMike's Email notice noted that changes had been made (in this case login password) and probably indicated that if he (or an authorized rep') hadn't made the change(s) to call the bank. SOP.

Same would hold true for personal information changes as I noted.

Granddaddy Marq
10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
My thoughts on this "CASH"!

Shaijack
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Bank calls me if they see something going on in my account. Got three phone calls about a place in Dallas, GA.

IwantmyMMnow!
10-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't have to worry about this sort of thing....I ain't got no money! :lol:

GAMike
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
-CORRECT- And GAMike's Email notice noted that changes had been made (in this case login password) and probably indicated that if he (or an authorized rep') hadn't made the change(s) to call the bank. SOP.

Same would hold true for personal information changes as I noted.
Thats the ticket Joe... Spot on...:beer:

Bank calls me if they see something going on in my account. Got three phone calls about a place in Dallas, GA. :cool:Hey Shaijack...... For a small fee I can.... Ah never mind... If it were anyone else but Marty & Jeff:bows: I would tho.....

I don't have to worry about this sort of thing....I ain't got no money! :lol: I know how you feel:bigcry:

Better days are ahead for both of us bud:beer:

martyo
10-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Bank calls me if they see something going on in my account. Got three phone calls about a place in Dallas, GA.

That made me laugh!