PDA

View Full Version : World’s largest illicit street race

ctrlraven
10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/world-largest-illicit-street-race-crowns-repeat-champion-204219905.html

World’s largest illicit street race draws muscle cars, secret traffic tickets"

Every year, on the last weekend in August, thousands of hot rod fans in Stockholm fan out across the city to watch the Stockholm Open -- an illicit drag-racing tournament held on public streets. It's open to anyone who's car has enough muscle to compete -- and that usually means sub-9 second quarter-mile times, roll cages and enough power to pull an Ikea. This year saw a repeat winner, and a move by Swedish police to make the festival a little less fun.

As in much of Europe, Sweden's gearheads have a continuing affection for classic American muscle, for the same reason Chevy Monzas still line up at drag strips across the United States -- cheap, easy-to-build power, one that grows more alluring as regulations on newer vehicles tighten. While there are a few oddballs and Euro-only entrants in the video below, most of the setups wouldn't look out of place at any Friday night test-and-tune on this side of the Atlantic.

That said, winning ain't easy; previous champions have turned at least 1,000 hp and 7-minute runs. The men holding the cars down help get their burnouts started on wet pavement, and the same supercharged Camaro that won last year took this year's trophy as well. While the organizers will stage "meets" at several fake sites to fool police around Stockholm, authorities say they still have enough evidence to cite 74 people from this year's event with traffic violations. Something tells me that won't be enough to stop the Stockholm Open 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHPdTWv_xM
0LHPdTWv_xM

breeze
10-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow! Real street racing

LANDY
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Good video. Them boys are still rocking Cragars wheels.

Curless
10-02-2012, 03:35 PM
AWESOME, my first street race was on a closed highway!

WhatsUpDOHC
10-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Man!

When I think of Sweden, I think of 6' blonde women and saunas.

Who'd have known that they'd have blown Chevys and Mad Max lookin pieces.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blackmobile
10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I take it Hurst Line locks are illegal over there. lol :D

guspech750
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Man. That shet is crazy!

Sent from my iPhone

4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Mike
10-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Can't beat American Muscle anywhere on the planet!!! Awesome burnout at the 9:10 mark :burnout:

71cyclone
10-02-2012, 10:51 PM
MADD MAXX REINVENTED /Down under turned right side UP

MMBLUE
10-03-2012, 07:04 AM
A testament to true American Muscle and culture. Take notice Detroit. Cool vid:cool:

sweetair
10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Great stuff there. Isn't this a traffic nightmare for that highway?

Odinson
10-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I had a feeling nightstar was gunna win. Did you see that clear custom intake on the blower? Saves weight and increased visibility. Tough part to make too. Mechanical problem solver.