PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Advice

Timw286
10-04-2012, 04:09 AM
Reaching out to any Powerstroke fans on this site...I'll be getting out of the military soon and heading back to New England. With that being said I plan on buying a Ford truck, and have two different ones in mind. How much better of a motor is the 7.3 then the 6.0? I'd like to get the newest truck possible (I'm a fan of the 2003-2007) so I'd be looking at a 2007 Lariat with the 6.0. However, I could get a truck 5 years older but with a more reliable engine (7.3). So my question really is buy the newer truck I like with the less desirable motor or sacrifice age and style for a quality motor? I've been researching on the powerstroke forum, but I value the opinions of you guys, so any input is appreciated. Thanks.

SC Cheesehead
10-04-2012, 04:18 AM
03mmmonroe's a very knowledgeable diesel guy, send him a PM.

martyo
10-04-2012, 04:49 AM
The 6.0's are not bad if they have had the head studs and EGR delete done before you buy the,.

Timw286
10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
The 6.0's are not bad if they have had the head studs and EGR delete done before you buy the,.

EGR delete messes with your emissions, doesnt it? I think I would have problems in Massachusetts...

martyo
10-04-2012, 05:25 AM
EGR delete messes with your emissions, doesnt it? I think I would have problems in Massachusetts...

Are you sure Taxachussets does emissions on Diesels?

imorb1994
10-04-2012, 05:35 AM
6.0's are a mistake International wishes they could undo, in the first engine year Sept 02 -Sept 03 there were over something like $350 million in warranty repairs. And that number only grew as the years went by.
Like Marty said EGR delete, Head studs, head gaskets, High pressure oil pump(HPOP) upgrades.
I Worked in a International truck shop and had never seen any 6.0 with over 100k without having problems. 7.3 on the other hand if taken care of could easily see 200k without major repairs. Yeah the newer trucks are a little more aesthetically pleasing but i personally would have a reliable truck over a good looking one.
Also another thing people complain about the 7.3 is that they are loud, again would rather have a louder truck that's reliable.
Also highest mileage seen 7.3 590+k 6.0 175k
And if can't or not willing to update/ make emissions and head stud/gaskets upgrade either due to legal or financial reasons FWIW I would steer clear of the 6.0
not worth the headaches
Oh yeah one more thing don't forget about injectors. They use to be replaced at a rate of 1 set(8) every 30-45k due to internal failures

Timw286
10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Are you sure Taxachussets does emissions on Diesels?

The following types of motor vehicles are exempt from the emissions inspection:

Cars, trucks and SUVs manufactured before model year 1997 no longer receive tailpipe emissions tests but fail their safety inspections if they produce visible smoke
Light duty diesel vehicles (weighing less than 8, 500 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, or “GWVR”) that were either manufactured before model year 1997 or are 15 or more model years old
Medium duty diesel vehicles (up to 10,000 pounds GVWR) that were either manufactured before model year 2007 or are 15 or more model years old
Medium duty non-diesel vehicles either manufactured before model year 2008 or 15 or more model years old
New vehicles delivered to Massachusetts owners
Motorcycles and mopeds
Tactical military vehicles
Vehicle operated exclusively by electric power
I'm assuming I'd fall under this category with a 2007 f250, so looks like I'd be SOL with an EGR delete.

martyo
10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
6.0's are a mistake International wishes they could undo, in the first engine year Sept 02 -Sept 03 there were over something like $350 million in warranty repairs. And that number only grew as the years went by.
Like Marty said EGR delete, Head studs, head gaskets, High pressure oil pump(HPOP) upgrades.
I Worked in a International truck shop and had never seen any 6.0 with over 100k without having problems. 7.3 on the other hand if taken care of could easily see 200k without major repairs. Yeah the newer trucks are a little more aesthetically pleasing but i personally would have a reliable truck over a good looking one.
Also another thing people complain about the 7.3 is that they are loud, again would rather have a louder truck that's reliable.
Also highest mileage seen 7.3 590+k 6.0 175k
And if can't or not willing to update/ make emissions and head stud/gaskets upgrade either due to legal or financial reasons FWIW I would steer clear of the 6.0
not worth the headaches
Oh yeah one more thing don't forget about injectors. They use to be replaced at a rate of 1 set(8) every 30-45k due to internal failures

I forgot to mention I love my 7.3 TurboDiesel!

maineiac
10-04-2012, 06:34 AM
i have a 7.3 turbo and its bulletproof,245000 and getiig stonger everyday it seems,all i have done is change the fluids and filters,andf have changed the glow plugs once.i do have the 5 speed which i prefer over the auto.plenty of power and 19 mpg on hiway,15 around town,even whan towing my friends excavatorat 110000 lbs,you can forget its behind you.

Krytin
10-04-2012, 07:03 AM
+1 on the 7.3 - there still isn't a 100% fix for the 6.0. The 6.0 injectors are a joke!

Blackened300a
10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Stay away from the 6.0! Notorious EGR cooler problems, nothing like pumping coolant through the exhaust or overflowing your oil with fuel. Plus the cooler is a complete PITA to get to because its located under the valve cover.

Jake
10-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I sell tow trucks and the 6.0 is junk! Besides, the engine sits under the cab cowl and any major repair dictates cab removal.

Go look at a Dodge. Its a much more reliable rig!

-

Blackened300a
10-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I sell tow trucks and the 6.0 is junk! Besides, the engine sits under the cab cowl and any major repair dictates cab removal.

-

In fact, Ford put in quick connects for the brake lines and electrical just so the cab can be removed easily.

Ozark Marauder
10-04-2012, 08:02 AM

-

I've had a few Ford trucks, '85 with the 300 six 4WD, My favorite, '97 Lariat, 4.6, good gas mileage, no grunt, '99 Lariat with the 5.4, great truck, 03 Lariat, 5.4, same great truck.

I drove a couple Ford diesels 6.0, and a couple of Dodge, Cummins 5.9 that a friend had in his landscape business fleet.

Personally liked the overall look of the Ford, but the Dodge Cummins was more torky. He had less mechanical problems with the Dodge, but they are butt ugly. Haven't driven either of the new engines for Ford or Dodge.

I suggest you drive both and make an informed decision. JMO.....

OZ

Timw286
10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Stay away from the 6.0! Notorious EGR cooler problems, nothing like pumping coolant through the exhaust or overflowing your oil with fuel. Plus the cooler is a complete PITA to get to because its located under the valve cover.

I don't have a problem spending a little money on PM beforehand. I was looking to have someone install the Bulletproof Diesel EGR Cooler and replace the EGR valve and the I could remove it every third oil change and give it a good cleaning. I'd like to do the EGR delete but I can't because of good ole' Massachusetts and it's smog rules...

imorb1994
10-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Not true its located under the intake manifold, which requires removal of oil/fuel filter assembly, turbo, and a few of the accessories.
Another thing which i forgot from earlier post is the Oil cooler which is also prone to failure. Which is below the EGR cooler and intake

Merrill
10-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Get the 7.3 and just make the truck look like you want. The money saved buying the older truck will go to the custom touches. You like different vehicles, hence the MM,check this out.

460mudsports
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
The orginal IDI 7.3s were nearly bulletproof, completely mechanical engines. The 7.3 powerstrokes are similar but they added computer controls and tempermental injectors. The 6.0s should not have been rejected during design and testing. I currently have 2 of the old 7.3 IDI engines in trucks and am happy with them. For more power and more current styling, I would go with a 2003 with a 7.3 powerstroke.

jon5212
10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Stay far away from the 6.0 powerjoke. The 7.3 yes they are reliable, but don't expect to pull anything too heavy as they are kind of gutless.

The newer cummins people complain a lot about the fuel mileage being crap.

The 06+ Duramax Chevy alot of people like.

Go2GuyFL
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Register with www.thedieselstop.com forum. Lots of good info. Mine is a '94 Ford F-350 7.3l IDI (pre-Power Stroke) 225k miles and never smokes.

Blown3.8
10-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I own a 05 excursion with the 6.0. Currently at 175k miles, I've owned since new. I had the head gaskets done at 100k with ARP studs.

They also did the cooler at 80k which didn't fix anything, still pushed coolant out the overflow. I ran the truck for 20k with blown gaskets towing a 28' trailer weighing about 8k.

I change the oil every 5k and changed the fuel filter on the frame rail for the first time at 144k, which they say was a big no no, should be done every 10k.

I also had injector codes on all 8 injectors at probably 120k which I read up on and decided to resolder the FICM(Fuel Injector Control Module) no problems since.

I have run the truck on the race tune since 12k miles except when towing the big trailer.

Only other thing I'm not sure about is going thru batteries every 2 years. But I am starting to plug it in when it gets cold out and leave it on the street tune when cold out, it starts quicker on that tune. And I try to charge the batts once a month to top them off. Oh also had the Alternator go out at 150k so I replaced that and the serp belt at the same time.

I wouldn't be scared of a later model 6.0 especially if its had the gaskets done with ARP studs.

I get 20mpg on the highway if I keep it around 65 my truck weighs 8k.

jabird56
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
When ever I had my 7.3 in for service, the techs have said "DON'T EVER GET RID OF THAT TRUCK!" I bought a DIABLO tuner for the 7.3 with 4 tunes in it to choose from. It's the difference between night and day. One tow tune and three performance tunes 60, 80, and 100 HP boost, I forget the respective lbs of torque.

Regarding the 6.0, the dealer here currently won't even take one in-trade......

OH YEA!, Welcome back.

Retired Navy here....

Go2GuyFL
10-04-2012, 08:30 PM
New tires and wheels:

71cyclone
10-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Right you are. My brother has 2 power stroke excrusions 04 05 both had Egr failures, oil pump failures ,and injector and turbo failures at around 180 thousand :bigcry: .We will see what happens with the new Scorpion in house build powerstrokes.