PDA

View Full Version : Put in the Spring Garden

Ross
02-24-2004, 08:43 AM
OK, sorry to rub it in for those of you who are still snowbound. After a couple of weeks of continual rainy, cold weather (well, cold for us), Spring hit last week. After a few days of sunny weather in the 70's, things were warm and dry enough for us to put in our Green Acres. Planted several different kinds of tomatoes, peppers (jalapenos, serranos, hot cherry peppers, bell peppers), and some climbing spinach. Herb garden has basil, oregano, thyme, mint and chive. Our two rosemary bushes are doing well from last year. One is about 3 feet high now, and the other is about a foot and a half. Cooking is one of my loves.

Dr Caleb
02-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Can you hear my jealousy? :)

I love to cook too, but things like peppers in the garden are out around here. The growing season is too short.

The rule is, don't plant anything before the May long weekend, or the frost will kill it. We won't even see dirt until the end of March at least . . .

ParkRanger
02-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Ross:

Nothing better then getting your hands into clean earth!! Except smoking a vehicle that dares to test the black beauty.

What do you use all the peppers for?

PR

:beer:

Ross
02-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Ranger, we use peppers in EVERYTHING! I always joke that my sweet wife Dawn will put jalapenos on her corn flakes! Also, besides using them in everyday cooking, I will make salsas and pico de gallo out of them.

Dr Caleb
02-24-2004, 09:50 AM
I had a friend up north who grew Habeneros indoors with grow lights. Frying a sliver into some Taco meat would be classified as a chemical weapon :)

Ross
02-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Habaneros are so sweet and innocent looking, at least until you dare to taste one!

ParkRanger
02-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Ranger, we use peppers in EVERYTHING! I always joke that my sweet wife Dawn will put jalapenos on her corn flakes! Also, besides using them in everyday cooking, I will make salsas and pico de gallo out of them.

I know what you mean. I love the flavor of peppers but my system is sensitive to them and can only enjoy them every now and then. When I was younger I loved them on all foods to combat a hangover.

Good luck on your crop. :up:

PR

:beer:

Ross
02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
For all pepper lovers www.jalapenocafe.com

CRUZTAKER
02-24-2004, 04:02 PM
That's a good deal Ross. I am surprised you didn't start a few weeks back.

You folks getting started means spring is on it's way here as well, and from my understanding, it moves northward at the rate of about 8 miles a day. Based on spring starting in Florida nearly a month ago, we got about 6-7 more weeks.

Ross
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Barry, we wanted to start on Valentine's day, but the past two weeks have been totally rainy. The garden was nothing but mud until we had a few sunny days last week. I wish we could have gotten a little bit more of a head start. It gets so hot here so soon that you need to get all of the vegetables as soon as you can before they just fry in the sun. Even watering them every day doesn't help past a certain point. But I'm not complaining, I'll take extreme heat over cold any day!

woaface
02-24-2004, 04:52 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm...

If you see a kid in a rabbit suit hopping around the yard....

Bigdogjim
02-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Hey Ross: How about coming to Indy and cooking for the crew:):):)

We could do a chile cook-off in the parking lot:lol:

Ross
02-25-2004, 07:35 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm...

If you see a kid in a rabbit suit hopping around the yard....

Be careful, if Mary sees you in a bunny suit she will adopt you!

Ross
02-25-2004, 07:38 AM
Hey Ross: How about coming to Indy and cooking for the crew:):):)

We could do a chile cook-off in the parking lot:lol:

BDJ, if we have a meet in Houston, I can barbeque for everyone. Kind of hard for me to tow my big pit around, though!