PDA

View Full Version : winter is comming!!

stevesoasis
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Going to be storing my MM in my garage for the winter, anyone have some advice and tips for storing? My garage is not heated. Thanks in advance :beer:

DOOM
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Battery tender.

And jack stands so you don't get flat spots on your wheels.

stevesoasis
10-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Should i use stabil aswell? If i start it up every couple of weeks do i still need a battery tender? I heard irish spring soap repells mice, any truth to that or should i use moth balls?

Curless
10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
DO NOT START IT UP...it will build up condensation in the mufflers and rot them out. Also NO STABIL try out http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Esilar
10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
DO NOT START IT UP...it will build up condensation in the mufflers and rot them out.

+1

Another question, today i found TiRE SHOES (https://www.autopyjama.com/ssl_index.php)
Beside the fact that these rubber pieces are rediculous expensive, would it help to avoid flat spots on the wheels? :confused:

a_d_a_m
10-10-2012, 02:26 PM
What month is it going in and what month is it coming out?

I store mine from December 1st until April 1st. Never used Sta-Bil or a battery tender, I just fill the tank with 93 and started it every couple weeks and let it get all the way to operating temperature. On nice DRY days I'll pull it out and run it up/down the driveway. Never had a problem with flatspotting - bias-ply tires were more prone to that than radials, plus with the car moving periodically I think that helps. And my mufflers look fine, too.

Now I know what you're saying - your storage methods must suck because your car dropped #8. But we both know that ain't related. :flamer:

jerrym3
10-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Drive it every now and then..

Aren't there any decent days when a car can be driven without going through slush, ice, snow?

If my 2003 retro TBird couldn't take a teeny bit of chemicals/salt/ice, etc, I shouldn't have bought it.

How long do I expect to keep my retro TBird anyway? It's already been ten years. [Not even close to my Galaxie's 44 years].

stevesoasis
10-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Im planning on storing the car from some time in november depending on weather until march/april. I have heard conflicting stories about stabil and will look into starbrite, thx Curless. I was planning on starting her up every couple weeks and going for a quick spin to get it up to temperature. From what ive read it seems you can run into more problems letting a car sit for the winter than just going out on dry winter days every couple weeks. Going to oil spray her very soon and there is zero rust so im not overly worried about a little salt. Thanks for all advice everyone.

a_d_a_m
10-11-2012, 01:25 PM
If you're going to do all that, then don't put ANYTHING in the tank but gasoline and you'll be okay.