PDA

View Full Version : Key West

mossiehorn
10-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Thinking about a winter cruise down to Key West, any advice on where to stay or eat. What are the gotta see's and do's there? Would likely only stay there a few days as I have to visit some other snowbirds in other parts of the state.
Thanks

boatmangc
10-13-2012, 09:56 PM
For food, one of my favorites down there is Bagatelle, I have been eating there for 30 years.
There are lots of choices as for what to do,and where to eat, museums and tours like the "Conch Tour Train"
(Pronounced konk I hear it pronounced wrong 30% of the time at least)
Mel Fisher Museum is an awesome tour, Audubon house, Hemingway House for starters.

Sunset Celebration is not to be missed, sunrises are spectacular too. Stargazing is big if you get out of town as there is really no ambient light and you get a great view.

Snorkel trips, sunset cruises, Fort Zachary Taylor in the Dry Tortugas.

Then there is always the "Duval Crawl" the local Key West bar tour. I betcha you can't finish one drink from all of the bars on Duval St. Certainly not walking!

If you are speaking of cruise in by car there is a lot of stops on the way down as well and an extremely scenic drive.

I have been blessed,to live here for over 27 years.

Cobra25
10-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Truly a Beautiful Place to Visit & Live. I haven't been down their in a long time. Truly one of the Top Must visits in South Florida.

boatmangc
10-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Key West has a couple of busy times where there are no hotels etc.
Plan ahead.
This month is Fantasy Fest. Lots of fun, lots of bare skin, no hotels to be found.
New Years is a riot too.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Key West has a couple of busy times where there are no hotels etc.
Plan ahead.
This month is Fantasy Fest. Lots of fun, lots of bare skin, no hotels to be found.
New Years is a riot too.

Boatman - You live in paradise.

We had a great time in the keys last April.

I would recommend that any traveler do the snorkeling at Robbie's of Islamorada.

Also, the food up and down the keys can't be beat.

I wouldn't, personally, spend too much time in Key West - 1 day is enough.

Too "touristy".

Just dig up the beautiful water and scenery.

MM2004
10-14-2012, 06:38 AM
I so need to make it back down there.

Laid back attitudes, great food, lots of drink and plenty to do.

Mike.

jabird56
10-14-2012, 07:34 AM
We'll be heading down there for an overnight-er in April. We will be in Palm Beach Shores for Spring Break (the wife is a teacher), and will be planning a two day trip down through the Keys. Did that 2 years ago and LOVED it.

Of course there's always Jimmy Buffet's Margaretteville down there is Key West

Ms. Denmark
10-14-2012, 07:39 AM
My cousin, a flight attendant, just got back from Sanibel and Captiva. She travels all over the world and the Keys are still her favorite get-a-way.

boatmangc
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah but living here is just like working at Disney
It is still where you work

My boat left the dock for recreation last on July 11

But then the MM has had a LOT of attention since then.
Wait until the new 5 car garage is done....maybe time to sell the boat NOT!!