PDA

View Full Version : Interesting analogy.....

tbone
10-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.

The fifth would pay $1.

The sixth would pay $3.

The seventh would pay $7.

The eighth would pay $12.

The ninth would pay $18.

The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that’s what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. “Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20. Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).

The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).

The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).

The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).

The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 ( 22% savings).

The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

“I only got a dollar out of the $20,”declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,” but he got $10!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man. “I only saved a dollar, too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more than I!”

“That’s true!!” shouted the seventh man. “Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison. “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!”

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

PonyUP
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Tom, I don't think starting a political discussion will go anywhere here. I've heard this analogy before, and it's a nice parable, but in the end there is a lot more to it than that. In the end, we have proven one thing on this board, we can't discuss it like adults.
For the minute a different point of view enters the discussion, that discussion devolves quickly.
I commend your passion, but don't think there is much ground to be gained by starting a political debate on this board.

Just my two cents

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

guspech750
10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey Tom, post it on The Chicago Garage man. Lots of political stuff there. Thats where I go. They dont lock up political posts there like here. You will get a much bigger discussion over there.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/

And they have tons of naked women pics in the Not Safe for Work section!! That by itself is full of WIN!!

tbone
10-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I could not resist this because it truly presents the reality of the situation we are presented with.

If you can't understand it, well, I'm sorry VP Biden......

Joe, I love you, but why no crap said over your avatar, but my thread is over the top?

tbone
10-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Tom, I don't think starting a political discussion will go anywhere here. I've heard this analogy before, and it's a nice parable, but in the end there is a lot more to it than that. In the end, we have proven one thing on this board, we can't discuss it like adults.
For the minute a different point of view enters the discussion, that discussion devolves quickly.
I commend your passion, but don't think there is much ground to be gained by starting a political debate on this board.

Just my two cents

I just posted an analogy. Take it for what it's worth. We all know it's true.

tbone
10-20-2012, 12:50 AM

Bradley G
10-20-2012, 01:17 AM
This post is full of win :)

guspech750
10-20-2012, 05:36 AM
You know how it is here with political stuff. Let's boogie on outa here and head over to The Chicago Garage.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Spectragod
10-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Just my two cents

I think we can discuss like adults, the problem is the far right and left always gets butthurt when the facts are pointed out.

I would say the analogy is 100% accurate.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-20-2012, 06:53 AM
I think that they should admit their drinking problem.

Step 1.
:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bigdogjim
10-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Do you think they ever heard of AA?

Of course the old saying goes.....I drink, I fall down, no problem...:lol:

WhatsUpDOHC
10-20-2012, 08:41 AM
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sailsmen
10-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Per the WSJ in the previous Fiscal Year 75% of the money the Fed Gov't borrowed was printed by the Fed Reserve. Why? Because no one in the World would loan us the money at the terms we wanted.
This means the financial collpase has already started. Can it be stopped? Yes, simply by rolling back Federal spending to 2008 level, when we had a Demo Congress and a Repub Pres. Alternately we maybe able to stop the financial collapse by cutting existing Federal spending 1% per year for each of the next 10 years.

Can we tax our way out of the Financial collapse? At just current growth rates Federal spending will equal GDP in 20 years. Federal spending is projected, due to changes in demographics, to INCREASE it's growth in spending rates.

With 49% of Federal Income tax filers not paying Federal Income tax, 50% of the population recieving a check from the Federal Gov't and 33% of the population on means tested Welfare we can no longer afford to give away money we don't have.

When the Financial collpase occurs it will disproportionately impact the poor and will be followed by WW due to the despots of the World rising up from an opportunity they will not let pass by.:mad:

kernie
10-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Hey Tom, post it on The Chicago Garage man. Lots of political stuff there. Thats where I go. They dont lock up political posts there like here. You will get a much bigger discussion over there.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/

And they have tons of naked women pics in the Not Safe for Work section!! That by itself is full of WIN!!

The 'guess her muff" link in the not "safe for work" section is a riot! Keep ya busy for days, lol.

How the elite get the not so {insert your own word here} to do their bidding with just one training channel is beyond me.

Guess politics are back. :argue::argue:

yjmud
10-20-2012, 02:37 PM
in before the lock

guspech750
10-20-2012, 03:29 PM
in before the lock

Ohhhhh. You said lock. I though you said c**k LOL.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

jerrym3
10-20-2012, 04:35 PM
I meet every now and then with two buddies of mine (from grammar school) that are staunch Conservatives. I was fortunate enough to wind up very financially secure (thanks mom and dad, RIP), while they aren't poor, but they aren't doing as well as I am.

Well, whenever the waiter/bartender brings the check, one guy always jokes "give it to Jerry. He has all the money".

Sure, I can pick up the tab, no problem.

But, if he accepts, doesn't that make him a Liberal? He's willing to take money from the "rich" to suport his lifestyle?

I love these guys (one of these guys and I were both in Ft Dix when JFK gave his Cuban blockade speech), they are my past, and since we've been friends since the 50's, I'm not going to start a p*****g contest, but I just think it's very telling........

Bluerauder
10-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, whenever the waiter/bartender brings the check, one guy always jokes "give it to Jerry. He has all the money".

Sure, I can pick up the tab, no problem.

But, if he accepts, doesn't that make him a Liberal? He's willing to take money from the "rich" to suport his lifestyle? ........

Not necessarily. He sounds more like a A-hole if he does this consistently. Its one thing for you to pick up the check out of generosity; but another to have it foisted on you every time. I think next time I would slide it in his direction and say "No, this time its on you." Let him think a bit about his rude behavior.

This must rub you at least a little or you wouldn't have mentioned it. When he/they come to expect the handout, then it is a problem.

MM2004
10-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Once again...

And until I am literally blue in the damn face.

I hate these threads. They go nowhere on this site. Mostly due to strong personalities, that will never change.

Period.

B!tch all you want, on another site that deals with politics.

Mike.