PDA

View Full Version : I'm a scofflaw and a wanton criminal

N40GL
10-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Apparently. At least the District of Columbia thinks so. Consider the evidence from some of the hundreds of speed cameras in the District:

April: Cited for 58 in a 55 (I-295, near Bolling AFB). $125

May: Cited for 39 in a 35 (Wisconsin Ave., above Georgetown). $125

June: Cited for 28 in a 25 (Georgia Avenue, just inside the District, looking for parking). $125

I tried to reform my ways and end my crime wave, when:

August: Cited for 27 in a 25 (U Street, near 13th). $125

This is, I think, every visit to the District I've made in 2012.

According to the various statutes, these aren't moving violations unless you go to court. They cite the car and car's owner, but not by Drivers License number. It's all tied to the license plate. But it's clear that the cameras are all about revenue generation (they purportedly raised $12M in fiscal 2011), and getting me to buy a set of tires for a city vehicle, and not about enforcing laws.

Then I found and invested in this: http://www.nophoto.com/ I'm hoping it will prove useful as soon as I get one.

The point of all this was to call this invention to your attention, which I literally just stumbled upon (through www.stumbleupon.com, believe it or not). No endorsements or commercials - I'm not connected to it in any way except that I invested in it. But I thought the members might want to know.

In the meantime, I and my car are staying out of the District in order to protect children, the elderly and pets (and my wallet). I can always take Metro (slogan: "We take you from where you aren't to where you don't want to be.").

Comin' in Hot
10-20-2012, 07:18 AM
that's not right..... no warning and it's not like you were really speeding.

sailsmen
10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
There are over 300,000 Federal Laws of which 4,600 are Criminal. Since the Magna Carta criminal laws required mal intent. Today that is no longer the case, more and more criminal laws are being passed that do not require criminal intent.

Try to appeal or have your day in court due to a traffic camera violation, in most cases it ain't going to happen.

With total Gov't spending at ~42% of GDP we are all economically enslaved.

We are all imprisoned we just cannot see the bars.

whitey
10-20-2012, 07:31 AM
speeding is speeding!.....:rolleyes:, seriously, thats ******** and ridiculous

Krytin
10-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Let me know how you make out w/nophoto frame - it looks cutting edge and the technology appears sound but I'de like to know how well it really works.

Bigdogjim
10-20-2012, 07:36 AM
According to the various statutes, these aren't moving violations unless you go to court. They cite the car and car's owner, but not by Drivers License number. It's all tied to the license plate. But it's clear that the cameras are all about revenue generation (they purportedly raised $12M in fiscal 2011), and getting me to buy a set of tires for a city vehicle, and not about enforcing laws.

They must split the fine between the Company that puts the camera in place and then there is the support staff, people the review the pictures and they trackdown the plate owner and imput the info into a computer so it can send you the greeting:):eek:

They suck! Big time!! So we need to smart about dealing with them.:help:

I am told that hair spray still works? Also in my Town the Police are starting to crack down on any kind of clear cover over the plate.:flamer:

Marauderman
10-20-2012, 07:50 AM
crack down on any kind of clear cover over the plate.:flamer:

IN NC and Ga., its against the law to have ANY cover over your rear license plate--period---and they will pull you for it---cause I have been .....duh!

breeze
10-20-2012, 08:06 AM
I was going to Adams Morgan one snowy night and made a right turn on red camera took picture as I ran it $150 fine. I sent them a letter pleading my case and haven't heard back. No news us good news.

Krytin
10-20-2012, 12:48 PM
IN NC and Ga., its against the law to have ANY cover over your rear license plate--period---and they will pull you for it---cause I have been .....duh!

Covers are illeagal in most states. This is a frame w/a strobe flash that overexposes the plate when a picture is being taken - a novel way around the covers that are illeagal (if it works)!

Bigdogjim
10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Just use hair spray? It's a whole lot cheaper:)

ajdereicup
10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I really want to see if this works. And I'm guessing it'd work for red light cameras too. Bastards. Then I get a warning for an obstructed plate. Its not obstructed from anyone but the cameras the way it was bent so whats so bad about that?:P

Shaijack
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Great idea if you speed. Some of the tickets were chickenshxt. I just run without plates when I want to run red lights.

GAMike
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Don't know why you need one Tom:eek:.. You drive faster than any stinkin camera can snap a photo of ya:burnout:

PonyUP
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't know why you need one Tom:eek:.. You drive faster than any stinkin camera can snap a photo of ya:burnout:

Hello pot, this is kettle, you're black. Do believe I was pacing you on 285 today at about 90

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Bluerauder
10-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Apparently. At least the District of Columbia thinks so.

DC has to cover the losses from fraud and embezzlement some how. ;) Their fiscal controls are nearly non-existent. There are more leaks and drips in the system that allows millions to flow out the doors into the hands of the unscrupulous. If your plumbing had that many leaks, it would be condemned.

How else could DC spend $20K per student and still have the lowest educational performance in the country? Everything they buy is valued at 50 cents on the dollar unless they can get less. :rolleyes:

Some of those tickets are pretty chickenshit. But after 4 times, you have been warned. Be particularly wary on the stretch of I-295 through Anacostia. DC police patrol that road regularly looking to collect fines from VA, MD and out of state drivers.

GAMike
10-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Hello pot, this is kettle, you're black. Do believe I was pacing you on 285 today at about 90

I was just clearing the way for ya is all:) I know you were making googly eyes into the phone with a certain someone... Or rockin out to VH and may not have been payin attention to your speed..... Just did not want anything to happen to ya:bows:

Mission accomplished:P

PonyUP
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I was just clearing the way for ya is all:) I know you were making googly eyes into the phone with a certain someone... Or rockin out to VH and may not have been payin attention to your speed..... Just did not want anything to happen to ya:bows:

Mission accomplished:P

Good looking out bro 👍

WhatsUpDOHC
10-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Same thing happened to me in DC: Dinged for 63 in a 50. Total BS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MyTMerc
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
They are OUT OF STOCK :(

A family member driving my car recently got tagged on 1-295 N for 11MPH over. The letter said the camera was activated at 10MPH over.

DEFYANT
10-21-2012, 04:45 PM
We the people.......

Get it together and tell the law makers to end this. Elect the right candidates to support ending speed cameras!

Bigdogjim
10-21-2012, 05:43 PM
We the people.......

Get it together and tell the law makers to end this. Elect the right candidates to support ending speed cameras!

Plus 1 on this! :up:

cruzer
10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Ask for a test--have a police officer try to maintain a speed within 2-4 miles per hour in traffic---if you are using due diligence to observe other traffic and your surroundings, I think they will find they can't do it-----just a thought. I tried it all day today and I cannot do it---and cruise control is very erratic at these speeds. Good luck, Maury

Haggis
10-22-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm a scofflaw and a wanton criminal. Apparently. At least the District of Columbia thinks so. Consider the evidence from some of the hundreds of speed cameras in the District.

Yes you are. :bows:

N40GL
10-22-2012, 09:12 AM
All good suggestions, but the unfortunate part is that, once I challenge these citations in traffic court, I admit I was driving the car at the time and they all become both (1) moving violations, and (2) reckless driving (because DC's version of 'reckless' is so weak, it is routinely attached to all traffic citations). This is because, as part of the challenge process, I admit the car was mine and that I was driving. My my drivers license number now becomes part of all the citations, and therefore the points accrue to my record.

It's really a great system - cite the owner of the car for the violation (via a camera, not a human), and then make it a risk to challenge the violation (because the guilty verdict, once confirmed by the court, is now attached to a particular driver, who also gets all the negative points). The only way to avoid all this is to pay the fine, because it never provides a foundation for points to be assessed against a drivers license.

And, as an earlier poster pointed out (somewhat tongue in cheek): 'speeding is speeding.' What would I say? "Yes, your honor, I was doing 28 in a 25. It just isn't fair that I got caught! <whine>"

Haggis
10-22-2012, 10:05 AM
And, as an earlier poster pointed out (somewhat tongue in cheek): 'speeding is speeding.' What would I say? "Yes, your honor, I was doing 28 in a 25. It just isn't fair that I got caught! <whine>"

For now on drive 5 under. You reckless driver you!!!!! :rofl:

vkirkend
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Apparently. At least the District of Columbia thinks so. Consider the evidence from some of the hundreds of speed cameras in the District:

June: Cited for 28 in a 25 (Georgia Avenue, just inside the District, looking for parking). $125

Then I found and invested in this: http://www.nophoto.com/ I'm hoping it will prove useful as soon as I get one.

The point of all this was to call this invention to your attention, which I literally just stumbled upon (through www.stumbleupon.com (http://www.stumbleupon.com), believe it or not). No endorsements or commercials - I'm not connected to it in any way except that I invested in it. But I thought the members might want to know.

In the meantime, I and my car are staying out of the District in order to protect children, the elderly and pets (and my wallet). I can always take Metro (slogan: "We take you from where you aren't to where you don't want to be.").

Hope it works but i think it won't.....

DOOM
10-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Mark that can't be right!

$125.00 tickets for doing 3-4 miles over the speed limit??? The cameras shouldn't even be going off at that low of a speed.

I drive in D.C. EVERY WEEK!

I drive by speed cameras all the time normally doing 5mph over and never get a ticket! New York Ave, Fla. Ave, 9th. Street tunnel and 295. Never get a ticket.

For example if the speed limit is 35mph I will go through doing 40-42mph and the cameras don't go off.

sailsmen
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
The biggest scams are the red light cameras. Several national studies were done that showed if you increased the duration of the yellow by.5 seconds almost all red lights runs are eliminated.
There was a court case in our area where it was proved the yellows were shortened when the red light camers were installed. They were forced to put the time back on the yellows but they were caught again when it was found out the cameras were set to go off while the lights were yellow.
With total Gov't spending at ~42% of GDP in in our State 1 out of 17 work for State/Local Gov't this is nothing but a money grabbing scam.
I say march and throw every sitting politician out of office while implementing single term limits for all. No more getting elected as a pauper and retiring as a multi-millionaire.

Mr. Man
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Find out the names of the corporate officers who run the cameras (I know you have access to this) and put their names on the TSA lists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvH-7lcjb0 <Sums it up Mark;)

TFB
10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd be temped to get a rental and go riding through the city late at night with home made FU DC plates on it...

ajdereicup
10-22-2012, 04:39 PM
^^^Just imagine the people who have to look through the pics manually to send out the tickets seeing a whole bunch of pics of the plate. Either pissed off or laughing their @$$es off

Bluerauder
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
The biggest scams are the red light cameras. Several national studies were done that showed if you increased the duration of the yellow by.5 seconds almost all red lights runs are eliminated.

I don't believe it. :rolleyes: It basically assumes that the public won't adjust to take advantage of that extra 0.5 second. From my experience here in Northern Virginia, adding an extra 2-3 seconds wouldn't make much difference either. Most of what I have seen is people running a "Dead Red" (in my father's words) that has been Red for a second or two before they enter the intersection.

At 45 MPH (66 feet per second), that 0.5 second will only buy 33 feet of travel. That is barely enough to cover a single two-lane intersection. Not enough to travel completely through a 4-lane intersection like most of those in this area. Red Light cameras mounted in Fairfax, VA at intersections with high incidents of red light accidents have demonstrated that they DO reduce accidents. That's a good thing.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
No hijack intended......

When I lived in G'Ville (Rex, Help me here), I was told:

Before going on green, count to five because locals count to three before running the red.....

Scary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ajdereicup
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Red Light cameras mounted in Fairfax, VA at intersections with high incidents of red light accidents have demonstrated that they DO reduce accidents. That's a good thing.

I think I heard a few places they cause more accidents then they prevent in the city because people slam on the brakes when they see yellow and people slam into the back of them:shake: Some people just don't know how to drive:P

sailsmen
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
The point is the cameras are solely for making money. They have nothing to do with reducing red lights being run. Most cameras are in urban areas.
Effect of Yellow-Interval Timing on Red-Light-Violation Frequency at Urban Intersections

Author: James A. Bonneson, P.E.
Research Engineer
(979) 845-9906
fax: (979) 845-6254
j-bonneson@tamu.edu

Karl H. Zimmerman
Assistant Research Scientist
k-zimmerman@tamu.edu

Texas Transportation Institute
The Texas A&M University System
3135 TAMU College Station, TX 77843-3135

Submitted for Consideration of Presentation and Publication at:
Transportation Research Board
83rd Annual Meeting
January 2004
Washington, D.C.

July 29, 2003

ABSTRACT
Statistics indicate that red-light-running has become a significant safety problem throughout the United States. It is estimated that about 200,000 red-light-running-related collisions occur at signalized intersections in the U.S. each year. There is a wide range of potential countermeasures to the red-light-running problem. The objective of this research is to quantify the effectiveness of an increase in yellow interval duration as an engineering countermeasure to red-light violations.

A before-after study is described and the resulting data used to quantify the effect of increasing the yellow interval on the frequency of red-light violations. Based on this research, it was concluded that:
1.An increase of 0.5 to 1.5 s in yellow duration (such that it does not exceed 5.5 s) will decrease the frequency of red-light-running by at least 50 percent;
2.Drivers do adapt to the increase in yellow duration; however, this adaptation does not undo the benefit of an increase in yellow duration;
3.Increasing a yellow interval that is shorter than that obtained from a proposed recommended practice published by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) is likely to yield the greatest return (in terms of a reduced number of red-light violations) relative to the cost of retiming a yellow interval in the field.

Click here for a full copy of the study http://www.motorists.org/red-light-cameras/TRB2004-1228.pdf

sailsmen
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
California: Longer Yellows Nearly Eliminate Violations
Straight through violations drop 92 percent after yellow lights are extended by one second in Loma Linda, California.

Redflex Traffic Systems of Australia succeeded last week in blocking efforts to end red light camera ticketing in Loma Linda, California. While several members of the city council expressed a desire to uproot the automated ticketing machines, Redflex insisted that could not be done unless the city paid $534,558 in early termination penalties. The council declined to take any action at its February meeting.

The problems began after the city extended the duration of yellow lights in November. This engineering enhancement reduced the number of straight through violations to drop to near zero with the consequence that only citations for rolling right-hand turns remained. With a pricetag of $456 for each of these citations, the council had been hit with complaints about such a stiff fine for a type of violation that does not cause accidents.

"I have received a number of complaints and emails from individuals," Councilman Ovidu Popescu said. "They teach you in business that for one complaint, that's at least ten individuals who are very upset."

Popescu and Councilman Rhodes Rigsby led the charge to terminate the camera contract immediately because the program enraged constituents without providing any safety benefit.

"I'm not sure the statistics when it comes to auto accidents -- it doesn't show a decrease in accidents," Rigsby said. "If we're going to fine our visitors and our citizens $12 or $14 million over four years, we should at least expect a safety benefit, and I just don't see it."

The council, on the other hand, was extremely pleased with the results of lengthening yellow lights by one second in November. The number of left-turn violations dropped 80 to 85 percent from about 240 monthly violations to about 25 or 30 a month immediately after the change. Straight through violations were reduced 92 percent.

"Lengthening yellow lights has produced a tremendous drop in violations," Rigsby said. "The statistics from January are very telling. For four intersections, there were five straight through violations in total. That is tremendous improvement in safety. We're talking about huge success of lengthening the yellow lights... We could have had that safety with lengthening the yellow four years ago instead of installing red light cameras."

Councilman Floyd Petersen wanted to know why city staff never tried lengthening yellow before.

"Councilman Rigsby brought up the issue and pushed on it really hard," Petersen said. "We have a whole profession out there called traffic engineers. We pay these people a lot of money to figure out the best way to set up the lights. Where are these people? Why haven't they ever suggested lengthening the yellow light? What's the deal? They aren't being paid off by the camera people, are they?"

City staff defended the idea of keeping the cameras and endorsed short yellows.

"If you lengthen the yellow light, you reduce the green light," Public Works Director T. Jarb Thaipejr said. "So then I will get a call from someone who said, 'I waited so long at the red light.' The whole idea of traffic engineering is to move the traffic."

Popescu vowed to bring early termination to a vote next month. The contract will expire on its own in December.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/30/3055.asp

sailsmen
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 12, 2001
608-849-6000 or nma@motorists.org

Red Light Citations Drop Below One Per Day
Increasing Yellow Light Time at Fairfax Red Light Camera Intersection Results in 94 percent Drop in "Red Light Violations."

Eric Skrum, Communications Director for the National Motorists Association said, "Records from Fairfax County show that increasing the time of yellow lights significantly decreases the number of red light violations. The Virginia Department of Transportation increased the yellow time on the traffic lights at US50 and Fair Ridge Drive by 1.50 seconds on March 26, 2001. This increase in yellow time from 4.00 seconds to 5.50 seconds resulted in a 94 percent drop in citations, less than one per day, at this red light camera enforced location."

Skrum continued, "Fairfax County records show that 'events,' red light violations, captured by the camera fell from an average daily rate of 52.1 per day before the yellow time increase to just 2 per day afterwards, a reduction of 94 percent.

"Fairfax County records also show that citations being issued dropped to just 0.82 citations a day on average during the 67 days after the yellow time was increased.

"This camera was activated February 8, 2001 by Lockheed Martin under an agreement with Fairfax County. The Virginia Department of Transportation is responsible for operating these signals. The decision to install a red light camera at this intersection confirms that this intersection was considered a location of serious violations with increased potential for accidents.

"This experience should prove to any skeptic that sound engineering practices, not only work, but are preferable to exploiting motorists through the use of ticket cameras and related automated enforcement devices," Skrum concluded.

Fairfax County red light camera enforcement records were received from Fairfax County on July 9, 2001 by the National Motorists Association. Those records reflected camera enforcement data through the end of May, 2001 and were the most current and complete records available on the day of receipt (as stated by Fairfax County officials). It should also be noted that the average daily traffic in this intersection is approximately 74,000 vehicles per day.
Update

It should be noted that proponents of red light cameras have been wrongfully using this intersection as an example that lengthening yellow light times has a minimal safety effect. They claim drivers adjust to the light increase over time.

This is deliberately misleading.

There are various studies that have shown that drivers do not negatively adjust to longer light times. You can find a list of these studies by clicking here.

The intersection of US 50 and Fair Ridge Drive was averaging 250 validated citations per month for the two months before the yellow lights were lengthened. For the next 18 months, the average number of citations was 15 per month, a decrease of 94 percent. The camera was then taken offline for eight months.

The cameras were then reactivated. During the subsequent 17 months, the average number of validated citations has been 26 per month.

This may be higher than 15 per month, but it is drastically lower than 250 per month, which is what it was before the increase in yellow light time.

This is still a 90 percent decrease in violations since the yellow lights were lengthened 43 months earlier.

Additionally, none of these numbers take into account traffic volume. This is an area that is experiencing very rapid population growth, which would suggest that the traffic volume is up. This could explain the slight increase.

MrBluGruv
10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
You gotta be either pretty damn hard up for cash or pretty damn greedy to cite people for going 2mph over the posted speed limit. At that rate, I'd be going 5 under everywhere I went just to remove the possibility that the accuracy of my speedometer couldn't get me screwed over by my local police "protection".

yjmud
10-23-2012, 06:23 AM
You gotta be either pretty damn hard up for cash or pretty damn greedy to cite people for going 2mph over the posted speed limit. At that rate, I'd be going 5 under everywhere I went just to remove the possibility that the accuracy of my speedometer couldn't get me screwed over by my local police "protection".

by me they keep sending out the ones for the "Illegal right on red" where you stop and turn legally on red but they send out the ticket for it
the city by me openly admitted that they needed to move their cameras because they were not making enough money on them oh they make the road very dangerous I have seen people get into abs stops soon as the light changed to yellow

Bigdogjim
10-23-2012, 06:45 AM
You know one way to stop to the red light camera issue is for everone that get a ticket in the mail request a hearing. In about 3 months the Courts will be backed-up the azz with cases, meaning they will have to extend hours and/or hire more personal. Then will have to re-think the whole camera thing.

Hit them in the wallet like thay are hitting us:)