PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Day At the Races!

sailsmen
10-20-2012, 09:45 PM
MIAMI (WSVN) -- Police said three people were killed after a bad crash in Miami overnight.

Officials said a two-door Scion collided into a sport utility vehicle with a family inside, westbound on Flagler Street. Police believe the Scion along with two other cars were involved in illegal drag racing.

The Scion was believed to have reached speeds of 100 miles per hour, 70 miles over the speed limit.

Police said a father, Jose and his 15-year-old son were killed in the crash. Jose died on his way to the hospital, while his oldest died on impact.

Paramedics rushed the mother, Carmen and the couple's 12-year-old son to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

"The younger one who survived the accident," said neighbor Ivan Izquierda, "a few years ago he survived leukemia, so he's a fighter."

Family members of the family involved in the tragic accident have flown in from Cuba and have spent hours at the hospital. Both mother and son will need surgery before they can continue on to the next step of recovery.

Police are looking for a black Chevy Impala which they believe was involved in the accident.

A passenger in one of the other cars was also killed.

If you have any information regarding this accident, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a reward.

(Copyright 2012 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21008843428930/3-killed-in-crash/#ixzz29uCmhsOA

Spectragod
10-21-2012, 05:41 AM
That's a tragic story. but the problem I have with it is the media, it seems that when ever one of these tragedy's happen, the car was always going over 100 mph, couple that with it was a Scion in a 30mph zone, I am not sure those speeds could be attained quickly in a car like that. Just sayin'

GAMike
10-21-2012, 06:51 AM
That's a tragic story. but the problem I have with it is the media, it seems that when ever one of these tragedy's happen, the car was always going over 100 mph, couple that with it was a Scion in a 30mph zone, I am not sure those speeds could be attained quickly in a car like that. Just sayin'

What you are really sayin is one never knows if/when the media (and sometimes police spokespeople) is peppering stories to make them more outragious, when the story itself is more than sufficient in its actual content........

I could not agree more Spectragod...... Its a problem I have had with media coverage of all different types of stories for a long time. Its a huge credibility thing and I think the more it happens the more desensitized people get........

Bigdogjim
10-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Remember the media's is to get the print to sell, TV to be watched and internet news to read. So if the headline does not sizzle then the story will not be read. Of course the contents can be spiced up a bit also.

Any way it a shame for such a tragic loss of life. Public highways are not for racing time and again this happends, just sad.

Merrill
10-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Frequently it is just laziness on the medias part. They take a picture of the aftermath and make the story fit . I have personally seen an event where a motorcycle cop was killed in a collision, the reporters never interviewed a single witness and the published story was nowhere near what had happened.

RF Overlord
10-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Before we tar all media with the same brush, the story doesn't say what kind of SUV...I've seen plenty of so-called "crossover" vehicles that are classified as SUVs that look like they'd crumple if hit by a Smart car. Couple this with the fact that Scions are being advertised as "tuner" cars, so I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of go-fast parts available and it's entirely possible the car in the story could have been going that fast. Even if they were only going 50 or 60, in the right circumstances, that's plenty fast enough to cause serious injury or death.

GAMike
10-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Before we tar all media with the same brush, the story doesn't say what kind of SUV...I've seen plenty of so-called "crossover" vehicles that are classified as SUVs that look like they'd crumple if hit by a Smart car. Couple this with the fact that Scions are being advertised as "tuner" cars, so I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of go-fast parts available and it's entirely possible the car in the story could have been going that fast. Even if they were only going 50 or 60, in the right circumstances, that's plenty fast enough to cause serious injury or death.

True on all counts RF...

Spectragod
10-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Very true, but I have also taken witness statements, and got the "he was going at least 100mph", that's great till we read the cars computer and measure skid marks, only to find out they were going 57mph.

Then just the opposite of the coin, one of our locals rear ended a tree with a new marked unit, while we couldn't read the parameters in the PCM, we did get a unit of measurement from the DERM module, it was a non airbag event, and it was a 13g impact to the rear, of course the officer said he was only going 35mph..... or was it 93, as the DERM would suggest based on the g forces present and the conditions, of course, this was in reverse.:shake:

You just don't know who to believe these days.

sailsmen
10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Based on how several major news outlets have edited tapes to completely change what people have said I don't believe what any of them put out.

Vortech347
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM

Depends on length of road, Mods on the car, ect..

Its sad and upsetting. It pisses me off that racers now days have 0 common sense. Back when I street raced we went to area's out in the middle of no where. If we hit anything it was because our cars went off the road or a rabbit ran out in front of us. Street racing in the city beyond a little 1st gear romp is STUPID. Even now when a few of us get together we still go out to the middle of no where for a few friendly pulls.