PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Perfect Storm Alert

Pat
10-26-2012, 01:22 AM
I know you guys on the East coast are watching the perfect storm forecast for end of Oct, early November.

So my two driveways are open for anyone who wants to trek 1300 miles, more or less, to move your Marauders out of harms way.

I know you can't do it, but this is just to let you know we are aware that your facing a big storm that may last for a while. Fingers crossed.

Regards

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 03:36 AM
I'm cleaning out the garage!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bluerauder
10-26-2012, 03:50 AM
I know you guys on the East coast are watching the perfect storm forecast for end of Oct, early November.

Looks like a direct hit with landfall between Ocean City, MD and Cape May, NJ (about 50 miles). Winds of 80 MPH and rainfalls totalling 6-8 inches. Expect lots of flooding, power outages, and fallen trees. If it stalls in Central PA, it will definitely impact flows on the Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers and all of their feeder tributaries. Dover, DE; Annapolis, MD; Baltimore, MD; and York, PA are on the inland route.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 03:56 AM
If it hits west of CM and there's a storm surge up the Delaware Bay and River...

Will be interesting.

Good thing that I'm 16 ft. above sea level! :(

Haggis
10-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Snow blower check. Snow plow check. Compound secure check. Shutters check. Sump pump x2 plus reserve check. Battery backup check. Sandbags check. Food & water check. Grill & propane check. Firearms & ammo check. Siphon hoses check. Extra blankets & clothes in water tight bags check. Scuba gear check. Floatation devices check.

martyo
10-26-2012, 04:40 AM
I cancelled my trip to NY. I miss home but I don't want to get stuck there when everything turns to chit!

Papillon
10-26-2012, 05:02 AM
The news channel this morning said "I'll pack as much punch as Irene did" which, in the NYC/5 borough area, wasn't much. Lets hope it's just more weatherman over-hyped hoopla.

Pat
10-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Gordon, you are a logistics wonder.

Did you learn that from Rex? :D

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 06:36 AM
He's missing "Beverages" and ice.

Bluerauder
10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
The news channel this morning said "I'll pack as much punch as Irene did" which, in the NYC/5 borough area, wasn't much. Lets hope it's just more weatherman over-hyped hoopla.

Could be; but I wouldn't count on it. Based on the archived track from Irene (August 2011), the storm passed east of Long Island, NY and had been downgraded to Tropical Storm level just before it reached NY. You were on the weak side of the eye of the storm. This time you will be on the strong side where winds are higher and surges will be more noticeble.

Haggis
10-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Gordon, you are a logistics wonder.

Did you learn that from Rex? :D

Dad and the military.

Haggis
10-26-2012, 07:00 AM
He's missing "Beverages" and ice.

Damn you are right Mark, liquor cabnet is always stocked. But, will stop by the store on the way home to pick up some extra goodies.

Liquor check. Beer check. Wine check. Mixers check. Ice is being made check.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Damn you are right Mark, liquor cabnet is always stocked. But, will stop by the store on the way home to pick up some extra goodies.

Liquor check. Beer check. Wine check. Mixers check. Ice is being made check.
I've got your back, buddy.

Papillon
10-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Could be; but I wouldn't count on it. Based on the archived track from Irene (August 2011), the storm passed east of Long Island, NY and had been downgraded to Tropical Storm level just before it reached NY. You were on the weak side of the eye of the storm. This time you will be on the strong side where winds are higher and surges will be more noticeble.

Great... I guess I'll need more than gummy worms, ice cream, Oreos and wine to ride this storm out :depress:

Haggis
10-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Great... I guess I'll need more than gummy worms, ice cream, Oreos and wine to ride this storm out :depress:

Yea, toliet paper and milk.

Papillon
10-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Yea, toliet paper and milk.

Of course milk! What else am I gonna dunk my Oreos in?! :rolleyes: Lol

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 08:17 AM
It is being call "Frankenstorm" Got my generator all ready!

So hit me with your best shot sandy.

Haggis
10-26-2012, 08:28 AM

I thought the storm was called "Sandy"?

vkirkend
10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
snow blower check. Snow plow check. Compound secure check. Shutters check. Sump pump x2 plus reserve check. Battery backup check. Sandbags check. Food & water check. Grill & propane check. Firearms & ammo check. Siphon hoses check. Extra blankets & clothes in water tight bags check. Scuba gear check. Floatation devices check.

good lord!!!!!

sailsmen
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Good luck with Hurricane Sandy.

Have plenty of water to drink. A tornado safe room, usually an interior bathroom, that you have told your neighbor where it is for rescue.

Usually the order of the threats is Wind followed by Storm Surge followed by Flooding from rain. Trees can fall after the first few gusts and again after the wind is gone when the ground becomes rain soaked.

Fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets, which should be kept to a min to prevent back up.

Good luck!

Papillon
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM

I thought the storm was called "Sandy"?

"Frankenstorm" is the combination of Sandy moving up from the south, a cold front coming over from the west and an arctic chill moving down from the north.

http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/25/rare-hybrid-storm-predicted-to-slam-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3&pLid=225511

Haggis
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
"Frankenstorm" is the combination of Sandy moving up from the south, a cold front coming over from the west and an arctic chill moving down from the north.

http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/25/rare-hybrid-storm-predicted-to-slam-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3&pLid=225511

Then why can't they call it 'FrankenSandy'?

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Because they want to confuse you :lol:

This way they figure you will not know what they talking about:laugh:

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Have plenty of water to drink. A tornado safe room, usually an interior bathroom, that you have told your neighbor where it is for rescue.

Usually the order of the threats is Wind followed by Storm Surge followed by Flooding from rain. Trees can fall after the first few gusts and again after the wind is gone when the ground becomes rain soaked.

Fill the tubs with water to flush the toilets, which should be kept to a min to prevent back up.

Good luck!
Thanks some real good points here, I don't think torando's are a big factor on the East Coast however straight line wind as they are called did do a lot of damage back in '03 to Ewing Twp., NJ.I belive I was at MV-I when that took place.

Mr. Man
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
It's all insured and I'm 1 hurricane from living in the house I really want.:D

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
It's all insured and I'm 1 hurricane from living in the house I really want.:D

I know where your comming from however that a hell of way to get there.

slickster
10-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I like how I am in Annapolis Maryland but good thing I store it the Marauder back in South Carolina also everybody should gas up

MM03MOK
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
It's all insured and I'm 1 hurricane from living in the house I really want.:D:laugh: I laughed outloud!!

MM03MOK
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
It's all insured and I'm 1 hurricane from living in the house I really want.:D:laugh: I laughed outloud!!

Ken
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Liquor check. Beer check. Wine check. Mixers check. Ice is being made check.What time is the party? Call if you need me to pick something up. The van's empty, I can swing through KY on the way and pick up a truckload of Bourbon Cream! :banana2:

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
What time is the party? Call if you need me to pick something up. The van's empty, I can swing through KY on the way and pick up a truckload of Bourbon Cream! :banana2:
Now that my friends is a real friend:up:

BirchMarauder
10-26-2012, 12:20 PM
hopefully there wont be another Andrea Gail situation. I might watch the movie this weekend though.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Frank & Sandy are getting married???

Why am I always the last to know? :(:confused::confused:

Papillon
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
So now they're stressing this ISN'T being over-hyped!

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/frankenstorm--hurricane-sandy-hype-overhyped.html

:eek: Run for cover! :run:

Mark B.
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm here in Palatka, Fl., where it's windy with some rain,
but nothing serious. I keep hearing it may be a different story
when it travels north.
Please be careful, be prepared, be safe, and be well.
Mark B.

Ladyhawke
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
What time is the party? Call if you need me to pick something up. The van's empty, I can swing through KY on the way and pick up a truckload of Bourbon Cream! :banana2:

When you get here.

Marauderjack
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Be careful what you ask for Jim!!!:rolleyes:

Drewstang
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm waiting for Mike to jump in and say something about the storm being named Sandy.

jerrym3
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Worst case, possible 15' water surge up the Hudson.

By/by lower Manhatten subways and the NJ Hudson River "gold coast". Markets will be affected if the worst happens.

I've got everything in the backyard tied down, my two "toys" are in the garage, I have plenty of magazines, but I'm a little concerned about my Explorer and my wife's Lincoln LS.

Bigdogjim
10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Be careful what you ask for Jim!!!:rolleyes:

No Sir: Not wishing at all.

Just refuse of worry about something I have no control over. I am prep and ready and now have two back-up vehicles to help out:P

One is a tri-axle dump truck that will go through almost anything:)

I also have a coach standing that a friend dopped off:confused:

See you in a few days:beer:

RacerX
10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
You bunch of pansies. The "Perfect Storm" just got worse for me!!! :mad2:I just saw staging being put up at a Jr. High less than a mile from me. Yep! Obama speaking @ 2:15 tomorrow right around the corner from me. It's going to be total gridlock around here tomorrow. :censor: I would go if it was Romney! :beer: :lol: IBTL!!!

WhatsUpDOHC
10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Anyone live near Snowshoe in WV?

If so, break out the snow rakes and skis.

The Weather Channel just suggested that weather models showed 1.5-2ft if snow. I'm guessing WET/HEAVY.

wickedmerc
10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
It's times like these I wish I had a garage for my toys. They're gonna have to rough it through this mess. Gotta get them to higher ground, with no trees, tomorrow. :sweat:

Shaijack
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I have been throught the hurricanes and I do feel for you guys and gals. If the chit hits the fan let me know and I can bring you supplies, food, booze and water.
Mike I agree with you. I am planning my next house right now.

breeze
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
On call for overtime. And the car well, I goit insurance

WhatsUpDOHC
10-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Kyle (IWantMyMMNow)

Why aren't you weighing in on this?

What do your tracking calculations show?

Mark

Mebot
10-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Anyone live near Snowshoe in WV?

If so, break out the snow rakes and skis.

The Weather Channel just suggested that weather models showed 1.5-2ft if snow. I'm guessing WET/HEAVY.

snowshoe is about an hour & half away. Canaan Valley is 2 & ski liberty hour 1/2

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

Ken
10-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm waiting for Mike to jump in and say something about the storm being named Sandy.:rofl::rofl:

RacerX
10-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm waiting for Mike to jump in and say something about the storm being named Sandy.
:D Destroyer of lives, wrecker of homes...

Mr. Man
10-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Weather in motion shows the storm from the West going north of NJ into NE and the storm down South is currently hitting SC. It will most likely head West then turn North and dump rain on the NJ area. Don't see it dumping much snow in the NJ area as the temps are to warm. If it does it will be brief and will most likely melt quickly in the rain.

Marauderjack
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
We are currently experiencing winds 15-20 knots out of the North with overcast conditions but ZERO rain and we sure need it!!:(

If it takes the 90 degree left turn they speak of it could get pretty interesting around Philadelphia??:eek:

DOOM
10-27-2012, 11:54 AM

LMMFAO!!! :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

:lol:

WhatsUpDOHC
10-27-2012, 12:16 PM
If it takes the 90 degree left turn they speak of it could get pretty interesting around Philadelphia??:eek:
This is what I'm waiting for......

sailsmen
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks some real good points here, I don't think torando's are a big factor on the East Coast however straight line wind as they are called did do a lot of damage back in '03 to Ewing Twp., NJ.I belive I was at MV-I when that took place.

You are correct about Tornados, I used the term to keep it simple.

Our mind likes things to be uniform. We assume a Hurricane is a uniform and linear wall of wind/rain/surge. IT IS NOT!

I have seen 60 knots of wind in one spot and 100' away 150 knots.

The problem is no one knows where the 60 knot spot will be or the 150 knot spot. It's a lot simpler just to say there are tornados.

Marauderjack
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Thunder.....Lightning...... Hail......Tornadoes.....HIGH Tides......HORRIBLE Waves and Surge.....lotsa WIND and lotsa RAIN.......a Hurricane pretty much brings it all for your enjoyment!!:eek:

Bigdogjim
10-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I am about 35 North of CC Phila. so we are looking (as of now) at Sandy smacking right into NJ(ouch) the storm is very s-l-o-w moving so it will drop tons and tons of rain. :bigcry:

jerrym3
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Everything is battened down on my deck.

The Galaxie and 2003 TBird are safely in the garage.

The Explorer and Lincoln LS will be parked in the street away from the taller trees.

We've been making a lot of ice and eating all the more expensive foods rather than see them go bad.

The gin/vodka will go warm, but the wine will be at room temperature.

Bring it on.

But, I don't care if it were 80 degrees and sunny. You couldn't pay me to go to a Mittney revival, and that's exactly what it is, a revival.

I'd rather watch Dancing With The Stars.

F8LBITEva
10-27-2012, 05:09 PM
what sucks is im trying to fly out to Jamaica Monday morning. I hope this damn storm has moved through the area by then

Bigdogjim
10-27-2012, 10:21 PM
what sucks is im trying to fly out to Jamaica Monday morning. I hope this damn storm has moved through the area by then
he storm is very slow moving and will affect an area the covers 60 million people.:eek:

Wind will not easy up in my area till late Tuesday night and rain until late Thursday:mad2:

Now someone tell WHO pissed off mother nature:censor:

Bluerauder
10-28-2012, 04:33 AM
It is being called "Frankenstorm" Got my generator all ready!

The term "Frankenstorm" came from the fact that it is a monster storm (size-wise) and is put together from various piece parts that have combined to create a unique situation.

A late season hurricane is not uncommon. Nor is a dip in the Jet Stream and a high off of Greenland. Add a blast of cold air coming down from Canada and it makes a bad weather situation. The storm will be forced to turn left and head west somewhere between Ocean City, MD and New York City.

When the warm air Hurricane collides with the cold air from the North and West, it will be a big mess and it may hang in the area for several days and dump massive amounts of rain in the Northeast. 6-10 inches of rain predicted in the VA, MD, DE, NJ, PA, and NY areas. Snow farther west and north. If you are in a flood prone area, I would be particularly concerned with this one.

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 09:14 AM
The storm is 520 miles away from NJ as of now and my friends in Waretown, NJ already have storm surge in the street they are just across the street from a inlet dock.

Only going to get worse :bigcry:

Davesvt2000
10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Central Mass going to get about 3 inches of rain and 50 mph winds.

I brought home my chain saw, leaf blower, a tow strap, and went over to parents house to test start their generator and filled up a few five gallon cans of gas for it.

Guittard22
10-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Put some sand bags down around the house and parked the 10inch lift , 36inch tires monster truck at the highest point :)

Just a little rain so far

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Marauder in the garage.

Downspouts extended WAY OUT.

Hunkering down.

Blackened300a
10-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Worst case, possible 15' water surge up the Hudson.

By/by lower Manhatten subways and the NJ Hudson River "gold coast". Markets will be affected if the worst happens.

I work on the Westside highway in a evacuation zone. Nobody called me to tell me to stay home so I'm off to work tonight and unless things change, ill be stuck heading in tomorrow as well. :depress:

I park my car on the roof of the building so I just have to worry about being stuck there for the rest of the week if the Hudson rises and swamps the area.

Personally I wanna see what happens, I'm not taking anyone's word on anything.

Krytin
10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Good luck Paul
Mary works for the NY Sea Grant program and some of her co-workers are w/NOAA. They have sent some internal emails that point out record storm surge/flooding w/this storm!

Joe Walsh
10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd like to get in the news....soooooo

Tonight, I'm going to head out of Ocean City Md. for some off shore fishing!

Then call in on my fading cell phone, as my boat sinks, and demand that the Emergency teams and the Coast Guard come out to rescue me.

See stupid numb nuts pull stunts like this all the time.....:shake:

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
I work on the Westside highway in a evacuation zone. Nobody called me to tell me to stay home so I'm off to work tonight and unless things change, ill be stuck heading in tomorrow as well. :depress:

I park my car on the roof of the building so I just have to worry about being stuck there for the rest of the week if the Hudson rises and swamps the area.

Personally I wanna see what happens, I'm not taking anyone's word on anything.
Dude!!!! This isn't something to mess with.

If you haven't gotten a call-Call someone.

Bluerauder
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd like to get in the news....soooooo

Tonight, I'm going to head out of Ocean City Md. for some off shore fishing!

Please smile when you wash up on the beach. ;)

Ocean City, MD has a mandatory evacuation below 17th Street to the inlet by 8:00 PM tonight. Streets there are already flooded and the major part of the storm ain't here yet. My brother-in-law and his wife live at 130th and the Bay. They were talking about staying this time. I recommended against it. Seems too many people may have gotten the wrong lesson from Irene. :(

The US Navy has put their ships at sea from the Norfolk area.

The federal government is closing nonessential offices in the D.C. region Monday due to Sandy. That's pretty much ALL OF THEM. :)

Joe Walsh
10-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Ocean City, MD has a mandatory evacuation below 17th Street to the inlet by 8:00 PM tonight. Streets there are already flooded and the major part of the storm ain't here yet. My brother-in-law and his wife live at 130th and the Bay. They were talking about staying this time. I recommended against it. Seems too many people may have gotten the wrong lesson from Irene. :(

The federal government is closing nonessential offices in the D.C. region Monday due to Sandy. That's pretty much ALL OF THEM. :)

LOL.....

Aint that the truth!......:shake:

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, these numb nuts take people with them OR cause first responders to be unnecessarily placed into harm's way.

Blackened300a
10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Dude!!!! This isn't something to mess with.

If you haven't gotten a call-Call someone.

I have nobody to call. Ill go in tonight and will find out what tomorrow brings.

Bluerauder
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I have nobody to call. Ill go in tonight and will find out what tomorrow brings.

Current prediction is 9-11 foot surge from Sandy Hook, NJ to Jamaica Bay, NY and up the Hudson and East Rivers. 11-13 feet in Raritan Bay. The funnel shape will aggravate the surges as "Sandy" comes ashore. Just south of NYC. Good Luck, Paul. Be safe and take some pics. ;)

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Well you can always call me:lol:

Do you need me to write a note for you?

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Light rain started to fall about an hour ago.

Phase one I guess.

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey Joe they already pulled a surfer out of the ocean off Sea Girt, NJ Coast Guard had to dispatched from Sandy Hook, NJ USGC Base.

What a waste they should bill him for the rescue!:mad:

CBT
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Preps made.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Well you can always call me:lol:

Do you need me to write a note for you?
Dr. WhatsUpDOHC will write a note for you.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Preps made.

Look what the storm brought in!

Pat
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Will a ten foot surge flood the subways and tunnels in NYC?

MM2004
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Look what the storm brought in!

Yeah. Blame me.

Called the CBT to see what was up, and threatened to close his account if he didn't post.

:D

Mike.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
The 2nd perfect storm.....

CBT
10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah. Blame me.

Called the CBT to see what was up, and threatened to close his account if he didn't post.

:D

Mike.
True story! :beer:

Bluerauder
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM

Just got the word that they left Ocean City this afternoon and are staying at a hotel in Salisbury about 50 miles inland. That's better.

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Preps made.

Took the storm to wake you up? Nice to hear from you:cool:

Wheat triscut's are better:P

Stay safe and dry:beer:

Blackened300a
10-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes, they already suspended all mass transit as of 7pm tonight.

CBT
10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Took the storm to wake you up? Nice to hear from you:cool:

Wheat triscut's are better:P

Stay safe and dry:beer:

Big Dog Daddy! Miss you, man.

Yes, they already suspended all mass transit as of 7pm tonight.

Are you's on high ground?

Joe Walsh
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Heard on the news that there was hundreds of people sand baggin' in Fells Point....

For a second, I thought that they said: " tea baggin' ".....:eek:

CBT
10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Heard on the news that there was hundreds of people sand baggin' in Fells Point....

For a second, I thought that they said: " tea baggin' ".....:eek:

Some of us sand bag. :cool:

Mebot
10-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Yes work is canceled for tomorrow! gonna play videogames and m aybe have a toaster strudel

Joe Walsh
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM

Isn't that a tad bit gritty in your mouth?........:D

NavySeabee
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
31829Ain't that the truth!

DOOM
10-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Isn't that a tad bit gritty in your mouth?........:D

LMAO!!! :laugh:

sailsmen
10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
What you have to look forward too! :lol:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/epa_pontoonboat-searchandrescue-Katrina.jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18484)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/STORM-1_1_.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/boats033_2_.jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22003)

wickedmerc
10-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes work is canceled for tomorrow! gonna play videogames and m aybe have a toaster strudel

HAHAHA....sounds like an awesome plan to me, 'specially that Toaster Strudel!! :D

Starting to get a little breezy out there. I'm about 2 miles from Raritan Bay but no evac order. I think we're high enough...or should I say I "hope"! :sweat:

Commodore Crap
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
It's been raining here pretty much since Friday. Oh well. I just don't want the damn snow. I'm not ready for it yet.
Good luck down state!

-ryan s.

Mebot
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
HAHAHA....sounds like an awesome plan to me, 'specially that Toaster Strudel!! :D

Starting to get a little breezy out there. I'm about 2 miles from Raritan Bay but no evac order. I think we're high enough...or should I say I "hope"! :sweat:

Dang, wife's work is cancelled tomorrow too :(

Which means she's probably going to put me to work cleaning or something. Good thing I bought Season 2 Walking Dead so we I can try to convince her to watch that all day

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
19 States will affected by the storm. Sandy will go down in the record books for sure.

Bigdogjim
10-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Just a short clip on "TWC" about the storm surge in the Battery Park City area...expecting a 10' surge which is enough to flood the subway in that area. After the storm passes the subway is the key to getting NYC back on track, so yes it will be a problem in that area.

Tunnels I expect will fare a little better.

I hope so for NYC sake.

Nothing good will come of this, that is for sure.

Ms. Denmark
10-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Power went out for about an hour last night. At this hour, occasional strong gusty winds, no rain....yet. Heading out to work about 25 miles away. Taking an overnite bag, foul weather gear and hoping for the best. Mr. Man is handling the home front. Truck and Marauders on high ground. Plenty of food and water for us and the 4 legged family members. Kerosene lamps, flashlights, candles, heavy plastic sheeting and duct tape at the ready. And I baked cookies so I guess we're as ready as we'll ever be.

Good luck and stay safe, All!

Marauderjack
10-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Good Luck to everyone in the storm's path!!!:up:

Pat
10-29-2012, 04:46 AM
Time now, 7:40 AM Monday. Looking at the NOAA Satellite images Sandy has increased speed to 85 MPH, forward speed still at 15 MPH but the storm is starting the left turn toward the east coast.

I would have thought the storm would have diminished due to the cooler water in the Atlantic. Go figure.

Marauderjack
10-29-2012, 05:24 AM
It's back over the Gulf Stream Pat......still 80+ degree water out there!!:(

sailsmen
10-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Power went out for about an hour last night. At this hour, occasional strong gusty winds, no rain....yet. Heading out to work about 25 miles away. Taking an overnite bag, foul weather gear and hoping for the best. Mr. Man is handling the home front. Truck and Marauders on high ground. Plenty of food and water for us and the 4 legged family members. Kerosene lamps, flashlights, candles, heavy plastic sheeting and duct tape at the ready. And I baked cookies so I guess we're as ready as we'll ever be.

Good luck and stay safe, All!

No Life Jacket?

jabird56
10-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Time now, 7:40 AM Monday. Looking at the NOAA Satellite images Sandy has increased speed to 85 MPH, forward speed still at 15 MPH but the storm is starting the left turn toward the east coast.

I would have thought the storm would have diminished due to the cooler water in the Atlantic. Go figure.

From my understanding, this COLD front coming in from the West is a Catalyst to Sandy. Sandy has basically transitioned from just a tropical storm (hurricane) into a super NorEast'r. Then there is the other from that up and east of Sandy that's adding to the mix.

Looks like Sandy has taken a classic.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224706/Crew-HMS-Bounty-forced-abandon-ship-Hurricane-Sandy-approaches.html?ITO=1490

Currently steady rain, some wind, and 50 degrees here at the house.

Beer - check
Cheesewez - check
generator - check
gas - check
Chilly simmering on the stove - check

Bluerauder
10-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Looks like Sandy has taken a classic.....

What a shame. :( I remember the HMS Bounty coming to Baltimore Harbor during the early 1960's during the filming of the 1962 movie "Mutiny on the Bounty". It was much smaller than I had envisioned. Without a crew to keep her bow into the wind and waves, she's in extreme danger of foundering and going down in the ship's graveyard off Hatteras. Wikipedia is showing that the ship sunk not long after the crew was rescued.

8UWITH6
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Beer - check
Cheesewez - check
generator - check
gas - check
Chilly simmering on the stove - check

[/LEFT]

Toilet Paper? Better check that too! :)

Be careful guys and good luck.

Bigdogjim
10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Hanging out with beagles buddies! They don't like the wind!!

WhatsUpDOHC
10-29-2012, 07:18 AM
How is Garfield doing?

Bluerauder
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
The fishing pier at Ocean City, MD is GONE. :( Can't believe that I was just there in August.

Here's a pic from 1 August with the pier in the distant background. No more ................

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ocean_City00071.JPG

jabird56
10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Toilet Paper? Better check that too! :)

Be careful guys and good luck.

The wife shops at Sam's Club....pallet, need I say more :-)

sailsmen
10-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I knew the Captain of the "Bounty" replica and had the pleasure of sailing under him.

AConvertedChevy
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Starting to get hit pretty hard here. My basement is already flooded, and the storms hours away.

Marauder is the garage, although there is a huge tree above it......

Maybe I'll put it in the middle of the field, done that a few times.

I have food, gas, a generator and whiskey....game on.

Papillon
10-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Are you's on high ground?

As far as home goes, we are in a safe/non evacuation zone and on the 5th floor. As far as his job... his work hood was under a mandatory evacuation as of around 1:00 yesterday! I heard of flooding already on the west side highway which is right next to his building.

The Holland and Battery Tunnels will be closed as of 2PM. FDR Drive has flooding and closed from 116 street - 58 Street and further down town. They said the bridges will close after the wind reached +65mph.

Its also predicted that our area has a 20-50% chance of losing power! :eek:

Paul was told to be in for 6PM tonight... Not sure how he's gonna be able to make it in. Really wish he gets a call being told to stay home :depress:

The fishing pier at Ocean City, MD is GONE. :( Can't believe that I was just there in August.

Here's a pic from 1 August with the pier in the distant background. No more ................ Damn Charlie... I'm sorry to hear this. So terrible :(

sailsmen
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Here's a pic from 1 August with the pier in the distant background. No more ................

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ocean_City00071.JPG

Better save plenty of pics because theres a chance lots will be gone.:(

jerrym3
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Saw a pic of one of our favorite Cape May, NJ, restaurants, the Lobster House.

Water was already about 18" high looking at the main entrance.

Normally, on one side of the restaurant is a parking lot. The other side is a pier with large fishing boats tied up right outside the restaurant's windows.

If the water's up 18" in the front, it's up 18" through the entire structure and the pier area is underwater.

I imagine that a lot of good Jersey Shore places to sleep and eat will either be gone or be in the rebuilding process next summer.

Hope there is a Jersey Shore after this storm.

Rockettman
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Saw a pic of one of our favorite Cape May, NJ, restaurants, the Lobster House.

Water was already about 18" high looking at the main entrance.

Normally, on one side of the restaurant is a parking lot. The other side is a pier with large fishing boats tied up right outside the restaurant's windows.

If the water's up 18" in the front, it's up 18" through the entire structure and the pier area is underwater.

I imagine that a lot of good Jersey Shore places to sleep and eat will either be gone or be in the rebuilding process next summer.

Hope there is a Jersey Shore after this storm.

Hopfully not the TV show!!

Bigdogjim
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
How is Garfield doing?

The real garfield (Debbie) is a basket case a real worry wort doom and gloom type(I lover her anyway;))

The stuffed garfield is tucked away safely in the marauder:beer:

At least someone will dry:help:

vkirkend
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Hey! I resemble that remark.....:flamer:

Bigdogjim
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Tell what is worse?

1- The fact it is taking days to get here?

Or

2- The hammering we are going to get and the clean up afterward?

I really wish it was just OVER!

Bigdogjim
10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
All I can say is.....................

SEND LAWYERS, GUNS, AND MONEY DAD GET ME OUT OF HERE I"M STUCK BETWEEN A ROCK AND HARD PLACE AND THE **** HAS HIT THE FAN.

88LTDCV351
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Good luck guys. Prayers that you all get through this unharmed.

Bluerauder
10-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Better save plenty of pics because theres a chance lots will be gone.:(

Just saw more pics from Ocean City, MD. Waves were crashing over the bulkhead wall at the boardwalk at 9:30 AM this morning. The bay has met the ocean on the lower end of Ocean City. The town is closed below the Route 90 bridge. Fager's Island is under water. Water is into the Inlet parking lot where the October "Endless Summer Car Cruise" is held.

Bigdogjim
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Wind speed in Lawrence Twp. is now a at 35 steady, Sandy will hit south of Atlantic City somewhere in maybe 2 hours it's has picked up speed moving at 28 as opposed 14 a few hours ago.

Comin' in Hot
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/Witman40/D6CD37F0-1EE0-4C2B-8327-A76DB11F0BE6-755-000000854164B588.jpg

Papillon
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Trees are already down in my hood and the brunt of the storm has yet to hit.

Wind and rain are whipping around. Bridges are scheduled to close.... Midtown tunnel is still open. Paul just left for work :depress: I'll be home worrying about how he'll get home tomorrow. :(

Stay safe everyone!!

guspech750
10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Can you guys please keep your storm over there. It's getting windy over here in Illinois now.

Thank you.
;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

jabird56
10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Well it looks like all of the local governments around in and around DC will be closed for tomorrow, this includes the FED also.

So we get to sleep in again tomorrow.

According to our local power company emergency website, there ae only 63 households without power so far in my zip code area. We'll see how long that lasts as the storm is coming ashore and the wind is picking up here. Local TV news/weather is saying the brunt of things will be between 6PM and midnight, as the storm as picked up speed a little bit.

Stay safe everyone.

Roadwarrior
10-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Thoughts & prayers to everyone that are affected by Hurricane Sandy. Safe safe & dry everyone.

DOOM
10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Sandy is just starting to squirt over here! :P

05crownsport
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Sandy is just starting to squirt over here! :P

Ummmmm...that's what He said?

Bluerauder
10-29-2012, 03:45 PM
The wind is starting to pick up here considerably. Will reach dangerous levels by Midnight. It is going to be a long night.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Same in Southern Joisey.

We've had some gusts and power sags but I doubt that I'll sleep tonight.

Blown3.8
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Stay downstairs fellas.

This is a house a block from me.

guspech750
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Stay downstairs fellas.

This is a house a block from me.

Holy ***** Christ!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

marauder410
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM
im in baltimore md and sandy is picking up really realy bad here now and i just hope the power stays on as long as it can and when its all over my poor poor marauder is in same condition before storm started...

please sadny dont mess up my nice marauder im not fortunate enough to have a garage or even my own parking pad or anything of thr short i live in townhouse and have a super packed street

i managed to get my marauder right outfront my house so happy about thatg one and there is no trees around.. i also have plenty of room in between cars so the MM should be ok.. i hopee :rolleyes:

gonna be a terrible terrible next 2 days since power is gonna go out really soon

WhatsUpDOHC
10-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Holy ***** Christ!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DITTO.

Is everyone OK?

That's my nightmare.

Baaad GN
10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Well they call back east the dirty side, maybe some of that water will clean it up some, also they saying waves on Lake Michigan possible 15-30 feet, threat could eliminate the State of Michigan, Detroit will be spared. Chicago is safe being Obama's back at the White House and he promised his boy's continue to vote that it's ok!

Comin' in Hot
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I stepped out on my front porch and within 10 seconds the transformer about 200 feet from me blew up, the power is now officially out

Comin' in Hot
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank god for my cell phone to keep me tuned in here

Guittard22
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
RI getting hit but I know not as bad as NY be safe guys

05crownsport
10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
So far, so good here in northern Harford county, MD. They say the eye will pass near here tonight? Knock on wood, our power is still on. I am concerned about folks in cecil county and those closer to water here in Harford. We'll be sleeping in the basement tonight!

Baconbit
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Has anyone heard from Paul and Voula? Just hoping everyone is ok.

Comin' in Hot
10-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Paul is at work surrounded by 8 feet of water, Voula is at their apartment, that's the last I heard

8UWITH6
10-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Thinking of all you guys.......................... ........... be safe! That tree picture is insane. Makes the 100 foot sycamore that fell through my house last fall look like a twig!

Baaad GN
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
What the news is showing the East Coast is under water, hmmmmmmm not good at all, not only that but this is gonna be more than a 1 or 2 day event!

Baconbit
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I feel so bad for all that live on the east coast, I have been watching CNN and I am just amazed at this storm. I live in the northern tip of West Virginia and the counties in the southern part of the state are under 14 inches of SNOW already! Unreal.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Paul is at work surrounded by 8 feet of water, Voula is at their apartment, that's the last I heard
Anything from Paul or Voula?

Rockettman
10-30-2012, 04:29 AM
We got some pretty bad winds and rain up here in Toronto last night.
Nothing in comparison to you folks on the East Coast.
I couldn't believe I was looking at New York City on the TV!

Hoping that all the other member's and their families are safe, healthy, and fairing well.

Mebot
10-30-2012, 04:39 AM
im in baltimore md and sandy is picking up really realy bad here now and i just hope the power stays on as long as it can and when its all over my poor poor marauder is in same condition before storm started...

please sadny dont mess up my nice marauder im not fortunate enough to have a garage or even my own parking pad or anything of thr short i live in townhouse and have a super packed street

i managed to get my marauder right outfront my house so happy about thatg one and there is no trees around.. i also have plenty of room in between cars so the MM should be ok.. i hopee :rolleyes:

gonna be a terrible terrible next 2 days since power is gonna go out really soon

how's your car man?

I checked the surroundings this morning but we seemed to weather just fine. Our neighbor came over yesterday to borrow my ladder. His ceiling in his master bedroom was leaking. Still (knock on wood) no power outage or flooding on my end. No work today again so

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

jabird56
10-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Denise and I weathered out the storm OK, allot of rain and wind last night. The lights flickered twice last night, and that's it. Currently, still raining with temps a cool/damp 42 here at the house.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-30-2012, 06:40 AM
All good here in South Joisey.

Still have power, no trees down, basement dry, cars good.

I should add that everyone is not so lucky. Power outages/trees down.

jabird56
10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Still need Paul and Voula to check in.

Haven't seen anything from Paula or Eric, nor from BigDog......

WhatsUpDOHC
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes. Waiting for check-ins from all.

Comin' in Hot
10-30-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm ok, the cars are fine, only one tree down, but no power

Haggis
10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
We are high and dry, power never went out, no damamge to house or garage and only one tree down in the yard.

Papillon
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Has anyone heard from Paul and Voula? Just hoping everyone is ok.

Anything from Paul or Voula?

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for the concern. You guys are the greatest!

Paul had me up all night worrying. Outside his shop was 8 feet of water. Inside his shop, the first floor flooded so he and the rest of the guys move up to the second floor. Lucky the water receded and he was able to use his city ID to get over the bride and come home.

He said there's a LOT of devistation in downtown NYC and a lot of fall end trees and tree limbs by our hood.

We still have no cable or Internet but we have electricity so wer're thankful for that. Currently, the wind is still whipping around and we're having random 2 minute downpours of rain.

The images I'm seeing on twitter are just heart breaking and devastating. So sad. Battery park is submerged. Cars were floating around.... So sad.

Bluerauder
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
OK here too. Lots of wind and rain last night but no problems. Power was fine and no tree losses in the neighborhood that I saw. Only 3 intersections without power on the main road enroute to work. Very light traffic. Lots of folks staying home today.

Voula says Paul made it home this morning ... so all is OK there. Said their place had no power, intenet or cable last night .... not sure whether that has been corrected yet. Lots of folks without power and such in NYC and Long Island.

wickedmerc
10-30-2012, 09:10 AM
No power since last evening, lots of trees or parts of trees down all around. Tree fell on my sisters house on LI but all are ok. Cars ok; covered in leaf shrapnel but unharmed.

jflave
10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I am at work, all good. I drove around this morning & i think we are dam lucky in my little corner of the world. :)

HammerDown
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I am at work, all good. I drove around this morning & i think we are dam lucky in my little corner of the world. :)

I got to work, too--VERY light traffic.

Ditto for us in our little corner of Perry Hall, MD--didn't see ANYTHING blowing around and no fallen trees or branches on anyone's property--amazing for all the sustained wind, gusts, and rain yesterday.

Prayers for all the people that will have a huge clean-up ahead of them, and those who suffered losses.

Pat
10-30-2012, 10:59 AM
What will the car market look like a little later?

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/eD4kvjgZBdTHeXBsDiHvmQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD 00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/10/30/AP428485139805-jpg_165215.jpg

I know these are taxi's but what about dealer new and used car inventory across New England.

05crownsport
10-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Thank goodness all of our friends are okay! As far as all the "stuff" goes that got damaged, it can be fixed or replaced. It looks like NYC and new jersey got the brunt of the impact.

Ms. Denmark
10-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Paula and Eric checking in. No power at home or at work....but no major damage to our property. Cars are fine. I got to work without any major issues. Several big trees down across the road but passable. No power all along the 25 miles of my commute. It will just take time. I'm on a generator here at work and so am able to check in but may not be able to again for awhile. Hope all of you are fine!!

Cheeseheadbob
10-30-2012, 11:56 AM
We dodged a very large bullet in my neck of the woods. Only a flicker of the lights twice last night and zero damage. I had all of my 70+ foot trees removed after our last big storm, so no chance of them taking out my house this time.

I hope those affected in any way by this storm get back on their feet very soon. If anyone needs anything, just shoot me a PM, and I will see what I can do. Be safe out there! -Bob

Blown3.8
10-30-2012, 12:30 PM
We are ok here. And heard on the news this morning the whole family was in the family room where the tree hit the house. But they all left the room just before it came down. Someone was watching over them.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-30-2012, 12:33 PM

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/eD4kvjgZBdTHeXBsDiHvmQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD 00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/10/30/AP428485139805-jpg_165215.jpg

I know these are taxi's but what about dealer new and used car inventory across New England.
Lotta dead Panthers....:(

Curless
10-30-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes, but they were dead already...cabs...NOT your first choice when buying a used car!

WhatsUpDOHC
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Anyone heard from the Big Dog?

Does anyone know his home/cell number?

sailsmen
10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
We are ok here. And heard on the news this morning the whole family was in the family room where the tree hit the house. But they all left the room just before it came down. Someone was watching over them.

As I posted earlier the trees can continue to come down as the ground is water logged. Years ago had one come down parallel to the front door, had to duck under it to walk out , after the wind had stopped.

Comin' in Hot
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Anyone heard from the Big Dog?

Does anyone know his home/cell number?

I just got off the phone with him, he has no electric and no internet, but he's fine other than having sore shoulders from cleaning up the leaves all day.

Blackened300a
10-31-2012, 01:00 AM
The DSNY went full force and called everyone in for mandatory 12hr shifts. I arrived at 5pm before the storm and did all my night reports. There are 4 districts near the water and all 4 were flooded before the storm even hit. Around 630 the Westside highway was already covered by a foot of water in both directions and it was rising fast. By 730 the water had already rose above the fire hydrants and started entering the building, 8pm the power went out and by 9pm we had 3ft of water inside the 1st floor and 5 ft of water outside around the entire building. We sat inside until the tide went out and the street cleared which was around 5am. At that point the damage was done. Our entire database and mainframe shorted out, our elevators are under water and out brand new oil pump rooms are completely filled with salt water. Driving home from the area looked like a war zone. Trees down and no power anywhere. I had to use my city ID just to get out of manhattan. Right now we are on full alert and I may be stuck working 12hr shifts 7 days a week until further notice. I have pictures and video which ill need a wifi connection to upload.

Marauder is safe though!

Bluerauder
10-31-2012, 04:26 AM
The DSNY went full force and called everyone in for mandatory 12hr shifts. ..... Marauder is safe though!
Glad to hear that the Marauder is OK.

What was the purpose of DSNY calling everyone in?? I don't understand. Storm surges were predicted to be above 10 feet in that area for several days before the storm. Did they not know that meant flooded buildings? Maybe they were hoping that it wouldn't get that bad or that somehow the workers could prevent the damage. :dunno: Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me and it put the DSNY workers at risk. Guess that is part of the job. ;)

SID210SA
10-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Glad to hear everyone is okay so far....

I am sure alot of cities are pitching in, ours just sent 50 CPS guys and trucks to help get the power back on line.

Blackened300a
10-31-2012, 05:14 AM

What was the purpose of DSNY calling everyone in?? I don't understand. Storm surges were predicted to be above 10 feet in that area for several days before the storm. Did they not know that meant flooded buildings? Maybe they were hoping that it wouldn't get that bad or that somehow the workers could prevent the damage. :dunno: Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me and it put the DSNY workers at risk. Guess that is part of the job. ;)

Stupidity and things that don't make sense go hand in hand on this job. My shop is in a zone A evacuation area. They knew this was coming and they all said that the water touched the top steps during Irene because this is a known area to flood, but yet the call came in to have us report into the area for 6pm. Even more stupid is having the mechanics come in to work on trucks in the dark with no air compressor for tools or enough lighting to see what the hell they are doing.
Yet the bosses came in and bitched at us because we didn't wade through the water and set up generators and put lights up. It's just another reason why I'm not happy with this job I have. We did what we could with what we had and it's never enough but yet if one of us got hurt they would immediately question what we were doing and why were we doing it. :shake:

Papillon
10-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Charlie, you are echoing my statements exactly. I can't tell you how P!$$ED I was when Paul told me that he had to report to his shop on Monday... a shop in a neighborhood that was under a mandatory evacuation from noon, SUNDAY! And then when I heard about his shop being flooded and the rising water.... :depress: :shake:... lets just say I got no sleep.

I told Paul that if I ever meet ANY of the DSNY higher ups, I'll have a BIG bone to pick with them. The decision to have their employees go to work in an evacuated zone knowing FULL WELL that it was dangerous and there were risks involved is beyond me! If they wanted to put their lives in danger while on the job, they would've signed up for the NYPD or FDNY!!! :mad2:

I'm just happy Paul made it home SAFE.

As far as the other areas... my heart goes out. Entire Jersey towns, flooded. This morning I heard reports of a little Island off the coast of Jersey literally burning to the ground and they couldn't even get help over because there was a HOUSE on the bridge that lead to the island. My gf lives in Old Howard Beach, Queens.... her house is destroyed. Lost everything. So incredibly sad :(

Joe Walsh
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM

Yes, but they were dead already...cabs...NOT your first choice when buying a used car!

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/FloodedPanthers.jpg

JEEZ!
Lots of flooded Panthers.....they look to be brand spanking new, not yet commissioned cabs.

I wonder how many will 'somehow' reappear as cabs on the streets of NY....:hmmm:
I'd just like to get an 8.8" rear axle assembly for cheap!

Odinson
10-31-2012, 08:53 AM
No time to read this whole thread glad to see a few NY folks checking in.

Sandy murdered the backyard shed at my moms house and blew a couple breakers at mine but everything else is OK. Marauder standing steadfast in the best spot on the block

Non NE folks, this place is a MESS! NY will not be fine for months. Without trains it's a whole different city.

Bluerauder
10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
As far as the other areas... my heart goes out. Entire Jersey towns, flooded.

The images of all of the destruction, flooding, power loss, etc. up and down the east coast from Virginia to New York are truly devasting. :( Thousands of homes destroyed, people affected, and a very long recovery process ahead.

However, everyone needs to keep this in perspective. "Sandy" was ONLY a Category 1 Hurricane. Winds were 80 MPH at landfall near Atlantic City, NJ when it came ashore at 8:00 PM, 29 October 2012. We've all seen the pics of the damage that has been done in a span of only about 24 hours. Now imagine a more powerful hurricane on the same track. Higher winds, greater storm surge = more destruction. Example storms below is not all inclusive.

Category 1 -- 74-95 MPH, 980-994 milibars, Very Dangerous Winds, Some Damage (Agnes 1972, Sandy 2012).

Category 2 -- 96-110 MPH, 965-979 milibars, Extremely Dangerous Winds, Extensive Damage (Diane 1990, Alma 1996).

Category 3 -- 111-129 MPH, 945-964 milibars, Devastating Damage (Carol 1954, Eloise 1976, Fran 1996).

Category 4 -- 130-156 MPH, 920-944 milibars, Horrific Damage (Hazel 1954, Audrey 1957, Cleo 1964, Floyd 1999).

Category 5 -- Over 157 MPH, Less than 920 milibars, Catastrophic Damage (Janet 1955, Camille 1969, Anita 1977, David 1979, Andrew 1992, Katrina 2005).

Governor Christie (NJ) and President Obama want to meet with the US Army Corps of Engineers to discuss how to better protect the coastline from storms such as "Sandy". That oughta be a really short meeting. 20 years of beachwork from MD, DE, NJ and NY was just "erased" in less than one night. The barrier islands are nature's way of protecting the mainland. They have developed over thousands of years. As long as there is development on these barrier islands, there is no way to guarantee safety from damage against all storms, all intensities and all tracks. Sooner or later, time runs out. Unfortunately, NJ and NY took the big hit this time..... and the Good Part is that is could have been much, much worse.

Odinson
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
The images of all of the destruction, flooding, power loss, etc. up and down the east coast from Virginia to New York are truly devasting. :( Thousands of homes destroyed, people affected, and a very long recovery process ahead.

However, everyone needs to keep this in perspective. "Sandy" was ONLY a Category 1 Hurricane. Winds were 80 MPH at landfall near Atlantic City, NJ when it came ashore at 8:00 PM, 29 October 2012. We've all seen the pics of the damage that has been done in a span of only about 24 hours. Now imagine a more powerful hurricane on the same track. Higher winds, greater storm surge = more destruction. Example storms below is not all inclusive.

Category 1 -- 74-95 MPH, 980-994 milibars, Very Dangerous Winds, Some Damage (Agnes 1972, Sandy 2012).

Category 2 -- 96-110 MPH, 965-979 milibars, Extremely Dangerous Winds, Extensive Damage (Diane 1990, Alma 1996).

Category 3 -- 111-129 MPH, 945-964 milibars, Devastating Damage (Carol 1954, Eloise 1976, Fran 1996).

Category 4 -- 130-156 MPH, 920-944 milibars, Horrific Damage (Hazel 1954, Audrey 1957, Cleo 1964, Floyd 1999).

Category 5 -- Over 157 MPH, Less than 920 milibars, Catastrophic Damage (Janet 1955, Camille 1969, Anita 1977, David 1979, Andrew 1992, Katrina 2005).

Governor Christie (NJ) and President Obama want to meet with the US Army Corps of Engineers to discuss how to better protect the coastline from storms such as "Sandy". That oughta be a really short meeting. 20 years of beachwork from MD, DE, NJ and NY was just "erased" in less than one night. The barrier islands are nature's way of protecting the mainland. They have developed over thousands of years. As long as there is development on these barrier islands, there is no way to guarantee safety from damage against all storms, all intensities and all tracks. Sooner or later, time runs out. Unfortunately, NJ and NY took the big hit this time..... and the Good Part is that is could have been much, much worse.

In fairness, water this far north can't sustain a 4 or 5. Just not warm enough, and a 3 can't last very long either.

Also in very rare condition the jet stream was out to sea, and the winds blowing west, making the storm hit NJ, the worst flooding scenario for NYC. Also it combined with another storm, and the millibar pressure rating (strangly) was the same as a cat3 despite the slow winds.

In many ways it was the perfect storm.

My wife wanted to move to long beach (barrier island) when we bought our house. I resisted despite rather liking long beach, for exactly this reason.

Baaad GN
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Believe it or not I can imagine some of the problems back east, we've had them here in the Mid West, there called Tornado's but thankfully on a smaller scale. But when a whole town is LEVELED the pain is the same and hopefully many Americans will come to their Aid, lets see our allies offer help now!

WhatsUpDOHC
10-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Stupidity and things that don't make sense go hand in hand on this job. My shop is in a zone A evacuation area. They knew this was coming and they all said that the water touched the top steps during Irene because this is a known area to flood, but yet the call came in to have us report into the area for 6pm. Even more stupid is having the mechanics come in to work on trucks in the dark with no air compressor for tools or enough lighting to see what the hell they are doing.
Yet the bosses came in and bitched at us because we didn't wade through the water and set up generators and put lights up. It's just another reason why I'm not happy with this job I have. We did what we could with what we had and it's never enough but yet if one of us got hurt they would immediately question what we were doing and why were we doing it. :shake:

Dude!

When I heard that you were headed back into that s**t, I was very concerned.

Has anyone dropped dime on your boss or whoever called you in, despite the Mayor's evacuation call and all other information pointing to the contrary?

I'm glad that you are OK.

Mark

WhatsUpDOHC
10-31-2012, 06:04 PM
I just got off the phone with him, he has no electric and no internet, but he's fine other than having sore shoulders from cleaning up the leaves all day.

Thanks Derek - I thought that he'd be OK but it's good to hear.

Mark

WhatsUpDOHC
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Charlie, you are echoing my statements exactly. I can't tell you how P!$$ED I was when Paul told me that he had to report to his shop on Monday... a shop in a neighborhood that was under a mandatory evacuation from noon, SUNDAY! And then when I heard about his shop being flooded and the rising water.... :depress: :shake:... lets just say I got no sleep.

I told Paul that if I ever meet ANY of the DSNY higher ups, I'll have a BIG bone to pick with them. The decision to have their employees go to work in an evacuated zone knowing FULL WELL that it was dangerous and there were risks involved is beyond me! If they wanted to put their lives in danger while on the job, they would've signed up for the NYPD or FDNY!!! :mad2:

I'm just happy Paul made it home SAFE.

As far as the other areas... my heart goes out. Entire Jersey towns, flooded. This morning I heard reports of a little Island off the coast of Jersey literally burning to the ground and they couldn't even get help over because there was a HOUSE on the bridge that lead to the island. My gf lives in Old Howard Beach, Queens.... her house is destroyed. Lost everything. So incredibly sad :(

Yes, an INCREDIBLY BAD CALL for Paul and coworkers to report to work.

Mark

sailsmen
10-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Good luck!

CATs don't mean *****!

They should do away with the CAT system. It is the storm surge that causes the damage and kills along coastal areas. In a CAT 1 your neighbor can have 80mph of wind while you get a 130MPH ripping your roof off!

A hurricane can go from a CAT 5 to CAT 2 in 24 hours. Katrina went down from a CAT 5 in a matter of hours and all those DUMB Asses, Public Officials*, thought they were in the clear when they saw how weak the wind was.

Then the SURGE came bringing DEATH and DESTRUCTION!

*DUMB Asses - because I had discussions with several about the faults of the CAT system, of what I had witnessed after Ivan, face to face with Mayor Nagin telling him why our Levees would not hold, and the SAT photo of Katrina filling the entire GOM was all they needed to see to make decisions.

sailsmen
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
A client in Pensacola had a problem due to Ivan that made the Cable News cycle. I went there to help.

What I saw confirmed what I had suspected. A Hurricane is not a uniform wall of wind and water. You have places that have high wind blasts and surge blasts.

I saw the damage the surge did after it went over Santa Rosa Is, up the bay, up a bayou, over a corral of barges and on to an area 12' above mean sea level.

A week latter I told Mayor Nagin of my observations face to face, just me and him. I told him our levees would not hold, that they would break.

I recommended he form a committee and go to Pensacola to learn what they learned.

He never went to Pensacola nor did he ever send anyone.

I will never forgive him.

Do not solely rely on Public Officials. Form your own plan, get your own information and make your own decisions.

jerrym3
10-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Lost power Monday night around 7PM.

Kept the refrig shut, added extra clothing and blankets, played solitaire and started doing all my saved up newspaper Sudokus using battery powered lanterns. (Solitaire using real playing cards is a pain!) Caught up on some car mags.

Lots of branches in the backyard, but nothing very large. Everything I battened down stayed battened down.

Nasty, nasty winds. Probably the highest I've ever seen.

Tuesday morning, found a few roof shingles in the backyard; don't know if they are mine or someone else's. WIll check the roof when all calms down.

Drove down to in law's house for dinner. They never lost power. No traffic lights working and very little traffic on the roads.

Wednesday, cleaned up the backyard, and power came on around 5PM. Less than two day's outage.

For something this huge, that was great!

We have an acquaintance in Mantaloking. We're wondering how his house weathered the storm, if his house still exists.

My buddies and I visit a VFW bar every few weeks that's right on the bay across from Mantaloking. We're wondering if it's still there.

Looks like Wildwood didn't get hit as bad as they thought it might. Storm hit Jersey a bit further north. Seaside Heights is no longer the Seaside Heights I knew as a youth.

We'll take a trip down in a few weeks. Hoping for the best, but not counting on it.

wickedmerc
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Pier at Seaside fell into the ocean. Pics of a roller coaster in the surf is eerie.

Drove past a few marinas on Rt35 in Keansburg area. The destruction was indescribable. Very expensive boats underwater, piled on top of each other, upside down, lifted up out of the bay and piled on railroad tracks (NJ Transit northeast corridor will be out of service for a while).

Still no power. Lines for any available gas are outrageous! Getting nuts around central NJ. Come on JCP&L!!

Papillon
10-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Dude!

When I heard that you were headed back into that s**t, I was very concerned.

Has anyone dropped dime on your boss or whoever called you in, despite the Mayor's evacuation call and all other information pointing to the contrary?

I'm glad that you are OK.

Mark

Yes, an INCREDIBLY BAD CALL for Paul and coworkers to report to work.

Mark

I feel like its a losing battle with the DSNY. Always has been. You never heard about any whistle blowing going on with them. NYPD & FDNY, sure but NEVER with the DSNY I feel. I'm sure they'd come up with some "valid" excuse about why they sent the guys in. It's rediculous.

I saw before and after pics of Seaside. It's terrible. The rollercoaster is in the ocean, there's no boardwalk to even speak about anymore. Everything. Completely destroyed. So so sad.

My gf who lives in TriBeCa said it looks like armageddon down there. Her building was evacuated just this morning even though it wasn't near any water or anything. They said its for the safety of the citizens. After sundown, it not safe for anyone to be there because there's no power. So so sad.

Bigdogjim
10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Folks! Back to the real world now..(one with electric:) ) Got power back Wed. night around 9PM lost it Monday night at 7:30 PM miss a lot to TV but got a lot of work done:up:

No major damge in my area other than trees down all over I had access to tri-axle dump truck that came in handy to help move trees etc:) The NJ shore took the brunt of the storm and some of you have seen pictures hardest hit were Seaside & Point Pleasant. I feel for the people who had houses destoryed or flooded out.
As you all know I spent a lot of time over the years in NYC with buses and my heart goes out to the people there.
I thank everyone for the phone calls pm's etc. Hope everone else is doing fine! (as can be expected)

I spend two night sitting listening to the radio by candle light, and felt like I was living in the 30's:)

Tonight I watched a little TV and saw some of the destruction, what a mess it is some places.

It's not a contest or anything but this storm hit the most populated part of the USA, with NJ beeing the most densely populated State.

I heard that Southern Lake Mi, was hit by 20 foot waves? Crazy stuff I called John (Pop's)and spoke with his wife Linda and all are OK!

I be helping out tomorrow, finnish up clean up around my house and then back to work, I have a wedding in Phila. on Friday and hope the trolley's are OK. Guess I will find thursday afternoon when my boss call.

God Bless thee USA :flag:

Bigdogjim
10-31-2012, 11:54 PM
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/FloodedPanthers.jpg

JEEZ!
Lots of flooded Panthers.....they look to be brand spanking new, not yet commissioned cabs.

I wonder how many will 'somehow' reappear as cabs on the streets of NY....:hmmm:
I'd just like to get an 8.8" rear axle assembly for cheap!

This photo was take over in Hoboken, NJ not NYC:P

These cab's have a very high value to any Company's that has a fleet's of crown vic's, they will be used:)

WhatsUpDOHC
11-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Etc. Etc. Etc. Firearms & ammo check. Etc. Etc. Etc. Alcohol, Ice and indeterminate number of distilled, beverages and a shelter without heat, water, CABLE TV AND INTERNET ACCESS.

Gordon - Wha' happen?

CBT
11-01-2012, 06:37 PM
The DSNY went full force and called everyone in for mandatory 12hr shifts. I arrived at 5pm before the storm and did all my night reports. There are 4 districts near the water and all 4 were flooded before the storm even hit. Around 630 the Westside highway was already covered by a foot of water in both directions and it was rising fast. By 730 the water had already rose above the fire hydrants and started entering the building, 8pm the power went out and by 9pm we had 3ft of water inside the 1st floor and 5 ft of water outside around the entire building. We sat inside until the tide went out and the street cleared which was around 5am. At that point the damage was done. Our entire database and mainframe shorted out, our elevators are under water and out brand new oil pump rooms are completely filled with salt water. Driving home from the area looked like a war zone. Trees down and no power anywhere. I had to use my city ID just to get out of manhattan. Right now we are on full alert and I may be stuck working 12hr shifts 7 days a week until further notice. I have pictures and video which ill need a wifi connection to upload.

Marauder is safe though!

Right on :beer:

HammerDown
11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Freddie H, Kelly, Alex & VKirkend-----and all other Delaware 'rauders

You all okay? Please check in and let us know!!!!!!!!

Comin' in Hot
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Night 4 - no power, this is getting old fast.

1stMerc
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
^^^I feel your pain no hurricane here, but we lost power twice in the same year back in the late 90 for two weeks both times. Once in the heat of summer and bad thunder storm and once in November during a freak snow storm. Took those tress right down. Definately not a fun experience. Hang in there. Hope you don't have a freezer full of perishables like i did.

Glad to hear pretty much everyone made it out okay or with minimal damage.

Take care and be safe.
Waymon

Haggis
11-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Gordon - Wha' happen?

What do you mean what happened?

Ozark Marauder
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Just a thought...Take time today to find a charity in your local area that is helping the lost souls of those in the northeast nightmare. Ours here locally is one of the best:

http://convoyofhope.org/

Just do something for them...TODAY!!

The NYC local government is more interested in running marathon events (Where are these peoples minds?) than running relief efforts for the local citizens.

http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/doblin/doblin_110212.html?page=all

JMO

OZ

Haggis
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Just a thought...Take time today to find a charity in your local area that is helping the lost souls of those in the northeast nightmare. Ours here locally is one of the best:

http://convoyofhope.org/

Just do something for them...TODAY!!

The NYC local government is more interested in running marathon events (Where are these peoples minds?) than running relief efforts for the local citizens.

JMO

OZ

That is because Bloomberg is an Idiot!!!

Papillon
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

JMO

OZ

Please. I can't tell you what an atrocity it is to hear this.

To quote a friend of mine: "Yes, the marathoners can jog past all the destroyed homes and people waiting on mile long lines for gas and know that the tunnel they're running through to go between boroughs just had bodies pulled out of them a couple days ago. Way to go Mayor" :shake:

Meanwhile, downtown NYC looks like something out of Call of Duty, you have people crying and begging for food and supplies and they are sending the National Guard into Staten Island just to keep the peace and prevent chaos. BUT, it's aaaaall about the bottom line for Blubbering-Bloomberg instead of the welfare and health or the citizens.

:shake: :mad2::shake:

Rockettman
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I wanted to say that the people of New York should protest and put up a fight against this marathon...
but for the same reason they should protest; is the same reason they don't have time to even think about that stupid run!!

It's sickening that this is even being considered !

Krytin
11-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Just a thought...Take time today to find a charity in your local area that is helping the lost souls of those in the northeast nightmare.
JMO

OZ

Yep - got lucky by me. no property damage (so far) and only lost power for about 5 hrs.

Any Marauders on LI needs some help or a hot meal/shower PM me!

jflave
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I thought the storm was bad for a lot of people(not me) but what is going on now is just heart breaking & it's going to take a long time for them to recover from this disaster. What a shame.

DOOM
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone heard from Ms. D and Mr. Man?

I sent them a pm and no response.

Hope you 2 are ok!

Haggis
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Hope you 2 are ok!

Mr. Slates quarry is under water and Fred is doing the Dino paddle with Wilma on his back.

I will give them a shout later this evening.

Papillon
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Hope you 2 are ok!

Doomie, she posted up on page 11 - said they were doing ok.....

Paula and Eric checking in. No power at home or at work....but no major damage to our property. Cars are fine. I got to work without any major issues. Several big trees down across the road but passable. No power all along the 25 miles of my commute. It will just take time. I'm on a generator here at work and so am able to check in but may not be able to again for awhile. Hope all of you are fine!!

Papillon
11-02-2012, 12:44 PM

JMO

OZ

"Mayor Bloomberg Stands Alone"

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11/mayor-doubles-down-on-marathon-with-nod-to-911.html

Odinson
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
"Mayor Bloomberg Stands Alone"

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11/mayor-doubles-down-on-marathon-with-nod-to-911.html

Uyh vey.

This is definitely dumb. It's going to be freezing overnight this weekend.

NEVER TRUST YOUR GOVERNMENT. It's s thing not a person. It will nag you until you really need help and then try to fine you for dying out of turn.

NavySeabee
11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Mayor Michael Bloomberg says Sunday's New York City Marathon will not be held due to damage from Superstorm Sandy. Earlier this week he said it would go on, this most recent decision comes after a lot of pressure from New York City residents who said it was too soon after the storm.

sailsmen
11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Recovery on average takes 7 years for areas that have suffered major damage.

FEMA's own guidlines call for you to have 3 days supply of water. WHERE IS FEMA????????????

http://www.ready.gov/

When a tree fell threw my bedroom due to a hurricane I borrowed money, hired a contractor and made temp repairs due to another hurricane on the way. I called FEMA.

Although I knew the tree was going to fall threw my bedroom since it was in a "green area" I could not get permission to cut it down.

Weird after the hurricane all the trees in this "green area" that posed a threat to my family were majically cut down.:confused:

Took off work to mee the FEMA guy. He calls and says ohh too late for me to drive 10 minutes to meet you. I convince him it's only 10 minutes to come.

He says ohh your home is fixed and habitable we can't pay for anything. If I would have sat on the floor and gotten high they would have paid for my repairs and put us up in a hotel room until the repairs were done.

NEVER EVER calling FEMA again!

MM03MOK
11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Please tune in to any NBCU channel tonight to watch Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together. The photos, videos and interviews are heartbreaking. Thank you NBCUniversal and Comcast for gathering such talent to raise funds for such an important cause - our neighbours. God Bless all those affected, including the First Responders.

Comin' in Hot
11-02-2012, 06:00 PM
My power came back on 20 minutes ago, did shots celebrate!!!!!

jabird56
11-02-2012, 06:04 PM
I feel like its a losing battle with the DSNY. Always has been. You never heard about any whistle blowing going on with them. NYPD & FDNY, sure but NEVER with the DSNY I feel. I'm sure they'd come up with some "valid" excuse about why they sent the guys in. It's rediculous.

:type:

....Well,..... On Tuesday,.... I kinda sent an anonymous e-mail directly into the mayors office telling him what kind of MORONs he had for DSNY managers forcing employees to report for work in the middle of the evacuation zone, and that they had to seek shelter above the 1st floor for 7+ hours.

:coolman:

Papillon
11-02-2012, 06:08 PM
:type:

....Well,..... On Tuesday,.... I kinda sent an anonymous e-mail directly into the mayors office telling him what kind of MORONs he had for DSNY managers forcing employees to report for work in the middle of the evacuation zone, and that they had to seek shelter above the 1st floor for 7+ hours.

:coolman:

:bows::bows::bows::bows::bows: :bows:

WhatsUpDOHC
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
My power came back on 20 minutes ago, did shots celebrate!!!!!
ALL RIGHT!!!!!! HAPPY WEEKEND!!!!! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :beer::beer::beer::beer

wickedmerc
11-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Good news: my power reportedly came back on about an hour ago (almost exactly 4 days after it went out).

Bad news: I'm not home. We finally couldn't take anymore and we bailed to a relative with power this afternoon (all of our food was wasted anyhow). Kids are asleep now and we're settled in. My lit and heated house will have to wait until tomorrow to see my fat arse.

I realize they won't see it here but I want to publicly thank all the utility crews working around central NJ (some from far, far away) for their tireless, and sometimes thankless, work getting us and our neighbors back in business. Thanks also to everyone here for their well-wishes, support and concern. You folks are alright. ;) --> :)

Bigdogjim
11-03-2012, 12:02 AM

Hope you 2 are ok!

I spoke with Mrs.D the day after the storm and let her know I lost electric, got it back Thursday afternoon:up:

Bigdogjim
11-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Please. I can't tell you what an atrocity it is to hear this.

To quote a friend of mine: "Yes, the marathoners can jog past all the destroyed homes and people waiting on mile long lines for gas and know that the tunnel they're running through to go between boroughs just had bodies pulled out of them a couple days ago. Way to go Mayor" :shake:

Meanwhile, downtown NYC looks like something out of Call of Duty, you have people crying and begging for food and supplies and they are sending the National Guard into Staten Island just to keep the peace and prevent chaos. BUT, it's aaaaall about the bottom line for Blubbering-Bloomberg instead of the welfare and health or the citizens.

:shake: :mad2::shake:

Well it's off!

NYC Marathon: Bloomberg said it was being canceled (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/02/14880084-new-york-marathon-canceled-bloomberg-says?lite) e (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/02/14880084-backlash-erupts-as-new-york-city-prepares-for-marathon?lite)ven though he had earlier defended the decision to hold it Sunday.

What did you expect from a Mayor that back's the President?

Bigdogjim
11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Now I hear a Nor'easter is due to hit NJ again by the end of the week?

I hope the reports are overstated?

1stMerc
11-03-2012, 06:38 AM
I realize they won't see it here but I want to publicly thank all the utility crews working around central NJ (some from far, far away) for their tireless, and sometimes thankless, work getting us and our neighbors back in business. Thanks also to everyone here for their well-wishes, support and concern. You folks are alright. ;) --> :)

If you see one of the utility crew, be sure you go and shake his/her hand.
It will make you and him/her feel so much better.

It's not always easy being in customer service under the conditions they're in. People can be cruel when they're hurting.

jerrym3
11-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Storm track is still iffy, but the concern is that the protecting dunes are gone, so any water surge that wouldn't have been too bad may be very bad.

Sounds unbelievable, but someone on another chatbox claimed that friends in Seaside Heights, NJ, were told that the town is going to be razed and the infrastructure rebuilt, so they shouldn't plan on rebuilding for a year.

Again, maybe just a rumor, but depending on the extent of damage the whole town got hit with, maybe not a bad idea.

CBT
11-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Well it's off!

NYC Marathon: Bloomberg said it was being canceled (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/02/14880084-new-york-marathon-canceled-bloomberg-says?lite) e (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/02/14880084-backlash-erupts-as-new-york-city-prepares-for-marathon?lite)ven though he had earlier defended the decision to hold it Sunday.

What, too soon? :dunno:

sailsmen
11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Storm track is still iffy, but the concern is that the protecting dunes are gone, so any water surge that wouldn't have been too bad may be very bad.

Sounds unbelievable, but someone on another chatbox claimed that friends in Seaside Heights, NJ, were told that the town is going to be razed and the infrastructure rebuilt, so they shouldn't plan on rebuilding for a year.

Again, maybe just a rumor, but depending on the extent of damage the whole town got hit with, maybe not a bad idea.

Razing is the best idea. I pushed that after Katrina/Rita, even offered to burn down my own undamaged house. This way every thing is cleansed and every thing starts new. You still have places today in N.O were someone rebuilt and on both sides are houses that have never been touched since Katrina/Rita. It is a health hazard.
It also facilitates people raising their house.

My saying was Raise your house or Raze your house!

HiHoSilver
11-03-2012, 09:53 AM
We lost a big tree, hit the house, and took out the power lines to my house. Getting the tree taken care of today, and hopefully the power will be back on by tuesday. =/

Hadamustang1
11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Well it's off!

I fail to see the connection.. Please explain

sailsmen
11-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Out of touch. Living lifestyles of and with the Rich and Famous while telling others to "pull off the Band-Aid, eat our peas".

Ms. Denmark
11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Our power came on about 40 minutes ago! :banana: Eric doesn't know it yet cause he drove to the next town to get a shower at our friends place. I put the front light on for him! We were dark and without running water since 9 pm Monday night, but we feel so fortunate. We had no real property damage, no flooding issues, and our major roads were passable although without street or traffic lights. We were able to stay warm and reasonably comfortable for the duration. This house used to be our weekend place when we lived in NYC. We have a wood stove in the living room and a gas stove in the kitchen (can light the burners ) and there's the river right across the road where we got water to flush toilets. Since we had plenty of advance warning we had all our basic needs covered (water, food etc.)and a full tank of gas before the storm hit. I drove to work every day where we are on generator power with very limited resources, but my staff pulled together and we figured out how to function in spite of the problems. We still had no power at work last time I checked this afternoon. Our biggest issue became where to find gas. Since there was widespread power outages in our whole region, the few gas stations that were able to operate had lines of nearly 100 cars at times. Some waited up to 4-5 hours. Our local stations (BP and Sunoco) finally came back into operation yesterday. Eric spent an hour in line and I spent only 30 minutes in line today to fill up. We also got a truck load of wood just this afternoon. Eric was able to grill outside on the Weber so we used up meat that was thawing. Actually had some really good meals. We sat together by the fireside at night and talked and talked. Went to bed early. All in all we did better than so many others who have lost everything. We have so much to be thankful for. We are so saddened by the devastation all around us and our hearts go out to all who are suffering.

Thanks so much for the phones calls and pms (we can read them now!) Thanks to BigdogJim and Mrs. vtwoodsman (Marianne) for checking on us, and for all our friends here on mm.net. (I see Eric has some pms from Doom and racerx) We are so happy to hear that you all are safe and sound. We were particularly worried about those in NYC and LI as well as our NJ members. We'll have a lot to talk about next time we meet! God bless you all and now let's see what we can do for those who are not as fortunate. It's good to be able to communicate with you all again!

Krytin
11-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update Paula - relieved to hear you and Eric are ok (sounds like you might have had a little fun out of the adventure!).
Stay safe!

jerrym3
11-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Bloomberg was a FOX hero when he told OB not to come to NY.

Then, when he backed OB, he became a demon.

According to GOP leaders, OB had a terrible foreign policy plan. Then, overnight, it became an agreeable policy, according to Mittney.

Christie said OB couldn't find lightswitch in a dark room. Then, OB became a leader when Christie needed federal support.

Does anyone think that "private enterprise" would do better in this catastrophy? Business wants profit, screw everything else.

FOX's Steve Douce*** tried to interject politics into this disaster.

Governor Christie (R), to his credit, told him, in a polite way, to "take a fu====g hike".

Good for Christie.

When the hell are we all going to wake up? We are being stroked every which way.

jerrym3
11-03-2012, 05:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sad.

I don't have a house down the Jersey shore, and I don't go to the Jersey shore more than three times per year (two auto shows, one week's vacation plus a few daily trips with friends from grammar school), but it was a place where guys like me took our girls for a daily "date" trip in our youth.

Think about it.

There's no New England shore, or Maryland shore. or Charleston shore, or Jacksonville shore, or Miami shore (yes, there was a Miami Vice; case closed), or Marco Island shore, or Tampa Bay shore, or Pensacola shore, or San Diego shore, or LA shore, or Portland shore, or Seattle shore; there's the Jersey shore.

Now, I have been fortunate enough to visit all these places on business, and they are beautiful, but they ain't Joisey.

The Jersey shore was a place where a non 1%er could buy a house a few blocks off the beach without bankrupting himself.

I'm afraid to say that the Jersey shore will rebuild, but if there's another bad storm like Sandy in the next few years, and there just might be one, the Jersey shore (mostly barrier islands) will become nothing more than a reef.

The damage is devastating, the shore as I knew it, is gone. (An acquaintence in Mantalokoking, NJ, has probably lost his
home.)

Sad.

sailsmen
11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Having lived thru it, yes I am living proof that individuals persuing their own individual interest is what makes things happen. Doubt it just look at how well Communist countries have done.
Just look at how Walmart serves its customers compared to how the IRS serves its customers!*
Man best serves man individually and collectively thru private enterprise.
Gov't serves Gov't.
What do you think profits are? They are the result of pleasing their fellow man in an efficient manner. They are used to pay bonuses, hire more employees, buy more equipment, pay dividends, pay down debt, PAY TAXES, etc.
How are things in North Korea where there are no private enterprises and no profits?

*By it's own admission the IRS gives out incorrect information 50% of the time.

Papillon
11-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Paula, gald to hear you and Eric are doing well!! And welcome back to the "real world" albeit very sad as of late :(

Ms. Denmark
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the update Paula - relieved to hear you and Eric are ok (sounds like you might have had a little fun out of the adventure!).
Stay safe!

Paula, gald to hear you and Eric are doing well!! And welcome back to the "real world" albeit very sad as of late :(
Thank you! We were worried about you guys too! (You, Paul out on the island and Voula & Paul in NYC) It was an adventure and it was good to find out we could manage to stay in our home through it all. I made a list of things that we need to keep on hand in the event of another disaster. It just makes sense to be prepared. (Let's hope it's not for a loooong time.) Glad and relieved that you are all OK! But you're right....now that we have more access to the news, the real world is pretty sad right now. Jim Signorelli said Sandy came ashore in Hereford, NJ. There is a beautiful little lighthouse there, in a Victorian building surrounded by beautiful gardens right at the beach. We saw it on the lighthouse tour a couple of weeks go. I will post up pics of our 2 day tour of the Jersey shore....two of the most beautiful Fall days. I hate to think of what those areas are facing now.

Comin' in Hot
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Welcome back!!!!!

Bluerauder
11-04-2012, 05:27 AM
There's no New England shore, or Maryland shore. or Charleston shore, or Jacksonville shore, or Miami shore (yes, there was a Miami Vice; case closed), or Marco Island shore, or Tampa Bay shore, or Pensacola shore, or San Diego shore, or LA shore, or Portland shore, or Seattle shore; there's the Jersey shore.

Guess you have never heard of the Eastern Shore. It's known collectively as DelMarVa and includes the Delaware, Maryland and Virginia coastline. It runs from Lewes, DE to Cape Charles, VA for a total of 132 miles. The Jersey Shore is 127 miles from Sandy Hook, NJ to Cape May, NJ. Understand your preference and nostalgia for the Jersey Shore; but lets not discount all of the ones to the south. ;)

MERCMAN
11-04-2012, 05:49 AM
This is a thread that needs to be a politically free zone. The misfortunes of those affectedby Sandy will NOT be a platform for those who wish to voice their opinons about FEMA and/or the present administration in Washington

WhatsUpDOHC
11-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Good to hear from you Paula (and Eric)!!

Anyone - How are the Signorellis doing?

Ms. Denmark
11-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Good to hear from you Paula (and Eric)!!

Anyone - How are the Signorellis doing?

Hey Mark! Hey Derek! We need a Fudds meet to catch up on all the news! Glad you're both OK!

I last heard from Jim (Joann) by pm on Nov. 1. Jim said they were on high ground and had all the supplies they needed as well as a generator. He said the neighbors were even coming to their house for shelter.

71cyclone
11-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I am glad all is well at The Home front / I still haven't heard from a set of relatives in Jersey,, My other relatives in Jersey and NYC are fine [ The Lord has blessed You]

jsignorelli
11-04-2012, 08:14 AM
We lost power in the town from three days but my nat. gas generator kept the house going. We have become a hotel for family however. My daughter and her family live in Little Ferry. When the levees broke in Moonachie, three towns went underwater. He husband is the Fire Chief, so we know what he is doing. My grand-daughters picture at the rescue was the Bon Jovi backdrop photo during the NBC telethon last week. She was crying on the shoulder of the fireman who got them out of the house, and my daughter is in the background holding a laundry basket with their three dogs (dashounds). Their house lost the basement and garage. She lost her three cars, (TOTALED) Salt water is not kind on electronics of heating systems.

Krytin
11-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Guess you have never heard of the Eastern Shore. It's known collectively as DelMarVa and includes the Delaware, Maryland and Virginia coastline. It runs from Lewes, DE to Cape Charles, VA for a total of 132 miles. The Jersey Shore is 127 miles from Sandy Hook, NJ to Cape May, NJ. Understand your preference and nostalgia for the Jersey Shore; but lets not discount all of the ones to the south. ;)

+1 on that!
I like NJ - been to LBI!
Now a property owner on VA's Eastern Shore - turns out it's still there!!
Would've s**ked to have lost that 4 months after buying it!!

Glad we haven't lost any members (at least from what we know at this time!).
This is the kind of thing that (should) make us thankful for the good things/people in our lives and help us understand just what things really are important to have!!;)

CBT
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
We lost power in the town from three days but my nat. gas generator kept the house going. We have become a hotel for family however. My daughter and her family live in Little Ferry. When the levees broke in Moonachie, three towns went underwater. He husband is the Fire Chief, so we know what he is doing. My grand-daughters picture at the rescue was the Bon Jovi backdrop photo during the NBC telethon last week. She was crying on the shoulder of the fireman who got them out of the house, and my daughter is in the background holding a laundry basket with their three dogs (dashounds). Their house lost the basement and garage. She lost her three cars, (TOTALED) Salt water is not kind on electronics of heating systems.

Dayum! ...:(...

rayjay
11-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Hope all are well. Anybody know if there is any truth to a rumor going around up here that non union gas&electric crews from out of state were told to take their trucks and go home? Even though I was union all my working life, that just makes no sense at all to me. I know guys from our local g&e are working 16-20 hr days down there.

CBT
11-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Hope all are well. Anybody know if there is any truth to a rumor going around up here that non union gas&electric crews from out of state were told to take their trucks and go home? Even though I was union all my working life, that just makes no sense at all to me. I know guys from our local g&e are working 16-20 hr days down there.

I read about it:

“It turns out there was a 300-page contract that the union controlling LIPA [the Long Island Power Authority] wanted everybody to sign first,” the crewman told TheDC. “We don’t have time for that. We’ve got guys ready to go. You need lawyers for this.” (RELATED: Ala. utility, Fla. crewman blame electricians’ union for interfering with Hurricane Sandy relief (http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/02/ala-utility-florida-crewman-blame-electrical-union-for-interfering-with-hurricane-sandy-relief-video/))
An IBEW spokesman told TheDC on Friday that ”the IBEW did not send the documents” like those the Florida crew’s managers described, “nor did any of our locals.”
But he didn’t reply when asked if he had communicated with all 273 locals in the union districts where Sandy’s impact was felt. Those include 20 IBEW locals in New Jersey, 48 in New York, 10 in Connecticut and 52 in Pennsylvania.
A few hours after Christie spoke, TheDC reported on another case — this one involving an electric co-operative in Georgia whose workers were turned away from New York because they weren’t union members.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/03/christie-threatens-disaster-control-act-order-to-guarantee-nonunion-utility-workers-can-help-restore-nj-power/#ixzz2BM0qQn6s

Roadwarrior
11-05-2012, 06:32 AM
This article should clear up the rumor. Eventually, all kinds of help are welcomed.

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/some-nonunion-ala-crews-turned-away-from-sandy-recovery

rayjay
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
This article should clear up the rumor. Eventually, all kinds of help are welcomed.

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/some-nonunion-ala-crews-turned-away-from-sandy-recovery

Thanks. I was told the crew was from LA, but you know how rumors go.

Bigdogjim
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00sY4l84MX2W9/568x.jpg
I remember this coaster from Seaside:mad2:
Hard to belive that the storm waters move it away from the pier it was sitting on and left a few yards away in the ocean:bigcry: