PDA

View Full Version : Freight Shipping

ctrlraven
10-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Anyone know of a good company to go with? Looking to have about 250 lbs worth of something in a crate and few other little things shipped from a residential in MI to my work in MD. UPS wants almost $750 for plan jane ground shipping. :eek:

Mike M
10-26-2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.uship.com/

ctrlraven
10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
http://www.uship.com/
Already looked on there, one quote was $774 and the other was $1,359.

loud2004marquis
10-27-2012, 03:32 AM
We use a local company here in Michigan called Conway at my work. They're the best for us as far as price and quality. I definatly wouldn't trust UPS with that kind of weight!

RubberCtyRauder
10-27-2012, 04:22 AM
LTL (less than truckload) freight isn't so cheap anymore with diesel over $4.00 a gallon. You say from a residential in MI. Residential pick up and/or delivery can add $100 to $200 to the costs for a single shipment. Any way to have the crate dropped off at a truck company terminal? Also, depending on the amount of volume a customer generates, trucking companies often offer discounts to their " regulars" Does your work ship truck freight out regularly? It's possible UPS had it quoted thru their UPS Freight subsidy which used to be Overnite Transportation.

recommended LTL carriers for that traffic lane; Conway Freight (as mentioned) FedEx Freight (not the one that brings packages to the house)) UFS Holland, R & L Carriers, Old Dominion Freight Line, ABF Freight, YRC which is Yellow Freight and Roadway freight. These are well known established trucking companies that have been around forever. It won't be shipped for a couple hundred dollars. I'm guessing in the $500 range if you can eliminate the residential pick up

Spectragod
10-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Have you looked at Fed Ex Ground service, gotta specify "Ground".

ctrlraven
10-27-2012, 08:18 AM
This is what I am trying to have shipped plus internals and a few other things.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/2012-10-26232533.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/2012-10-26232604.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
10-27-2012, 08:28 AM
LTL (less than truckload) freight isn't so cheap anymore with diesel over $4.00 a gallon. You say from a residential in MI. Residential pick up and/or delivery can add $100 to $200 to the costs for a single shipment. Any way to have the crate dropped off at a truck company terminal? Also, depending on the amount of volume a customer generates, trucking companies often offer discounts to their " regulars" Does your work ship truck freight out regularly? It's possible UPS had it quoted thru their UPS Freight subsidy which used to be Overnite Transportation.

recommended LTL carriers for that traffic lane; Conway Freight (as mentioned) FedEx Freight (not the one that brings packages to the house)) UFS Holland, R & L Carriers, Old Dominion Freight Line, ABF Freight, YRC which is Yellow Freight and Roadway freight. These are well known established trucking companies that have been around forever. It won't be shipped for a couple hundred dollars. I'm guessing in the $500 range if you can eliminate the residential pick up

ive used almost all of the above mentioned with good results by all. im sure theres gotta be a terminal down there by you Chris but if not, theres both a YRC and an Old dominion terminal right by my work in newcastle if you can work out a cheaper price that way id be happy to help you out if possible.

Ozark Marauder
10-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I used Old Dominion a couple of times..no complaints.

http://www.odfl.com/MyRate/

OZ

Comin' in Hot
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
If you could have it shipped to a local business you will save a couple bucks, if the place has a Loading dock, it might be even more savings

ctrlraven
10-27-2012, 08:55 AM
It's at a person's house, I can have it brought to my work, grab a few guys from the shop next door and we will man handle it off the trunk, don't need no dock or forklift. lol

ctrlraven
10-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Looks like ABF Freight is the cheapest and their one yard is less than a mile from my work.

ImpalaSlayer
10-27-2012, 01:24 PM
It's at a person's house, I can have it brought to my work, grab a few guys from the shop next door and we will man handle it off the trunk, don't need no dock or forklift. lol

missing the point, having is shipped to a terminal is much cheaper

WhatsUpDOHC
10-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Can you call local truckers in MI and see if they're headed to your area of MD in the coming days? You may be able to piggyback.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ctrlraven
10-27-2012, 01:33 PM
missing the point, having is shipped to a terminal is much cheaper
The issue I have is the transporting of it from wherever to my house. I can have it delivered to my work where I can keep it there, take the block out of the crate and put it in the trunk of the Marauder or have it UPS Freight ship it since their terminal is within 500 ft of my shop and see I can borrow my uncle's truck to pick it up.

Update: seller may a local shop just ship the crated block and other stuff for him.

Joe Walsh
10-27-2012, 02:13 PM
JEEZ!
For $750 I would drive out to Michigan on an 'all-nighter' and pick it up myself.
550 miles/9 -> 10 hours one way
Gas, tolls and coffee would cost less than 1/2 of that freight cost!

guspech750
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Hellll, rent a van and go pick it up with a friend. Make it a little vacation of sorts.

I wouldn't trust any shipping companies shipping a pencil.

But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Comin' in Hot
10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
The issue I have is the transporting of it from wherever to my house. I can have it delivered to my work where I can keep it there, take the block out of the crate and put it in the trunk of the Marauder or have it UPS Freight ship it since their terminal is within 500 ft of my shop and see I can borrow my uncle's truck to pick it up.

Update: seller may a local shop just ship the crated block and other stuff for him.

If you ship it to work, getting at your house is easy. Go to Home Depot, buy one sheet of drywall, rent the truck for $20 for 75 minutes. Pick up your engine, take it home and take the truck back.

WhatsUpDOHC
10-27-2012, 05:03 PM
If you ship it to work, getting at your house is easy. Go to Home Depot, buy one sheet of drywall, rent the truck for $20 for 75 minutes. Pick up your engine, take it home and take the truck back.
Don't you have to sign up for a credit card too?

Comin' in Hot
10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Don't you have to sign up for a credit card too?

No, you need to show proof of insurance and and a credit card, but they only charge you for the time you have it... It's like 20 bucks for 75 minutes and 5 bucks for every 15 after and I think they pay for the fuel.

Quasar3210
10-28-2012, 04:42 AM
I did that at menards. Didnt even have to buy anything. Went picked up a mattress. And had it back in 75 mins. Cost me like 16 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackmobile
10-28-2012, 05:20 AM
When I was shipping a lot of parts I used: http://www.freightcenter.com/

ctrlraven
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
JEEZ!
For $750 I would drive out to Michigan on an 'all-nighter' and pick it up myself.
550 miles/9 -> 10 hours one way
Gas, tolls and coffee would cost less than 1/2 of that freight cost!

Hellll, rent a van and go pick it up with a friend. Make it a little vacation of sorts.

I wouldn't trust any shipping companies shipping a pencil.

But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom
I had thought about it, rent a truck or van from Enterprise for like $60 a day.

If it get it to my work then I can just borrow my uncles truck with trailer and not even have to lift anything. lol

Spectragod
10-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Road trip it, rent a small pick up or van, a couple of nights in a hotel and the van won't cost near $750. If you want to pay me $750, I'll pick the parts up and deliver them to you, just trying to help.;)

ctrlraven
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Road trip it, rent a small pick up or van, a couple of nights in a hotel and the van won't cost near $750. If you want to pay me $750, I'll pick the parts up and deliver them to you, just trying to help.;)
It's only about 10 hrs each way, would do straight up and straight back.