PDA

View Full Version : Deer, you gotta love them!

gdsqdcr
11-05-2012, 07:24 AM
:argue:

This week, the weather is supposed to be nice. I have no field assignments or details, so this was the week to drive the Marauder. She has been tucked up in the garage almost the last 2 weeks without moving. This coming Saturday, the NorCal Marauders are getting together at Alice's. Awesome week ...

NOT :argue:

I left the house at 0430. Turn on the road by my house where the speed limit is 50. Gradually start pulling up to speed and see 2-3 deer in the oncoming lanes of traffic being lit up with headlights only, by the local PD. I start to slow down, and see another deer on my right hand side. Slow down more, now ~35 mph. I have no clue where the deer came from that was in front of my car. :eek: I hit it with my front left corner. :argue:

As I am stopping, I feel the impact on the right rear of the car. :coolman:

Confirmed damaged: Headlight (the housing is the only thing left), corner light, fender, header filler panel, header panel, hood, bumper.

The bumper does not look physically damaged, just scratched up bad. The badgeless grill looks like it did not take any of the impact. The fender is tweaked pretty good where it meets the headlights/corner lights, I am thinking a new fender is in order. The hood is scratched, but does not look bent. The support for the headlight is TOAST!

What a way to start a Monday! :mad2::mad2:

She will be delivered to the bodyshop this afternoon.

I do understand in the grand scheme of things that I have nothing to complain about. But ... yeah ...

And for anyone interested, I did go back but could not find the deer.

~
Anthony

Shaijack
11-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Wow that was a crappy way to start a day. Good luck on the rebuild.
Stupid deer can't read.

stevengerard
11-05-2012, 07:33 AM
yeah, you are right "its just a car" but still upsetting none-the-less. My grill was trashed last week and it looks like whoever backed into me also cracked the header panel but a new grill should make it look fine. With a 750 deductible its not worth the claim. Glad you are ok.

DOOM
11-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Damn that sucks! Sorry to hear that man.

Haggis
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Jake I am putting you on my ignore list because your avatar is so damn ugly. :puke:

Mr. Man
11-05-2012, 09:42 AM
yeah, you are right "its just a car" but still upsetting none-the-less. My grill was trashed last week and it looks like whoever backed into me also cracked the header panel but a new grill should make it look fine. With a 750 deductible its not worth the claim. Glad you are ok.
Comprehensive insurance is cheap, at least in NJ. No need to keep such a high deductible. You should check with your insurance guy and see if you can get a lower one. I went from 750 to 50 for like 20 dollars more a year. :)

88LTDCV351
11-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Man, sorry to hear this. Get her fixed up as good as new.

gdsqdcr
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Man, sorry to hear this. Get her fixed up as good as new.

It will be fixed. At least the little chip I had in the hood is less noticeable! :D

gdsqdcr
11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Only $3K in damages. Less than what expected but the shop is insisting they can fix the fender without replacing it. They have already agreed, in writing, that I'd I do not like the repair, they will replace it. Insurance needs to agree ... But I ain't worried about them.

OEM headlight and corner light are being installed.
Aftermarket radiator support, header support and header panel.
A bit of paint work and realignment.

Scheduled to be done next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ms. Denmark
11-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Only $3K in damages. Less than what expected but the shop is insisting they can fix the fender without replacing it. They have already agreed, in writing, that I'd I do not like the repair, they will replace it. Insurance needs to agree ... But I ain't worried about them.

OEM headlight and corner light are being installed.
Aftermarket radiator support, header support and header panel.
A bit of paint work and realignment.

Scheduled to be done next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I feel your pain! Glad you were not hurt! Sounds like your damage was similar to mine fom a year ago. Hope the repairs go smoothly! I came this close to another deer encounter yesterday at about 6:15 AM on the way to work in the Aviator... another buck. He came from behind on the left this time and I caught him in my peripheral vision just as he crossed in my headlights. I thought for sure there would be an impact and I braked and steered to try to avoid it. I felt nothing, but in the rearview, he was sprawled and skidding on the road momentarily before leaping up and running off the road toward the reservoir. I pulled over and checked but found no damage to my SUV. (My muscles are sore this morning prolly from tensing and bracing for the worst.) I have decided that it is virtually impossible to avoid deer because in my case, they just appear at the last moment and basically run into me!

Baaad GN
11-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Why are all you guy's picking on Bambi! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OO91
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I hit two last night- 1 to the grille, 1 to the drivers door... Not much damage though. Gotta call the insurance company today.

Shaijack
11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Ms. Denmark you are a dear (not deer). They are attracted to you.

Ms. Denmark
11-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Ms. Denmark you are a dear (not deer). They are attracted to you.Thank you, Barry...I'll try to remember that next time! :D

maineiac
11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
One appeared infront of me today,good thing i was huntin not driving,yummy .

gdsqdcr
11-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, apparently aftermarket parts are not up to par with the body shop. They fitted all of them on, showed pictures to the insurance company, and now all replacement parts are coming from FORD. :beer: :D

For example, the header panel had a 1/4 gap on one side once installed.

I think the estimate just went up ...

Haggis
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, apparently aftermarket parts are not up to par with the body shop. They fitted all of them on, showed pictures to the insurance company, and now all replacement parts are coming from FORD. :beer: :D

Well last Thursday morning someone hit a deer in front of my neighbor's house. Animal Control came over and shot it and left it there. It was only a yearling, but vension is vension. My brother-in-law came over and helped me skin it and I carved it up into some steaks and saved a whole bunch of scrapes for the dogs to enjoy.

Mebot
11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Well last Thursday morning someone hit a deer in front of my neighbor's house. Animal Control came over and shot it and left it there. It was only a yearling, but vension is vension. My brother-in-law came over and helped me skin it and I carved it up into some steaks and saved a whole bunch of scrapes for the dogs to enjoy.

Michelle doesn't like venison, apparently :( now i have a bunch of frozen deer meat in my freezer.

Haggis
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Michelle doesn't like venison, apparently :( now i have a bunch of frozen deer meat in my freezer.

If you don't want it, you can always return it. ;)

Mebot
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
If you don't want it, you can always return it. ;)

Thanks but it just means it's more for me! Please send me a good marinade recipe plz kthxby

Haggis
11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks but it just means it's more for me! Please send me a good marinade recipe plz kthxby

Bourbon, good bourbon.

CBT
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM

How long they talking till you get it back?

Ms. Denmark
11-13-2012, 01:47 PM

I think the estimate just went up ... Hope this all turns out the way you want!! Aftermarket replacement parts are unacceptable for sure!

88LTDCV351
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Well, good to hear that you are getting real Ford parts. Should look good as new now when its done.

gdsqdcr
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
How long they talking till you get it back?

Friday, they think. It is suppose to rain out here Fri-Sun, so I dont mind if it does not come back till Monday. I have a truck to drive, and I do not want them to rush it!

gdsqdcr
11-19-2012, 05:05 PM
$3300 and two weeks later, but she is home now.

All OEM parts, not one aftermarket. What I don't like, one new headlight, one used .. I see the difference. But overall, it looks as good as new. One of the techs at the shop offered to buy it ... Nope!

On the way home, guess I am not used to driving her cause somehow a patch of rubber got left at a stoplight ... LOL