PDA

View Full Version : KIA,stand up company or caught by the Feds?

rayjay
11-06-2012, 07:55 AM
As some know I bought a KIA Sorento for my DD. Beats the crap outta my former DD, a Chev Aveo. Yesterday I received an email from KIA that they were revising their MPG estimates down for certain models of their vehicles. My Sorento has the DI 4 banger and qualified. They are reimbursing me what they feel the difference should be. Its not a ton of cash, but I won't turn down over $100 either. It has always been within the MPG range on the window sticker, but highway MPGs go down a bit above 70mph. I've seen 30mpg, but never the claimed 32.

The big question is though, did they get caught or is this their own doing? If its their own due to customer complaints, kudos to them for doing the right thing.

Before I get flamed on the Sorento I can honestly say we love this SUV. The cost to value ratio was way up there. Knock on wood, it has never been back to the dealer and we've put 14500 miles on it since 02 May 2012 (2 SC trips). I can not say that about any other car I have ever owned.

Cheeseheadbob
11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
I would bet it was not a Fed, "gotcha" situation. If it were, I am sure the jackals in the media would have been all over it, with the full backing and encouragement of the Feds.
As some know I bought a KIA Sorento for my DD. Beats the crap outta my former DD, a Chev Aveo. Yesterday I received an email from KIA that they were revising their MPG estimates down for certain models of their vehicles. My Sorento has the DI 4 banger and qualified. They are reimbursing me what they feel the difference should be. Its not a ton of cash, but I won't turn down over $100 either. It has always been within the MPG range on the window sticker, but highway MPGs go down a bit above 70mph. I've seen 30mpg, but never the claimed 32.

The big question is though, did they get caught or is this their own doing? If its their own due to customer complaints, kudos to them for doing the right thing.

Before I get flamed on the Sorento I can honestly say we love this SUV. The cost to value ratio was way up there. Knock on wood, it has never been back to the dealer and we've put 14500 miles on it since 02 May 2012 (2 SC trips). I can not say that about any other car I have ever owned.

Haggis
11-06-2012, 08:18 AM
It came out in the news not long ago and yes they were caught.

Mr. Man
11-06-2012, 08:23 AM
KIA?:flamer::flamer::flamer:.. .......:D

Bluerauder
11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I would bet it was not a Fed, "gotcha" situation. If it were, I am sure the jackals in the media would have been all over it, with the full backing and encouragement of the Feds.

This would only be true if it were an American car company. The imports seem to get a pass from the media because it is not fashionable or politically correct. I would bet that this was not a voluntary rebate.

Baaad GN
11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Remember when they first came out? I'm NOT into rice burners but to be Honest they have actually put out some half way decent looking cars compared to Ford and Chevy. They have come a Long way from the beginning.

Cheeseheadbob
11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Ah, my naïveté strikes again... :rolleyes:

It came out in the news not long ago and yes they were caught.

CBT
11-06-2012, 10:37 AM

If you like it, that's all that matters. :beer:

Vortech347
11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
KIA's are pieces of ****. I took a chance I purchased one new. It was the worst car we ever owned.

guspech750
11-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Both Kia and Hyundai were busted.

Both can go jump off the deep end along with Honda, Toyota etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Mr. Man
11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Both Kia and Hyundai were busted.

Both can go jump off the deep end along with Honda, Toyota etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom
I think Hyundai owns Kia

Bluerauder
11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I think Hyundai owns Kia

As of July 2, 2011, Hyundai owns 49.2% of Kia Motors.

rayjay
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
KIA's are pieces of ****. I took a chance I purchased one new. It was the worst car we ever owned.

How long ago? This SUV has been problem free. I can not say that about my other vehicles.

Bigdogjim
11-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Ok? What the hell is a KIA:confused:

Mr. Man
11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Ok? What the hell is a KIA:confused:
It's a little bitty car for little bitty guys that drive around tellin' 10 foot lies, OH OH short.....Sorry:rolleyes::D

Move on BDJ there ain't a shoehorn out there that will squeeze either one of us into one. ;)

Bigdogjim
11-06-2012, 09:27 PM
It's a little bitty car for little bitty guys that drive around tellin' 10 foot lies, OH OH short.....Sorry:rolleyes::D

Move on BDJ there ain't a shoehorn out there that will squeeze either one of us into one. ;)

How true! I tend not to check out cars I can fit into:shake:

I guess they have a use to some people.:P

rayjay
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM

You can't fit in a Explorer? Wow, you must have gained. :P The Sorento beat the Explorer in MT's latest test a couple months back. :D Remember, its a DD, not a toy and more comfortable than my MM. I may have Beep move the MM to SC and I'll drive the KIA as my back doesn't hurt as much when driving it.

duhtroll
11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
We have a KIA too - has more passenger room than the equivalent Ford.

I am 6'2" and I have more headroom in the KIA too. More headroom in the KIA than the Marauder.

And they are making good on the mileage screwup with rebates for the difference -- something I don't see lots of car makers doing.

Krytin
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM

+1 on that!

I also have a problem with cars from any country that doesn't have fair trade policies with the USA. That is, if there are prohibitive taxes/fees to sell an American car in country "x" and there are no restrictive fees on country "x" to sell there cars in America, I won't ride in much less buy a car from country "x"!! I don't car how good there cars are or if they have a plant in the US where they build them, they can go pound sand!!!

Mr. Man
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
You can't fit in a Explorer? Wow, you must have gained. :P The Sorento beat the Explorer in MT's latest test a couple months back. :D Remember, its a DD, not a toy and more comfortable than my MM. I may have Beep move the MM to SC and I'll drive the KIA as my back doesn't hurt as much when driving it.
Paula has an Aviator (fancy Explorer) w/ a sunroof and it's a tight fit. We should have got a Navigator. :)

Mr. Man
11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
We have a KIA too - has more passenger room than the equivalent Ford.

I am 6'2" and I have more headroom in the KIA too. More headroom in the KIA than the Marauder.

And they are making good on the mileage screwup with rebates for the difference -- something I don't see lots of car makers doing.
I have relatives from Iowa and they all slouch so no wonder the ceiling seems so far away. :P;)

rayjay
11-07-2012, 05:14 PM
+1 on that!

I also have a problem with cars from any country that doesn't have fair trade policies with the USA. That is, if there are prohibitive taxes/fees to sell an American car in country "x" and there are no restrictive fees on country "x" to sell there cars in America, I won't ride in much less buy a car from country "x"!! I don't car how good there cars are or if they have a plant in the US where they build them, they can go pound sand!!!

Whatever, mine says made in Georgia, USA on it. At least some working Americans assembled it. After last night I don't see fair trade as getting any better. In the mean time I'll cling to my atomic weapons.

hotford
11-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Remember when they first came out? I'm NOT into rice burners but to be Honest they have actually put out some half way decent looking cars compared to Ford and Chevy. They have come a Long way from the beginning.
KIA has advanced in the last 25 years faster than the big three did over the last 100....why is this........copying or steeling technology or reverse engineering......either way they are a force to be dealt with..........

look at there 5.0 in the flag ship car it's the same 5.0 in your stangs, only difference is the oil pan to fit their engine craddle.........:flamer:

Haggis
11-08-2012, 05:45 AM
+1 on that!

I knew I liked you for a reason.

rayjay
11-08-2012, 06:12 AM
KIA has advanced in the last 25 years faster than the big three did over the last 100....why is this........copying or steeling technology or reverse engineering......either way they are a force to be dealt with..........

look at there 5.0 in the flag ship car it's the same 5.0 in your stangs, only difference is the oil pan to fit their engine craddle.........:flamer:
I would not be surprised if they stole the technology. All I know is I wanted a Mazda CX5, not available. So we went to look at the smaller of KIA's two SUVs. My back didn't like the smaller one and it was about 5 cubic feet to small in the cargo area. They were cleaning out the 2012 Sorentos for the 13's and made me a really good deal all the way around. I was warned off on the Ford SUVs by an owner that I respect. Said he'd had nothing but trouble with his Edge. You can eat off any part of this guys cars and they are meticulously maintained. Not to mention he was a life long Ford guy. Now drives a Audi, now thats a friggin car, wow. Even he likes our Sorento.
The only problem is there are a million of them around here. I have to check for certain things to make certain we have the right one in a parking lot. :rolleyes: I bought the top end mid level model. Its not a toy or race car, but gets the job done admirably. and, Ill take the 28-30 mpg I get and my MPG rebate check. I have to stop at the dealer today so they verify the mileage.

duhtroll
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I slouched in the Marauder too...

I have relatives from Iowa and they all slouch so no wonder the ceiling seems so far away. :P;)

rayjay
11-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I received an interesting call from KIA today. They will be sending me a debit card for gas in the next 10-15 days. Then once every 6 months, they recheck the mileage and do it again. Uhm can we say life time customer?

stevengerard
11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
wow, something that actually came out of our government watching over the auto industry. I saw this in the news and was wondering what would happen. I am not a fan of foreign cars (well except for Porsche, Ferrari etc.) but I have to admit these latest line of Kia's and Hyundai's seem to be made well and some of them look great. Have you seen the Hyundai Genesis R. I took a drive down south and flipped out at the KIA facility in Georgia, hopefully the American companies are building plants like that now.

Glad the car is working well for you.