PDA

View Full Version : Another Deer

Ken
11-07-2012, 06:08 PM
So far, we've been lucky with the deer hits, I had a friend, and fellow Lion, that hit a deer last night with his pick up. My daughter got a text at three o clock this morning from his sister (her best friend growing up), that he was life flighted to a trauma hospital and was on life support awaiting her (the sister's) arrival from College. She heard that the deer went through the windshield and was found in the bed of the truck. I've heard rumor that he passed, but no confirmation, from the sister. So be careful out there

Ironically, I drove down that same country road exactly 24 hours prior. Posted speed limit is 55 mph. straight road, clear night. Wasn't my time...

R.I.P Paul

Ken

rayjay
11-07-2012, 06:45 PM
So sad to hear. DO NOT hit your brakes if a deer strike at speed is imminent for this exact reason. We are innundated with them here. They are handing out doe permits like candy bars.

Comin' in Hot
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Ken. I got a call last week from an ex-girlfriend that her dad was killed in an automobile accident when he hit a tree, they think he swerved due to a deer because it was a very high deer strike area. Bottom line if you are going to hit one, just hit it. Don't even take your foot off the gas. the cars are repairable.

Black Dynamite
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Deer.... More like horned forrest rats...

ajdereicup
11-07-2012, 10:41 PM
x2 RIP.

At times I'm glad I don't live in the country. We got squirrels that like being suicidal but they don't hurt anything when you hit them. But the other day I almost hit a goose that decided to fly across the road in front of me and I know that would've ended bad coming through the window

Ms. Denmark
11-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Ken. I got a call last week from an ex-girlfriend that her dad was killed in an automobile accident when he hit a tree, they think he swerved due to a deer because it was a very high deer strike area. Bottom line if you are going to hit one, just hit it. Don't even take your foot off the gas. the cars are repairable.

I know that's good advice and the right thing to do, and I would just hit the deer if I saw it coming, but it is nearly impossible to avoid the instinct to break and or swerve when they come out of nowhere in the blink of an eye. How do we unlearn that response? It might save a life.

Derek and Ken, I am so sorry about your friends. What a sad thing to happen.

SC Cheesehead
11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hear that. Had a lot of close calls years ago up in WI, but managed to miss 'em all.