PDA

View Full Version : Next round of mods coming up

FordNut
02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Parts just ordered for next mods. DR cylinder head cooling upgrade, DR level II tranny upgrade, PI Stallion 2800 stall t/c, B&M deep finned aluminum pan, Pro-M MAF sensor with conical filter.

Scott, get ready!

Almost got everything done for a N/A car except brakes now.

greyghost
02-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Parts just ordered for next mods. DR cylinder head cooling upgrade, DR level II tranny upgrade, PI Stallion 2800 stall t/c, B&M deep finned aluminum pan, Pro-M MAF sensor with conical filter.

Scott, get ready!

Almost got everything done for a N/A car except brakes now.
Sounds great Brian. Can't wait for for you to get them done. We need to get together and have some heads up racing. Should be a great day of racing.

SergntMac
02-28-2004, 06:23 PM
You guys are coming to Indy, right? Can't think of a better place for heads-up r r r r aaa cc i n g.

FordNut, I like where you're headed with your mods, but your selection on the MAF...Why Pro-M?

I've heard some not so nice things about their quality control. Do you have a choice still?

Zack
02-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Go with the Lightning MAF. After hearing Jerry W. and Paul fron Pauls High Performance complain about quality control, Im a little skeptical. There are idle quality issues with the Pro-M, but not from every unit sold. Pro-M is the only choice though for 500 + horsepower applications.

FordNut
02-28-2004, 10:07 PM
You guys are coming to Indy, right? Can't think of a better place for heads-up r r r r aaa cc i n g.

FordNut, I like where you're headed with your mods, but your selection on the MAF...Why Pro-M?

I've heard some not so nice things about their quality control. Do you have a choice still?

Still not sure if I'll be able to make Indy. Barry and I will probably get together for FFW ATL anyway.

Pro-M does have some mixed feedback but the LMAF conversion also has some mixed reviews on other forums. Here are my reasons for going with Pro-M.
1) No need to flash new transfer functions into chip, as it is calibrated for stock plug-and-play swap. The LMAF has different calibration so I would have to reflash for sure.
2) It comes with the conical filter. I believe the conical filter conversion is likely to increase hp more than the MAF. I only wish there was a cold air kit. I'll just have to come up with something.
3) I have been wanting to try the Pro-M to prove or disprove their claims of 17 hp gain. Even if I get half of that it puts me on the verge of 300 RWHP.

Pro-flow has 3 different MAF sensors for the MM now, the one I'm getting is a 80 mm Pro-M with conical filter, another is 85 mm OEM replacement bullet style, the third is a 92 mm Pro-flow for supercharged applications.

As with most of my previous mods, before and after dyno tests will be done and the results posted.

greyghost
02-29-2004, 05:46 AM
Still not sure if I'll be able to make Indy. Barry and I will probably get together for FFW ATL anyway.

Pro-M does have some mixed feedback but the LMAF conversion also has some mixed reviews on other forums. Here are my reasons for going with Pro-M.
1) No need to flash new transfer functions into chip, as it is calibrated for stock plug-and-play swap. The LMAF has different calibration so I would have to reflash for sure.
2) It comes with the conical filter. I believe the conical filter conversion is likely to increase hp more than the MAF. I only wish there was a cold air kit. I'll just have to come up with something.
3) I have been wanting to try the Pro-M to prove or disprove their claims of 17 hp gain. Even if I get half of that it puts me on the verge of 300 RWHP.

Pro-flow has 3 different MAF sensors for the MM now, the one I'm getting is a 80 mm Pro-M with conical filter, another is 85 mm OEM replacement bullet style, the third is a 92 mm Pro-flow for supercharged applications.

As with most of my previous mods, before and after dyno tests will be done and the results posted.
Brian I sure appreciate you being the guinea pig on the quest for 300 hp. We need to talk about Flashes emmision mods. there may be a few HPs in that. At the last "Southern Marauders Breakfast" (SMB) I talked to Flash quite a bit about the mods he had done. It included placing orffices in the EGR vlv,and another component, and rerouting the warm/hot water recirc line to the upper intake.

FordNut
02-29-2004, 06:35 AM
Brian I sure appreciate you being the guinea pig on the quest for 300 hp. We need to talk about Flashes emmision mods. there may be a few HPs in that. At the last "Southern Marauders Breakfast" (SMB) I talked to Flash quite a bit about the mods he had done. It included placing orffices in the EGR vlv,and another component, and rerouting the warm/hot water recirc line to the upper intake.

I talked to him about that a bit too. I've been thinking about the EGR restrictor plate/orifice idea. Ever notice how everything else in the area is nice and shiny but the EGR valve is ugly and rusty? I plan to paint it with Eastwood Stainless Steel High Temp Coating. It is supposed to be good for 1200 degrees. A few of the flanges in my exhaust system are not stainless so I got some of the Eastwood High Temp stuff to paint them with.

As for the water flow mods, I was thinking about something a little different. Like maybe a small heat exchanger connected in line to cool the water flowing into the upper intake manifold. Just put some extension lines on it to mount the cooler in front of the radiator. Something like a fuel cooler or small tranny cooler.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a phenolic spacer made to install between the upper and lower intake manifolds. Maybe a 1/4" thick spacer could be installed using 2 gaskets and longer bolts. Similar to the aluminum spacer Dennis had made for the ported/extrude honed intake he had at Ennis.

I'm not sure what the third mod is that Flash had done, you'll have to remind me. But I believe anything that can be done to keep the upper intake cool is going to help.

Cobra25
02-29-2004, 08:32 AM

Scott, get ready!

Almost got everything done for a N/A car except brakes now. I see you done alot of up grades to your car. One thing puzzles me , you said except brakes, are you running the factory stock brakes on your car?

glassman99
02-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Fordnut, what modifications have you done to the exhaust from the cats back?

FordNut
02-29-2004, 01:49 PM
I see you done alot of up grades to your car. One thing puzzles me , you said except brakes, are you running the factory stock brakes on your car?

Yep, still running stockers. Eventually I'll upgrade. I do have another test I need to do before I change brakes however. I've got a set of Police Interceptor pads for the front. Some claims have been made in the past that they were better than the standard pads. Just haven't gotten around to trying them out yet.

FordNut
02-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Fordnut, what modifications have you done to the exhaust from the cats back?

This excerpt from another thread describes the system. Do a search on kook's install and you'll find the thread that describes my dyno results too.

Kook's stainless headers, ceramic coated
Magnaflow high flow 2-1/2" stainless cats
Stock location for flanges after cats
All pipes are 2-1/2" stainless
Bassani x-pipe installed near stock location for h-pipe crossover
Edelbrock RPM stainless mufflers with ceramic packing material
Muffler hangers for '02 CV (2 hooks for each muffler)
Stock 2-1/4" tailpipes and stock tips