PDA

View Full Version : I-495 Express Lanes (Capital Beltway)

Bluerauder
11-19-2012, 05:10 AM
The new EZ Pass Express Lanes opened on Saturday, 17 November 2012 and already there have been several accidents near the entrances to the new lanes. Same, same this morning when someone accidently got into the lanes and stopped and tried to back up to get out of the lanes. :rolleyes: How dumb can you get?? Northern Virginia is working on being the stupidest drivers in the country.

I blame VDOT and Flour-Lane for this problem. Common sense says that if you have a major split in the traffic lanes, there should be plenty of advance warning so that people can get into the proper lanes well in advance. VDOT doesn't seem to understand this. They replicate the "short notice" issue over, and over and over again on projects. I guess the engineers at Flour-Lane don't understand either. This will probably end up being a 6 month - $5 Million fix to this problem. What freakin' idiots !!! :mad: No one will be encouraged to use these toll lanes if they are constantly blocked with emergency vehicles responding to accidents.

Mebot
11-19-2012, 05:14 AM
The new EZ Pass Express Lanes opened on Saturday, 17 November 2012 and already there have been several accidents near the entrances to the new lanes. Same, same this morning when someone accidently got into the lanes and stopped and tried to back up to get out of the lanes. :rolleyes: How dumb can you get?? Northern Virginia is working on being the stupidest drivers in the country.

I blame VDOT and Flour-Lane for this problem. Common sense says that if you have a major split in the traffic lanes, there should be plenty of advance warning so that people can get into the proper lanes well in advance. VDOT doesn't seem to understand this. They replicate the "short notice" issue over, and over and over again on projects. I guess the engineers at Flour-Lane don't understand either. This will probably end up being a 6 month - $5 Million fix to this problem. What freakin' idiots !!! :mad: No one will be encouraged to use these toll lanes if they are constantly blocked with emergency vehicles responding to accidents.

this is unfortunately a valid & true statement & actually the number one why I take mass transit every day to work. I hate being on the road in, northern virginia

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

71cyclone
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
this is unfortunately a valid & true statement & actually the number one why I take mass transit every day to work. I hate being on the road in, northern virginia

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

V-DOT employees play with ELDON and Tyco slot cars at lunch time to simulate actual driving :shake:

Bluerauder
11-20-2012, 05:21 AM
EZ Pass lanes have been open for 3 days. There have been 6 accidents already at the northbound entrance to the lanes. People are changing lanes suddenly at the last minute so they don't go into the toll lanes. Some people are slowing down, putting their flashers on, before deciding to go into the lanes. Our TV news has live overhead cameras watching the action and it seems like every 3rd car is making these last minute lane changes. I am surprised the number of accidents is not higher. This is a major Cluster ****.

BTW -- this project cost $1 Billion and it looks like very few cars are even using the new lanes. The lanes go to the wrong exits. Can't get off at Little River Turnpike southbound. Can't get off at Gallows Road northbound. VDOT and Flour-Lane have absolutely no concept of traffic patterns in this area. What dumb *****. :stupid:

71Cyclone -- I think VDOT is playing with something else besides slotcars. :rolleyes:

71cyclone
11-20-2012, 05:25 AM
EZ Pass lanes have been open for 3 days. There have been 6 accidents already at the northbound entrance to the lanes. People are changing lanes suddenly at the last minute so they don't go into the toll lanes. Some people are slowing down, putting their flashers on, before deciding to go into the lanes. Our TV news has live overhead cameras watching the action and it seems like every 3rd car is making these last minute lane changes. I am surprised the number of accidents is not higher. This is a major Cluster ****.

BTW -- this project cost $1 Billion and it looks like very few cars are even using the new lanes. The lanes go to the wrong exits. Can't get off at Little River Turnpike southbound. Can't get off at Gallows Road northbound. VDOT and Flour-Lane have absolutely no concept of traffic patterns in this area. What dumb *****. :stupid:

71Cyclone -- I think VDOT is playing with something else besides slotcars. :rolleyes:

:burnout: // >

Bluerauder
11-20-2012, 10:16 AM
BTW -- this project cost $1 Billion and it looks like very few cars are even using the new lanes.

At the current rate of useage of the EZ Pass lanes, I estimate that it will take 317 years and 33 days to recoup just the cost of construction. Assuming that VDOT and Flour-Lane can "boost" useage 10-fold (which is highly improbable), it will still take nearly 32 years of traffic 24/7 to pay for this project.

Once they figure this crap out, expect to see the tolls skyrocket. Simple math. Of course, VDOT has demonstrated over and over again with the timing of traffic signals in this area that it doesn't really have a grasp on simple math either. :rolleyes:

F8LBITEva
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I actually took the express lanes from Tysons to the Gallows Rd exit today. It was actually really nice to not have to take my foot off the gas for once. Im not sure how much I paid because its confusing to keep track of how much your trip is costing you but so far it shaved atleast 15 mins off my evening commute.

Bluerauder
11-21-2012, 05:10 AM
I actually took the express lanes from Tysons to the Gallows Rd exit today. It was actually really nice to not have to take my foot off the gas for once. Im not sure how much I paid because its confusing to keep track of how much your trip is costing you but so far it shaved atleast 15 mins off my evening commute.

Good for you. Seems that the EZ Pass express lanes work for you. But I suspect that is NOT THE CASE for most drivers on the Capital Beltway. Your trip was about $.90 which is not bad. Based on the listed prices on the overhead signs, the tolls seem to be pretty reasonable (for now). Useage of the new lanes is pretty low. Not much traffic using it at all. Price shouldn't be the problem. I suspect that the entrances and exits don't work for most people. They don't work for me. Maybe they will when we relocate to Tyson's next year. Until then, I will be watching the traffic density in the EZ Pass lanes. Right now, they seem to be a waste of asphalt with most people still in the regular lanes.

guspech750
11-21-2012, 05:28 AM
If I recall. Here in Illinois, when the toll express lanes opened. IDOT lowered the speed limit to 45mph while approaching the express lanes for the first year or two. Then bumped them back up to 55/65mph. I guess it helped those who "needed" help.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Bluerauder
11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
If I recall. Here in Illinois, when the toll express lanes opened. IDOT lowered the speed limit to 45mph while approaching the express lanes for the first year or two. Then bumped them back up to 55/65mph. I guess it helped those who "needed" help.

Wouldn't work here in the Northern Virginia area. :P Speed Limits are routinely ignored everywhere -- school zones, residential areas, secondary roads, highway .... it makes no difference. People don't look at the signs or even read them .... takes too much effort away from texting or talking on the phone. Besides most people think that the signs only apply to "Other" people. Far toooooo many people "need help" here. ;) There is NO WAY that some of these folks passed a driving test anytime in their lifetime. :rolleyes: