PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm alittle un-informed.

Rockettman
11-21-2012, 08:07 AM
While searching the Canadian Auto Trader site for Crown Vics, I came across many ex-cop cars at great prices.

Now, what I don't get is why so many obtain these cars. Don't get me wrong - as I mean no harm to anyone; but why buy a car that has plastic backseats, holes in the dash, etc?

Am I missing something "special" about these rides?
(Again I'm just asking).

Bluerauder
11-21-2012, 08:19 AM
While searching the Canadian Auto Trader site for Crown Vics, I came across many ex-cop cars at great prices.

Now, what I don't get is why so many obtain these cars. Don't get me wrong - as I mean no harm to anyone; but why buy a car that has plastic backseats, holes in the dash, etc?

Am I missing something "special" about these rides?
(Again I'm just asking).

Many of these old police cars get transformed into cabs for the taxi fleet. Not many big 4-door sedans out there to choose from. They can be had cheap and will last a long time with proper care. It is not unusual to see a taxi that started life in the PD with over 300K miles. I have even seen one with 350K miles and still going strong. ..... and the body style appeals to lots of people. Or maybe they just like the driver's side mounted spotlight. ;)

gdmjoe
11-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Rockettman - While searching the Canadian Auto Trader site for Crown Vics, I came across many ex-cop cars at great prices.

Am I missing something "special" about these rides? (Again I'm just asking).
You answered your own question ... "great prices"

And if you shop-around you can get bargains WITHOUT "plastic backseats, holes in the dash, etc".

The key is a P71 in SAP (Street Appearance Trim) that was in administration use. 2004 P71 beginning in 2004 ... most HP/FtLb due to Marauder-like airbox and MAF and associated ECM settings.
3.55 RAR with TracLok
law enforcement agencies (usually) maintain their fleet vehicles very well.
etc., etc., etc.. SAP same interior and exterior trim as the LX.
2004 was the last year before ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) -and- the radio antenna is still in the rear window (rather than RH rear fender - 2005).I've frequently recommended to family and friends to seek an as-low-as-possible mileage 2004 P71 SAP. As an example ... On my recommendation a friends brother in CO found a 2004 P71 SAP with 98,000 that was used by the FBI in MO. Loves the car - gets GREAT MPG (26+ ... does mostly extended highway driving), GREAT performance for a family luxuary sedan, DEPENDABLE, etc., etc., etc..

CBT
11-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Big, roomy ride that can survive a fender bender would be my reason.

DOOM
11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
They will last forever it maintained properly!

My 1st police package Vic was an 01 Pennsylvania state trooper car!

I had that car for 7 years and put over 242,000 miles on it.

NEVER LET ME DOWN!

Would still have it now but I fell asleep behind the wheel driving home after working 2 jobs and being up for 24 hours. :bigcry:

Now I have a 05 police package Vic with over 153,000 miles on it! Same thing! No issues!

I love my Vic's! :lovies:

88LTDCV351
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
My 1988 ex-Patterson New Joisey PD Crown Vic is still going strong. Was my daily driver for years before I got the marauder. If its any indication and being newer, my marauder will still be around a long time also. :-)

SC Cheesehead
11-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Two words: Cop Chip

;) ---------> :D

RacerX
11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Plastic seats, cage and doors that can't open from the inside are perfect for any family with kids or friends that are slobs. You want to see friends fight over "Shotgun" a used cruiser will do it! :lol:

SC Cheesehead
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Plastic seats, cage and doors that can't open from the inside are perfect for any family with kids or friends that are slobs. You want to see friends fight over "Shotgun" a used cruiser will do it! :lol:

:rofl: JOCULARITY! :rofl:

CBT
11-21-2012, 09:55 AM

You are just a roll of duct tape and a shovel away from scaring me....

Spectragod
11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Two words: Cop Chip

;) ---------> :D

Cop chip........FTMFW

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=1171

CBT
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
LMAO! Nice! :2thumbs:

Cop chip........FTMFW

guspech750
11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Cop chip........FTMFW

LOL!! Always a good laugh!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Billy
11-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't know why people buy P71s. They're not really that great. I've owned 3, but I would never buy another one after all the issues I've had with them.

You answered your own question ... "great prices"

And if you shop-around you can get bargains WITHOUT "plastic backseats, holes in the dash, etc".

The key is a P71 in SAP (Street Appearance Trim) that was in administration use. 2004 P71 beginning in 2004 ... most HP/FtLb due to Marauder-like airbox and MAF and associated ECM settings.
3.55 RAR with TracLok
law enforcement agencies (usually) maintain their fleet vehicles very well.
etc., etc., etc.. SAP same interior and exterior trim as the LX.
2004 was the last year before ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) -and- the radio antenna is still in the rear window (rather than RH rear fender - 2005).I've frequently recommended to family and friends to seek an as-low-as-possible mileage 2004 P71 SAP. As an example ... On my recommendation a friends brother in CO found a 2004 P71 SAP with 98,000 that was used by the FBI in MO. Loves the car - gets GREAT MPG (26+ ... does mostly extended highway driving), GREAT performance for a family luxuary sedan, DEPENDABLE, etc., etc., etc..
A few inaccuracies here:
1: 3.55s were not available in P71s from 2001-2007ish. So if you have a 2004 with 3.55s it's not factory.
2: Just because the 04 P71 and the Marauder both have 80mm mafs, it doesn't mean they have anything in common. The P71 has a cartridge style maf and maf housing that are permanently attached to the airbox, the marauder doesn't. Their specs are different, their transfer function is different, and even the airbox is a different design.
3. It's misleading to say that 04 is the "last year before" the rear radio antenna, because 2005 was the only year that had it.

Spectragod
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't know why people buy P71s. They're not really that great. I've owned 3, but I would never buy another one after all the issues I've had with them.

A few inaccuracies here:
1: 3.55s were not available in P71s from 2001-2007ish. So if you have a 2004 with 3.55s it's not factory.
2: Just because the 04 P71 and the Marauder both have 80mm mafs, it doesn't mean they have anything in common. The P71 has a cartridge style maf and maf housing that are permanently attached to the airbox, the marauder doesn't. Their specs are different, their transfer function is different, and even the airbox is a different design.
3. It's misleading to say that 04 is the "last year before" the rear radio antenna, because 2005 was the only year that had it.

3:55's WERE available in 01-07's, when we ordered our cars, we ordered them with limited slip and 3:55's, from Ford. All your other points are correct.

Billy
11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't know what to tell you then. I've read over the order guides and 3.55s of any kind were not available on p71s in those years, not even as a special order.
It was probably possible to get a one-off special order like that but I doubt it would have been cost effective.
Ford had serious issues with vibration when they put 3.55s in 99 and 00s, so they had to start making very expensive custom driveshafts for them. After 2000 they stopped putting 3.55s and custom driveshafts in these cars and didn't offer 3.55s in p71s until many years later.

Spectragod
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't know what to tell you then. I've read over the order guides and 3.55s of any kind were not available on p71s in those years, not even as a special order.
It was probably possible to get a one-off special order like that but I doubt it would have been cost effective.
Ford had serious issues with vibration when they put 3.55s in 99 and 00s, so they had to start making very expensive custom driveshafts for them. After 2000 they stopped putting 3.55s and custom driveshafts in these cars and didn't offer 3.55s in p71s until many years later.

Well, I ordered the cars, 15-20 a year, with 3:55's. Maybe I'm just special.:confused:

gdmjoe
11-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Billy - I don't know why people buy P71s.
They're usually less $$$$$ than the P73s and/or P74s.

They're not really that great. I've owned 3, but I would never buy another one after all the issues I've had with them.
Sounds as if you didn't research your selection -BEFORE- buying. http://www.gdmjoe.com/dunno.gif

A few inaccuracies here:
Excerpted from the 2004 order guide ...

P71/770A – Police Interceptor with Street Appearance Package (3.55 Axle)

Know -ALL- that (and more) and NEVER said that they were the exactly same (other than the 80mm size).

...Marauder-like airbox and MAF and associated ECM settings.
BTW ... The ONLY difference in the Marauder airbox and the 2004+ P71 is that the MAF housing is not molded-to / integrated-with the Marauder's airbox. Otherwise the airboxes are the same size, shape, and design.

Know that (and more) and NEVER said that 2004 was the last year that didn't have the RH rear fender antenna.

o 2004 was the last year before ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) -and- the radio antenna is still in the rear window (rather than RH rear fender - 2005).
Just so's you know ... There probably are some people that know more about the 1998+ Crown Victorias and 2003-4 Marauders than I do, BUT there's not that many (and I've got all the documents to back it up - all the way from marketing to year-end sales figures). This t'ain't my 1st time to the rodeo (don't let my post count fool ya).

gdmjoe
11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Billy ... I've read over the order guides and 3.55s of any kind were not available on p71s in those years, ...
Excerpted from the 2004 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

> P71/730A – Police Interceptor (3.55 Axle)
> P71/770A – Police Interceptor with Street Appearance Package (3.55 Axle)
Excerpted from the 2005 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Police Interceptor (3.55 Axle)
> Body Code: P71
> Order Code: 730A

Police Interceptor w/Street Appearance Package (3.55 Axle)
> Order Code: 770A
Excerpted from the 2006 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Excerpted from the 2007 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Excerpted from the 2008 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Excerpted from the 2009 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Excerpted from the 2010 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...

Rather than "read over", better read. http://www.gdmjoe.com/evil.gif

Ford had serious issues with vibration when they put 3.55s in 99 and 00s, so they had to start making very expensive custom driveshafts for them.
Don't know how serious it was (though it was covered by a TSB - 99-18-1). Excerpt ...

Some 1999 Crown Victoria Police vehicles may exhibit a vibration and/or transmission fluid leak from the extension housing seal area. This may be due to extended high speed operation which may cause the extension housing bushing or seal to walk/spin out due to excessive driveshaft flexing.

After 2000 they stopped putting 3.55s and custom driveshafts in these cars and didn't offer 3.55s in p71s until many years later.
This is B___S___ and Mis-Information!!!!!. FoMoCo didn't stop putting-in/offering 3.55 RARs.
The "custom driveshafts" were metal matrix composition and not that more pricey than the aluminum. But ... Every $ counts -and- only ~25% of FoMoCo's Crown Victoria production total were civilians.
That and ... They may have improved the balancing of the aluminum driveshafts (?) http://www.gdmjoe.com/dunno.gif
EDIT: Supplimental information excerpted from the above order guides ...

Crown Vic Police Interceptors equipped with a 3.27 axle are speed limited to 129 MPH,
Crown Vic Police Interceptors equipped with a 3.55 axle are speed limited to 119 MPH.

SC Cheesehead
11-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Excerpted from the 2004 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2005 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2006 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2007 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2008 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2009 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Excerpted from the 2010 Police Interceptor Order Guide ...Rather than "read over", better read. http://www.gdmjoe.com/evil.gif

Don't know how serious it was (though it was covered by a TSB - 99-18-1). Excerpt ...

This is B___S___ and Mis-Information!!!!!.

FoMoCo didn't stop putting-in/offering 3.55 RARs.
The "custom driveshafts" were metal matrix composition and not that more pricey than the aluminum. But ... Every $ counts -and- ~75% of FoMoCo's Crown Victoria production total was P71s.
That and ... They may have improved the balancing of the aluminum driveshafts (?) http://www.gdmjoe.com/dunno.gif

Ummmm, you do realize that gdmjoe is the resident expert on all things Panther, and in all likelihood has forgetten more than you'll ever have the opportunity to learn; don't you?:cool:

Shaijack
11-22-2012, 04:31 AM
My first LEO vehicle had only 250,000 miles and was in service for two more years after I recieved my new one. That was a 1980 one.

Silver03Vic
11-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Just because you've had problems with the cars you've bought doesn't mean they all suck.

SAP's are the way to go if you can find one, but on my car my only annoyance was the cheapo interior with a couple holes in trim here and there. Easily solved spending $20 at the junkyard however. Still on the hunt for a nice carpet and head unit though.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2jsb5i.jpg

jimlam56
11-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Ummmm, you do realize that gdmjoe is the resident expert on all things Panther, and in all likelihood has forgetten more than you'll ever have the opportunity to learn; don't you?:cool:

True Dat!
I've used Joe's resources many a time!
Thanks Joe!