PDA

View Full Version : Loss of MPG with Mobil 1 Oil?

rayjay
11-26-2012, 06:47 AM
This post is here because its related to my DD 2012 KIA Sorento, 16K miles on it.

I discovered it has a preference for Exxon/Mobil gas. Idiot logic tells me why not use Mobil 1 oil when I did my next change. Well, I had been using Pennzoil Platinum. I should have stuck with it. On a recent trip to/from our home down south it got 23.5mpg highway, it had been getting 27.5-28. Around town mileage dropped also to 21 from 24. I'm seriously thinking of changing out the oil back to the Pennzoil. It was the only change made to vehicle other than a tire rotation. It makes no sense. I tried switching gas, not much change. Hard to believe that using a tried and tested product would do this, but it did.

SC Cheesehead
11-26-2012, 06:54 AM
This post is here because its related to my DD 2012 KIA Sorento, 16K miles on it.

I discovered it has a preference for Exxon/Mobil gas. Idiot logic tells me why not use Mobil 1 oil when I did my next change. Well, I had been using Pennzoil Platinum. I should have stuck with it. On a recent trip to/from our home down south it got 23.5mpg highway, it had been getting 27.5-28. Around town mileage dropped also to 21 from 24. I'm seriously thinking of changing out the oil back to the Pennzoil. It was the only change made to vehicle other than a tire rotation. It makes no sense. I tried switching gas, not much change. Hard to believe that using a tried and tested product would do this, but it did.

That seems odd, Ray. Same weight oil? Any other additives to the oil?

Anythig else done to the vehicle while it was in for service?

fastblackmerc
11-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Might be related to the change to the w"winter blend" of gas.

SC Cheesehead
11-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Good point, Jim; I typically lose a couple mpg when burning the winter crap in my vehicles...:mad:

Mike M
11-26-2012, 07:08 AM
It was not the oil. Also if mileage is a concern Mobil 1 Makes a 0W-20 and a 0W-30 that will save another 3% in fuel mileage.

ctrlraven
11-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Winter blend gas is mostly the cause of it. I've noticed a decrease of 1-2 mpg in my MM and my weekly route is like clockwork, fill up on the same days at the same station every week.

DOOM
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Winter blend gas is mostly the cause of it. I've noticed a decrease of 1-2 mpg in my MM and my weekly route is like clockwork, fill up on the same days at the same station every week.

This ^^^^ :agree:

RF Overlord
11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
M1 and PP are very close in cSt at operating temps...there's no way using M1 caused that big a change in MPG. I agree it's the winter gas...

rayjay
11-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Obviously they use winter gas here in the tundra, but I noticed this all the way to SC and while driving there and back. Do they use winter gas in the southern states? As of today its down to 21.5mpg, normally 24 around here on country roads. My last fill was in PA on the way back. Its is still within parameter for the vehicle, but come on at $3.89 for 87 I could use a little help. -AND- whats with the extreemly costly car insurance in SC? Holy cow a 300% increase, on completely clean driving records with no at fault MVAs? I will say I saw some awful bone headed stunts down there with cars. Like the imbecile directly behind me who decide to make a right turn across threes lanes of traffic without so much as a turn signal on. I thought for sure he had gotten it when I heard the squeeling brakes. I had to follow this moron for a number of miles and finally got around his POS ghetto'd Civic. :shake: His number will be pulled very soon...

Shaijack
11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
The atmosphere up north is harder for a vehicle to push through. We don't have winter in the deep south. We have summer and hotter summer. I don't think we switch gas blends. I have never seen a difference in performance or gas mileage.
89 was $3.11 today. 93 was $ 3.40.

rayjay
11-26-2012, 07:24 PM
The atmosphere up north is harder for a vehicle to push through. We don't have winter in the deep south. We have summer and hotter summer. I don't think we switch gas blends. I have never seen a difference in performance or gas mileage.
89 was $3.11 today. 93 was $ 3.40.

Yep, $2.97 for 87 in MB,SC last week. $3.89 for the same gas here. I would not question it if it were the 2 mpg drop, but 4-5??? Maybe its the NAPA Gold oil filter I used. :rolleyes: Oh, and the wife's &^%$ing LS8 tossed a light again.... wheres my gas and matches.

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
On long trips, I have seen 28-28.5 MPG with summer premium and have always used Mobil 1 0w20 or 5w20.

Marauderjack
11-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Obviously they use winter gas here in the tundra, but I noticed this all the way to SC and while driving there and back. Do they use winter gas in the southern states? As of today its down to 21.5mpg, normally 24 around here on country roads. My last fill was in PA on the way back. Its is still within parameter for the vehicle, but come on at $3.89 for 87 I could use a little help. -AND- whats with the extreemly costly car insurance in SC? Holy cow a 300% increase, on completely clean driving records with no at fault MVAs? I will say I saw some awful bone headed stunts down there with cars. Like the imbecile directly behind me who decide to make a right turn across threes lanes of traffic without so much as a turn signal on. I thought for sure he had gotten it when I heard the squeeling brakes. I had to follow this moron for a number of miles and finally got around his POS ghetto'd Civic. :shake: His number will be pulled very soon...

When the refineries switch over most everyone gets the "Winter Blend"....much easier to distribute and more cost effective!!

10% Ethanol blends will reduce fuel mileage too.......your higher fuel mileage could have been achieved on 100% "Real Gas"?? :bandit:

rayjay
11-27-2012, 05:30 AM
When the refineries switch over most everyone gets the "Winter Blend"....much easier to distribute and more cost effective!!

10% Ethanol blends will reduce fuel mileage too.......your higher fuel mileage could have been achieved on 100% "Real Gas"?? :bandit:

Thanks, I was wondering. I have always used the "booze" gas in it. Only a couple places around here claim to have non alcohol gas. It is most likely the switch over to winter blend that is causing it. I changed the oil/filter the Monday before we left for SC. Most likely just coincidence. I have used Mobil1 in the past with good results. I only switched when they became a semi synthetic. The 5 qt bottle I purchased said full synthetic on it. ??? I don't know.

11/29/12, update, for what ever reason the vehicle is now getting its normal 24mpg here in the hills. ??? WTF....