PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever rent a car for a roadtrip

cvpiftw
11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Im taking a trip down to TN from IL this weekend and put a reservation in at enterprise for a econobox, got the collision waiver, and am planning on driving it there and bringing it back monday...
Think this is a smarter idea than racking miles up on my personal car

Im only 21 and this is my first time renting a car. I told them and they only charged me an extra 12 bucks. I know that they wanted a utility bill or a major credit (not debit) card and since my card got jacked a few days ago, i guess dads cable bill works, same name, right?

fastblackmerc
11-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Im taking a trip down to TN from IL this weekend and put a reservation in at enterprise for a econobox, got the collision waiver, and am planning on driving it there and bringing it back monday...
Think this is a smarter idea than racking miles up on my personal car

Im only 21 and this is my first time renting a car. I told them and they only charged me an extra 12 bucks. I know that they wanted a utility bill or a major credit (not debit) card and since my card got jacked a few days ago, i guess dads cable bill works, same name, right?

Whatever you can get away with.....

cvpiftw
11-29-2012, 05:48 PM
IDK i was just looking to see if any of you have done this before

PonyUP
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM

I've done this a time or two for work, no different than renting a car for any other reason

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

RacerX
11-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I like to rent a nice new car like a camaro on a Friday night, take it to my friends garage, hook up the 200 shot of nitrous, go drag racing all weekend, then return it Sunday night. :beer:

J/K!

Davesvt2000
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I've rented cars for road trips just to keep the mileage off mine, but only if I got a killer deal on the rental, like $99 for a weekend or something similar.

cvpiftw
11-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, im thinking this will keep miles off of my TL and the vic.

MyO4Rawdur
11-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Find out what states youre able to go to with it.
Enterprise was a little picky about how far I took the car so they said only three states in any direction. Watch how much they plan to charge for miles unless you pay for unlim miles.

REAL4WD
11-30-2012, 02:27 AM
my family took a trip from Los Angeles to Seattle. rented a minivan. like $29 a day, unlimited mileage (in state use only :lol:). Didn't actively use GPS to track the vehicle so they didn't know we took it out of state. Drove like 3200 miles in 8 days. the minivan got so much better mpg that even though we were paying rental fees it ended up being like two or three hundred dollars cheaper fuel wise, plus we weren't cramped, we could spread out.

was worth in that case. plus no wear and tear on our vehicles.

SC Cheesehead
11-30-2012, 07:01 AM

What, used my Dad's cable bill receipt as documentation? Nope...;)

J/K

Rental car's prolly the better way to go.

The IRS mileage reimbursement rate for POVs is $0.555 per mile. That's reflective of the fuel, maintenance, insurance, and wear and tear costs that you'd experience on a per-mile basis if you drove your own car, so do the math; I think you'll find the rental car a much more economical option.

sailsmen
11-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I rented a Bug with full coverage and went 2 wheeling with it. You just study the trail ahead and judge what speed it takes to get thru it. On some sections I got out to get a good look and guage the water dept. Too slow and you get stuck, too fast and you hit a tree. It was small enough to go on the ATV trail. Had a blast.

Brought it back muddy but undamaged!

Ozark Marauder
11-30-2012, 09:08 AM
I rented a Nissan Altima 2.5 S, once, on a special unlimited mileage weekly rate Avis had promoted. I went to Texas and back, put about 2200 miles on it. Was somewhat comfortable, and got 31 miles a gallon @ 75 mph, a/c blasting, on the highway.

OZ

Fosters
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
. .