PDA

View Full Version : Day-care in High Schools?

marauder21
12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
So there's a plan to have day-cares for high school teens who can't afford day-care and need help taking care of their babies during their high school years. (I'm talking about my school in particular)

I think this is completely BS for so many reasons. I mean in we can't afford a good program for auto class, sports, other classes, or even a better education for students, yet we can afford a useless daycare?
Another thing is do colleges have daycares as well? Cause if they don't then I don't think high school should have them when college students have more rights to have a free daycare.

Thoughts about this guys?

Cheeseheadbob
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
I am considered fairly conservative by most who know me, but when it comes to issues like this, I am in favor of having day care in High Schools. If it keeps just a couple of young women in school long enough to get a diploma, she will be able to get a job and support herself and her child. Also, these young kids will get some early learning instead of being camped out in front of the TV all day.

Colleges have day care as well, but most, if not all of the young children are from the surrounding area of the school. Colleges use the daycares as training grounds for their Elementary Education majors. So a win/win there.

So there's a plan to have day-cares for high school teens who can't afford day-care and need help taking care of their babies during their high school years. (I'm talking about my school in particular)

I think this is completely BS for so many reasons. I mean in we can't afford a good program for auto class, sports, other classes, or even a better education for students, yet we can afford a useless daycare?
Another thing is do colleges have daycares as well? Cause if they don't then I don't think high school should have them when college students have more rights to have a free daycare.

Thoughts about this guys?

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I think it's a little disturbing when it's so common that they can actually justify a program like this at a high school level, but like cheeseheadbob said, it might make the difference for someone that actually wants to finish school and go forward with their education.

Put me down for "mixed feelings" on the subject...

Bluerauder
12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I agree with Bob .... getting a high school diploma is one of the key indicators in becoming self-sufficient. Funding for such programs should not come out of the Education budget but from the HHS accounts at the County or State level IMHO.

Day cares in high schools are nothing new and some have been around for more than 20 years.

Statistically, the problem of teen pregnancy is actually at its lowest level since about 1946; but still of concern.

"The new Centers for Disease Control report covers teen birthrates from 2007 to 2010. While the U.S. still has one of the world's highest rates among industrialized nations, it has taken a sharp drop since the early 1990s.

Fewer babies were born to teens in 2010 than in any year since 1946. Declines were reported among all ages and ethnic groups, according to the CDC."

The study abstract below indicates that there are many positive effects of such a HS Child Care program.

Effects of an urban high school-based child care center on self-selected adolescent parents and their children.
Williams EG, Sadler LS.
SourceYale University School of Nursing, 100 Church St., South, PO Box 9740, New Haven, CT 06536-0740, USA.

Abstract
This study examined the effects of an urban high school-based child care center on parenting teens and their children enrolled during 1995-1998. Retrospective record review of 52 low-income, urban adolescent parents enrolled at the Celotto Child Care Center (CCCC) during the period of study was conducted from the CCCC and the high school records. Mean age of the student parents was 17 years (s.d. = 1.3) and mean grade level was 11.2 (s.d. = 1). Most parents were female (98%) and African American (62%). Children enrolled at CCCC had a mean age of 10 months (s.d. = 10.8). Students using the services of CCCC showed improvement in overall grade point averages, and 100% were educationally successful as defined by promotion to the next grade or graduating from high school. None of the students experienced a repeat childbirth during the period of CCCC enrollment. Ninety percent of children were up-to-date with pediatric health visits and immunizations. These results lend strong support to the importance of extending child care and social support services to teen parents, and for the implementation of high school-based child care centers as alternative sites for these critically important services.

Haggis
12-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Just neuter and spay all the students then they will not need daycare.

Vortech347
12-03-2012, 10:31 AM
My high school had a child care center. It was used for training of those planning on going into a field for child care. However I'm not sure where they got the kids from.

Cheeseheadbob
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
craigslist? :D
However I'm not sure where they got the kids from.

Shaijack
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Try sex education classes. Oh, Ya they give free condoms in high school now. Must have broke........
Cheeseheadbob you are right. Get them educated and jobs. Where are the dads?
I will not start anymore crap now.

sailsmen
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I grew up playing with kids from the orphanages that my family took in for free. They were the "difficult" ones.
Years latter when they became adults they would send holiday cards about the wonderful lives they were living. They were grateful for the time they lived with us.
It is time to bring back the orphanages. To give these children the opportunity to live a productive life.

My children have volunteered taking care of the toddlers at the Public High School Nurseries. It is the best way to teach abstinence.;)

guspech750
12-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Simple solution. Keep the pecker out of the Vajayjay or spend $20 for condoms.

Why the fk should Mr Mrs tax payer foot the bill for two kids being irresponsible.

Fk that bullsht!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

marauder21
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Simple solution. Keep the pecker out of the Vajayjay or spend $20 for condoms.

Why the fk should Mr Mrs tax payer foot the bill for two kids being irresponsible.

Fk that bullsht!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Its what im saying, they cut classes, clubs, sports, even laid off teachers, but yet we have money to setup a daycare for free?? :mad2:

And about the teens getting an education thing i mean if they do establish a daycare at least make the Teens work for it you know? like have to achieve good grades, certain GPA, or even have to apply for colleges. Like make the teens put effort to have the daycare service.

But what i think will happen is if the daycare is establish, wouldnt that in some way encourage students that "doing it" and having a kid is OK? I understand having a daycare benefits the students in educated them but come on!! School is for learning NOT having your kid taken care of. But idk there's Pros and Cons to this

sailsmen
12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
What is the income stream for the Mother being with no husband per child vs with a husband per child?
If the "daycare" is for free the Mother starts in 8th grade she could have 5 children and their income stream.
What is the income stream if the grandmother is a foster parent to the children?
Follow the money and it all becomes clear.
For the system and those on the system it is not about the child, it is about the income stream. The more the system pays out the more it gets.
What is the incentive to "work" and earn a wage?

PonyUP
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
What is the income stream for the Mother being with no husband per child vs with a husband per child?
If the "daycare" is for free the Mother starts in 8th grade she could have 5 children and their income stream.
What is the income stream if the grandmother is a foster parent to the children?
Follow the money and it all becomes clear.
For the system and those on the system it is not about the child, it is about the income stream. The more the system pays out the more it gets.
What is the incentive to "work" and earn a wage?

What's the income if they can't get a high school diploma?

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Bluerauder
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
What's the income if they can't get a high school diploma?

Estimates vary from about $6,000 to $9,000 more per year with a High School Diploma. Can't even get into the military anymore without one since studies have shown that having completed high school is one of the biggest indicators of a person's ability to complete the initial service requirement. More info below on the cash delta.

Over a 40 year working life, the HS diploma adds anywhere from $240,000 to $360,000 over your lifetime. Higher salaries and lower unemployment. This is a NO BRAINER.

"High school graduates earn more money than workers who never completed high school. How much more? Almost $9,000 more per year. In a time when online high schools have made a high school degree even more accessible, workers with a high school education were much less likely to be unemployed in 2009. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for workers with less than a high school diploma was 14.6 percent in 2009. For high schools graduates during that same time, the unemployment rate was 9.7 percent."

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
On the topic of these kids getting a proper education, I think it's important to note that they need to WANT it to actually get anything useful out of it.

I think it's pretty weak to argue in favor of a daycare for young mothers in high school if they don't actually want to get anything from school in the first place.

It should be fairly obvious, but the fact that many people in charge think that throwing money blindly at education will be the magic fix-all to help children become smarter means that it bears repeating: you can't MAKE someone want an education, they have to want it THEMSELVES, or they won't get anything out of the whole experience. Source: hundreds of thousands of dumbasses that got college degrees because they were told they should and can't figure out why they can't get work even though they are unskilled, unimaginative, and many times not even knowledgeable in the field in which they "earned" a degree...

marauder21
12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
On the topic of these kids getting a proper education, I think it's important to note that they need to WANT it to actually get anything useful out of it.

I think it's pretty weak to argue in favor of a daycare for young mothers in high school if they don't actually want to get anything from school in the first place.

It should be fairly obvious, but the fact that many people in charge think that throwing money blindly at education will be the magic fix-all to help children become smarter means that it bears repeating: you can't MAKE someone want an education, they have to want it THEMSELVES, or they won't get anything out of the whole experience. Source: hundreds of thousands of dumbasses that got college degrees because they were told they should and can't figure out why they can't get work even though they are unskilled, unimaginative, and many times not even knowledgeable in the field in which they "earned" a degree...

this is true.
It just bugs me that they took away one of my favorite classes(auto tech) because of low money. But they have enough money to run a daycare now..its not my fault Little Miss Goodshoes has a kid and not have money for daycare. If Mr Goodshoes had enough time to bring a kid to this world he better have time to get a job and provide for this child. its THEIR responsibility not the school to take care of the kids.:shake:

CWright
12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Best birth control my wife and had was keeping my neices and nephews. We waited 6 years after we got married. :thinker:

sailsmen
12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
"Originally Posted by PonyUP View Post
What's the income if they can't get a high school diploma?"

There is nothing from stopping someone who wants a HS diploma from getting one.

Day care at school, having children out of wedlock, not having a father in the household and not working are all incentivized by our Gov't. Our Gov't continues to incentivize self destructive behavior. Why the more money the Gov't spends the more it gets.

If I become separated from my spouse our children go to private University for free at the tax payers expense. That's right I don't even need to be legally divorced or legally separated.
From the official 71 page FAFSA Application Guide -
"Q. My parents separated four months ago. I live with my mother. My parents filed a joint tax return and claimed me as an exemption. Do I report income for both parents, or for just my mother?
A. Report only your mother‘s income and asset information because you lived with her the most during the past 12 months. Use a W-2 Form or other record(s) to determine her share of the income reported and taxes paid on the tax return."
Why do you need a 71 page guide to complete a 10 page application.
The first three steps to Tyranny - 1) divide into groups, 2) give some groups more rights than other groups and 3) disarm the populace.

PonyUP
12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
"Originally Posted by PonyUP View Post
What's the income if they can't get a high school diploma?"

There is nothing from stopping someone who wants a HS diploma from getting one.

Day care at school, having children out of wedlock, not having a father in the household and not working are all incentivized by our Gov't. Our Gov't continues to incentivize self destructive behavior. Why the more money the Gov't spends the more it gets.

If I become separated from my spouse our children go to private University for free at the tax payers expense. That's right I don't even need to be legally divorced or legally separated.
From the official 71 page FAFSA Application Guide -
"Q. My parents separated four months ago. I live with my mother. My parents filed a joint tax return and claimed me as an exemption. Do I report income for both parents, or for just my mother?
A. Report only your mother‘s income and asset information because you lived with her the most during the past 12 months. Use a W-2 Form or other record(s) to determine her share of the income reported and taxes paid on the tax return."
Why do you need a 71 page guide to complete a 10 page application.
The first three steps to Tyranny - 1) divide into groups, 2) give some groups more rights than other groups and 3) disarm the populace.

I agree with much of what you say here. But the answer is not they shouldn't have kids if they can't pay for it.

They are kids, they lack experience and any kind of forethought and certainly don't think about the consequences. They will have unprotected sex, they will get pregnant and without a family support structure, they will drop out.
Kids are the future, whether we like it or not. If a daycare will make it easier for them to graduate, I am all for it.
But I agree with an earlier post that it should be decided, implemented and paid for at the state level.
But there's more to it than that. For example, in Georgia our state council, conveniently after the election, voted themselves a 52% salary increase, money that could have gone for daycare, education, roads, and so much more. I think it's awful silly that congress and state governments can vote a pay increase without voter approval. When I want a raise, I have to ask my boss.
These people are overseeing a terrible state economy, 8% unemployment in Georgia and has implemented and created nothing over the last few years, yup that deserves a raise.
My point being is that there are good programs that are needed in this world, despite the believe that Democrats want to destroy this country with programs. All that is needed for good programs to be taken advantage of our two things

1) the determination to do wrong
2) and the desire to follow through

It's just like a scam artist ripping off a good person, or someone stealing a car. If they want it, no amount of preparation, security or defense will stop it.
In other words its not somebody being given things, it's people taking things which is a big difference.
But I'd rather see kids be given every opportunity to succeed through high school than make it harder because they were foolish.
You won't stop kids from having sex, when did everyone hear lose their virginity? I'll bet it was in their teens. We are also assuming these kids are all having unprotected sex, which many are. What about the kids where birth control fails, should we hang them out to dry to?
We need to help and teach our kids, not turn our backs on them because they were stupid

guspech750
12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
What's left to teach them. They all know damn well that if having sex, protected or not. There is a chance of pregnancy or STD's. For heavens sake. I knew this as well as many others way before high school. No amount of money be it private or tax payers, is going to fix stupid or ignorance.

But there are the few who have a child at a young age and become successful. So not all it lost.

Tax payers should not have to foot one penny towards such programs. Just another way of giving the ones who don't care an incentive and a pat on the back telling them its ok. Mr and Mrs tax payer will help which leaves Mr and Mrs tax payer with less money for their families.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

marauder21
12-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Hhhmmmm i was thinking, why not just offer the students like a quick GED or something, thatll make them be able to get a job? Or somehow make the teens WORK whether service hours, tutoring, or whatever and the school can provide them a daycare center Outside of school. Seriously though, Ive been working since 8th grade, I had time to work AND go to school. Its not that hard if you put your mind to it but when you have schools helping out students with THEIR problems like teen pregnancy, i believe the students wont learn to be independent.

sailsmen
12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
The Federal Gov't tells me to move out and separate from my family :mad2: so the children can go to a private university for FREE, FREE, FREE!

PonyUP
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Hhhmmmm i was thinking, why not just offer the students like a quick GED or something, thatll make them be able to get a job? Or somehow make the teens WORK whether service hours, tutoring, or whatever and the school can provide them a daycare center Outside of school. Seriously though, Ive been working since 8th grade, I had time to work AND go to school. Its not that hard if you put your mind to it but when you have schools helping out students with THEIR problems like teen pregnancy, i believe the students wont learn to be independent.

It's one thing to work and go to school, I did the same, but add a new born child on to it? It becomes much more difficult. It's much easier for them to drop out thinking working 40hrs a week at Burger King will get it done, then they end up on welfare, food stamps and become the freeloaders that all on this site speak of. They are going to be stupid and have sex anyways, some will become pregnant, doesn't daycare make it easier for them to stay in school so they have better opportunities for the future. Remember there is a baby at stake that didn't ask to be born into this situation, we should offer that baby an opportunity at a more stable life

Poverty breeds desperation, a teen mother without an education will end up in poverty. History then shows us drug use, prostitution, shoplifting and other crimes become much more attractive.

I'm not free spending with my tax dollars, but I believe in dealing with a solution rather throwing my hands up in the air and say screw em, they got into it, they can get out.
To me this is much cheaper than the costs we will pay in taxes based on what this mother could and likely will become

ajdereicup
12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
It just bugs me that they took away one of my favorite classes(auto tech) because of low money.

Do what I do to solve that. Work in a buddys shop on the side when you have time. Teaches you how to work on cars that you'll actually deal with not brand spanking new cars with no rusted on bolts etc lol.

My school had a daycare in it for people wanting to learn about it or something? It'd kinda make sense if they had one of those to let the kids put their kids in that. But charge them something. Even if its like $5 a month its something to hopefully help them think next time. I have a coworker whos alway broke. Hes got 2 kids and then informs us he thinks his gfs preggers again and hes freaking out needing money. Well 1st off use a friggin rubber. 2nd stop spending all your damn money the same day you get paid.

But then theres just people that no matter what they never learn.

But I do think colleges have discounted/maybe free daycare but thats not as bad as for highschools

marauder21
12-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah^ thats very true....but i believe all it comes down to is the student itself. With or without aid from the school it basically depends on the student and student only.
And Sailsmen...so i can get to college for free...if my parents move out temporarily?? :rolleyes: wwooowww

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

I remember back in my high school years, there were a number of people that dropped out and immediately went to the alternative learning annex (or whatever the hell cheery name they gave it). They got a GED within 3 years of starting school and were out working before the rest of us even graduated. Some folks looked down on these kids, but in all honesty, they probably had their **** together the most out of all of us.

The problem in the education system are too numerous to count.

Public high school doesn't really give you a damn thing these days, as they've opted to take out any kind of vocational classes at a huge number of schools. Instead, they'd rather build a curriculum around a standardized test, which in fact isn't even a very good performance benchmark to begin with in a lot of cases. Then they spend their time telling you about how much you just HAVE to go to college, no matter what you actually want to do. And God forbid you need some guidance on where you want to go in life, as the answer will be "go to college and figure it out as you go."

And then we're at where we are now, with countless college grads that still have no clue what they actually want to do, stacked with an outrageous amount of debt in student loans because they floated around different majors through much of college (which everyone INSISTED they had to do) and took longer than four years to finish, and they have no actual skills because they only studied theory in the classroom instead of some kind of practical application, and half of the time they only did it so they could pass the exam and get the credits instead of actually getting something out of the class.

So many kids just don't want it, and so many kids just don't know why they should want it anyways.

It just pisses me off to no end when I see politicians talk about more school funding like that alone is what's going to fix this problem. I know I haven't even scratched the surface here either....

ajdereicup
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
^^^I got my high school diploma in 3 1/2 years so ha!

marauder21
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I remember back in my high school years, there were a number of people that dropped out and immediately went to the alternative learning annex (or whatever the hell cheery name they gave it). They got a GED within 3 years of starting school and were out working before the rest of us even graduated. Some folks looked down on these kids, but in all honesty, they probably had their **** together the most out of all of us.

The problem in the education system are too numerous to count.

Public high school doesn't really give you a damn thing these days, as they've opted to take out any kind of vocational classes at a huge number of schools. Instead, they'd rather build a curriculum around a standardized test, which in fact isn't even a very good performance benchmark to begin with in a lot of cases. Then they spend their time telling you about how much you just HAVE to go to college, no matter what you actually want to do. And God forbid you need some guidance on where you want to go in life, as the answer will be "go to college and figure it out as you go."

And then we're at where we are now, with countless college grads that still have no clue what they actually want to do, stacked with an outrageous amount of debt in student loans because they floated around different majors through much of college (which everyone INSISTED they had to do) and took longer than four years to finish, and they have no actual skills because they only studied theory in the classroom instead of some kind of practical application, and half of the time they only did it so they could pass the exam and get the credits instead of actually getting something out of the class.

So many kids just don't want it, and so many kids just don't know why they should want it anyways.

It just pisses me off to no end when I see politicians talk about more school funding like that alone is what's going to fix this problem. I know I haven't even scratched the surface here either....

Thank you!1 :bows::bows:
Couldnt have said it any better. But apparently kids these days are "being taught the skill of a job it doesnt even exist in the present but in the near future." uuggghh :shake:

lmao graduating on Dec. 21, starting college January 23. (god willing and all goes as planned) so double HA!

ajdereicup
12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Lol congrats man. Just keep up the good work

STEPS
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Sad sad sad
we are going down the toilet as a society

marauder21
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Sad sad sad
we are going down the toilet as a society

if only people knew they had the power to control the govt..........(right)

Lol congrats man. Just keep up the good work

Psshh why bother the world ending like in 18 days..whats the point? or was that cancelled?? ;):confused:

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you!1 :bows::bows:
Couldnt have said it any better. But apparently kids these days are "being taught the skill of a job it doesnt even exist in the present but in the near future." uuggghh :shake:

lmao graduating on Dec. 21, starting college January 23. (god willing and all goes as planned) so double HA!

Congrats and good luck man, this can be one of the most badass times of your life if you play it all right.

Some tips no one told me before I went to college:

1. look A LOT for scholarships. Try to exercise all of your scholarship options before you go for students loans (if you have to get them). These scholarships are free money from people that WANT to give money to help further someone's education, so as long as you bust ass during and after school, you will have gotten your education and paid off any kind of moral debt to these individuals. I went to a private university, and many of these options were readily available to me, I just had to write appeals. It's a MAJOR thing to look for these days.

2. If you are undecided about a major, instead of asking yourself "what do I want to do?", consider asking yourself "what am I good at?" and see what fields those answers point you to and if you would be happy doing those things as a major. It SUCKS to get stuck in college-major-limbo. If you can manage to find a good counselor, they will be GOLD for you in your first couple of years, minimum.

3. When you are definitely decided on your major, make good inroads with the professors in your department. My college experience improved dramatically when I had the support of the professors in my department. Just like counselors, good professors are gold for getting what you should out of college.

4. Summer classes are a DAMN good option. Seriously. If you have the time and means to do them, DO THEM. It can help reduce your class load in the long run for the regular semesters, especially towards the end of your college career, when some of the classes really ramp up in what they expect of you in terms of workload.

I know there are others that I've forgotten, but these ^ are important to remember, however applicable they may be to your situation.

marauder21
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Congrats and good luck man, this can be one of the most badass times of your life if you play it all right.

Some tips no one told me before I went to college:

1. look A LOT for scholarships. Try to exercise all of your scholarship options before you go for students loans (if you have to get them). These scholarships are free money from people that WANT to give money to help further someone's education, so as long as you bust ass during and after school, you will have gotten your education and paid off any kind of moral debt to these individuals. I went to a private university, and many of these options were readily available to me, I just had to write appeals. It's a MAJOR thing to look for these days.

2. If you are undecided about a major, instead of asking yourself "what do I want to do?", consider asking yourself "what am I good at?" and see what fields those answers point you to and if you would be happy doing those things as a major. It SUCKS to get stuck in college-major-limbo. If you can manage to find a good counselor, they will be GOLD for you in your first couple of years, minimum.

3. When you are definitely decided on your major, make good inroads with the professors in your department. My college experience improved dramatically when I had the support of the professors in my department. Just like counselors, good professors are gold for getting what you should out of college.

4. Summer classes are a DAMN good option. Seriously. If you have the time and means to do them, DO THEM. It can help reduce your class load in the long run for the regular semesters, especially towards the end of your college career, when some of the classes really ramp up in what they expect of you in terms of workload.

I know there are others that I've forgotten, but these ^ are important to remember, however applicable they may be to your situation.

Dam...thanks so much man!! Yeah this is really helpful info!!! Yeah I'm trying to apply as many scholarships as possible honestly! But kinda hard to find! Lol
and as for the career, as of now I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of nursing or criminal justice type. But what I do hope will happen is that once I'm there, something will happen like destiny fate or whatever you call it will choose my rightful career. I mean basically everyone I ask "did you plan on being a teacher, doctor, or w.e," most will tell me that they didn't plan it that it just happened you know?

If you don't mind asking, what did you plan on being when first heading to college? Or what do you work as of now??

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Dam...thanks so much man!! Yeah this is really helpful info!!! Yeah I'm trying to apply as many scholarships as possible honestly! But kinda hard to find! Lol
and as for the career, as of now I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of nursing or criminal justice type. But what I do hope will happen is that once I'm there, something will happen like destiny fate or whatever you call it will choose my rightful career. I mean basically everyone I ask "did you plan on being a teacher, doctor, or w.e," most will tell me that they didn't plan it that it just happened you know?

If you don't mind asking, what did you plan on being when first heading to college? Or what do you work as of now??

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I actually entered college with computer sciences as my major. I always enjoyed working with computers, so I thought "why not? this should be right up my alley."

Turns out it wasn't.

I then switched to accounting and then to business, with the same problem, until I finally ended up in communications. I graduated as a communications major, journalism focus, with a minor in public relations.

Writing comes easy to me, and if I had asked myself what I was good at instead of what I'd like to do when I started, I probably would've finished in 3 1/2 years instead of 5. :depress:

I did work through those 5 years as tech support for the university I went to though, so I will probably still end up working in the technology field since I have so much experience in that area. :P Job market is pretty damn tough right now, and it sucks to go through an extensive interview process at a place only to end up getting turned down.

sailsmen
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Before you borrow any money for college sit down and do the math.

Will this debt result in enough additional income to pay it back?

I have a relative that borrowed to go to graduate school to become a lawyer. Can't get a job as a lawyer so she is a paralegal but can't pay back the debt to become a lawyer on paralegal pay.

She never sat down and did the math.

MrBluGruv
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM

I have a relative that borrowed to go to graduate school to become a lawyer. Can't get a job as a lawyer so she is a paralegal but can't pay back the debt to become a lawyer on paralegal pay.

BINGO

I swear to God, schools tell students these days that "if you have a bachelor's degree, you will have a million dollars more earning potential in your lifetime than if you only have a high school diploma," as though it's a guarantee, like it's just GOING to happen.

These were people that were supposed to help incoming students make educated choices about their future, but all they say is "you will make money, just do it."

I know I've been saying it a lot, but this is why there are so many unskilled grads that don't understand why they can't find a job, when they are told from day one that having a degree is essentially the equivalent of a job coupon.

guspech750
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM

But she didn't bank on becoming a paralegal. She had high hopes of doing what she wanted to do. To become a lawyer. Can't fault her for trying. She can still land her dream job. It's not like it's over for her.

Better to fail while trying than to fail from not trying.

On the other hand. My brother inlaw is going to law school. He will graduate in about 1 1/2 years. He's already been offered a position at a top firm in Chicago.

It's hit and miss a suppose.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Bigdogjim
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
You know it a whole new ballgame in school today (duh) Beening back in school bus after bout 32 years away from it's opened my eyes to stuff I wish I had never ever knowed about. I am not putting my thoughts in a "public place" because I don't what to have to ever have to account for for it. If you have not been involved in a school for a few years then go and get involved and get you eyes opened!

Mind you it's not all bad, there is a lot of good. Just the fact the some of thing that go on today would have never happened back when I was in school. (HS '66-'69)

Sometimes my buddies tell me it's time to retire:lol:

Hell maybe their right:)

IwantmyMMnow!
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
In my high school, there were 3 girls I can remember that got pregnant during my 4-year tenure.

One girl was pregnant at 14...I remember she was beginning to 'show' while she was in my drivers' ed class. Before the class was over, she stopped showing up...I wonder whatever happened to her.

The other girl was 16; she had the baby, then committed suicide about 6 months later. The grandparents raised the child.

The third girl was a senior and her due date was a month or so after graduation; she did go on to college, but I don't know what happened after that.

There was not a daycare program at my HS at the time. We adults sit here and rant/rave about kids being irresponsible, just like our parents did when we were teens. Teens will do irresponsible acts...just like adults. To turn our backs on them from the start is not the answer, however, it is a slippery slope. Odds are that if a support system is in place, the chances are something good will come out of it. To have nothing in place/turn our backs to the situation simply allows a no-win situation.

I don't know what the answer is in terms of 'who' should pay for daycare in high schools. We already 'pay' out of our pocket for other people's irresponsibilities...the uninsured motorist, the habitual drunk driver, the drug user, etc. I don't think 'we' have much of a leg to stand on and be able to point fingers at teens for being irresponsible when there are a fair amount of adults that act the same way. What do we see on the TV/internet or read in the newspapers nowadays? 90% of what is aired/printed is about how people, of any age, are not held accountable for their actions.

As for teens having unprotected sex...they aren't the only ones. I'll raise my hand...I'm guilty...and I didn't lose my virginity until I was 21. We expect teens to act like adults...well, the adults don't always set the best example. If my daugther (God forbid) gets pregnant as a teen, yeah, I'll be mad as hell, but I won't turn my back on her and will point her in the direction to get whatever monetary help she can get if the 'baby daddy' is a loser.

It's simple...fair, but firm. You want something for free? Okay, but what are you going to do to return the favor?

JM2C.......

Bigdogjim
12-03-2012, 11:35 PM
It's simple...fair, but firm. You want something for free? Okay, but what are you going to do to return the favor?
JM2C.......

The realy issue today is a percentage of the people now ecpect the Goverment to take care of 'em. That a great idea except we the people are broke? (or near that stage)

In my day (:rolleyes:) you got in to trouble you stood your ground and righted the worng, took care of the problem or get someone to show you the way out.

Not sit back and wave the white flag and say OK I'm in trouble where is my help? (meaning free stuff from Uncle Sam)

sailsmen
12-04-2012, 06:10 AM
But she didn't bank on becoming a paralegal. She had high hopes of doing what she wanted to do. To become a lawyer. Can't fault her for trying. She can still land her dream job. It's not like it's over for her.

Better to fail while trying than to fail from not trying.

On the other hand. My brother inlaw is going to law school. He will graduate in about 1 1/2 years. He's already been offered a position at a top firm in Chicago.

It's hit and miss a suppose.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

In her case the job market for lawyers was well known when she entered law school. She is smart but does not have the drive to make her way.
The problem is the Gov't set a noble goal - who ever wants to go to college goes by pumping massive amounts of money in the form of loans and grants. The cost of college soared at double the inflation rate just as housing did, ummm!:confused:
The non-tax paying colleges did not gear their programs to getting a job, only to getting the loans and grants.
Many if not most would have been far better off going to a tax paying college and taking a program that teaches for employment.

Rockettman
12-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Although I DO agree with the thought of trying to keep babies away from the "TV Babysitter"; maybe these "mental-midgets" should have thought about a bit of protection before getting to this stage!

If a teen feels she needs to ruin her life (the male included - IF he sticks around); then there are obviously bigger issues with these children at home or something.
YES CHILDREN! Cause that's what they are! Even if they don't think so.

Idiots!

sailsmen
12-04-2012, 06:20 AM
In my high school, there were 3 girls I can remember that got pregnant during my 4-year tenure.

One girl was pregnant at 14...I remember she was beginning to 'show' while she was in my drivers' ed class. Before the class was over, she stopped showing up...I wonder whatever happened to her.

The other girl was 16; she had the baby, then committed suicide about 6 months later. The grandparents raised the child.

The third girl was a senior and her due date was a month or so after graduation; she did go on to college, but I don't know what happened after that.

There was not a daycare program at my HS at the time. We adults sit here and rant/rave about kids being irresponsible, just like our parents did when we were teens. Teens will do irresponsible acts...just like adults. To turn our backs on them from the start is not the answer, however, it is a slippery slope. Odds are that if a support system is in place, the chances are something good will come out of it. To have nothing in place/turn our backs to the situation simply allows a no-win situation.

I don't know what the answer is in terms of 'who' should pay for daycare in high schools. We already 'pay' out of our pocket for other people's irresponsibilities...the uninsured motorist, the habitual drunk driver, the drug user, etc. I don't think 'we' have much of a leg to stand on and be able to point fingers at teens for being irresponsible when there are a fair amount of adults that act the same way. What do we see on the TV/internet or read in the newspapers nowadays? 90% of what is aired/printed is about how people, of any age, are not held accountable for their actions.

As for teens having unprotected sex...they aren't the only ones. I'll raise my hand...I'm guilty...and I didn't lose my virginity until I was 21. We expect teens to act like adults...well, the adults don't always set the best example. If my daugther (God forbid) gets pregnant as a teen, yeah, I'll be mad as hell, but I won't turn my back on her and will point her in the direction to get whatever monetary help she can get if the 'baby daddy' is a loser.

JM2C.......

Nothing is for FREE! Somebody is paying for it. MEANS TESTED WELFARE being received by 33.33% of the Population is the largest single Budget item, larger than SS, Medicare or Defense. We are printing 75% of the money the Federal Gov't is borrowing because no one in the World would loan us the money. Gov't redistributing wealth does not generate wealth, it destroys wealth by Gov't charging a fee to redistribute.
The FREE STUFF is being given away faster than the wealth is being generated. At current growth rates Fed spending will exceed GDP in 20 years then what?????
Our Gov't must stop rewarding self destructive behavior.