PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Ford 4R55E transmission? Need some help!

MyBlackBeasts
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Ok, I have a friend with a 1995 Ford Explorer - 4.0L engine & 4R55E transmission.
I Rebuilt the trans & it has been working perfectly for 22,000 miles. Last week a strange issue developed and I am hoping someone has seen/experienced it before to help diagnose. Below is description of problem. Thanks in advance. :D
----------------------------------------------
Issue: Delayed 3-4 (O/D) shifting.
194k miles, 22k miles since last rebuild using master repair kit containing friction & steel clutch plates, gaskets, seals, o-rings and sealing rings and band replacement.
With engine and transmission at normal operating temperature and transmission control switch (TCS) in "O/D off" mode, transmission makes all upshifts (except 3-4, as designed) and applies torque converter clutch (TCC).
Issue is with the TCS in "O/D on" mode. Transmission makes 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, applies TCC, then the 3-4 upshift is delayed. During the upshift, the engine RPM increases approx. 500 RPM until it finally completes the 3-4 upshift sometimes seconds later.
Any ideas??? :confused:

MyBlackBeasts
12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
All fixed. Bad valve body gasket. $6 and back on the road. :D

J-MAN
12-22-2012, 04:54 PM
I was just going to say that was the problem. :D